[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

An evil version of Shining Force would be gnarly. >good

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

An evil version of Shining Force would be gnarly.

>good defeats evil, as it always does
>evil heroes are banished to shitty places
>eventually some jackass plunders a tomb and sets one of them free as per usual
>an ancient evil awakens
>i mean literally, they're just old as fuck and they can't really fight anymore. the ways of evil must be passed on to a younger generation. the old days weren't so bad. they were just...different
>meanwhile in the cities good guys become totally oppressive & totalitarian & paranoid. people are miserable but of course everyone would feel guilty if they rose up against the clearly good guys. it's all there in the history books
>you must gather your party by liberating towns and villages from douchey heroes and angels with flaming swords
>why is it always flaming swords with these assholes
>fuck
>>
>>3720321
>>meanwhile in the cities good guys become totally oppressive & totalitarian & paranoid. people are miserable but of course everyone would feel guilty if they rose up against the clearly good guys. it's all there in the history books

>good guys
>oppressive
>totalitarian
>paranoid
>people are miserable
>clearly good guys

eh.

other than that, I'd play Shining Force from the perspective of evil
>>
yeah many rpgs would have been fun to be evil in, instead of your generic hero type

also post games where you are evil
>>
File: darkhalf.jpg (978KB, 2242x1238px)
darkhalf.jpg
978KB, 2242x1238px
>>3720897
Dark Half had a really interesting take on playing as the evil guy (as well as the good guy), and now that I think about it there's a twist that's really, really close to some of OP's ideas.
>>
>>3720894
The whole concept of "good guys are so lawful that they turn oppressive and evil" was the premise of Ultima V and ir managed to make sense in that game. With some extra planning it could work in other games. Having bad guys become the liberators was explored in Megami Tensei II and games like that, and it could work in a Shining Force style world thematically. It could underscore that forces of chaos are needed to free mankind or whatever, like Lucifer in Megaten or the chaotic paths in Ogre Battle.
>>
>>3720909
yes, but that analogy doesn't really work here. In Ultima V the good guys turned evil and the Avatar was still a good guy, so it was not like you are playing evil in that game; nor do I think is it necessary to find some good reasoning for evil (eg that chaos leads to freedom trope) because you wouldn't really play evil then (you are just the liberator after all, eh?)

if you make a game about being the bad guy you should have the balls to actually go through with it and let you play the bad guy instead of some half assed compromise (good guys turned opressive, forces of chaos are actually liberators, etc.). The recent RPG Tyranny would be a decent example and even there they kinda pussied out by offering you the ability to turn renegade.
>>
File: 5-SF1_1152.gif (40KB, 384x336px) Image search: [Google]
5-SF1_1152.gif
40KB, 384x336px
>>3720909
>it could underscore that forces of chaos are needed to free mankind or whatever, like Lucifer in Megaten or the chaotic paths in Ogre Battle.
this. this anon gets it

anyways it's not really necessary to actually *be* evil and do evil things. nobody needs to be putting kittens into blenders and making your grandparents work in the salt mine

it's that power corrupts and corrupts absolutely. eventually any idea can become oppressive and shitty

>In Ultima V the good guys turned evil and the Avatar was still a good guy, so it was not like you are playing evil in that game; nor do I think is it necessary to find some good reasoning for evil (eg that chaos leads to freedom trope) because you wouldn't really play evil then (you are just the liberator after all, eh?)
yep. this too

in the end it's still just a shining force game with a novelty reskin and some slightly tweaked dialogue. you're just up against a different threat. the story gets changed, the allies, and so on too. you get to be those weird mutants and monsters but its essentially still just a basic tactics simulator, b/c the shining force formula is golden & there's no need to do anything with it in terms of mechanics

"dark dragon" is a cyclical process. so maybe from a story perspective anything that lives forever eventually can't really stop itself from becoming evil

anyways general elliott seemed to be a good dude
>>
So this is what Shining Force threads have come to, huh?
>>
Shining Force is better than Zelda.
>>
>>3721872
Comparing it to ALttP, I'd say about equal. Zelda has more cool items, dungeons/puzzles, and action, whereas SF has more cool characters and strategy.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.