[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

From my first playthrough I decided to go with the original Baldur's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 3

File: c.png (460KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
c.png
460KB, 640x480px
From my first playthrough I decided to go with the original Baldur's Gate 1 instead of a port to BG2 engine (Tutu or BGT).

What are some cool classes you'd recommend? Archer?
>>
>>3731846
You made the right choice. BG1 does not have class kits just base classes and multiclassing/dual classing. Fighter/mage is fun and becomes OP in BG2.
>>
>>3731846
I've beaten vanilla bg1 dozens of times and even wrote an FAQ on it. Also I'm a munchkin minmaxing powergamer so keep that in mind. So play with whatever you want at first to just enjoy the game. But if you want the strongest... fighters are the single best class and bows are the single best weapon. There's absolutely no need for more than one mage and cleric. Kagain as the tank for his regenerating health is the only damage sponge you need. Give him that ankh armor you can find 20 minutes into the game. Summoning spells are godlike in this game. There's no limit to summons so abuse them on bosses. So have your bow users snipe enemies while Kagain or your summons tank. Sleep, blind, etc are all good. Focus more on status/movement debilitating spells than damage ones. Bards, multiclasses, etc are better for solo runs.
>>
>>3731846
Cleric ftw. Most OP class in the game. Cast spells in full plate, bonus spells for high wis, healing. Cleric op.
>>
>>3731846
Does dart fighter work in BG?
>>
When I first played BG1 I thought re rolling was cheating
>>
>>3731925
He's talking about BG1 vanilla. Cleric is nothing special in BG1 vanilla. The warrior classes reign supreme in BG1 vanilla because they can get the highest proficiency in bows and can use composite longbows. The fighter is the best among them all because he can get the highest proficiency in bows.
>>
>>3732001
I didn't even know you could reroll until my second run.
>>
File: sa.jpg (412KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
sa.jpg
412KB, 1920x1080px
I just made it to sarevok for the first time. Long ago I played trough bg2 but never got very far in bg1 for some reason. I'll try to do this in one.
>>
>>3732058
bows are for dummies. Cleric is objectively the best class in ad&d 2e.

They can wear any armor, including full plate. They can cast spells, including the all-important healing spells, and do so while wearing armor. They get bonus spells for high wisdom. They can self buff to 19 str easily outclassing fighters in melee. They also level up faster than fighters.

As long as you have the patience to click "reroll" until you get 89 or better, a cleric will leave all fighters in the dust, bows or no bows. If you want more damage dealers, there are Kivan, and Minsc
>>
plz don't fall for the above, you are better than this
>>
>>3732510
We're talking about BG1 vanilla, idiot. Clerics are mediocre in this game.

Bows have +1 attack per round in this game and do more damage, and acid arrows do a shitload of damage.
>>
if dubs
ill reroll into a fighter who mains bows

in bg2

wait is it good in bg2?
whats the best character to have in bg2?
>>
>>3732563
Ranged weapons are kinda weak in bg2, you would rather melee most of the time by that point.
>>
>>3732528
i know he's talking about vanilla, clerics are still better. A good cleric brings several times more to the party than "muh longbow", even with acid arrows.

hold person, dispels, heals, self buffs. You fell for the fighter meme, and I feel sorry for you.
>>
>>3732617
So berzerker or barbarian is best?
I haven't played bg in a few years
>>
>>3731976
Ask Vax and Zal.
>>
>>3732634
You're an idiot. Bye.
>>
>>3732650
>unironically thinking fighter was ever even close to cleric power level in 2e

confirmed for being dumb.
>>
>>3732635
Play whatever you like, don't feel obligated to minmax the game is not that hard. Any lone fighter-like can manhandle 90% of encounters and a mage will crush the remaining hairy ones. Everything else is for support, convenience and party banter. But yes berzerk/barb are very good. If you don't want to spoil yourself with metagame knowledge about weapon types, go with barb so you can spread your proficiencies a little instead of reaching for Grand Mastery in something you might regret later.

>>3732650
plz no more feeding the class vs class baits, the bard-related sperging out in the last thread was painful enough
>>
>>3732684
>thinking that bg1 vanilla is an accurate representation of 2e
Confirmed for being retarded.

