[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Classic Sonic in polygons is pretty comfy looking. Why couldn't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 107
Thread images: 11

File: classic 3D sonic.png (2MB, 556x1300px) Image search: [Google]
classic 3D sonic.png
2MB, 556x1300px
Classic Sonic in polygons is pretty comfy looking.

Why couldn't we get a "real" game with these kinds of aesthethics?
>>
>>3724941

Because Sega is the master of bone headed decisions.
>>
>>3724941
Because Yuji Naka was a crybaby
>>
>>3724941

Maybe when indyshit starts to get sick of sprites, we'll start seeing "low poly" games flood the indy scene, and we'll get a Sonic game with those visuals.

I wouldn't count on it though.
>>
because rich men don't want the kids turning gay
>>
>>3724953
>>3724957
Both accurate.

>>3724958
There's some Quake-style gamings coming out recently, but it's never going to be the same.
>>
>>3724941

There have been 2 fan games that are quite good that use the Sega sonic aesthetic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0IsSeE_ckI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5paaz16Nw20
>>
File: sonic-the-fighters.jpg (46KB, 640x1067px) Image search: [Google]
sonic-the-fighters.jpg
46KB, 640x1067px
>>3724941
Sonic Fighters was the perfect looking sonic. Pointy polygons works for sonic.
>>
>>3724971
They're kind of annoying to control, but they're good for unfinished fan games.

>>3724985
Yes, honestly yes, it's one of the prettiest Sonic games and probably the prettiest 3D game.
>>
>>3724958
The reason sprite games are common is that it is easier to do, 3d is always going to be more time consuming.
>>
>>3724941
Because Sonic Xtreme was planned to hit Saturn but was scrapped. And for DC they chose edgier, more relatable for teens version of Sonic, who lives in human world. Because I guess Sega thought it was hip.
>>
File: sonic2.jpg (19KB, 220x336px) Image search: [Google]
sonic2.jpg
19KB, 220x336px
>>3724964
>impying

it's like you don't know many rich men
>>
>>3724958
already happened

http://store.steampowered.com/app/367450/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/323320/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/233470/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/298600/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/250580/
>>
>>3725182

In all fairness it was hip, if you look at where gaming was going in '98 it's easy to see why they moved away from the old Sonic aesthetic. Even Sonic X-Treme was a lot darker and edgier than the previous games during development, feel free to read up on the storyline and piss yourself laughing.
>>
File: Christian-Weston-Chandler.jpg (53KB, 300x400px) Image search: [Google]
Christian-Weston-Chandler.jpg
53KB, 300x400px
>>3724941
Because 90% or more of the current Sonic fanbase prefer the other Sonic and love its shitty games as long as there are Crush 40's songs, lots of talk and plenty of CG. They also vastly prefer the edgelord hedgehog rival who says "damn" all the time over Knuckles and Tails.

We've lost Sonic, anon.
>>
>>3726124
nobody likes crush 40. Jun Senoue ruined sonic music with his shitty generic offsprings covers. He was passable in small doses but not full soundtracks. Also the main thing that ruined modern sonic was the horrendous voice acting.

Sega's biggest mistake with sonic was when they stopped appealing to young black kids with MJ music, and went for the edgy white teenager audience of the early 2000s.
>>
>>3726124

Completely agree. The kids who grew up on Sonic Adventure want an edgelord Sonic with deep storylines about good and evil and shit. Sonic works best as a spiny Mickey Mouse cartoon character running around zany, brightly colored levels for no reason other than to beat up robots.
>>
>>3724941

I would pay a million moneys for a fully fledged Sonic game that plays like Sonic World in Sonic Jam. The graphics and gameplay style were perfectly suited for what platforming games looked and felt like at the time.
>>
>>3726181
>offspring
>>
Sonic Xtreme could have done very well. I was super excited for anything sonic related in 1995-96. I admit the story is fucking awful and shows how XTREMELY fucked up Sega's management was during 1995-96.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIddY8u3Sk4
>>
>>3726224

Seriously. SoA and SoJ were like enemies back then. How the heck does that happen? How can a company sabotage itself so bad?
>>
>>3726201
AND YOU CAN HARDLY SWALLOW

I unironically like the Crush 40 songs, not a big fan of Adventure/3D Sonic though
>>
>>3725190
This looks nothing like the old games. This is just another meme-style like the indie pixel crap.
>>
>>3724971
Utopia is excellent. It really does feel like a 3D representation of classic Sonic, and it's lots of fun to see how long you can go/how many loops and tricks you can do without slowing down.

