[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello, I never played this game when it came out and later because

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 10

File: 46048.png (59KB, 207x243px) Image search: [Google]
46048.png
59KB, 207x243px
Hello, I never played this game when it came out and later because people said it was bad and a clusterfuck and the combat system broken,
And also I didn't like the edgy protagonist.

Now I'm deciding whether I should replay IX for the great music but then again I already know the story, or try FF XII.

Should I give VIII a chance instead? Or is it indeed shit
>>
VIII isn't my favourite by any means but I would still say to play it just for the experience. The first part Of The game is fine and the opening cinematic is pure FMV gold.
>>
File: FF8_Adel.png (170KB, 588x848px) Image search: [Google]
FF8_Adel.png
170KB, 588x848px
>>3711160
TL;DR: VIII is amazing and fuck anyone who says otherwise
VIII is a masterpiece and none of the things you mentioned is true.
You need to be literally retarded to not understand the junction system that everyone complains about.
I naturally figured it out when I was 10 years old and played a german copy I got from an airport without speaking any german. That's how obvious it is, but somehow people managed to turn it into a "valid criticism".
The story is exciting and the setting is wonderful. The soundtrack is also one of the best.
Also squall is not such an edgy emo, just a dude who like many other dudes looks out for himself by shutting others out so as to not get hurt. If everyone was a happy-go-lucky guy it wouldn't be fun. Tidus works for his game and Squall works for his.
>>
File: final fantasy whatever.jpg (424KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
final fantasy whatever.jpg
424KB, 1920x1080px
>>3711160
whatever.
>>
>>3711160
FF8 is great.

People cheese it by getting best weapons on disk1, getting best junction magic by abusing card minigame, or avoid leveling to keep enemy lv low and then complain how game is too easy and broken.

Skip FAQs, walkthroughs and any advice boards and just play it old style and you will enjoy it.
>>
>>3711160

FFVIII is secretly really good, I'm no sure why people hate on it. Just read between the lines a little and don't trust Squall to actually always 100% say exactly what he's feeling.

Battle system is borked but can still be fun
>>
>>3711160
>edgy protagonist

Fuck, dude. As a maladroit adolescent left with no other way to cope with situations out of my control but apathy due to a fucked up childhood, I found Squall to be a great protagonist. There isn't really anything edgy about him that I can recall. He's just not enthusiastic about being forced to live his life without any say or volition for the most part. Why should he be?

He's not some dark and twisted faggot. He just lacks passion. I find that pretty relatable to this day.
>>
>>3711561
>He's just not enthusiastic about being forced to live his life without any say or volition for the most part. Why should he be?

The problem is there's no justifiable reason he has to live that way. He's free to leave Garden and get a job as a dentist or whatever if he wants and the only reason the role of leadership and all this destiny crap is tossed on him is because the game says so.
>>
>>3711571
Really? Can he? The Garden and his fellow students are his only family. I currently reside in a state I despise because my brother and mother live close, and they're really the only family I have left.

It also has to do with how he was raised. His father figure created the whole system, and for him to walk away from that might also be more than a bit difficult. I know that the older I got, the more I realized that almost all of my bad decisions were influenced not so much by information but by learned behavior and affinity.

Squall is not a cold, unfeeling edge-lord. He's just unhappy with how things have played out, but remains intelligent and skilled enough to persevere. Until he dies at the end of Disc 1, anyway. Though the rest of the game is neat, too.
>>
>>3711571
You're free to leave your family right now and become a dentist or something. The Garden is all he knows.
>>
Squall isn't an edgelord he just has depression.

Also he dies.
>>
>>3711589
>Really? Can he? The Garden and his fellow students are his only family.

Whom he shows no end of disdain or detachment too. And just because he moves out doesn't mean he has to cut ties entirely. I moved to other side of the country and I still keep in close contact with my family.

>>3711616
>The Garden is all he knows.

And at some point High School was all we knew. It's called growing up. The Garden isn't some reclusive secret base. Hell they go into detail saying that a lot of students commute from nearby towns. Dentist was just a random example but given how the FF8 world is set up Squall could easily acclimate to modern society.
>>
>>3711160
You seem like a retarded faggot, go ahead and skip the game.
>>
>>3711160
>Should I give VIII a chance instead? Or is it indeed shit
It's a mess. VII was the last good FF before square shit the bed.
>>
>>3711708
You seem pretty normal by American standards with a high level of individuality. But in most cultures, you pretty much do what your family wishes you to do or you are considered black sheep. How many of those dentists became dentists (or doctors or lawyers or any upper class career choice) because they wanted to do that all of their lives? Close to zero, and most were told by someone who raised them and they inherently respected that they should do it.

You also seem not to understand the various forms of adolescent rebellion. Squall's is a silent one because he is paralyzed by his indecision. Whereas Zell gets adopted and seems to get on with his family, but is very flamboyant and temperamental like the average teen.

I don't know why I get so analytical over some games and not others, but I guess this one resonated.
>>
File: bitch yes I'm mad.jpg (236KB, 500x668px) Image search: [Google]
bitch yes I'm mad.jpg
236KB, 500x668px
>>3711160

Final Fantasy VIII is up there for me, maybe not better than VI or VII but still good in its own right. I recommend it.

pic slightly related
>>
>>3712015

Well ultimately though the whole problem is that there's zero reason for Squall to be the "chosen" one over anyone else. He has an insinuated relationship to Laguna but there's really no reason he needs to be the big destined champion over anyone else.
>>
>>3711160
I may be the only one, but I remember the first time i played FF8. The strange thing was, the entire game felt... cold. It felt like i was playing and RPG that wasn't FF at all. And all the fucking teen angst just really put me off. