[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does the N64 have the worst library of any major console? I mean

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 171
Thread images: 20

File: N64.jpg (2MB, 3917x2108px) Image search: [Google]
N64.jpg
2MB, 3917x2108px
Does the N64 have the worst library of any major console? I mean it has first-party Nintendo games, it has Rare games, and then... it's just nothing. A barren sea of shovelware as far as I can tell. Am I missing something about this console or can you pretty much pack it up after playing the classics, the 20-some good games it has?
>>
It was the last stop before the Wii, appreciate it for what it has.
>>
I'd rather have a few FUN first party games than a bunch of AAA that's actually shit.
>>
>>3729162
The problem is that its main competitor, the PS1, has a wide range of quality developers and titles. I'm not saying the N64 is bad itself, the first party titles are nice, but it's seriously bad in numbers.
>>
It wasn't shovelware, shovelware was the PS1's specialty. The most movie games, sports games, ports, etc.

N64 had Nintendo published games and for the most part had just weird garbage that people only paid attention to for lack of competition.

I also can't think of any port to the N64 that was good, so not a single person in their right mind would pick that system for general gaming.

Having said all that, the N64 did a lot of things right. It had several games that set the standard for the 2D to 3D transition that most companies were failing miserably at. People look at Ocarina of Time and either don't remember or just have no clue that that was the best of the best for third person adventure or action games at the time.
>>
>Am I missing something about this console

You're probably missing stuff like Goemon series and Japan imports, as well as some other 3rd party games that are worth checking out, for example fans of wrestling games still hold the N64 wrestling titles by developer Aki as some of the best in the genre.
I wouldn't say N64 is the worst major console, at all, but it's a paticular one, it's not as universal as NES or SNES, that's for sure.

And yeah as already said, shovelware was the PS.
>>
>>3729170
The testament to how good OoT was at the time is how badly other action games of the era hold up today.
>>
File: 197950_10731_front.jpg (36KB, 337x458px) Image search: [Google]
197950_10731_front.jpg
36KB, 337x458px
There are some gems on this console, but it is barren when comparing it to other consoles of the gen, such as PS1.

Try:Mischief Makers
Ogre Battle 64
Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness
Harvest Moon 64
The 2 Goemon games (Previously mentioned)
Various imports (Sin and Punishment?)

There's some good stuff there but you have to look for it.
>>
>>3729170
>I also can't think of any port to the N64 that was good
Any Midway arcade port
>>
>>3729152
Oh look, it's this thread again.

I'll always stand by the "quality over quantity" statement when it comes to N64. I have maybe 24 games for the N64, but I love them all. They're all great, and many of the first party ones are landmark titles in the history of gaming.

Meanwhile, PS1 was mostly a JRPG machine. Any recommendation list is invariably 50% JRPGs. Great, if you like that I suppose, especially considering the N64 has basically nothing in that department. Then I look at some other recommendations, and they're pretty dubious at best. Maybe "decent", but I would never tell anyone they have to play them.

At the end of the day, I own about the same number of titles for my N64 and PS1, but overall I feel the N64 games are much higher quality.

Unless you truly love JRPGs, then the PS1 is far and away the better system.
>>
>>3729170
>I also can't think of any port to the N64 that was good
Rayman 2
>>
>Another "the N64 is shiiiiiit" thread

Neato.
>>
>>3730785
Except it's not about the N64 being shit, it's about it having a small library.
>>
>>3729162
Look, I don't know how old you are or what you had available at the time, but this was my primary console as a kid and it fucking sucked to have no new games coming out, you'd go to blockbuster and have to rent the same fucking handful of games while the ps1 was getting a metric fuckton of support. I remember going to a friends house who owned a ps1 and trying to marathon rpg's over the weekend because I loved the genre.

Fuck the 64, it is a good retro console because you can cherry pick the titles you want to play, but actually owning one was awful.
>>
>>3730165
Not a port, was the primary version of the game.
>>
>>3732201
>Actually liking RPGs
Opinion discarded.
>>
>no beat 'em ups
>no fighters
>no shmups
>no puzzleges
>no hack 'n slash RPGs
>no non-autistic platformers

Is it, dare I say, the worst retro system ever?
>>
>>3732218
Well, I mean I'd take one over an FM Towns or a Jaguar.
>>
>>3729170
>The most movie games, sports games, ports, etc
Are you saying the N64 didn't have any of these? Because I can guarantee you it fucking did.
>>
File: 1271012371023.jpg (38KB, 214x216px) Image search: [Google]
1271012371023.jpg
38KB, 214x216px
>>3732218
>, dare I say,
>>
>>3732241

Not nearly in the same numbers.
>>
>>3730154
>Any recommendation list is invariably 50% JRPGs.
Crash
Spyro
Tekken
Castlevania SotN
MGS
RE
Gran Turismo
Tomb Raider
Driver
PaRappa the Rapper
Dino Crisis
Namco Museum
Parasite Eve
Silent Hill
Twisted Metal
Devil Dice
Intelligent Qube
Street Fighter Alpha 3

GEE, 50% RPGS, JRPG MACHINE JUST LIKE LIKE SNES
>>
>>3729152
It might not have as many different games as the psx, but you can get pretty good mileage out of the games it does have
>>
>>3732262
Lol only a monster would recommend the street fighter alpha 3 port on the ps1, capcom fighting games are universally garbage on that system.
>>
>>3729156
Lol. Gamecube was Nintendo's 2nd best console.
>>
>>3732270
It's like a better N64 but when I used to own one I thought it was shit
Didn't own that many games tho
>>
>>3732270
Had a better third-party support, sure, but its exclusives are pretty shit compared to the N64's.
>>
>>3732302
Melee > Smash 64
Prime > (nothing)
Sunshine > 64
Jungle Beat > DK64
Wind Waker > Ocarina of Time
Double Dash > Mario Kart 64
Star Fox Adventures > Star Fox 64