GHP is cool too, and more ambitious, but not as good. In particular, the 3D "rolling" in halfpipes and slopes to build up speed is hard to control and requires a lot of precision.
>>
>>3724971
Sonyak the hochgead!
>>
File: 1473285757422.gif (1MB, 500x272px) Image search: [Google]
1473285757422.gif
1MB, 500x272px
>>3726181
>nobody likes crush 40
>>
>>3726124

Where the fuck have you been? We haven't had a Crush 40 song with and edgy story in years.

Ever since Sonic 4 it's been nothing but classic pandering.

And even most of the fans seem to have turned away from the adventure era, the only ones who still like adventure era stuff either like it ironically, or they like it because of the comic book keeping all those themes around.
>>
File: 1483377458934.gif (487KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1483377458934.gif
487KB, 500x281px
>>3726124
>>3726496
OP here. I unironically like the adventure-era games and Crush 40.

B-b-but I mean just because I like it doesn't mean I prefer it over the other styles. Tho I haven't played much of the new "light hearted" Sonic other than Generations.
>>
>>3724941
Sonic Lost World at times had a Sega Sonic aesthetic. If they made a whole game with that look it'd be nice, but Sega is too stupid to realize that. They've been slowly doing that since Sonic Colors though, minus Sonic Boom.
>>
>>3726693
I tried the demo of Lost World, it seemed cool, but I don't imagine SEGA doing it again after everyone shitted on it.
>>
>>3724941
Would the Sonic Jam engine have made for a fun full game?
>>
>>3726703

The engine itself feels fine, The graphics could use a little more polish, but it's 32-bit we're talking here so it's decent enough. Art direction is fine, seems like classic old Sonic in 3D.
Controls feel actually more manageable than Sonic Adventure. Sonic reaches full speed and he goes fairly fast, but not to the point of being uncontrollable, so you can steel easily while running.
Jumping can be a bit frustrating, like trying to jump on the moving platforms.
I liked the camera, I think I like the camera assigned to X button (the one that's more top down/brid's view), makes it easier to see what's ahead and judge distances. Also, you can rotate the camera 360 using the L and R buttons, which is pretty cool.
>>
>>3726562
I unironically love them myself, but I just wanted to point out that you'd be a moron to think that Sega is making games like it anymore, and the fans are so divided it's hard to even tell what's in style with them anymore.

>>3726693
>>3726702

I don't get the lost world hate aside from an uninspired story. The parkour system was the shit. My only problem with it was the bug that made Sonic lose speed if he was facing east or west.
>>
>>3726703
It's actually very nice. It's kind of slow for Sonic I guess, but it's kind of amazing how easy and fun to control it is considering it's just a small unfinished demo.

>>3726716
The thing about "Sonic's style" is that he has personality disorder issues. SEGA can't seem to stick with a style for more than 1 or 2 games now.

Also the Lost World hate probably comes mostly from people who haven't played it, the overall hate for the Wii U and mediocre reviewers who know nothing about Sonic. Thoo I can't deny the controls are a bit overwhelming when you first pick them up.
>>
>>3726716
>>3726702
I liked Sonic Lost World a lot too. I didn't mind the writing or the story, it was basically a silly cartoon story and it's fine. The parkour system worked well. The music and aesthetic were really nice. Just the right amount of difficulty, and it felt kind of old school in certain parts. In all honesty, I wish they would stick to the Lost World gameplay and refine it some more. Sega and Sonic Team never seem to learn when they try something new. They just toss it all out and start with the Adventure formula it seems. I'm hoping Project Sonic 2017 is good, but the reveal trailer already seemed a bit too edgy.
>>
>>3726723
Can't be worst than Boom I supposse.
>>
>>3726730
Sonic Boom for Wii U is shit. I bought it for $7 at Walmart's clearance bin, played it, it's fucking awful. It's very glitchy. The patches it received never fixed its glitches. Definitely the worst Sonic game made.
>>
File: Sonic-Utopia-Demo-9.jpg (646KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Sonic-Utopia-Demo-9.jpg
646KB, 1920x1080px
>>3724958
Well this fan game called sonic utopia is close enough.
>>
>>3726739
Even if it wasn't glitchy it wouldn't be a good game desu
>>
>>3724941
>Why couldn't we get a "real" game with these kinds of aesthethics?
I think Sega accidentally struck gold with Sonic and secretly wanted to stop making them somewhere after S3&K but the money had them by the balls. During the Saturn era SOJ was so focused on making sure they made a good first impression with 3D that they were throwing Sonic all over the place just to maintain footing. As a result we have 3D Blast, Sonic R, Fighters, and the cancelled Extreme. There was no major 3D Sonic game at the time because of all of this nonsense but that's okay

When people say Sonic should have ended a long time ago I can't help but always be on the fence, it's a fair assessment to make but it has holes too.
>>
>>3726937
Really impressive that the Sonic games have managed to maintain a certain level of quality (for the most part) despite the fact that SEGA has no fucking idea of what they wanna do with it
>>
>>3726902
That's true. The glitches just ruined what game there was. The 3DS Boom games are okay though.
>>
File: hedgehog.jpg (322KB, 1280x853px) Image search: [Google]
hedgehog.jpg
322KB, 1280x853px
>>3726939
>SEGA has no fucking idea of what they wanna do with it
Haha, right? I bet the only thing that they're sure of is that releasing a new Sonic game keeps the company's inevitable demise away for a few months. Easy money at this point.

I also have an intuition that good Sonic games made in the last 10 years were total flukes. The fact that they gave Christian Whitehead the key to the city and let him remaster the old games is proof that they're at a higher power's mercy. Go look at Iizuka-san's teeth right now and tell me that looking after the hedgehog all these years isn't destroying his health.
>>
>>3726945
They're still pretty generic, tho.

Sonic shouldn't be shoverware tier.

>>3726952
Maybe those crazy yakuzas over at Japan sold their souls to some oni.
>>
>>3726974
I agree, but I blame those games and decisions on Sega of America. They got lucky with the 3DS versions being somewhat okay. I heard the show was/is popular too so I guess that's good for them.
>>
>>3726976
I've heard the show is alright yeah. And I know they use that self-aware humor the social media pages have gotten into themselves in it.

I think the thing about the games is that they were literal shovelware, just tie-in titles to promote the show, rather than the other way around. Not "real" games if you will.
>>
>>3726269
>This is just another meme-style
If you are gonna use that phrase you may as well apply it to all common styles. The brown shooter meme-style, the space marine meme-style and so on and so forth.
Meme ain't a dirty word.
>>
>>3726974
a gracious old man's last chess move

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/03/17/business/isao-okawa-74-chief-of-sega-and-pioneer-investor-in-japan.html
>>
>>3726884
I still don't get why people are creaming themselves over this tech demo, it just looks like a whole lot of nothing to me.
>>
>>3727154
because it's classic Sonic, people wet their dicks whenever they see him, no matter how lazy or how or shortsighted the fan project's vision is

this fucking hack probably doesn't even have more levels to show, people will eventually get tired of him waxing his own ego, something will happen and he can't work on the project anymore etc.
>>
Just go play Sonic Robo Blast 2 and pretend it was the Sonic Saturn game, these tech demos really feel like they're treading old ground.
>>
>>3727184
SRB2 was the shit about a decade ago but it's not really what i'm looking for in a Saturn Sonic game.

Maybe a remake of the original trilogy, maybe if Sonic Jam had prettier graphics it would of been good enough.
>>
>>3726974
He's been shovelware since day one.
>>
>>3727159
>it's classic Sonic, people wet their dicks whenever they see him

Remember that shitty stream where they showed Classic Sonic in that mobile infinite runner game? People cheered for that shit just because it's Classic Sonic. I grew up on Classic Sonic but for now I'm sick of him.
>>
>>3727195
Classic Sonic isn't even really "Classic Sonic".

Even on Sonic 3 he already had a slightly more adult look.
>>
>>3727205
If by "adult" you mean derpy.
>>
>>3726441
Be honest with yourself, aside from meme value are they actually good?
>>
>>3727235
>meme meme meme meme meme

Crush 40 are a good hard rock band that have catchy, energetic songs. Take your irony and shove it.
>>
>>3727240
Okay, what's a good song they've done that wasn't featured in sonic adventure?
>>
>>3727243
Endless possibility, Sonic Boom, The main theme of Sonic Heroes.
>>
>>3727267
>More sonic music
>>
>>3727269
You said Sonic ADventure.

Crush 40 isn't a real band, it literally only exists to make Sonic music. The singer Axel whatshisface sings for a different band when he isn't making Sonic music.
>>
>>3727270
Johnny Gioeli has been in several other bands. Hardline is really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKJgxnEBWPk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs5Tbg4QBUw

Also the music they performed for Sega Nascar Arcade, under the name Sons of Angels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hx2GWJ3DOhM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WGr0V3of0E

>select all images with palm trees
>>
>>3726723
Nah the man reason Lost World got ignored was that while it was a good platform game, Mario 3D World had also come out at the same time and was much much better.
>>
>>3727159

Wow, so angry. You should watch your blood pressure there, son.

Seriously though, the content that was released was an enjoyable piece of work. It's a new concept for Sonic, having an open world platformer, and I thought it was a lot of fun.
>>
>>3727698
>Wow, so angry.
so I'm not allowed to be honest? i wasn't impressed, get over it
>>
>>3728159

>I did not appreciate the work put into that project. I feel that it was sub par and did not live up to my standards.

...Is how a normal civilised person would have expressed themselves.
>>
>Sonic Fighters, that great and best 3d cartoonish look and soundrack
>Sonic Jam, with that great first 3d world feel for a Sonic, best compilation pack
>Sonic R, those weird controllers but that great drift feel with the triggers(that people barely use it) and that soundtrack

Weird time. If Sonic the Fighters was on the saturn back then i would have played it a lot

>Why couldn't we get a "real" game with these kinds of aesthethics?
Because that era is gone. Now Sonic needs to be a teenager with attitude forever
>>
>>3728216
Not him, but you are seriously barking up the wrong tree if you expect people to politely critieque something on 4chan dot com.

He actually was civilized by 4chan standards.

You're just being a thin skinned faggot.
>>
>>3728216
If you watched the video of him trashtalking Sega and proceeding to pat himself on the back just for caring about old school physics you'll see why I responded the way I did

I've seen so many fangame demos over the years never get finished so when I say "whatever" it's not to be an asshole. Sorry if I came off the wrong way.
>>
>>3728216
>being a normal civilized person
Aint no nigger got time for that.
>>
File: Sonic human.png (272KB, 408x488px) Image search: [Google]
Sonic human.png
272KB, 408x488px
This is what Sonic would look like if he was human. Official drawing.

Sega just can't into Sonic.
>>
>>3729159

I completely understand. And if the dude that made it really is a pretentious faggot, I had no idea. I guess I'm kind of a dreamer and the little demo he made hit all my sweet spots in terms of what is want to see on a classic 3D Sonic game.
>>
>>3724971
>open world
dropped
>>
>>3729526
That wouldn't even be that bad without the retarded amount of gadgets and accessories.

>Antennae on the shoes

Fucking why?
>>
>>3727267
>Endless possibility

That's not a Crush 40 song
>>
>>3727192
As natural for a platforming game mascot.
>>
>>3729929
Transmission of data on speed, distance covered, location, etc
>>
>>3726124
>>3726181
Sonic Adventure and the tonal and aesthetic shift that it came with may suck but don't talk shit about Jun Senoue faggots.
>>
>>3726703
Yes
>>
>>3729159
Do you have a link to that video?
>>
>>3727338

>Nah the man reason Lost World got ignored was that while it was a good platform game, Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 had already come out years before

FTFY
>>
>>3730396
here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sQI7rY27Nw
>>
>>3732558
Unity is shit
>>
>>3728216
>>>3728159
>>I did not appreciate the work put into that project. I feel that it was sub par and did not live up to my standards.
>...Is how a normal civilised person would have expressed themselves.
Do you honestly expect people to express themselves like this online, let alone on fucking 4chan? Get a grip.
>>
>>3732558
this guy sure likes to suck his own dick
>>
>>3732626
Don't you, anon?
>>
>>3732558
Well, that was unpleasant. Utopia is still pretty cool, but I doubt this guy will develop more levels when that's valuable time that could be spent boasting about being better than Sonic Team.
>>
>>3726976
>>3726982

Having tuned in once or twice out of curiosity, it's honestly pretty good. I was hoping for more of an action show but instead it's more a comedy masquerading as one, kind of like the Powerpuff Girls.
>>
>>3727189
Have you seen Sonic Mania at all? It's probably the closest thing we're going to get to a Saturn Sonic.