>>3732510
>"easily outclassing fighters in melee"
Confirmed again for being retarded
>>
>>3732752
lol.

being this butthurt about clerics being 17 times better than fighters in bg1 vanilla.

made me chuckle.

Yes bows are really good in bg1, because 18 agility with good other stats is much easier to get than 18/00 strength with other stats that don't suck ass, and it gives you better thac0 than 18/00 str anyway. Also bows combine bonuses with arrows, and acid arrows do a lot of damage compared to melee weapons.

Which only serves to make fighters not lag light years behind clerics like the other classes do.

Reall - clerics are objectively the best class.

1. they can wear any armor, getting the same AC as fighters.
2. they have good hit points - slightly behind fighters but still good enough to be very tough, especially with full plate
3. they start the game with spells, and automatically get all spells, unlike mages.
4. they get bonus spells for having 18 wisdom.
5. cleric spells are more devastating to the enemy than a fighter with a longbow and acid arrows could ever be - hold person, draw upon holy might, dispel magis, animate dead, animal summoning, silence, Not to mention healing spells.
6. they can cast said spells in full armor

If you can't understand that one hold person does more actual harm to the enemy than an archer, you have no buisness giving "advice" to anyone.
>>
>>3731846
>Archer
If you're playing OG BG1 without any mods that drop it into the BG2 engine, you don't have class kits.

Unless you meant Ranger.
>>
How can I make life as a low level character not so terrible

I hate having to quicksave and quickload so much but even fighters can get wiped out in a single round with bad luck it feels like, I've made it to lvl 2-3 and things get a ton better but I feel tainted somehow having abused it so hard to survive the beginning

I've made a ton of characters, Fighter's definitely the best at level 1 because the base health and damage/accuracy/attacks per round but even that's not really consistent
>>
>>3732841
Use ranged weapons at early levels.

Everyone, including the mages and clerics, just kite the hell out of everything.
>>
>>3732802

>>3732510
>bows are for dummies
That's what you said.

>easily outclassing fighters in melee
That's what you said.

Admit it. You never actually played bg1 vanilla. I bet you only played bg1 using bg2's engine. Anyone who has played bg1 in its original form knows that bows are the most powerful thing in the game. Bows give you +1 attack per round. You start the game with 1 melee attack per round. Do the math, dummy. Oh, that's right. Too bad clerics can't use them.

I'm still laughing @ the idea of a cleric outclassing fighters in melee. Have you never even heard of something called 'attacks per round'? Clerics have a base of 1 attack per round for the entire game.

Actually play through bg1 vanilla or shut up. You just need 1 cleric in a party. He'll cast a spell or two then stand back slinging pebbles at enemies. Classes that can use bows meanwhile will be gibbing enemies faster than anything else possible in the game.

"outclasses a fighter in melee"
You're just too damn retarded, and you've obviously never even played bg1 vanilla considering you keep bringing up 2e rules.
>>
>>3731976
It kinda does, I guess, as long as you can ensure yourself a steady supply of the special types.
>>
>>3732454
>Enhanced Edition
>>
human fighter or ranger, dual class to cleric after a level or two.
only put pips in cleric weapons though, so no bows.
>>
>>3731846
Archer is OP as hell in BG1.
>>
>>3733218
The EE is only hated by alt-right and gamergate virgins.
>>
>>3733585
It was disliked long before Siege of Dragonspear.
>>
>>3731906
What's the basics of solo bard?
>>
>>3733979
In bg1 it's a mage with armor and bow. Summon meat shields with wand of monsters and plink acid arrows, or boost fire resist over 100% and allahu akbar with wand of fireball. You got basically infinite uses of wands with all the money in the game. With a few boost from mage spells you can also melee alright. In bg2 you can wield carsomyr while laying time stopping traps and other shenanigans of all kinds.
>>
>>3731846
Shaman.

No but seriously, Ranger/Cleric if you're going Human. Fighter/Druid's an interesting choice too, but good luck rolling the right stats for it.
>>
>>3733665
IIRC it was disliked at first because it was a buggy mess and you were essentially buying a pre-modded but buggier game for 10 bucks more.
>>
essential bugfixes/mods for bg1? Unfinished business, etc?
>>
>>3734112
Baldurdash's and Unfinished Business cover most of it. And yes some of UB's stuff is bugfixing.

