[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it just me, or is Earthworm Jim 2 actually superior to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 4

File: Level-ate-ps1.jpg (233KB, 1151x811px) Image search: [Google]
Level-ate-ps1.jpg
233KB, 1151x811px
Is it just me, or is Earthworm Jim 2 actually superior to the first game?
>>
>>3717487
It's certainly more possible to pass the first three levels without throwing your controller through a window... unlike the first one.
>>
>>3717487

I wish there were more real levels instead of shit like 3 Puppy Loves, Villi People, and Flying King.
>>
>>3717492
New Junk City wasn't hard (and had the best soundtrack), What the Heck was perfectly doable too. Only the one with bees and big red dudes was kind of annoying for me. I hope I'm actually remembering the first 3 levels correctly.
>>
>>3717505
>Flying King.
>go ahead on the level killing all pig catapults and enemies
>return to the beginning and take the balloon
It's not rocket science, Timmy.
>>
I wouldn't say it's superior, but I do like it more.
>>
>>3717508
He never said it was hard Timmy Sr.
>>
>>3717506
The third level in Earthworm Jim is Down the Tubes, which is pretty tough - at least the part where you have to control sea pods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zQupclPDIU#t=04m10s
>>
>>3717492
New Junk City > Tangerines
What the Heck < Lorenzo's Soil
Big Bruty > The Village People
Down the Tubes > The Flying King
Snot a Problem < Udderly Abducted
Level 5 > Inflated Head
Pete's Sake < ISO 9000
Intestinal Distress < Level Ate
Buttsville < See Jim Run
Andy Asteroids > Puppy Love

THE WINNER? Jim 2.
>>
>>3717516
Another level with god tier music. I'm so glad I played the PC CD version of this as a kid for the best music quality.
>>
File: whattheheck.png (89KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
whattheheck.png
89KB, 300x225px
>>3717516
>he hasn't played Earthworm Jim Special Edition yet
>>
>>3717516
Oh, the part with the bees is Big Bruty in the special edition.
>>
>>3717506
New Junk City is fine. What the heck is annoying as piss but it's not really hard, just time consuming due to FIRE EVERYWHERE

...down the tubes is hell incarnate.
>>
>>3717505
>not liking Villi People

Also, best track
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzD_OVVO1dE
>>
>>3717532
It was better than Tubes, I'll give it that much.
>>
Down the Tubes murdered me as a kid but I don't think it's too hard now. Might be nice if you could see where you're going a little better but it's fine.
>>
>>3717508
>not bumping the balloon with rockets
level can be completed in less than 2 mins.
hell is indeed puppy love on 16 bit.
But saturn version is where it's at.
>>
>>3717550

Yeah, if the camera pulled back just a little bit it would be much easier.
>>
>>3717583
Puppy Love is a piece of shit in every version.

Flying King is just annoying, not hard. Same for inflated head.

Blind Cave Salamander is annoying too, but makes up for it with the Moonlight Serenade and the incredible quiz show.

Really if it weren't for Puppy Love having 27 rounds, it would be okay too. Like, make a level last 50% longer but you only need to score 1 bomb and its over. Instead you need 3 bombs for a round, you have 3 rounds, and you encounter Puppy Love 3 times during the game. Half the game is spent on bouncing puppies.
>>
>>3717596
>Half the game is spent on bouncing puppies.
Thank g*d the level skip cheat exists.
>>
File: EWJ2S.jpg (16KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
EWJ2S.jpg
16KB, 320x240px
>>3717583
>>3717596

I actually found SNES Puppy Love pretty good to control, it takes some time to get used, but once you figure it out, you can get perfect rounds no problem. I even found it fun.
Saturn version, however, has worse controls, they're a lot more slippery, and no matter how much I tried, I could never get perfect rounds, I always missed a few pups.
Saturn (and PS1) versions are generally considered to have worse controls than the 16-bit versions though. I haven't played it on Sega, but the SNES version of EWJ2 was really great.
I don't have it anymore though and I only have the Saturn version, which I'm OK with due to better visuals and sound, but controls are definitely fucked. I think it's because the port was made by Pink Flamingo (or whatever) and not by Shiny, the original devs.
I also hate that you can make the cows say "well done" in different tones as you can in the SNES ver, but that's a minor complaint really.
>>
What is the best way to play Jim 2? Already know that Jim 1 is best on the Sega CD.
>>
>>3717617

SNES if you care about controls.
Saturn if you care about visuals and sound (although some might argue some of the backgrounds are actually more atmospheric on SNES, but the sound/music is definitely better on Saturn).