Hell, I'm told that's the entire design philosophy behind the game, but perhaps that is only speculation.
>>
>>3735372
I have. It's mostly because of it that I've been thinking on how great a Saturn Sonic would of been (if done properly)
>>
>>3728718
>Now Sonic needs to be a teenager with attitude forever
Because he totally wasn't one before, and even IF he was, that DEFINITELY wouldn't be his core marketing gimmick or anything like that.
>>
>>3729526
Yuji Uekawa kind of screwed up on this one. All of his other Sonic-style human characters look fine, but this one is just strange. There's definitely something going on with the face that's not right, but I can't exactly put my finger on it. I think it might be a combination of the cheek, the lines above the eyes, and somehow the actual shape of the eyes. Also, what >>3729929 said.
>>
>>3736479
The Billy Hatcher characters were also designed in the Sonic style. If they ever put any humans into another Sonic game, they SHOULD just let Yuji Uekawa design them. I have absolutely no idea how Sonic Team never managed to come up with such a simple concept back when they actually still did that, especially considering that Eggman is a perfect example of how to correctly stylize a human character for a Sonic game, and when he was right in front of them as a reference the entire time.
>>
>>3736497
mind fucking blown. not that i ever played billy hatcher but this is neat regardless.
>>
>>3736479
>>3736497
Interesting.
>>
>>3726720
>Also the Lost World hate probably comes mostly from people who haven't played it
I disagree, I bought it (although 3ds version) and while an interesting concept, it just felt a bit "Meh" overall.

I think a free running/parcour style game would fit well for Sonic, but as others said, SEGA rarely seem to try and refine a gameplay mechanic, it's just one gimmick game after another.
>>3728718
Man, surprised by lack of Sonic Fighters, it probably wouldve been super easy to convert to Saturn too after VF2. Did they use the same game engine?
>>
>>3739048
I have the PC version of Lost World and while it's not amazing, it's MUCH better than the 3DS version. If you enjoyed anything about the 3DS version, I would definitely recommend the PC/Wii U version.
>>
>>3739048
>>3739052
The Wii U version has splitscreen multiplayer, if you happen to care, just FYI.
>>
>>3739048
Sonic The Fighters used Fighting Vipers engine.
>>
>>3727159
>>this fucking hack probably doesn't even have more levels to show
pffft. I'd like to see you build something similar before you can talk like that.
>>
>>3726181
>nobody likes crush 40.

Thank you.

3D Sonic soundtracks should have been EDM all the way. Not this cheese rock shit.
>>
>>3739763
>3D Sonic soundtracks should have been EDM all the way.
Hiroyuki Namba doing Sanic when?
>>
>>3739763
You're a minority, bucko. The vast majority of Sonic fans DO like Jun Senoue's rock tracks, mainly because they're fucking awesome most of the time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt8DgD4fXd4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9i4FGZuk5Lc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvEPuy2Vimg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHfRLg_JDsc
>>
>>3739898
Anyone else in Sega Sound Team >>>>>> Jun Senoue
Senoue is good but fucking lazy as hell sometimes. He recycles songs that were unused crap. See Sonic 4. Sega really needs to work with the older composers before the series went all edgy guitar wank.
Meanwhile Tatsuyuki Maeda composed this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WR3Eh_516JQ (arranged by Masayuki Nagao)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IM4zb6ptf2U
Also Naofumi Hataya & Masato Nakamura
>>
>>3740034
Naofumi Hataya
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42dFlycnRwY
>>
>>3740034
I'm specifically referring to pre-Sonic 4 Jun Senoue. He was good before that, but then he just got lazy for some reason.
Thread posts: 107
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.