[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I picked up this game because nostalgia. Had the demo as kid,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

File: gf.jpg (364KB, 600x768px) Image search: [Google]
gf.jpg
364KB, 600x768px
So I picked up this game because nostalgia. Had the demo as kid, but I didn't get any of it.

I've finished year 1 with a little help for some of the puzzles. Mostly I figure out what to do, but can't find a way to do it - fx I tried climbing into Doms office thru the window, but couldn't. Guide said I should, and then I managed to place Manny in the right angle/distance. Same with Doms boxing bag - I already tried punching it before turning to the guide, but I must have been too far away from it. I also tried tossing a bone into the pond of tar, but Manny just said he wanted to spare his bone. FTG for that.

I like the game a lot for it's story, visual style, pace and characters but I'm frustrated by the quirky mechanics.

What am I in for?
>>
>>3716556
Did you get the remaster or...?
>>
>>3716558
Yes, I play it on my Vita
>>
>>3716556
You're in for more typically illogical frustrating puzzles of the 80s-90s adventure games and kinda underwhelming ending cut-scene
>>
>>3716556
Play it with a guide. No shame in it
The puzzles are bullshit but it's otherwise incredible.
>>
File: Continuum Fallacy.jpg (35KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
Continuum Fallacy.jpg
35KB, 400x400px
>>3718551
FWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!

Alien: Isolation, Portal 1/2, Borderlands 1/2, Shantae, Final Fantasy 6/X-2/13, Fran Bow, Resident Evil 1/2/3, Silent Hill 3, Trails in the Sky, Phantasy Star, Puyo Puyo, Streets of Rage series, Bayonetta, Perfect Dark, Clock Tower, Xenosaga, Touhou, Alice, Drakan, Okami, Populous: The Beginning, Star Ocean 2, Parasite Eve 1/2.

These are names everyone on this board will recognize, and I'm certain that almost every one is a commercial success.
>>
>>3718750
Wait for him to say "Puyo Puyo is not mainstream" and then say "It's not mainstream in the WEST" even though it competes with Tetris, AKA one of the greatest selling and most enduring names in gaming of all time.
>>
>>3718750
Don't forget Atelier and Neptunia games, both of which have been successful enough to spawn over 20 games between them, not counting spinoffs and remakes, and the majority of those have largely female casts.
>>
>>3718750
Either you know your shit or your Google-fu is on par.
I think we can call this case closed.
>>
>>3718750
Don't forget Syberia!
>>
>>3718454
I really don't care. Even if I cared, I didn't know and now he has my money, so I might as well continue. That is even if I cared, which I don't.

>>3718431
I actually think the puzzles are logical enough. It's just not always obvious what actions are possible. I think it really gives a sense of accomplishment when you suddenly think of a solution and it works. Fx yesterday I suddenly realized that my letter from El Salvadore could make the communists like me so I could lend their book, which I suspected could be given to the bees. Had so much fun.

>>3718519
I will need a guide, that is for sure..
>>
>>3718761
I know my shit, I've played and completed all of those games except Alien Isolation. It really overstayed its welcome at the 20 hour mark.
>>
>>3718519
The only bullshit puzzle to me is the betting stub puzzle, because the biggest clues is in a missable dialog with Maximino . How missable is it? Most people aren't aware that you can even meet him in the first place and there's a point where you cannot enter his office at all.

https://www.reddit.com/r/sips/comments/30czfx/explanation_for_grim_fandango_betting_stub_puzzle/
>>
>>3718861
>game
>point and click adventure
There is no game to be found here, only dialogue and trial and error.
>>
>>3718863
It's still just billions of zeroes and ones with the occasional two you pedantic assclown.
>>
This turned into /pol/ pretty quickly. As much as I enjoy watching the guys at /pol/ compete in shitposting arguments, I really prefer if it stays over there.
/vr/ is one of the friendly boards. Please keep it that way.

OP out
>>
File: garek4.jpg (123KB, 398x530px) Image search: [Google]
garek4.jpg
123KB, 398x530px
In Grim Fandango you are a MALE through all of the game and at some point you have to save a lady in distress (Meche)

And on top of that apparently MOST of the girls in the game are in love with Manny (Meche, Lupe, Carla, probably some other...)

Fuck, its practically a cartonish version of James Bond in some aspects, why do SJW like this game so much again? It seems to go against what they believe in.

Hey, I love the game and I'm no fucking SJW, just a legitimate question because I don't get their love for it, is is like the hipsters that use iPhones even though they are the most mainstream phones in the world thing?
>>
>>3718970
I thought this thread was supposed to be about Grim Fandango. What in the ever loving fuck is your problem? I'm a hardcore liberal and I can enjoy a Ted Nugent song if I think it's good even though I find him and his views abhorrent. Lighten the fuck up and get a life.
>>
>>3718982
SJW's love it? Not really, they just don't criticize it cause it's not that bad in comparison. You realize a game with what you described and without the sexualization and moe-blobbing would instantly be way way WAY better than the average in terms of feminism right? Also the game is good, so there's also that.
>>
>>3719019
Of course is good, but do they care about that? And it is a cartonish game aimed for kids mostly, of course there isn't much sexualization, but the small things they hate are still there, anyway.

Duke Nukem 3D is good but I doubt they like it very much :rollseyes:
>>
Sorry OP but I hope this thread gets pruned quickly.
/vr/ is my favorite board and it doesn't need this diarrhea.
>>
>>3718982
Well yeah, it's almost as if Grim Fandango is a noir story.
>>
File: latest[1].png (1MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].png
1MB, 1280x720px
Maybe this thread can be saved if we can agree on a couple of points here.

First point. Nobody is entitled to have strong, non-sexualised female protagonists in games. It's not a matter of systematic sexism, it's a matter of playing to your demographic. Which is mostly males. Nobody shits on women's magazines for pandering to their target demographic, nobody criticises those erotic novels that housewives read for objectifying men, nobody freaks out over make-up advertisements targeting females instead of males. And they shouldn't. Having the kind of characters that you personally want in video games is not a right. Video games are products and you can choose to buy them if you like them or avoid them if you don't. If you really think having more female representation in games is a super important thing, go fucking make one yourself and stop bitching.

Second point. Yes, Tim Schafer is an SJW. Yes, this makes me cringe whenever I think about it. No, that doesn't mean that we shouldn't play his games or that his games are necessarily bad because of this. And no, that absolutely did not fucking need to be brought up 3 posts into the thread.

Now, if you're a reasonable person, you're probably gonna agree with the majority of what I just said and we can get on with discussing the game. If you're some preachy SJW or obnoxious alt-righter, you're probably not gonna agree and you should fuck off because nobody wants you here anyway.

Here's what I think about Grim Fandango. The cryptic puzzles piss me the fuck off and I didn't quite make it to the end the last time I played it (after not having touched the game for several years and forgetting the solutions). The game is a lot more memorable for it's characters, it's charm, it's visual style and it's music. Personally, I always thought the land of the living segments were really cool. I like the idea that it freaks Manny the fuck out and he can barely comprehend what he's seeing.
>>
>>3719095
Well summed up.
The thread can continue, keep the other shit for /pol/.
>>
>>3718797
the city with the lighthouse definitely gave me the most trouble in that game. I spent hours wandering around trying to make progress before I finally gave in and used a guide. Making progress on your own is definitely the most satisfying way to go about it but there were many times I was salty wondering how I was supposed to figure some of that shit out. Not many adventure games gave me as much trouble as that one.
>>
>>3719920
the same place all the feminism posts went

now go away
>>
>>3720051
nice safespace you got here, triggered-kun
>>
>>3720082
>>>/pol/
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.