I think I've made my point.
>>
>>3729152
Had a better library than the Saturn, unless you insist that doesn't count. Ditto for 3DO and Jaguar, and that's just the same generation. Atari 7800 and Sega Master System were pretty barren thanks to Nintendo's monopoly in the third generation, and TurboGrafx-16/PC Engine was pretty niche compared to its competitors.
>>
File: itsabait.png (18KB, 927x885px) Image search: [Google]
itsabait.png
18KB, 927x885px
>>3732307
>Sunshine > 64
>Wind Waker > Ocarina of Time
>Double Dash > Mario Kart 64
>Star Fox Adventures > Star Fox 64
Weak b8.

Also Jet Force Gemini > Metroid Prime.
>>
>>3732307
>Sunshine > 64
>Jungle Beat > DK64
Is this what GCbabbies actually believe?
>>
>>3732262
To be fair, SOTN and Parasite Eve are 50% RPG.
Anyway, the "N64 only has 3D platformers/no RPGs" is also bullshit.
N64 had a ton of racing and wrestling games, in fact I'll go as far as to say N64 has better racing games than PS1. PS1 is still excellent on racers, but N64 surpasses it. I'm sure GT fanboys won't agree, though.
Also
>Namco Museum
Are you serious?
>>
>>3732320
GranTurismo isn't even a racer, just a shitty car showoff simulator.
>>
>>3732325
That's how I feel as well, but even as a license showoff simulator, it could be fun, but I never had fun playing it. It feels like grinding instead, and unlock more cars, etc.
I honestly had more fun with the beettle adventure game, it was a license showoff, of only 1 model, but the game was actually fun as fuck, some of the best tracks I've played on racing games.
>>
>>3729152
Not really. It's simply ridiculously overrated in US.

N64 got a very limited game and genre range because of the lack of 3rd party support, and most of its best games were either from Nintendo or Rare. By comparison, PS had it all: action, RPG, racing, adventure, fighting, sims, etc., etc.—and much more of it, both 2D and 3D, from plenty developers around the world. N64 still has some good games in its library, but a lot of them aged very badly.

N64 was really not much better than GameCube, but people can't accept it because muh nostalgia and muh console wars. The only real reason it was better was Rare, the rest was American hype.
>>
>>3732320
> "N64 only has 3D platformers/no RPGs" is also bullshit.
"No RPGs" part is true, you can count the RPGs on the system on the fingers of one hand.

Otherwise, reducing N64 to 3D platformers is indeed incorrect. But I sure wish that it got more games in other genres instead. And its best games have been completely surpassed either by Nintendo's own efforts (like with Mario Kart) or by other companies (sorry, but you won't surprise anyone with a dual-analog console FPS in 2017).
>>
N64 had fewer good games than the PSX but much more amazing games.

The PSX had like 10000 games, 9000 of them were shit.

But any console with Nintendo (overrated as they are), HAL and Rare in their prime can HARDLY be considered a bad platform.

So many video game hardware producers would've killed for that kind of support.
>>
>>3732334
>overrated in the US

Look you come to every thread pertaining Nintendo and you write that bullshit.

Nintendo was popular in the largest video game markets in the world at the time: US, Japan and Canada (of which is the only country in the world of which the N64 outsold the PS1, if anything it's overrated in beaverland).

Who cares if the N64 wasn't successful in HueHueHue-land?! The PS1 was probably only more popular because it was easier and cheaper to pirate on.

Fuck off.
>>
>>3732354
You can count more RPGs if you have into account japanese releases, though.
Still not a RPG-heavy console, but it does have its own exclusive titles that are worth playing, and a few other oddities that fans of the genre might enjoy.
As for the system's best being surpassed, I think we can say this about every game ever because technology keeps evolving, I still think some N64 games are still better than the sequels, case Wave Race 64.
>>
>>3732361
It can be considered a bad platform with a small number of good games.
>>
>>3732370
>Nintendo was popular in the largest video game markets in the world at the time: Japan
Lifetime console sales in Japan:
PS—19.36 mln
Saturn—5.8 mln
N64—5.54 mln
Do I need to add anything? Compare that to 17.17 mln of Super Famicom in Japan, too. N64 was a commercial disappointment in that region.

> Who cares if the N64 wasn't successful in HueHueHue-land?!
You pretend Europe doesn't exist? PS sold near 40 mln there, vs ~6 mln of N64. So much for your "largest" markets.

> The PS1 was probably only more popular because it was easier and cheaper to pirate on.
Software tie ratio per console:
PS—5.2 (games per console)
N64—4.6

For further proof, look up game sales for these consoles. They speak for themselves.
>>
File: 2093_1273102265554.jpg (29KB, 396x400px) Image search: [Google]
2093_1273102265554.jpg
29KB, 396x400px
>>3732307
>Star Fox Adventures > Star Fox 64
>Jungle Beat > DK64
>>
File: fritz-the-cat-duke-o.jpg (10KB, 128x129px) Image search: [Google]
fritz-the-cat-duke-o.jpg
10KB, 128x129px
>>3732370
To be fair, the assumption that N64 is overrated in America (and Canada because they're America ripoffs) is not entirely unfounded. Nintendo specifically courted American developers to make games for the 64 (the so called "N64 Dream Team") which is why that console had particularly high quality games from companies like Midway, Rare and Acclaim and why all the biggest games on that system were western despite being a Japanese console.

