[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Let's talk about the brilliant NEC PC Engine / TurboGrafx-16.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 10

File: PC-Engine-Duo-Console-Set.jpg (2MB, 4240x1660px) Image search: [Google]
PC-Engine-Duo-Console-Set.jpg
2MB, 4240x1660px
Let's talk about the brilliant NEC PC Engine / TurboGrafx-16. What are your favorite games? Hidden gems? Recent pickups? Replaced caps?
>>
>>3730985
Bonk yo

lol I mean what do you want? It's so prolific but also 90% Japanese exclusive it's like a Sega Saturn that was at market for a decade.
>>
>>3730985
Recently picked up coryoon with a bunch of other games. Game is really a lot of fun. Better than I thought it would be. Got it with a bunch of other games including ninja spirit which kinda underwhelmed. A lot of my friends said it was one of the best games on the system so maybe I had my hopes up? Gotta play it some more. It was def good tho.
Also wife got a me a duo-r for xmas since my pc engine's graphics chip decided to commit suicide.
>>
>>3730985
Neutopia/Neutopia II were fantastic Legend of Zelda clones/ripoffs.

Gradius for PCE was really good.

Magical Chase is both an excellent side-scrolling SHMUP and has one of the best soundtracks on the system.

I haven't played on a real PCE in over 7 years - I sold all of my collected systems for various reasons.
>>
>>3731039
Ninja Spirit is okay but it's pretty arcadey. Did you even love Rondo? Cadash actually was an arcade game but it's more like a console adventure game. Check out Son-son and of course Splatterhouse. Maybe Adventure Island. Also Neutopia for a top down zelda-type adventure.
>>
File: zonknewyear.png (499KB, 368x534px) Image search: [Google]
zonknewyear.png
499KB, 368x534px
>>3730985
I love the Bonk series. Revenge and Air Zonk are spectacular.
>>
File: 1432135194092.jpg (156KB, 442x293px) Image search: [Google]
1432135194092.jpg
156KB, 442x293px
>>3731060
>Ninja Spirit is okay but it's pretty arcadey.

Of fucking course the game is "arcadey" why would something originally released for arcades not be?
>>
>>3731075
Cadash isn't, as I said literally two sentences later.
>>
>>3731060
I really didn't give Ninja spirit more than 10 min to be honest. Gotta go back and actually played it. Had a couple people telling me it was the best game on the system.
Haven't picked up rondo yet, waiting to find a good deal but I like any 'vania so I'm sure I'll like that game. Plus I've watched a lot of gameplay of it and it looks dope. Been meaning to pick up neutopia as well.
Splatterhouse is one of my favorite game series of all time. Awesome game.
Die hard is really good on pc engine too. Fun run and gun game.
>>
File: 250px-Star_Parodier_cover.jpg (51KB, 250x249px) Image search: [Google]
250px-Star_Parodier_cover.jpg
51KB, 250x249px
This shit is fun
>>
>>3731134
Just burn Rondo
>>
Sell me on the PC Engine. I have an opportunity to pick up a Duo-R for a very reasonable price, but I don't really know anything about the game library, so I need a nudge. Any good adventure or platformer games that hold up compared to their SNES and Genesis rivals? I know about Bonk, but that's pretty much it. I also know Japanese, so that's not a problem.
>>
>>3732735
It's only worth getting if you get a Turbo EverDrive with it, otherwise you're going to spend like $1K on getting all the games and parts you need to enjoy it. The HuCard library alone is a ton of fun, and if you get a Duo you've got one of the best 8/16-bit systems ever.
>>
File: PCE shopping.png (29KB, 611x978px) Image search: [Google]
PCE shopping.png
29KB, 611x978px
>>3732750
>otherwise you're going to spend like $1K
Depends on what you're into I guess. My personal PCE shopping list is mostly 500 yen games. I'm mostly getting RPGs though.
Dunno so much about platformers like >>3732735 asked for. (Does "adventure" mean things like Snatcher, or things like Blood Gear and Dragon's Curse?)
>>
$1k doesn't really seem like too much if that's an entire library of games
>>
>>3732792
Fair, I had always wanted a PCE/TG16, so I grabbed an original model with controller and a TED for $140 total, and then I had access to almost every game I wanted to play. Not to mention that the TED can do US games on a PCE and vice-versa, which is cool. I'd love to play some CD-ROM2 games, but I mainly want to play the SMT port, and of course I don't read Japanese.
>>
File: FullSizeRender.jpg (884KB, 3008x1693px) Image search: [Google]
FullSizeRender.jpg
884KB, 3008x1693px
>>3732795
The PCE is a super expensive system to collect for. You could easily spend $1K on hardware and a handful of HuCard games if you were starting from scratch. The CD-ROM2 units are notoriously unreliable and can cost a small fortune to get a refurb healthy unit. That's why I went for HuCard stuff only with my stock PCE and EverDrive. They're built like tanks and still fairly cheap, not Famicom territory, but cheap enough.

