[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Opinions on Myst /vr/? I've never played any of the Myst

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5

File: 1.png (109KB, 256x307px) Image search: [Google]
1.png
109KB, 256x307px
Opinions on Myst /vr/? I've never played any of the Myst games but I'm aware they're meant to be good. If I did want to play the it which would be the best version to get?
>>
game sucks
>>
File: mazerunner_comparison.jpg (71KB, 399x671px) Image search: [Google]
mazerunner_comparison.jpg
71KB, 399x671px
Myst: Masterpiece edition. Original slideshow click-to-move style is better than the remade full 3D RealMyst versions. RealMyst does have some improvements but loses some of the atmosphere and careful image composition.
>>
>>3731493
>that pic
the bottom is original, the top is RealMyst, just to be clear
>>
File: ages-wp-stoneship-1920x1200.jpg (1MB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
ages-wp-stoneship-1920x1200.jpg
1MB, 1920x1200px
Myst has a very nice vibe, even though time hasn't done the graphics any favors (although they were pretty revolutionary at the time). Some of the puzzles are pretty damn good, making you be aware of timing and where things are in 3D space. Kind of funny to see a game like The Witness which is supposed to be a spiritual successor actually be a lot more primitive. The only thing I don't like is Pretty much the entire Selenitic Age, including having to power the rocketship. The power breakers on the electrical lines are located in an obscure place that I didn't even know you could go without looking it up. The whole place looks thrown together and the latter part requires you to either spend hours and hours tediously mapping a copy-pasted maze if you didn't already go to the Mechanical Age/notice the sound effects. Other than that I like it a lot, but wouldn't really recommend it.

Riven on the other hand is a 10/10 masterpiece.
>>
I have always hated Myst but it was a killer app for multimedia PCs back in the day.

It probably ruined people's perceptions of the adventure genre too but adventure was inevitably going to fade out.
>>
yeah it's decent, though it's remembered more for its unique atmosphere than for the puzzles actually being any good. Riven is a lot more impressive. after that it's downhill.
>>
>>3731505
App?
>>
>>3731502
>>3731510
Can Riven be played independently or do you have to play Myst first?
>>
>>3731510
>>3731565

Other anon here but as far as I remember, Riven isn't really related to Myst plotwise. It does use the same kind of world building but the puzzles were a little harder.
>>
>>3731565
Yes. Play Myst first.

>>3731626
Riven is a direct continuation of Myst, including the plot.

>>3731474
Play Myst Masterpiece Edition (or realMyst Masterpiece Edition if you'd like), then play Riven.
Try out Myst III and IV if you'd like. They are not made by Cyan, but Presto Studios and Ubisoft Montreal respectively.

URU, Myst V, were made by Cyan, but they don't hold up much to Riven's peak point in the series.
>>
>>3731565
It continues directly where Myst left off, but can be played independently.
>>
>>3731697
URU is notable because it's probably the only atmospheric puzzle game that can be played in online co-op
>>
Riven is the only game where I've actually had to write stuff down to beat it.
>>
File: 1469991435379.jpg (54KB, 510x587px) Image search: [Google]
1469991435379.jpg
54KB, 510x587px
Pic related
>>
>>3731545
that's what the kids call them these days
>>
>>3731493
>>3731494
Maybe it's nostalgia, but I prefer the bottom. I think the weird old graphics made the game more surreal.
>>
>>3731545
"App" is shorthand for "application", i.e. pretty much any program you run on your computer. At some point people started using "app" to mean more specifically "an application on a mobile device" and now here we are. HTH
>>
The great thing about Myst is that only one puzzle in the game actually matters. You can beat the game in about a minute if you know what to do.
>>
>>3732402
>The great thing about Myst is that only one puzzle in the game actually matters. You can beat the game in about a minute if you know what to do.
The puzzles are extra elements; the point of the game was to explore it, not get from A to B.
>>
>>3732402
Why is that a great thing? I mean, it's kind of amusing in retrospect, but I don't see how it's "great."
>>
>>3731545
>>3732351
>>3732384

'killer app' is marketing term that has existed since the 1980's. It refers to a piece of software so desirable that it's seen as proof the worth of hardware it runs on, and increases the sales of that hardware.

Myst was released in 1993 and required a CD-Rom drive and Soundcard - devices that were considered very much optional at the time, but soon became defacto standard in all new PC's after Myst.
>>
>>3732290
It's really stupid if you don't know at least what the levers do. Read the book you stupid fucks.
>>
File: IMG_3399.png (131KB, 200x303px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3399.png
131KB, 200x303px
Has anyone read the novels? Are they any good?
>>
>>3735342
Book of Ti'ana > Book of Atrus >>>>>>>>> Book of D'ni

Book of Ti'ana is about the backstory of D'ni and I think it's just a really good sci-fi story. Book of Atrus is the backstory of Gehn and Atrus and Riven. Book of D'ni starts off good then the rest is about literally-who's doing literally-who-cares.
>>
>>3732853
it is hilarious to see people scramble to out-hipster each other on here by calling out supposedly new trends while just revealing their own age

>>3731868
this. the only detail you need to know from Myst is "you free the guy who used to live on the island and he says he may need your help again". which can be inferred from the opening sequence.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.