[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Before the Playstation and SCE Studio Liverpool days, was Psygnosis

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

File: psygnewsis.gif (14KB, 640x350px) Image search: [Google]
psygnewsis.gif
14KB, 640x350px
Before the Playstation and SCE Studio Liverpool days, was Psygnosis the ultimate example of "Style over Substance"? They made - and published - many visually and musically stunning games with flawed gameplay. Shadow of the Beast, their most popular game, is a very good example of this.
>>
dont talk shit about wipeout or colony wars
or TEAM BUDDIES
>>
>>3732112
Pretty much. Amazing art but mediocre gameplay.
>>
Destruction Derby is fucking great though
>>
>>3732127
>>3732131
Their PS1 games are really good (Sony was a good influence to them imo) but I'm talking about older titles. Things like Baal and Agony.
>>
>>3732112
They didn't have flawed gameplay, you just look at them with your millennial console baby eyes.

Computer games in the 80s did not play like Nintendo console games.
>>
>>3732254
yeah, 80s computer games kinda sucked and didn't stand the test of time and failed to have any real impact.
>>
>>3732254
>anything that isn't a european computer is a Nintendo console

You're reaching new levels of senile dementia, australia-kun.
>>
File: Lemmings-BoxScan.jpg (40KB, 320x371px) Image search: [Google]
Lemmings-BoxScan.jpg
40KB, 320x371px
OP has no idea what he is talking about. Psygnosis has many terrific games under their belts.
>>
>>3732224

> Baal

Amazed someone else remembers this. My fav box art ever still, I think.

Due to a bug in the game it was actually impossible to complete.
>>
The only Psygnosis game I ever played was Colony Wars: Vengeance.

That game was amazing. A little too unfair at times, but amazing.
>>
>>3732127
>wipeout
Wasn't that after the SCE Scouser rebadge?
>>
>>3732112
This was because they had a unique way of developing games. They would keep a repository of artists and musicians that aspiring bedroom programmers could have access to to produce a high quality game without the huge drawback of not having good art or music assets, or what WOULD be a high quality game if Europeans were actually competent at game design.

It's honestly a genius idea though, it gave all these games a very uniform look and made it so that they were able to churn out high quality work very quickly
>>
>>3733779

THAT explains Puggsy!

>Literally amazing atmosphere, graphics, music
>The manual is all about the object interaction system.
>>
>>3732112
>many visually and musically stunning games with flawed gameplay.
G-Police has no flaws
>>
>>3732913
confucius say: look up shit before talking out of ass
>>
They and Cryo.
>>
>>3733946
Didn't the same artist do Mickey Mania? His style is very distinctive
>>
>>3733965
I miss Cryo's stream of decent adventure games.
>>
>>3732254
>>
>>3732913
Psygnosis published that, they didn't develop it
>>
>>3733771
If you're talking about the Sony takeover, that was after 2000, meaning their last game was probably Wipeout 3 Special Edition.
>>
File: Capturee.jpg (79KB, 697x468px) Image search: [Google]
Capturee.jpg
79KB, 697x468px
vidya kino?
>>
>>3732112
I like their logo and the boxart for their games.
>>
>>3732112
European games in general are the ultimate example of style over substance, they were amazing programmers, artists and musicians but they could never make an actually good game or even one that was playable
>>
>>3733982
Still though, it was thanks to them publishing Lemmings that it became what it did, developing a game is one thing but getting it on the shelves is another especially before the internet existed like it does today
>>
>>3733982
>>3733963
I stand corrected
>>
>>3732913

DMA made this, dumbass.
>>
Hired Guns was pretty good, but that may have been DMA too.
>>
>>3732112

They cancelled all the good games at the last second.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wD_oFVeYZYo
>>
>>3732112
I think the majority of their revenue came from selling dev kits.
>>
>style over substance

I love this game, but it is a bad puzzler:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCllAqJtvKk
>>
File: demo.jpg (19KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
demo.jpg
19KB, 480x360px
>>3734362
This is because the European game dev scene grew out of the demoscene.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.