Sorry to all for the double post.
>>
File: capacitors_may_need_changing.jpg (624KB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
capacitors_may_need_changing.jpg
624KB, 2592x1944px
>>3730985
>What are your favorite games?
Ys 1-4, Gate/Winds of Thunder, Cotton, Spriggan, Soldier Blade, Nectaris (Military Madness), Ninja Spirit, Alien/Devil Crush, Dracula X: Rondo of Blood, Bomberman '94, Splatterhouse ... like all systems, I can easily find games I love.

>Hidden gems?
Bomberman is on the disc with Gate of Thunder, Adventures of Bonk, and Bonk's Revenge ... you just enter a code, and surprise you got a bonus game! Was hidden then revealed to me via a magazine, and I was pleasantly surprised to get another game.

>Recent pickups?
I just got the Turbo Everdrive in a couple days ago from the Black Friday discounts krikzz had. I think someone called smoked or something had a organized set, but I am just tempted to throw on all the HuCard games I got in a torrent back in the early 2000s. Would love to know what are some good homebrews or fan translations to download onto it.

>Replaced caps?
Yeah, it has to be done by this point with a Duo.
>>
>>3732792
>Does "adventure" mean things like Snatcher, or things like Blood Gear and Dragon's Curse?
Either one, really. I'm a fan of both types.
>>
>>3730985
Replaced caps is a meme, I still have to find a SINGLE console / handheld that NEEDS cap replacement
>>
>>3733523
>Replaced caps is a meme, I still have to find a SINGLE console / handheld that NEEDS cap replacement

I have 3 or 4 saturns that need caps replaced because they otherwise need an hour of warmup to not crash while booting.

Then there are all the Laseractives, Game Gears, and Mega CD 1s that have leaky caps.
>>
>>3733523
The PCE CD-ROM units are another story entirely, it's not a meme. The standard PCE consoles don't need new caps, but the standalone CD drives and the combo units absolutely do.
>>
>>3733542
Must be bad luck than, I've owned about 22 consoles & handhelds from 1st to 6th gen and NONE needed/needs any kind of cap replacement

>>3733594
I'm not sure about that. I bought a refurbished PCE CD-ROM drive.
>>
>>3733827
Key word is refurbished.
>>
>>3733827
Most of my consoles are fine too but the Game Gear I picked up this year needs a cap replacement and my Turbo CD needs the same.
>>
Got a PCE for free recently, is the TED worth it? Also, what price do I pay for a CD ROM unit?
>>
>>3733934
TED is worth it, otherwise you'll be spending 5x the cost of the TED on the games you want. TED lets you play TG16 games on the PCE as well, not to mention that it will work as the required system card for the CD-ROM unit if you're planning on getting one. The CD system card usually costs more than a TED. Refurbed CD-ROM unit plus Interface Unit is probably $2-300. A lot of them are bundled with PCEs.
>>
There a good complete rom set for TG16/PCE?
>>
>>3733962
How did the different System Cards work?
I noticed that you would get a reminder to use System Card 3 if you tried to load a game with an earlier model.
>>
>>3734025
It's a big clusterfuck. Certain games require certain cards, but the SysCard3 will do everything below it (afaik) and the TED can pretend to be it. You've also got the arcade card which is its own thing.
>>
>>3734025
RAM, some games need more RAM which is why most used the Super System Card, a few games
needed the Arcade Systen Card which mostly were SNK Arcade ports, keep in mind that while

Arcade > Super > Normal CD Card

is true. Every later version let's you play previous kind (so with the Arcade cards you can play everything). There are a very few games that don't work with latter iterations (like Altered Beast). There's also the Express Card that is used for unlicensed ero stuff
>>
>>3731060
>but it's pretty arcadey
So it's pretty fucking awesome?
>>
>>3734018
Here you go, I put this one together from some other one. It's organized in a way that works on an EverDrive. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-IKYwFTEQUaUkZvZi1Ma2dEdE0/view?usp=sharing
>>
File: ys-iii-cover-2.png (979KB, 1038x576px) Image search: [Google]
ys-iii-cover-2.png
979KB, 1038x576px
All the Ys games are great.

Best music of any series of games ever made in my opinion. Serious.

The Perfect Collection arrangements are so tits.
>>
>>3733523
Then you have never tried to buy a Turbo/PCE Duo sempai. A man can make a living on cap replacing JUST those.
>>
>>3734065
Ryo Yonemitsu might be the best arranger in games
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpJBjDtCWiA
>>
>>3730985
>>>3734065
>Ryo Yonemitsu might be the best arranger in games
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpJBjDtCWiA

Totally agree. I still get goosebumps when the beat drops on Tigray Quarry (Be Careful).
>>
>>3734075
Maybe, I just see to many times people recommending it over any console/handheld.
>>
>>3733523
It's only an issue with the Duo

