[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What old school / retro pc games or emulators can I run on this

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

File: Dell optiplex GX270 specs.jpg (117KB, 1280x768px) Image search: [Google]
Dell optiplex GX270 specs.jpg
117KB, 1280x768px
What old school / retro pc games or emulators can I run on this pc? (I plaan on putting a 250gb hdd in it and this AGP card: VisionTek Radeon VT 3450 AGP 512MB)
>>
>>3725002
I'd recomend you getting nvidia card, they are more compatible with DOS stuff, geforce 6600 would be great to make this a late DOS/win98/xp machine

try getting a soundblaster live!, this will give you sound in later DOS titles and EAX sound extensions in windows games
>>
>>3725025
Can't get a soundcard, this pc only has 1 agp slot.
>>
>>3725002
A Pentium 4 with 3 gigs of memory should be able to emulate any retros unless you're autist about accuracy or use like 12 filters at once at HD resolution.

A discrete videocard would help with filters or 3D rendering of some games, but for vanilla 2Ds and sprites it's overkill.
>>
>>3725034
Get a more modern external soundcard and see if it's compatible with DOSBox or whatever. Not necessary for emulation though.
>>
>>3725034
Not sure if pretending to be dumb
>>
>>3725034
but thats for PCI
>>
>>3725002
> emulators
Configuration is irrelevant, the faster it is the better.
> Pentium 4
Your motherboard BIOS may not support Windows 9x. Also 512 MB limit, and all the blah-blah-blah that is obvious to more experienced person.
>>
>>3725092
its ICH5 / 478 mobo
you can set limit in System.ini to MaxPhysPage=30000

is obvious to more experienced person
>>
>>3725092
>Also 512 MB limit, and all the blah-blah-blah
I thought there were unofficial patches for all the limits set by M$? Finding device drivers for the more modern hardware in Win98/95 is the biggest challenge.
>>
>>3725002
psx and down

saturn needs a core2duo or better
>>
>>3725163

It wasn't an arbitrary limit, it was a bug caused by Windows 98 never being intended to run, or tested, on such crazy (at the time) configurations. It is simple and well-documented, use the search engine.

The poster above you already told that the chipset on that motherboard (865G, as can be found on bazillionth page of Dell user manual) has official drivers for Windows 9x, so most of functionality will work. Then you just make sure the expansion cards you plug in have drivers for your system (and they either do, or don't, so that's easy).
>>
>>3725051
No pci slot on the mb one 1 agp as stated earlier.
>>
Would a USB sound card work? Unfortunately this PC has no PCI slot only one agp slot.
>>
File: 130670a.jpg (123KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
130670a.jpg
123KB, 1000x667px
>>3725595
are you sure?
coz everywhere I check the 0U1324 motherboard from Dell GX270 has one PCI and one AGP
>>
>>3727576
You already have a sound card for windows. No, USB sound does not work in DOS and probably also not in win98
>>
>>3727589
Ya that's the mb except its missing the pci slot only has the green agp.
>>
>>3728907
>8907 ▶
>>>3727589
>Ya that's the mb except its missing the pci slot only has the green agp.
Crap maybe its under the crappy modem they put in it.
>>
>>3727597
>probably also not in win98

It certainly does not.
>>
>>3725163

Windows 98 Drivers are not hard to find. Either the the driver exists or it doesn't.
>>
>>3728964
I wouldn't be TOO sure, new PCI c-media cards still support win2000
>>
Question: Is there a way to run ZNES full screen without it resetting desktop resolution?

I made a fatal mistake of messing with the settings and have always had it automatically open in full screen, leaving desktop resolution alone. I can't seem to fix it.
>>
>>3725002
>P4
Enjoy your space heater
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.