The Japanese don't give a shit about games like Turok, NFL Blitz or Jet Force Gemini so they didn't really buy up the system (which in my honest opinion is good anyways, fuck the japanese market) and Nintendo's support of Europe was still ridiculously awful just like it always has been so Sony was able to sweep these markets easily, it's not because there was a lack of games on the N64. I am aware there are only about 300 games on the N64 but let's face it you only ever got about 20 games as a kid anyways throughout a console's lifecycle so it wasn't something you noticed, the lack of games that is.

TL;DR N64 is 'overrated' in America because it was the go to system of choice for American developers and American developers tend to make games Americans like
>>
>>3732371
>You can count more RPGs if you have into account japanese releases, though.
You see, on PS, I don't even have to account for this. I want an RPG? It's a no-brainer, I have dozens if not hundreds of options, all translated.

But if I want an RPG on N64? That's way more complicated. What do I pick, Paper Mario, a baby RPG? Or Hybrid Heaven? Or maybe Quest 64? Now one more question, do you seriously think these compare to the best of what PS has?…

>As for the system's best being surpassed, I think we can say this about every game ever because technology keeps evolving
Why come to /vr/ then? They were surpassed in gameplay, not graphics.
>>
>>3732392
>I am aware there are only about 300 games on the N64 but let's face it you only ever got about 20 games as a kid anyways throughout a console's lifecycle so it wasn't something you noticed, the lack of games that is.
You noticed the lack of variety, though. The N64 had almost no rpg's, few racing games, only a handful of fps's, no light gun shooters, few old school 2d platformers...I feel like I could just keep saying "few [insert genre]" and it would be mostly true, and that was definitely something you noticed as a kid.
>>
>>3732404
>Paper Mario
>baby RPG

Your opinion is invalid, it had a different aesthetic than most fifth generation grimdark RPGs but was one of the best RPGs of the generation.
>>
>>3732392
>I am aware there are only about 300 games on the N64 but let's face it you only ever got about 20 games as a kid anyways
The thing is that there are other kids with other games, you know? Even if you only own 20, there would be other kids with like 10 different games from you... but not with the N64, EVERYONE had the same games. There wasn't much swapping games or discovering new ones at a friend's house.
>>
>>3732392

>I am aware there are only about 300 games on the N64 but let's face it you only ever got about 20 games as a kid anyways throughout a console's lifecycle so it wasn't something you noticed, the lack of games that is.

This is true for me at least, N64 games went for like £50 new at the time so I got games so rarely it barely felt limited at all and it just seemed like a regular lifecycle. Didn't hit me until I looked through a list of roms, really. Sony had total market dominance basically the whole time though, nobody was playing the N64 kidding themselves that they were on the winning side or some shit.
>>
>>3732404
>You see, on PS, I don't even have to account for this

Alright, PSboy, I'm not talking about the PS, I was talking about the N64.
Having imports into account is an important part of enjoying /vr/. Happens with PS1 and Saturn, too.

>a baby RPG?
You're seriously dismissing Paper Mario as "baby"? Call it "baby RPG" all you want, it's one of my favorite 5th gen RPGs.
Anyway, again, yes I agree N64 doesn't have many RPGs, but it definitely has more than you think.
>>
>>3732407
>The N64 had almost no rpg's,
I wasn't a nerd who played RPGs.

>few racing games
Completely false, racing games were one of the 64's raison d'etres

>only a handful of fps's
Again, false. The N64 had way more FPS games than either Playstation or Saturn and was famous for it.

>no light gun shooters
Entirely correct, but I'll counter this by saying that lightgun games are a tiny niche, and outside of Time Crisis on Playstation and Virtua Cop/House of the Dead on Saturn it wasn't that much of a loss.
>>
>>3732415
>Even if you only own 20, there would be other kids with like 10 different games from you... but not with the N64, EVERYONE had the same games. There wasn't much swapping games or discovering new ones at a friend's house.
I'll counter this by saying that while you didn't find many kids with new games, you DID find a much richer multiplayer experience on N64 than you did with either Saturn or Playstation, what with having many more games focused on 4 player multiplayer than on other systems. Games like Mario Party, Goldeneye, Mario Kart, Super Smash Bros and so on.
>>
>>3732417
>Having imports into account is an important part of enjoying /vr/. Happens with PS1 and Saturn, too.
Or more like, having TO import to simply to get more games? I always see how N64 people desperately search for more games, digging up every single title from Mischief Makers to Goemon. Because maybe, just maybe, its library was lacking, after all.

> You're seriously dismissing Paper Mario as "baby"?
Yes, I am seriously dismissing it as such. Because it is a baby RPG. A good game, but still. And I want a real RPG with complex game system, classes, tactics and plot. After I play Ogre Battle 64, I'm left with almost nothing.
>>
File: 2d4.png (12KB, 560x407px) Image search: [Google]
2d4.png
12KB, 560x407px
>>3729152
For me personally, I'd say the Dreamcast library is worse than the N64.

The N64 has like, 30 or 40 games I enjoy, whereas the Dreamcast has... Seaman, I guess?

