[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this a good remake? I want to play FF1, is this a good version

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 1

File: FF1&2Dawn.jpg (8KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
FF1&2Dawn.jpg
8KB, 275x183px
Is this a good remake? I want to play FF1, is this a good version or should I just emulate the original NES version?
>>
>>3723145
It's good and fixes stupid design choices of the first game.

>two characters target the same enemy
>first character kills it
>second character still targets "it"
>"Fine, I guess I'll hit the air then"

I'd recommend this if this is your only option.
If you have a PSP or can emulate, play that one instead.
>>
Wonderswan Color is the best.
PS1 is fine if you can control yourself.
>>
You're asking for a comparison between a version that uses the original magic system and a version that has the more modern MP system.

These are basically different games. I've enjoyed playing versions that feature the original system a lot more, versions using the new system GBA included are very, very easy.
>>
>>3723145

FF 1 dawn of souls has some huge problem with random encounters rate. Literally you will be stopped after 1-2 steps for a fight. Boring as hell.
>>
>>3723146
That's not a fix. It removes the last bits of thinking from combat and turns it into a pure hold A shitfest.
Combat shouldn't have a planning phase if you don't have to account for anything.
>>
>>3723170
It's supposed to make combat more fast paced. When you have near constant random encounters who would enjoy them all being long drawn out affairs? You're right, it's not a fix, it's just a bandaid over the problem of random battles.
>>
>>3723170
How are you supposed to know the enemies hp? Is there a libra spell or some shit so I can do muh planning?
>>
I just finished the Origins version of FF1 on the PS1 and I would recommend that.
>>
>>3723148
What do you mean by control yourself?
>>
>>3723175
They should cut animations if they wanted to speed up combat.
>>
>>3723178
Don't the games include an encyclopedia with monsters you encountered?
You should also be able to estimate enemy XP based on observations.
>>
>>3723180
The PS1 offers a bunch of extra options that make the game unnecessarily easy such as extra saves or an easy mode.
>>
>>3723145
>FF1
Play the ps1 (origins) version.
>FF2
Play the PSP version
>FF3
Play the PSP version, it's basically a port of the DS version but with a better resolution.

Here is your guide for the NES games.
>>
>>3723247
You could also emulate the DS version at a higher resolution.
>>
PSP is the same but with more content.
>>
>>3723290
*PSP FF1
>>
PS1 or Wonderswan

GBA and later ports fuck the MP system and make it more traditional. If you play those, you're missing out on one of the main factors that differentiates the game from it's sequels.
>>
>>3723431
>GBA and later ports fuck the MP system and make it more traditional.
Is the MP system really more traditional? The spell slot system is close to what Wizardry had and somewhat similar to D&D.
>>
>>3723438

Traditional was perhaps the wrong word to use. "Common", maybe.
>>
>>3723145
Its FFII remake is fine, as far as FFII goes, but otherwise it's straight up inferior to the PS1 game with the exception of Thief+Ninja not being dead weight.
>>
>>3723178
the game has bestiary
>>
>>3723676
You faggots keep saying this but the nes version didn't have a beastiary. Stop trysting to pretend like it was a good thing and admit that having characters attack air was an oversight.
>>
>>3723684
>and admit that having characters attack air was an oversight.
It's something you'll find in other video games with similar systems, notably Wizardry.
Even some pnp games were like that.

The idea is that all actions take place almost simultaneously with no time to react to what went on around you.
>>
>>3723747
The slants we just too lazy to program conditionals. They are notoriously bad programmers.
>>
>>3723758
FF was programmed by an American.
>>
>>3723247
>Play the ps1 (origins) version.
If you want 50% of your playtime being taken up by loading screens. PSP version is the best.
>>
>>3723247
>Any version but NES or PS1 version of FFII
They get rid of the base stat ups and downs mechanic which does put you in the mindset to specialize your characters so they can excel at something. Anyone that complains about it doesn't get Final Fantasy II.
>>
>>3724098
If you want to be stuck on permanent easy mode in addition to magic that's overpowered if you stick to buffs and woefully underpowered if you don't because the devs jacked up monster resistance when they introduced MP.
>>
>>3723170
So you're actually FOR hitting the air?
>>
>>3724183
It is for being more selective about your targets. Otherwise you can hold down A and there is zero consequence for it.
>>
>>3724174
NES and ps1 doesn't has the Soul of Rebirth extra mode, which adds more story, just saying.
>>
>>3723145
Yeah, play the NES version. All others wussify the game, as well as wrecking the art style/music.
>>
>>3724296
It's fucking Final Fantasy 1. All the ports were fine. Just pick anyone and play OP.
>>
GBA/PSP/Mobile are easy mode, play PS1 if you want something that's faithful to the NES version but still has modern refinements.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.