The little quest pack puts in a good few small quests that don't detract from anything.

Oh, and 1pp's updated music. All it does is make everything sound better, which is a plus.
>>
>>3734112
https://www.gog.com/forum/baldurs_gate_series/a_conservative_modders_gui/page1

Quests described in Mini Quests and Encounters sound pretty stupid, so I'd skip that.
>>
>>3734145
Not him but one thing to add: replace BG1 tweak pack with Tweaks Anthology. Keep it for later, because it works with every IE game in existence.

The only other Tweak Pack you'll ever need outside of updating Anthology is the Planescape Torment one, because it's pretty unique.
>>
>>3734145
The bg modding community is a cesspool of human filth, you should stay clear of it all together.
>>
>>3734152
So is /vr/ so it all evens out.
>>
>>3734139
>1pp's updated music

This seems to be for Tutu only.
>>
>>3732852

i have played through bg1 vanilla (ther original, 5 cd version).

I see you still can't get past the "bbows give you more attacks, and nothing else matters" mentality.

at level 1, everyone has the same thac0 and attacks, so it hardy matters what class you use.
Past level 1, cleric's spells make a huge difference. Also - you do the math. A cleric with 19 str rips things up in melee better than a fighter with 18/00. Together with Kagain, and skeletons, clerics are the wall your archers hide behind, and dispel magic is the reason arrchers can do jack shit against mage bosses like davaeorn.
And hold person is a force multiplier like you wouldn't believe.

If you want an easy time killing stuff with conventional weapons, you play a fighter. If you know what you're doing, and want the most stupidly OP class in the game, that carries the whole party on their back, you play a cleric.
>>
>>3734194
It's for TuTu and ToTSC. The latter means Tales of the sword coast, which is basically the GOG version.
>>
>>3732001
>A cleric with 19 str rips things up in melee better than a fighter with 18/00.

But it doesn't, it doesn't work like that. Also you can get 19 str easily with a fighter too. I mean, maybe they can work as decent tanks but they kill little, in more than 10 runs in Baldur's Gate my clerics always killed less things than anyone else. Maybe you can improve it a little but no way they are going to kill better than a fighter.
>>
>>3734212
Then why did I get an error when I tried to install it?
>>
>>3734212
so we talking about setup_baldurs_gate_2.0.0.20.exe ?
>>
Are there any good custom class mods for BG2? Never really tried playing it with mods before and I want some variety.

inb4 Saerililth
>>
File: 1481983933435.jpg (34KB, 461x439px) Image search: [Google]
1481983933435.jpg
34KB, 461x439px
>>3733585
It was always hated. When it first came to the scene it was a shameless cashgrab capitalizing on the work that other modders had already put in while managing to release it with a staggering number of bugs and crashes.

Then after the BG2EE was released, they had all digital distributors pull the original copies of the game so the ONLY way you could buy them going forward was buying the Enhanced Edition.

The SJW Dragonspear nonsense came long after the fact well after the Enhanced Edition had established itself as hated by the fans and community.

The only people who don't hate it are literal shills and employees from Beamdog.
>>
The manual mentions penalties for failing to play your chosen alignment. Does anything actually happen? I'm playing a neutral good thief but I've started picking up more evil characters and want to do bad stuff occasionally, will something bad happen to me if I fail to act neutral good?
>>
>>3736803
It's really only Paladins that actually lose abilities if their reputation gets low. Otherwise you'll only get assorted roleplaying penalties like your quest options will change and your NPC companions will bicker more, etc.
>>
>>3736803
Not really, there are simply extensive rewards for playing the good path. Do note, that is no matter what alignment you are. Of course, while good characters, with the exception of Imoen, will turn on you if your reputation plummets, evil characters will get bent out of shape and possibly leave if your reputation peaks. Neutral characters act somewhat close to good ones.

It's seriously silly, actually. They should have handled reputation better. Like with evil characters in good parties needing to stay in noble or royal rooms to be placated, and probably also not being willing to rest outside, except maybe unless exhausted. And maybe also characters discontent with their party's course of action having to get drunk whenever at an inn.
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.