I'd say, since EWJ isn't a game you'll want to play for the gameplay first and foremost, and more for the visuals, humor and sound, go for Saturn.
PS1 version is almost like Saturn, but it's missing some visual effects.
>>
>>3717612
The original background looks better.
>>
>>3717617
The only thing the Saturn and PS1 versions changed are backgrounds and music.
>>
>>3717516
This ruined the game for me. It was my Christmas present and I was looking forward to it so much. The first 2 levels were great fun but this level sucked all the enjoyment out of it. I think I must have thrown the pad a few times.

If memory serves, as soon as school started back, I swapped the game for Sim City with another kid. I still regret nothing.
>>
>>3717720
Saturn has worse visuals all around. Woo, more layers, big fucking deal when they can't get transparency or line + column scroll right. Villi People looks better on the Megadrive than it does on the Saturn or PSX.

Saturn has kickass CD audio and the perfect controller, but that's it.
>>
The first is the best. Levels like the isometric shooter, iso 9000, inflated head etc simply aren't fun. Interesting yes but not fun. Buttsville is a superior finale to see jim run. Andy asteroids is the better fun game - less frustrating and demanding than puppy love. Ewj2 isn't bad, but it irritates.
>>
>>3717720
Does the PSX version run in 50hz? Can only find it PAL.
>>
>>3717751
No.
>>
>>3717754
yes it does, it was PAL only.
>>
>>3717745
What was wrong with ISO 9000?
>>
>>3717887

Not him, but I remember some inintuitive level design involving using these metallic balls in order to open paths, and also I could never figure the way these drawer enemies worked, sometimes they'd just stop and let you climb them, sometimes they wouldn't, there was no specific patterns or anything I could discern.
>>
File: image.jpg (591KB, 1400x2370px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
591KB, 1400x2370px
>>3717720
What about the sega cd version?
>>
>>3717915
>What is the best way to play Jim 2? Already know that Jim 1 is best on the Sega CD.
>>
>>3717895
They stop for a second when they can eat the paper you kick up while running. Which is also when they open the cabinet so you can climb them. Not hard, really. Unless you get cornered; they won't stop then.
>>
>>3717895
At least the balls aren't as annoying as the cows in Udderly Abducted.

As for the file cabinets, they respond to the paper you kick up while running around, so run back and forth to get them to pause and open a drawer for you.
>>
>>3717745
>Andy asteroids is the better fun game - less frustrating and demanding than puppy love.
Andy Asteroids is my least favorite thing about EJW1, lousy unskippable repetitive bonus round where you can take damage and die

I never played EWJ2 but it sounds like they went all in on everything that was weak about the first one
>>
>>3718046
Trolling by mentioning you never played 2 but you 'heard they went all in'. C'mon m8
>>
>>3718067
Well I didn't like the bonus rounds/gimmick stages in 1 and I noticed half this thread is saying the bonus rounds/gimmick stages in 2 are not great

I sure hope this epic ruse I concocted has caused you some frustration
>>
>>3717487
Nah, they went overboard with the gimmick stages. Puppy Love alone ruins the game.
>>
There is a debug mode for EWJ2, game is much better that way.
>>
How to git gud at Snot a Problem
>>
>>3718730
Stay away from him when he spins, keep a general idea of where the monster at the bottom is, and try to bait Mucus next to the wall so you can ram him into it easier.
>>
>>3718730

The GBA version was broken as fuck, you just had to keep pressing R. What a shitty port.
>>
What does the Super Cheat do?
>>
>>3718730
>>3718742
If you're careful he will seldom if ever spin, it's only if you attack him repeatedly, and you want to knock him into the wall with one good shot

Basically on round 3 you have two things to worry about

>stay as close to the wall as possible to lure Mucus there
>but don't stay in one spot all the time while falling, because the monster at the bottom is always tracking you, and he'll be waiting for you if you don't move a little

Even after getting decent at it, it's still bullshit, because you have to do Andy Asteroids -> Snot a Problem -> Andy Asteroids without getting a health recharge, or else lose at least one life
>>
>>3718752
iirc

>b jumps
>a attacks
>no button reconfig :^)

the telltale proof of a truly who-fucking-cares port, sadly about average for gba.
>>
>>3718742
>>3719518
Thanks. I noticed there's a quick kill if you wait to knock him till he's at the very bottom of the cavern, but I can't seem to do it.
>>
>>3720741
The difficulty increases as the rounds go on, what you're describing may only be possible in round 1?
>>
>>3717487
reminds me of Ninja Gaiden 2
it was twice as good as the first one

> but number 3 was 1/3 as good
>>
>>3717516
One of the reasons why the first one is great, a much more original sound track compared to the second one.
>>
>>3717487
I agree.
>>
>>3717963
Saturn.
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.