Seriously, I've perused through the Dreamcast collection, and sure, it has something like 300 more games than the 64, but I sincerely don't give a shit about ANY of them.

But of course, that's just me.
>>
>>3732392
>>3732361
> The PSX had like 10000 games, 9000 of them were shit.
Oh, N64 fans, never change.
>>
File: 1274864067405.jpg (23KB, 376x363px) Image search: [Google]
1274864067405.jpg
23KB, 376x363px
>>3732445
>Or more like, having TO import to simply to get more games?

Uh... yes? That's the whole point of imports. You also get ps1 and saturn imports to get more games. What about it?

>digging up every single title from Mischief Makers to Goemon

MM and Goemon aren't even imports.

>A good game, but still

Do you even read yourself?
>>
>>3732445
>And I want a real RPG with complex game system, classes, tactics and plot.
>JRPGS
>plot

>if you understand honest motivations and psychology, you would create characters that aren't cliches torn from previous Disney cartoons, Saturday Morning Cartoons or sitcoms.

>You would make stories that come out of the characters' dynamics and chemistry with each other. You wouldn't just take a stock animated feature story, plug stock leads, villains and wacky sidekicks in and then beg everyone to take you seriously, like you are a real FILMMAKER, rather than a mere lowly cartoonist.
>>
What could've saved the N64 from being doomed to mediocrity?
>>
>>3732536
A LaserDisc player

Just kidding, ther N64 wasn't mediocre, stop living under a rock anon.
>>
>>3732536
Not using carts would have buried Sega alive and killed the Playstation before it got a chance to proliferate. The cart problem wasn't just a space problem, it was that publishers had to buy them from Nintendo in bulk numbers with absolutely no guarentee of sales.
>>
>>3732539
List 12 good games wherein each game belongs to a unique genre.
>>
>>3732545
First you list 12 genres.
>>
>>3732550
Action Platformer
Collectathon Platformer
Turn-based RPG
Action RPG
Strategy
Puzzle
Simulation
Fighter
Racing
FPS
Shmup
Adventure
>>
>>3732550
Did you expect him to be unable to list 12 genres? Did you not think there were at least 12 video game genres?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_game_genres
>>
>>3732545
I could, but you will call them shit anyway. Look anon, it's okay if you don't like thing, but most other people do like thing. Life is something to be dealt with.

Besides, some of my favorite N64 games don't have a defined genre.
What genre would games like Blast Corps or Wonder Project J2 supposed to fall into?
>>
>>3732334
>N64 still has some good games in its library, but a lot of them aged very badly.
The same could be said about that entire generation, especially the PSX.
>>
>>3732575
The point is, the N64 library is incredibly undiverse and shallow. And this isn't an opinion, but rather an undisputable fact.
>>
>>3732568
>Action Platformer
Bomberman 64
>Collectathon Platformer
Banjo
>Turn-based RPG
Paper Mario
>Action RPG
Hybrid Heaven, or Gauntlet Legends, depending on what you understand as "action RPG".
>Strategy
Starcraft 64, or if you meant SRPG, Ogre Battle 64.
>Puzzle
Bust-a-Move 2 Arcade Edition
>Simulation
Pilotwings 64
>Fighter
KI Gold
>Racing
Off road challenge
>FPS
Doom 64
>Shmup
Bangai-O
>Adventure
If you mean adventure as in Zelda, then Zelda. If you mean adventure as in point-and-click style, then Yakouchuu II (moon only)
>>
>>3729152
I wouldn't say the worst library of any major console, but definitely the less balanced one.

>>3732267
Alpha 3 on the PS1 is pretty good, anyway, you can try Real Bout: Dominated Mind, Asuka 120% Excellent, Asuka 120% Final, Asuka 120% Special, Gundam: Battle Assault, Gundam: Battle Assault 2, Kakuge-Yaro, Slap Happy Rhythm Busters, Touki Denshou: Angel Eyes, Guilty Gear, Advanced V.G. 2, X-Men: Mutant Academy, X-Men: Mutant Academy 2 and Inuyasha: A Feudal Fairy Tale for decent non-Capcom 2D / 2.5D fighting games.

Even mediocre SNK ports of great games like Samurai Shodown 4 and KOF'99 are better than anything the N64 has.
>>
>>3732318
yeah, I feel a little bad for kids who grew up with just a gamecube. It was a terrible console, the classic Xbox is far better and the PS2? Jesus if you didn't have a PS2 at the time that's just terrible.
>>
>>3732571
Considering he listed action platformer and collectathon platformer, then adventure as if this is a genre in itself yes I do think he is unable to list 12 genres

>>3732568
>Action Platformer
Hybrid Heaven

>Collectathon Platformer
Banjo Kazooie

>Turn-based RPG
Ogre Battle 64

>Action RPG
Quest 64

>Strategy
Starcraft 64

>Puzzle
Puyo Puyo Sun

>Simulation
Densha de Go 64

>Fighter
Fighter's Destiny

>Racing
World Driver Championship

>FPS
Perfect Dark

>Shmup
Star Soldier Vanishing Earth

>Adventure
I'm assuming you mean point and click because you're a fucking mongloid but Wonder Project J2, and if you don't then Conker's Bad Fur Day

>>3732583
>The point is, the N64 library is incredibly undiverse and shallow. And this isn't an opinion, but rather an undisputable fact.
Declaring it to be undisputable fact does not make it an undisputable fact you dumbass. You need to back your statement up with numbers and hard evidence.
>>
>>3732594
I just played Bomberman 64 and it was pretty bad so reaching hard there.
Won't say anything about the other games though.
>>
>>3732307
I know you're trolling, but I actually agree with most of those... except for the StarFox comparison. Nothing will ever top 64. As for Zelda, that's debatable. I think WW's aesthetics have aged better, but its padding and lack of dungeons drag it down somewhat.
>>
>>3732598
>Real Bout: Dominated Mind

Still has frames missing, breakable objects are missing from stages and probably the worst offender of all, it took away the bi-plane mechanic completely, it's not a real Fatal Fury game and the extra characters don't make up for such loss.
Games like Asuka 120% are also better on Saturn anyway.
I'll give you the Gundam games.
>>
>>3732609
>then adventure as if this is a genre in itself
You don't know pure adventure games exist? (LucasArts, Sierra, etc.)
>>
>>3732609
You sound pretty upset, anon. Also your taste in vidya is quite awful.
>>
>>3732646
Those are called point and click adventure games
>>
>>3732652
He listed Densha de go so I'd say he has fine taste.
>>
>>3732654
What else would "adventure" by itself refer to?
>>
>>3732609
Heh, that's all you got, kid? Step up to a REAL console, the PSX.

>Action Platformer
Klonoa.

>Collectathon
Tomba.

>Turn-based RPG
Suikoden 2.

>Action-RPG
Brave Fencer Musashi.

>Strategy
Colony Wars.

>Puzzle
Mr. Driller G.

>Simulation
Armored Core.

>Fighter
Guilty Gear.

>Racing
Ridge Racer 4.

>FPS
Medal of Honor.

>Shmup
R-Type Delta.

>Adventure
Discworld 2.

Shit, N64fags, are you even trying?
>>
>>3732678
>All this gay weeaboo garbage then Armored Core and Medal of Honor
>>
>>3732692
>gay weeaboo garbage
Not an argument, reddit.
>>
>>3732678
You're just shitposting, Guilty Gear is a horrible arcade conversion.

I think in the only genre PS1 wins is shmup because N64 barely has any, at least I'm sure it doesn't have any hori, which is a shame since N64 is quite capable of 2D.

But the rest of your picks are very subjective. And still Saturn does shmups better than PS1.
>>
>>3732693
>actually expecting an argument
No, it is you who is the reddit.
>>
>>3732579
The following is my personal opinion, but I think a lot of PS games aged much better by holding back on "muh true 3D gaming" and instead focusing on gameplay and player's experience (such as plot, atmosphere, art style, etc).

Silent Hill's controls are considered archaic by most today, but it had the atmosphere and gameplay which few if any N64 games could parallel. The same can be said about MGS, Resident Evil, or Castlevania: SotN. They had so much more in gameplay and plot department to make you forget that they used control schemes which differed little from 3rd gen.

The common notion I hear Americans repeat over and over is that N64 "set the blueprint for 3D games for years to come", and that its games were "revolutionary" when they came out. That's respectable, but personally, I feel that everywhere else they lacked severely. I just can't have any fun with those "revolutionary" N64 games today, yet I can with NES, SNES, PS, PS2, GBA games, etc.

Ironically, I like the less "progressive" N64 games more. Kirby Crystal Shards is one of my favorites, for example. That said, I like Perfect Dark a lot—but for its excellent Blade Runner-esque style, challenging missions and such.
>>
>>3732678
The only worthwhile game you listed is R-Type Delta, and even that was a step down from its predecessor on the Super.
>>
>>3732697
>and instead focusing on gameplay and player's experience (such as plot, atmosphere, art style, etc).

What do you mean?

>to make you forget that they used control schemes which differed little from 3rd gen.

I keep getting confused.

Are you praising plot over gameplay?

Anyway, N64 has Resident Evil 2, if that counts.

I feel like some people here just try to grasp at straws to hate the N64, like they need to use it as a scapegoat of sorts.

Yeah, we all know the N64 has a smaller library. Yeah we all know the PS dominated the market and got more games. But after that, taste is very subjective, there's nothing wrong with liking the N64 and what it has to offer, same as the Saturn.

PlayStation fanboys can be very annoying sometimes, I notice most of people here bashing the N64 are guys who are mentioning only PS1 games. Didn't you also had a PC or a Saturn?
Where are my idorts?
>>
File: playstation.gif (183KB, 327x500px) Image search: [Google]
playstation.gif
183KB, 327x500px
>Thread about the N64
>PlebStationfags come out of their holes to masturbate their CGI machine
every fucking time
>>
>>3732694
>Guilty Gear is a horrible arcade conversion
>Guilty Gear 1 is a PS1 exclusive without an arcade counterpart

What did he mean by this?
>>
>>3732731
Sometimes I forget GG on ps1 came out before the superior, definitive GG X.
>>
>>3732731
He prolly thinks The Missing Link was a port of XX.
>>
>>3732737
>prolly
>>
File: n64.jpg (60KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
n64.jpg
60KB, 512x512px
>>3732723
Wasn't the N64 also a CGI machine fagalam?
>>
>>3732280
>but when I used to own one I thought it was shit
because you're a faggot
>>
>>3732745
No, one of the main complaints from people back in the day was that N64 didn't have dem CGI cutscenes that PS1 boasted about.

PS1 wasn't as good on 3D as the N64, and wasn't either as good as Saturn, but it did have one advantage, courtesy of Sony: a decent video codec, much better than the Saturn (although the Saturn had a sort of expansion thing for FMVs that made them higher quality)
>>
>>3732657
Everyone knows the best sim game on N64 is Pilotwings, dummy.
>>
>>3732678
Colony Wars is a first person 3D space dogfighter, not a strategy.

It's a good game all the same.
>>
File: N64.png (84KB, 334x500px) Image search: [Google]
N64.png
84KB, 334x500px
>>3732723
>PS1 is mentioned
>Nintendildos come out of their holes to masturbate their astigmatism-simulator machine
>>
File: 2267_1277782222498.jpg (13KB, 224x216px) Image search: [Google]
2267_1277782222498.jpg
13KB, 224x216px
>Console wars faggotry for 20+ year old consoles is alive and well

Jesus fucking christ, kill yourselves, each and everyone of you, you're fucking PATHETIC.
>>
>>3732890
You can say that about everything on this retro board
>X faggotry for 20+ year old consoles/games is alive and well
>>
File: 1367094443985.jpg (67KB, 400x302px) Image search: [Google]
1367094443985.jpg
67KB, 400x302px
>>3732890
Enjoy your stay
>>
File: 1475229742341.jpg (45KB, 384x288px) Image search: [Google]
1475229742341.jpg
45KB, 384x288px
>not having both growing up
>mfw
>>
>>3732907
>wasting money on a Nogames 64
L-O-L
>>
>>3732918
>being poor
>>
File: penguinposting.gif (63KB, 1000x1192px) Image search: [Google]
penguinposting.gif
63KB, 1000x1192px
>>3732925
>not knowing the key to being rich: never spending your money
>>
>>3732918
>Being a weebstation shitter

EL OH EL
>>
>>3732927
Keynes just rolled in his grave
>>
>>3732315
>Had a better library than the Saturn
No way, unless you aren't counting imports.
>>
saturn usa has a smaller library than n64 usa.

the worst library for a major console is the wiiu, but its not retro.
>>
>>3729152
(You)
>>
also, there are easily 40+ n64 games worth playing.
>>
>>3732985
>40
That's fairly optimistic of you. Or do you just mean "worth playing" as in "not terrible"? Cause that's not a very high standard.
>>
>>3732990
Yeah, if we go by that standard, there are easily about couple hundred PS1 games that are "worth playing".
>>
>>3732990
I mean decent, somewhere between "not terrible" and "classic".
>>
it's a little silly this "nogames" argument when people just played mario or donkey kong country on snes anyways
>>
>>3733004
to clarify further, I'm not excluding classic. I'm arguing that there are 40+ n64 games that range from decent to classic.

I could autistically list them if there's popular demand.
>>
>>3733005
"Nogames" is really only a valid argument for systems that were legitimate flops, like the Jaguar and CD-i.
>>
>>3733042
Nogames means stuff you don't care to play, e.g. kiddy platformers, slowdown-fucked FPS, generic racing and wrestling games, etc.
>>
>>3732315
>Atari 7800 and Sega Master System were pretty barren thanks to Nintendo's monopoly in the third generation

What SHOULD have saved the 7800 SHOULD have been the huge library of Atari computer titles that SHOULD have been ported to the 7800.

Plus the 7800 could play the 1000+ 2600 games out of the box.
>>
>>3733032
fuck it, I'm gonna do it anyway for the lolz

autism mode: activate.

007: The World Is Not Enough
1080° Snowboarding
Animal Crossing
Banjo-Kazooie
Banjo-Tooie
Bomberman 64
Castlevania
Conker's Bad Fur Day
Diddy Kong Racing
Doom 64
Duke Nukem 64
Extreme-G
F-Zero X
Gex 64: Enter the Gecko
Glover
Goemon's Great Adventure
GoldenEye 007
Harvest Moon 64
Hexen
Hey You, Pikachu!
Jet Force Gemini
Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Mario Golf
Mario Kart 64
Mario Party
Mario Party 2
Mario Party 3
Mario Tennis
Mega Man 64
Mischief Makers
Mission: Impossible
Mortal Kombat 4
Mortal Kombat Trilogy
Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon
Paper Mario
Perfect Dark
Pilotwings 64
Pokémon Puzzle League
Pokémon Snap
Pokémon Stadium
Rainbow Six
Resident Evil 2
Snowboard Kids
Snowboard Kids 2
Star Fox 64
Star Wars: Rogue Squadron
Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire
Super Mario 64
Super Smash Bros.
Tetrisphere
Turok: Dinosaur Hunter
Turok 2: Seeds of Evil
Turok 3: Shadow of Oblivion
Turok: Rage Wars
WWF No Mercy
Yoshi's Story

there you are, 58 games. so there are 40-60 games for the n64 depending on taste, and that's leaving out lots of sports games.
>>
>>3733084
>Gauntlet Legends nowhere to be found
>No NBA Hangtime
>No Wave Race 64
>No Blast Corps
>No Bomberman Hero
>No Ogre Battle 64
>No Sin and Punishment
>>
>>3733084
>Mario Party
>Mario Party 2
>Mario Party 3
>Turok: Dinosaur Hunter
>Turok 2: Seeds of Evil
>Turok 3: Shadow of Oblivion
Whew
>>
>>3733116
I was intentionally going for minimalism, and even then I went way over my conservative limit of 40.

>>3733118
you could take out sequels and still have plenty. I didn't want to exclude good games just because they're part of a series.
>>
>>3733118
Are you implying the first few Mario Party games and the Turok games are bad?

