[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Haven't heard any new comments on the Nes Mini, even with

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 98
Thread images: 9

Haven't heard any new comments on the Nes Mini, even with the new revelation that roms can be loaded by USB?
>so /vr/ what does everyone think about it now?
>>
Fuck as fake!
>>
Three foot cord

/thread
>>
>>3723519
>get your foot out of your mouth

I give it 2 months before the process/soft mod is simplified.

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/191623/20170106/nes-classic-edition-hack-adds-30-more-games-to-the-mix-mega-man-metal-gear-and-more.htm
>>
>>3723521
reset button on the system

/you're a retard
>>
>>3723526
I highly doubt that's the end of anon's retardation
>>
>HDMI
>>
>>3723519
http://pastebin.com/af2RxZ6z
English instructions by an obvious Russian.
>>
It raises the price I would probably buy one at from $10 to maybe $30, but it's still so trendy it probably won't drop to there or it'll be long after Nintendo patches it and I'll have to memorize the SN range for the hackable rev.
>>
>>3723857
>custom kernels

what, does that mean they figured out how to modify the emulator?
>>
>>3724257
Something.

Can't trust this video though with the Notepad tutorial and ""if there are errors turn off firewalls and anti-virus software" instructions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfklPLb14TQ
>>
>>3724309
no, i know that you can add roms now..

i mean, actually modifying the emulator software to extend its capabilities.
>>
Looks fishy
>>
>>3724309
I tried and it works perfectly
>>
its true niggas
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/01/hackers-unlock-nes-classic-upload-new-games-via-usb-cable/
>>
>loads new roms into nes mini

.... why not just buy a raspberry pi at this point seriously its almost literally the same software. Before you could make the point that this was official but now youre just doing it ass backwards and then walking backwards again until youre drenched in ass
>>
>>3723521
Actually you ca buy a 9 foot one
>>
>>3725553
But why would you want to? The reset button is essential for doing save states and switching games.
>>
>>3725513
How many rooms did you load? Have any of them been wonky?
>>
>>3725513
A guy in another thread is having issues playing games for long periods and saving states and loading them. How is it for?
>>
>>3725564
I loaded 13 roms. I could play for a long time but I played two levels of Megaman 5 and game was fine.
For testing purpose, I loaded the euro version of Megaman 5, shit was speed up and unplayable, so I think only NTSC ROM will worl

>>3725575
I didn't try save state
>>
Dont use that hakchi2 shit its a trojan
https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/034afe5ed811c9da31c241038aeb2b0934b16ee144ac7adde9ac59e723dd556a/analysis/
>>
>>3723491
still can't buy one, so my opinion is that nintendo needs to step up production.
>>
>>3725653
What's the alternatives?
>>
>>3725675
none, it works but you will get a Trojan
>>
>>3725686
its obvious those are false positives, maybe an error of the program, but not a real virus.
>>
Blah blah blah
Something something Raspberry Pi
Something something Nintendon't
Something something only people born between 1980 and 1990 are allowed to play NES games
>>
>>3725532
FUCK OFF WITH THE PI SHILLING WE ALL KNOW THAT THEY EXIST
>>
>>3723521
>>3725562
wii classic controller pro + extension cable
>>
>>3725575
I'm that guy.

Turns out that the saves somehow take up a fuck ton of space.

You can have up to 65 games if you only use one save slot.

But if you want all four save slots, you can only load 2 additional games.

Here's a spread sheet:

4 slots per game: 32
3 slots per game: 39
2 slots per game: 48
1 slot per game: 65

And here is the source: https://www.reddit.com/r/nesclassicmods/comments/5mrmgw/total_gamesave_countspace_issue_what_you_should/

>inb4 Leddit
>>
is there limit how many games you can add? Can you replace games it came with?
>>
>>3726052

Should also add, 44 games is the limit if you still want all the games thumbnails to be displayed on the bottom of the menu.
>>
>>3723526
I don't understand this criticism. Why would you need a reset button on the controller? If you're constantly resetting to change games to the point that getting up is inconvenient then you're clearly using the device incorrectly.
>>
>>3726057
You can, but I can only figure out how to get rid of all 30 at once, which is a shame, because I'm never going to want to play Tecmo Bowl.

Also, you can add everything back super easily, so no worries. I think it makes a backup of your system, I had a little panic when it wouldn't work and did a factory reset, losing all my saves.

When I loaded roms onto the system again, I had my saves back.
>>
anyone who buys this is a fucking idiot. "oooh official shitty trendy nintendo product that can be hacked to run roms?" UNHEARD OF!!! ooh and it has a shit interface and a max capacity of 65 roms??? OOH MUST HAVE!!!!! morons.
>>
>>3726074
Why are you so angry friendo?
>>
Doesn't this thing have all kinds of weird lag?
>>
>>3726082

You only notice that kind of thing if you're some kind of speed running autist.
>>
>>3726078
because his girlfriend left him for a douche called chad, thats the only reason.

faggots bitter at life see no other relief than dissing on shit that doesnt affect them at all.
>>
>>3726065

Update, just re-loaded my NES mini with some of the games I deleted last night. The saves I made were still there.

So, it seems you can have as many games as you want. You just have to swap them out for no more than 65 ( or less if you use more than one save slot )

You can look at it in a bad way, but I think this will keep me from game hopping too much, I have a bad habit of not finishing games when I have too many options.
>>
>>3726074

He's right. Why the fuck would you want some multi-rom system that has memory limitations... in 2017
>>
>>3726117

So you're glad that you weren't given the option to load more roms or less roms at your own discretion because you have shitty habits and need somebody to decide for you. Are you sure you aren't a woman?
>>
>>3726121
Maybe has it ever occured to you guys that you are not the target audience? Seriously, the unit is for people who don't want to bother with emulating on a computer, or raspi, or hacking their wii or whatnot. Maybe it's just for people who want to reconnect with some of the games of their past without any hassle? All the buzz and most of the purchases for this system were by non-retro-gamers, and most of the negativity comes from the retro-gaming community.

So It's simple, you don't like it because it's not tailored to you.
>>
>>3726082
It's actually not bad on a reasonably fast display, the hardwired controllers help.
>>
>>3726209
It's not your money, why do you give a fuck?
>>
>>3725653
Learn to interpret the virustotal results, you idiot. Kaspersky 7 heuristic detection (google its release year) and two unknown engines, one of which isn't even updated daily, mean absolutely nothing, especially when they flag files that are clearly cross-platform tools. Do you even understand you can download the source code from the repository and compile it yourself?

When given powerful tools, some people simply can't help but kill themselves with them.
>>
>>3723491
Still overpriced hipster shit. You can do better with a $10 SBC.
>>
>>3726209

This thread is literally about what our opinion is, look at the OP. You can have fun playing devil's advocate for normies all you want but it doesn't change our opinions.
>>
Could you load romhacks?

Like Minus Infinity?
>>
>>3726567
one guy in this thread who said he got it to work said rom hacks work too. not familiar with what you are referring to with minus infinity
>>
>>3726567

I got the MOTHER 25th anniversary edition working, so I assume you can.
>>
>>3725513
I can't wait for people to pull the software off the Nes Mini and flash it to a bigger chip.
>>
>>3726662
Most probably pull it off on to their hard drive which is much bigger than any flash chip.
>>
File: okay.png (22KB, 275x200px) Image search: [Google]
okay.png
22KB, 275x200px
>you can finally emulate with an emulator
>>
>>3726575
Proof!?
>>
>>3725717
Not him, but why spend $50 on a NES Mini if a similar device costs like $30?
If I was going to bother with a dedicated emulator box (why fucking bother?), I'd more likely buy a Pi.

The NES Mini has a better UI, definitely, but it's not worth $20 and less functionality.
>>
File: 20170109_013108~01[1].jpg (2MB, 3024x2829px) Image search: [Google]
20170109_013108~01[1].jpg
2MB, 3024x2829px
>>3727137

Not sure what I'd have to gain from lying about it, but here you go.

I also have a fan translation of Final Fantasy 3 and Fire Emblem working too.

I don't feel like romhacks will have any problems running on this thing unless they have trouble running on other emulators as well.
>>
>>3727071
Who woulda guessed?
>>
>>3725717
>FUCK OFF WITH THE PI SHILLING
>keep going with the NES mini shilling
It's fucking phone hardware, no different from a retron but at least with a retron you can insert your own carts and be a faggot that way.