Duo-R and RX don't have this issue
>>
>>3733827
>refurbished
That means that you bought it with the caps already replaced.
>>
>>3735130
>>3733860
Although I can't check anymore, I remember it said it was refurbished because something of the drive (belt motor or CD spindle) wasn't working, nothing about caps
>>
Is a recapped Duo just as good as a Duo-R/RX, or are there other advantages to the -R?
>>
What are the best PC Engine CD games? (please no fighting games I dont like them)
>>
>>3737008
Any Falcom game
Rondo of Blood
Gradius 2
Xak III
Lords of Thunder
Gate of Thunder
Double Dragon 2
Download 2
R-type CD
Vasteel
Kazekiri
Super Darius 2
Wonderboy Monster Lair
Exile
Prince of Persia
Dungeon Explorer 2
Bazaru Degosaru
nexzr
Bonanza Bros
Forgotten Worlds
Mad Stalker
Zero Wing
Sylphia
>>
>>3734065
>>3734076
>>3734085
My niggas, you aint kidding.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pp4NNv8LTmU
>>
>>3732792
>I'm mostly getting RPGs though
Do you read moon?
>>
>>3737734
yah
>>
>>3731019
Bonk is slow clunky mediocrity.

>>3731058
Neutopia is uninspired mediocrity.

>ports
Yawn.

>Magical Chase
Pretty decent.

>>3731060
>ports
Yawn.

>Rondo
Hell yeah.

>Cadash
Shitty baby-mode port.

>more ports
Yawn.

>Neutopia
Crap.

>>3731062
>Air Zonk
All style no substance.

>>3731138
Baby's first shmup. Mediocre.

>>3732946
>Ys
Overrated.

>Gate/Winds
Boring as fudge.

>Cotton
Mediocre.

>Spriggan
Some of the ugliest artwork I've ever seen in my life. Absolutely hideous cinematics.

>Soldier Blade
Nothing special.

>Nectaris
Pretty good.

>Alien/Devil Crush
Repetitive as fudge.

>Rondo
Hell yes, one of the best games ever made.

>Bomberman
Fun with buddies.

>>3737105
>ports
Yawn.

>Xak III
LOL. Get outta here.

>Double Dragon 2
Atrociously bad Naxat garbage.

>Download 2
Mediocre.

>Prince of Persia
One of the worst PoP ports ever made.

>bla bla bla bla
Buncha mediocre drivel.
>>
>>3738236
This post had no point.
>>
>>3738236
>post wall
How about you tell us what is good than kid?
>>
>>3737816
あなたはこれをよみますか。
>>
>>3738298
You probably meant よめますか, not よみますか. Also, learn kanji, it looks weird if you don't use 読. And the あなたは is superfluous and unnatural in this case.
>>
>>3738381
>>3738298
Got btfo by japanon
>>
>>3732804

If anyone is planning to get into pce gaming read this post, that man speaks the truth.

If its something this system needs like hell is a phoebe/reah solution, like now. I've got a pce with a cdrom2 and is the only system I'm currently buying originals because my drive can't read copies (yes taiyo yudens written at 2x with a good plextor recorder, no dice, and no, I not touching these pots without a proper scope). The unit is a pre-iso 9660 piece of crap built with the cheapest materials around, If there's a system I will see dissapear in our lifetime is cdom based pc engines.

If you want to get into it, go for a duo-r or rx and be ready to pay "PS4 megabundle" prices for a working one, anything else is gambling.
>>
>>3740125
Your wrong, the console itself can be 100 to 300 (depending what setup you want), but most of the cd games work with whatever kind of CD-R's you can find. I used the the cheapest I could locally find and at 10x of the 80 or 90 copies I burned. Only 9 or so didn't work. The Taiyo Juden meme should stop already.
>>
File: Victim_of_scarcity.jpg (3MB, 2304x1728px) Image search: [Google]
Victim_of_scarcity.jpg
3MB, 2304x1728px
>>3738236
I was just answering the question from OP. Those games are some of my favorites for the system. I really love the Ys games on the Duo and I do not have an issue with other people loving the game too, their enjoyment of the game doesn't affect my enjoyment of the titles. The shooting games are all pretty fun for me as I am a fan of the genre, notable with Soldier Blade which I do think is pretty special considering it is a HuCard/TurboChip with its variety of sprites, backgrounds, and voice samples which signifies something impressive in a technical standpoint (and I have a blast playing it) at least to me. The Crush games are pinball games, which I think is inherent with that game type. I also enjoy the single player (it's also co-op) campaign in Bomberman '94 as well as its usual party deathmatch modes.

It appears that the PC-Engine/TurboGrafx-16 may not be the system for you. There are Castlevania games on the NES and Gameboy Advance if you are looking for more of those.

I just find it strange that you feel Magical Chase is pretty decent while Cotton is mediocre. I like both and there are subtle mechanical differences that differentiates the games, but at their core they are relatively similar shooting games to me. I cannot afford an authentic Magical Chase but I played it through emulation, and I do not feel like the star (options) mechanic and item purchase inflation mechanic puts the game over the top to elevate it over Cotton.
>>
>>3735326
I would say a recapped Duo is actually better. The Duo-R was cost reduced, so it changed stuff like the card slot but who knows if anything else is cheaper. More importantly, Duo-R's white plastic is subject to yellowing and looking like shit while a black duo will never change color, and the black and purple color scheme and case design are 80's cool.
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.