[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'll be honest here, /vr/, I'm terrible at fighting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2

File: fight-games.jpg (60KB, 780x440px) Image search: [Google]
fight-games.jpg
60KB, 780x440px
I'll be honest here, /vr/, I'm terrible at fighting games. I try so hard but it just never clicks. Just not for me, I suppose. What genre do YOU struggle with?
>>
MORTAL KOMBAT IS NOT A FIGHTING GAME

it's a murder simulator for casuals
>>
>>3716516
Strategy games. It's not that I'm horrible at them, it's just that I like a good story and fast gameplay.

If I don't have one or the other, I get bored quickly. Either give me a shooter, a fast-paced platformer or an RPG with some heart. I hate strategy titles.

FF tactics gets a pass, though. I find Ivalice intriguing.
>>
>>3716521
Lol true, I'm mostly talking about games like Street Fighter here.
>>
I've seen this thread before...

Not really a genre, but I can't get into ASCII or text-based games like Dwarf Fortress and Rogue. It's such a shame because they look so interesting to me.
>>
>>3716516
I have always had a hard time with gettin good at snmumps, I really like shmumps but I should be much better at them at this point. I can't even beat ikaruga and I havee been playing it on and off for years.
>>
>>3716516
I am also not good at fighting games, at least not your standard stuff like Street Fighter and Tekken. I'm decent at Smash Bros, but that's not even remotely the same kind of game.

>>3716523
I'm also not good at strategy games. They require me to give way too much of a shit. Probably the same reason I can't play chess, or even checkers anymore. Too much investment is required, and I can just get the same amount of entertainment or likely more by playing a different game with my time. Plus, the last strategy game I played was Fire Emblem, which pulls the perma-death bullshit that then creates permanently miss-able party members and gives you no other choice but to restart battle if it goes to shit.

And come to think of it, I suck at FPS games, too, mostly because I haven't played one in 20 years. The only shooters I was ever into were Doom and Goldeneye where you basically just run and shoot constantly. Any FPS where that strategy doesn't work anymore won't click with me.

>>3716714
Is /vr/ the board where people are more triggered by simple topics of discussion than any other board? Are we worse than /v/ now?
>>
Strategy & tactical. Not very good and I just don't have the patience for 15 minute battles.
>>
>>3716521
But that is not Super Smash Bros
>>
>>3716516
You know, back in the days I used to feel the same about FG, mostly because all the guys at school were into SF and KoF, and to this day I'm terrible at those two, especially KoF, which is a shame since I like both characters and music.

Then I found Vampire Saviour, CvsSNK and Guilty Gear and something magically clicked with me, so I don't know, try something different, maybe you'll find a game you'll be good at.

I personally love SHMUPS but due to being partially colour blind I really suffer in most of them, I love DoDonpachi for instance but I can't deal with most levels because most of the bullets are basically invisible for me.
If I find the title which has a good contrast between bullet colours and backgrounds I'm good, but if I don't I straight can't play the game, and it bothers me because I really like the genre and it's perfect to play in the morning while commuting, gets you all pumped up and ready for work.
>>
I just don't understand how to develop finesse and avoid stupid button mashing in fighters. It's especially annoying because I'm actually good at other genres I like (FPS and RTS).
>>
>>3716642
Have you tried playing with a tileset? It makes those games much more accessible
>>
>>3716847

I see you're pretty quick with jokes, anon.
>>
>>3716646
I'm with you anon. Shmups titles, their art and gameplay looks interesting to me and I really want to get into it, but I just kept getting my ass kicked.
>>
I'm really bad at turn-based RPGs, for the most part

It might be partially because I don't have the patience to get through the grindy ones, which seems to be almost all of them
>>
>>3716884
It's a bit like playing piano. I am not joking.

Each match between your main and another character is like learning a variation of the same song. The notes and the general melody are your moves and combos, but the orientation can be chopped up into various styles, similarly to how jazz musicians riff and whatnot.

A lot of people who want to learn to play a character (song) have never even seen that character played well (i.e. heard the fucking song). Do you know how difficult it can be to learn to play a song when you don't even know how the tune goes? It can be done, but it makes it that much more difficult at the novice level.

Anyway, this is getting silly.
>>
>>3716516

RPGs. I just don't have the patience or attention span for them.
>>
>>3716516
All of them. I am genuinely terrible at most video games.
>>
>>3717991
That started off silly and got sillier
>>
Any sort of beat 'em up/brawler/whatever the fuck you call 'ems.

It's just a deeply frustrating and unsatisfying experience because it feels to me like you're playing a simplified fighting game against the worst possible opponents (The A.I.) and having to combo every enemy to death really makes the whole thing feel like a slog because I don't feel incentive to do combos on something with what feels like less of a payoff.
>>
>>3716516
sports
realistic racing
strategic simulators*

mainly due to lack of interest. i don't know what else to call these* (eg: Nobunga on SNES) but they seem awesome but very time consuming and complex. anyone good at / like these? how steep's the learning curve?
>>
>>3718014
High fives!!
>>
>>3718042
Basically this. I just can't get into beat 'em ups. Really wish I could, though. The aesthetics and music are usually top-notch, and everyone always seems down to play a beat 'em up for awhile if there's nothing else to play.
>>
I suck at RTS games -- especially Starcraft.
>>
>>3716884

you have to git gud
>>
Realistic racing games. I'm too used to stuff like F-Zero and CTR, asking me to brake for corners just doesn't gel.

>whaddya mean I have to slow down? to win you gotta GO FAST
>>
JRPGs. The gameplay is trash and the hamfisted stories don't make it worth slogging through them. Not sure what people see in it.
>>
>>3716516
Rhythm games. I just can't. I know people they require skill, but I don't feel smart or clever like with other genres because it seems to be purely reaction/memorization
>>
I struggled with fighting games a lot but after getting beaten for like 2 months online I got kinda decent at SFA3 and 3rd Strike
I struggle in online RTS except if its Warcraft 3 custom modes wich are fun. I don't think RTS games are very fun online.
>>
RPGs like Fallout 1 or 2. I can't really tell you their actual genre (turn-based tactical RPG?). And that's a shame because I really wanted to get into them, I just can't get behind their clunkiness and clutter.
>>
Anything motion-capture, particularly wii-wagglin. I rek at kart 64 but blow out loud at the wii version(s?). I can win the mushroom cup at 50cc but that's really about fucking it.
>>
>>3718240
Same. Love building my bases, R&D'ing new units, structures, and abilities in Starcraft, C&C, and all them. Terrible at actual combat, strategy, micomanaging....
>>
Fps , I suck monkey ass. No matter how hard I try I can barely get a kill. Most of the time I'm just running around aimlessly like a spaz and when I do manage to sneak up on someone I fuck up and die anyway.
Literally the only way I get kills is by Allahu ackbaring myself with grenades and taking out a crowd with me.
>>
>>3716516
Platformers are my killer. There are so many cool ones, with great levels and music and characters, and I just suck at them.

I want to play so many, but it takes me so damned long to get good enough to beat one.

>>3716880
>I personally love SHMUPS but due to being partially colour blind I really suffer in most of them, I love DoDonpachi for instance but I can't deal with most levels because most of the bullets are basically invisible for me.

Weird. I'm red/green colourblind and I play STGs. I find all of CAVE's games to have really good bullet contrast. They are all outlined in black (even the small ones) and they all pulse.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.