>>3726209
>Maybe has it ever occured to you guys that you are not the target audience? Seriously, the unit is for people who don't want to bother with emulating on a computer, or raspi, or hacking their wii or whatnot.
So in other words not a single person on /vr/. Fuck off this this bullshit

>>3726309
>Malicious code can't be obfuscated in open source tools
Look at you, you little genius. I'm sure you know way more than actual computer scientists in Russia
>>
>>3727146
I'd say the better UI and less input lag is worth $20, but that's not the point. The point is that we don't need 600 shills in every, single, thread on this board to tell us what a fucking Pi is. WE KNOW WHAT IT IS, WE KNOW HOW TO BUY ONE, PLEASE STOP.
>>
>>3727265
I like your sandpaper attitude, it's quite refreshing on this board.
I think things like the memeberry pi and NES memeni bring negative traffic to /vr/.
>>
how little memory did they put on it?
>>
>>3727363
512 Mb, which is alot because NES games are like 300 Kb.
>>
>>3727453
Probably the cheapest memory chip they could source.

Smaller capacities are likely in short supply.
>>
>>3727343
>he point is that we don't need 600 shills in every, single, thread on this board to tell us what a fucking Pi is. WE KNOW WHAT IT IS, WE KNOW HOW TO BUY ONE, PLEASE STOP.
Yes we do because the NES Mini is exactly the same thing and deserves exactly the same treatment as a Retron does. Willingly ignoring this validates and legitimizes this cheap cashgrab over other cheap cashgrabs.
>>
>>3727526
No, we don't. I don't care how much you're getting paid, nobody cares about your fake computer.
>>
Can't you faggots just ignore people who try to derail the threads?
>>
>>3725532
because I don't want to fucking use Linux bullshit.
>>
>>3727805
And nobody cares about your shitty commodity phone hardware either punk
>>
>>3727453
Probably.

I don't think anything under 512Mb is mass produced anymore.
>>
>>3727526
No one needs you as a shield from cashgrabs, Mr.Voice of the generation.
>>
Ignoring the trigger fest, I've got another update.

You can add even more games if you remove all the original 30 games and re-add them yourself manually. Doing so will change the number of games per save slots to this:

4 slots per game: 40
3 slots per game: 48
2 slots per game: 60
1 slot per game: 80

I'm tempted to do this myself, but I don't know if saves will carry over, but I really really don't want to lose my progress in the more difficult games I'm chipping away at.
>>
File: 14801816950120.jpg (165KB, 870x960px) Image search: [Google]
14801816950120.jpg
165KB, 870x960px
what a madmans
>>
im sure it's a software limitation, considering everything is on a 512mbs flash chip
>>
>>3727845
Plenty are in fact. Any mech HDD is most likely fitted with a 256mb or under memory chip. The same ones we use for ram/rom are used for cache on plenty of disks. We just started using the 256mb for 6+terabyte drives.
>>
>>3727839
The NES Mini runs on Linux you retard.
>>
File: nestc2.gif (3KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
nestc2.gif
3KB, 320x240px
>>3723491
So, the interesting question is: how good is the
emulation? Particularly the response time. And if there are any other neat features.

>>3725532
>>3726209
>>3727146
This could be useful for impressing others. You can tell them you have an NES mini, then surprise them when you have other games on it, and a few rom hacks to boot.

>>3726060
How many saves does that give you, 3 for some games, 2 for others?

>>3726074
65, 44 or 39 games is a lot for some people.

>>3726573
Megaman 4 MI! it's practically a new megaman game.

>>3727839
You can use Plan 9, riscOS, AROS, etc...

>>3727071
>>3727248
It's actually pretty weird that they didn't lock down something so simple effectively. They likely did this intentionally.
>>
>>3727146

The plastic case that looks like the original NES is pretty fucking cool. Way cooler than the fact that it can play a few NES games.
>>
>>3725532
because no off switch
>>
>>3730973
>So, the interesting question is: how good is the
>emulation? Particularly the response time. And if there are any other neat features.

I don't know enough about emulation to comment on the first half, I'm no speed runner, so I don't notice whatever input lag there is. It seems fine to me.

And aparantly the colors are more vibrant than Nintendo's Virtual Console releases, and some say that the sound is better quality too, I've only noticed different sound in Super Mario Bros 2, but the colors are definitely better.