Fuck off.
>>
>>3733129
Hence including the super quality titles of Hey You, Pikachu!, Shadows of the Empire, and Pokémon Snap?
>>
>>3733130
No I'm implying that the list was padded (not in a serious or hostile way of course just noting)
>>
>>3733143
those pokemon games might not fit your taste, but they were popular and well regarded. I personally played shadows of the empire and it was pretty good.
>>
>>3733151
They were popular in the sense that they were pokemon but I don't believe either was particularly well regarded, especially Hey You Pikachu but also Snap (in fact I think Snap has lost the majority of its appeal now that 3d pokemon isn't fresh, I don't see much reason to play it at all).
When was the last time you played Shadows? I'm not gonna say you have nostalgia goggles on but it definitely is not something I would describe as pretty good. Very clunky gameplay, not an elegant transition to 3D at all (beyond the first level).
>>
>>3733145
I might condense them into 1 entry for a series when I release my revised list.
>>
>>3733157
I still think they qualify as decent.

I haven't played Shadows in many years, but I remember it being fun. it's at least decent.
>>
File: atari-jaguar.jpg (240KB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
atari-jaguar.jpg
240KB, 600x338px
>Does the N64 have the worst library of any major console?

Nope.

I mean, don't you guys remember all the awesome-looking Jaguar games that were on the video store rental shelves?
>>
>>3733162
Take a look at this and have a refresher
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-r3bDtCE2lc
>>
>>3733167
>N64fags are so insecure about their shit tier system they have to bully meme consoles like the Jag
>>
>>3733169
ok, so the racing part was bad, I remember that now. and there were other issues. but I'd still say the good outweighs the bad.

>>3733171
the n64 had a relatively small library, but nogames is a meme.
>>
>>3733084
Add Bangaioh, Sin and Punishment to get an even 60.

Also Space Station Silicon Valley, Rocket: Robot on Wheels, Blast Corps, Pokemon Stadium 2, Body Harvest, Wipeout 64, Castlevania Legacy of Darkness, Shadowman.. I could go on but the quality to quantity ratio of the N64's library is really solid. There are a lot of good games on the system.

My big gripe with the N64 library is that it lacks representation in a lot of classic genres like Shmups, Fighters and RPGs. However even with that flaw it's still probably my favorite retro system.
>>
>>3733056
So all I'm getting from this is "it has games but they're not games that I personally want to play".

That's fucking dumb.
>>
revised list with exactly 64 games.

1080° Snowboarding
Animal Crossing
Banjo-Kazooie
Banjo-Tooie
Blast Corps
Body Harvest
Bomberman 64
Castlevania
Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness
Conker's Bad Fur Day
Diddy Kong Racing
Doom 64
Duke Nukem 64
Extreme-G
F-Zero X
Glover
Goemon's Great Adventure
GoldenEye 007
Gauntlet Legends
Harvest Moon 64
Hexen
Jet Force Gemini
Mario Golf
Mario Kart 64
Mario Party
Mario Party 2
Mario Party 3
Mario Tennis
Mega Man 64
Mischief Makers
Mortal Kombat 4
Mortal Kombat Trilogy
Paper Mario
Perfect Dark
Pilotwings 64
Pokémon Puzzle League
Pokémon Stadium
Pokémon Stadium 2
Rainbow Six
Resident Evil 2
Rocket: Robot on Wheels
Sin and Punishment
Snowboard Kids
Snowboard Kids 2
Space Station Silicon Valley
Star Fox 64
Super Mario 64
Super Smash Bros.
Tetrisphere
Turok 3: Shadow of Oblivion
Wipeout 64
WWF No Mercy
Yoshi's Story
>>
>>3733219
Remove both Castlevanias, Douk, Gex, Glover, Mission Impossible, MK4, Pokemon Stadiums, Turok 3, and Yoshi since they are shit.
>>
>>3733219
Well Bravo anon, I didn't mean to make you take off games you liked but bravo for making such a comprehensive list.
>>
File: whats-wrong-with-you.gif (726KB, 446x251px) Image search: [Google]
whats-wrong-with-you.gif
726KB, 446x251px
>>3733219
>no beetle adventure racing
>>
>>3733236
thanks. you didn't make me do anything, I was adding and subtracting to get exactly 64. and rogue squadron is still on there so Star Wars is covered.

I might revise it again, but either way, feel free to copypasta that list whenever someone memes about nogames.
>>
>>3733219
>no pokemon snap
>>
Ok, final revision for tonight.

64 GAMES FOR THE N64:

1080° Snowboarding
Animal Crossing
Banjo-Kazooie
Banjo-Tooie
Beetle Adventure Racing!
Blast Corps
Body Harvest
Bomberman 64
Castlevania
Conker's Bad Fur Day
Diddy Kong Racing
Doom 64
Duke Nukem 64
Extreme-G
F-Zero X
Glover
Goemon's Great Adventure
GoldenEye 007
Harvest Moon 64
Hexen
Jet Force Gemini
Mario Golf
Mario Kart 64
Mario Party
Mario Party 2
Mario Party 3
Mario Tennis
Mega Man 64
Mischief Makers
Mortal Kombat 4
Mortal Kombat Trilogy
Paper Mario
Perfect Dark
Pilotwings 64
Pokémon Puzzle League
Pokémon Snap
Pokémon Stadium
Rainbow Six
Resident Evil 2
Rocket: Robot on Wheels
Shadow Man
Sin and Punishment
Snowboard Kids
Space Station Silicon Valley
Star Fox 64
Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire
Super Mario 64
Super Smash Bros.
Tetrisphere
Turok 3: Shadows of Oblivion
Wipeout 64
WWF No Mercy
Yoshi's Story
>>
>>3733151
>I personally played shadows of the empire and it was pretty good.

