[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did console games usually have harsher censorship than

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: Steam-Hearts_PC98_02.jpg (52KB, 300x405px) Image search: [Google]
Steam-Hearts_PC98_02.jpg
52KB, 300x405px
Why did console games usually have harsher censorship than computer games?
>>
>>3724104
They usually had to licensed by some company that were trying to push their console as something kid friendly (for the most part). PC games usually never had to be licensed.
>>
>>3724109
This, plus I guess the target auditory had different ages. Especially when PCs used to cost much more than today.
>>
>>3724104
It was pretty easy just to mass produce games onto disks and put them in a little slip to distribute them, no liscensing required like for a console.

Hell, FDS got a lot wilder than the Famicom because it was super easy to pirate games for.
>>
>>3724151
This also stands for the eternal lesson of the success of most retro games: The better the platform can support piracy, the more it will probably sell. This is how the PSX beat the N64, and how the Famicom beat its competitors.
>>
>>3724152
That gets said a lot but I really don't think it's true at all. In fact, I think the opposite correlation - that the cheaper and more popular a console is, the greater the market force to push the hacking of it.

Some pirates like to believe they're some kind of positive contribution not just to the gaming community but even to the very companies they bleed. Consoles like the Famicom and to a much lesser extent, Playstation were loss leaders that cost more to produce than they were sold for with the expectation of recouping that loss through software royalties. Hacked consoles never even buy themselves back from the manufacturers.

>>3724104
My answer is the technocracy. Computer gamers skewed not only older but wealthier and better educated. They just never really made a stink about it and flew under the radar. As Anon said, popular opinion at the time was that computers were not for kids even though kids were being taught to use them in school. So yeah, under the radar because their communities were much smarter back then.
>>
>>3724165
>Some pirates like to believe they're some kind of positive contribution not just to the gaming community but even to the very companies they bleed. Consoles like the Famicom and to a much lesser extent, Playstation were loss leaders that cost more to produce than they were sold for with the expectation of recouping that loss through software royalties. Hacked consoles never even buy themselves back from the manufacturers.
100 times this. Piracy apologists like to imply they had some important role in vidya market. Their only "role" was that they shrunk the potential customer base. But they insist it was their "support" that kept game companies afloat. When you tell them the companies exist for making money, they usually call them greedy capitalists. A funny bunch indeed
>>
>>3724165
>So yeah, under the radar because their communities were much smarter back then.
That was quite true. As you may know Japan has a low forbidding the display of genitals. A lot of game makers ignored that ban and produced uncensored eorge.
It wasn't until a boy got caught shoplifting such a game that public outcry started.
>>
>>3724104
>4KIDS
Duh.
>>
>>3724226
>100 times this. Piracy apologists like to imply they had some important role in vidya market. Their only "role" was that they shrunk the potential customer base. But they insist it was their "support" that kept game companies afloat. When you tell them the companies exist for making money, they usually call them greedy capitalists. A funny bunch indeed

Thanks ebay shill. Stay in your shill containment threads.
>>
>>3724104
>Why did console games usually have harsher censorship than computer games?

Computers were mainly bought and used by adults, console games were bought by adults mainly for their children.
>>
>>3725278
Wow, you've made quite a strawman right there bro. Moreover, you implied the polar opposite of what I meant.

I actually think reselling games is not much different from piracy. It actually harms the market, and game makers don't get shit from it. You could as well dump a game and charge money for the ROM.

Flashcarts or virtual console/retro collection games are the best choices when you want to play old games. Buying from resellers only because it's "morally correct" is wrong and harmful, you only feed parasites.
>>
>>3725280
Not in Europe
>>
>>3724152
Dreamcast would like a word with you. Within 3 months of the console's release, my brothers and I were downloading and burning every DC ISO we could get our hands on without any mods or special hardware.

Good lord did DC++ suck ass, though.
>>
Because Nintendo. Nintendo painted the image that video games where for babies and have been doing everything in their power to keep that image going to this very day
>>
>>3725758
Did adults actually play more console games than computer games in Europe?
>>
Anyone could publish any software for a computer they wanted. There wasn't anything in the way of gatekeepers like consoles which had a hardware manufacturer that could set guidelines.
>>
>>3724104
Because PC games don't have to be licensed
>>
>>3729084
Children in Europe got a computer are early age.
>>
>>3725758

Console companies didn't care about Europe until the PS1.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.