As for other features, there's not a lot of cool features besides the UI and the save feature, plus you can lock your saves so you don't accidentally save over them. And I personally like the CRT filter that adds scanlines.

If we're counting features that the hacks add, you can choose the box art yourself, from either google results or uploading your own.

>How many saves does that give you, 3 for some games, 2 for others?

I dunno, I don't understand it perfectly myself, I'd just be safe and stick with the 2 slots per game. I don't feel like I need more than one save slot personally.
>>
>>3730973
>It's actually pretty weird that they didn't lock down something so simple effectively. They likely did this intentionally.

Looks like that's true

This message was found hidden in the NES Classic:
"This is the hanafuda captain speaking. Launching emulation in 3...2...1. Many efforts, tears and countless hours have been put into this jewel. So, please keep this place tidied up and don't break everything! Cheers, the hanafuda captain."

Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-01-10-nintendo-hid-secret-message-for-hackers-within-nes-mini
>>
File: NES Mini.png (872KB, 2000x1600px) Image search: [Google]
NES Mini.png
872KB, 2000x1600px
So instead of pointless arguing, here's a template to fill out if you'd like.

Now that the max capacity is 80 assuming you use one save per game, and delete the original 30 games to manually add ( or not, like im sure some of the original 30 don't appeal to everyone ) what would you consider to be your essential collection?
>>
>>3730973
It's also likely they just don't care. Whatever they do it's going to be hacked eventually. They're making money selling roms. This isn't a loss leader like other consoles. It's off the shelf parts shat out to milk hipsters for xmas.
>>
Seriously, if you want to emulate on your HDTV just go all in with a mini-ITX build. Don't dick around with RPi or NES Classic or any of that garbage. It's not that much more expensive.
>>
>>3727907
You're right because idiots like you will lap up anything Nintendo does even if it is a shitty hardware emulator, you corporate stooge.
>>
>>3731278
Make it with transparencies
>>
>>3731503
Not a fan of the memeberry or the FC memei but there are better cheaper options. An Intel CPU has many advantages but when you compare the price it to non-meme devices the difference is massive.
>>
File: JVARETR0095X.jpg (337KB, 1241x1753px) Image search: [Google]
JVARETR0095X.jpg
337KB, 1241x1753px
Best thing about the NES mini is being able to use the pads to play Mega Man 9/10 on Wii.

Sadly I couldn't find an official one because they were out of stock, but I got this third party one and while the buttons aren't as good as the official's, I'm satisfied and it's great for MM9/10. Beats that fucking wiimote sideways or the classic pad.
>>
>>3727840
I'm shaking over here, plz no bully.

punk.
>>
>>3731529
And a tip of the ol' fedora to you as well.
>>
>>3727453
The entire USA library isn't even 200 mb.
>>
File: ff.jpg (55KB, 317x317px) Image search: [Google]
ff.jpg
55KB, 317x317px
i'm playing zelda 1 on it, and some rooms that have like a lot of enemies and shit is shooting around everything becomes fucking slow.

i find that pretty ridiculous.

but i like it overall because it's just plug and play. i don't mind the emulation, especially since nes emulation is almost perfect, but this is so much nicer.

will add some more games sometimes.
>>
Not sure why but Megaman 3's enemy select screen and the inventory screen shake when I play it on this.

Seems to be fine on the FCEU.
>>
UPDATE

Looks like we've found a way to expand the number of games yet again.

First, you delete the original 30 games, re-add which ones you wanted to keep manually, this will get rid of the pixel art in the background of the screen saver, which took up space apparently?

Next, you delete the thumbnails that are shown at the bottom of the screen.

And then the new total of games you are allowed to have will look like this:

4 slots per game: 40
3 slots per game: 49
2 slots per game: 66
1 slot per game: 99

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/nesclassicmods/comments/5nnliw/version_3_of_the_game_countsafe_save_count_list/

I'm personally waiting to finish Final Fantasy before I do this, but I'm happy to hear it, I don't even know if I can think of 99 games that I want.
>>
>>3734383
>words
That sounds like authentic NES lag
>>
>>3734895
yeah thanks, i didn't know if that exists.
>>
>>3735191
I was only being slightly snarky. The situation you described sounds like conditions that would have happened on real hardware either way.
>>
>>3735375
my reply sounded sarcastic also but it was not. :-)) i really didn't know, never having had a nes.
Thread posts: 98
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.