This. I bought a N64 specifically for Shadows. I also loved all the pokemon games. If your argument is that the N64 didn't have a good library for adult gamers then you have a shit argument because the console was clearly not aimed at that demographic. That guys list doesn't even include the dozens of mediocre games that I rented from Blockbuster that I still got a ton of fun from like Vigilante8 and Chopper Attack.
>>
File: 1478668828965.jpg (22KB, 184x184px) Image search: [Google]
1478668828965.jpg
22KB, 184x184px
>>3733183
>Rocket Robot on Wheels
My fuckin nigga
>>
>>3733224
Douk on N64 wasn't shit. Also there was Zero Hour which I THINK was an exclusive, also a pretty good third person shooter.
>>
File: 1473724640164.jpg (68KB, 579x576px) Image search: [Google]
1473724640164.jpg
68KB, 579x576px
>>3733219
>Still no Midway sports games on that list
I'm telling you senpai they're actually insanely good and deserve to be mentioned as worthy titles on the N64. Also while we're at it you missed out San Francisco Rush 2 and 2049
>>
>>3733280
>Mega Man 64

There is a lot on this list I would not play even if I got payed to, but what the fuck, this has to be bait, this is the equivalent of Bubsy 3D on PS1 you autistic fuck.

There are people who unironically enjoy this game? For fucks sake.
>>
>>3733606

If you exclude all PC ports, there might be a couple worth playing a couple of hours.
>>
>>3733626
Most of that list doesn't include PC ports, what are you talking about?

>>3733624
Are you fucking around? Megaman 64 is a port of Legends you fuck
>>
>>3733631
>>3733631
>Megaman 64 is a port of Legends

Your point? It is a horrible game and an insult , a shitty casual platformer, they didn't know what to do with the game, they focused on the 3D part, you know how that usually ends.
>>
>>3733624
For some reason everyone on this board is fucking obsessed with Megaman Legends / 64. They are completely blind to the fact that it is a fucking horrible game, I really don't get it. I thought it was garbage when it came out, and I still do.
>>
>>3732267
Alpha 3 was prefect on the ps1.
>>
>>3733936

?
>>
>>3732216
>Actually playing videogames
Opinion discarded.
>>
>>3733606
san francisco rush 2, of course. that was a really good game, I was trying to remember the name. I might swap that in.
>>
>>3732694
>And still Saturn does shmups better than PS1.

PS1 has just as good shmup selection as Saturn, it's just that Saturn is better for verts and PS1 is better for horis.

N64 has like 3 shmups in total.

3DO only has chase-view shmups(space harrier style).

Jaguar has a couple crappy shmups but but Battlesphere Gold is an great first person 3D space dogfighter.

PC-FX has 1 great shmup in its library of hentai games and visual novels.

Pippin has no shmups (or any worthwhile games at all).
>>
>>3732789
Yeah you're right, my bad. Should swap it out with Front Mission 3 or Brigandine.
>>
>>3733659
>They are completely blind to the fact that it is a fucking horrible game
>to the fact
>fact
>>
>>3733606
I took out mission impossible and added in san fran rush 2049.

if I took out mario party 3 and turok 3, I could squeeze in a couple more. I've already taken out a couple sequels to make room (snowboard kids 2, castlevania legacy of darkness).

there are a bunch of sports games, but I'm not sure which are the worthy few.
>>
What is the best N64 emulator and why is it Mupen64plus?

Also when is mednafen getting an N64 core?
>>
>>3734081
>Jaguar has a couple crappy shmups but but Battlesphere Gold is an great first person 3D space dogfighter.
>Completely disregarding Raiden
>>
>>3734081
>it's just that Saturn is better for verts and PS1 is better for horis.

Source on this? I played Thunder Force V on both systems, and it was better on Saturn.
And Donpachi, a vert, was better on PS1 somehow.
But all in all, I think Saturn was better, Donpachi was just one of the very rare cases PS1 got the better version.
>>
>>3734506
TFV has more content on PS1 and runs better. What other horis does Saturn have? PS1 has:
Gradius Gaiden
G Darius
R-Type Delta
R-Types
Einhander
>>
>>3734550
Cotton Boomerang shits on all of those shmups.
>>
>>3734550
>runs better

I think it's the other way around, as usual devs added extra content on the PS1 version to make up for the worse performance.
>>
>>3734563
In this case you'd be wrong because the Saturn version runs slightly worse in areas where the PS1 version runs better.
>>
>>3734563
No. But the PS1 version is missing graphics and an extra background layer to make it actually run on it.

Also the only interesting extra content it has over Saturn is a boss rush mode.
>>
>>3734586
What areas?
>>
>>3734587
Honestly, it's a fugly game even with Saturn's extra parallax effects, so the PS1 having more content makes it the better choice imo.
>>
File: ritsu-cdi.jpg (55KB, 398x500px) Image search: [Google]
ritsu-cdi.jpg
55KB, 398x500px
>this one cancerstation faggot defending his joke of a console in a Nintendo 64 bait thread
niiiiiice
>>
>>3734419
The only shmup on the system I could recall was Trevor Mcfur.

But yes, Raiden is good.
Are there any other shmups on the Jaguar?

What is the state of Jaguar emulation?
Thread posts: 171
Thread images: 20

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.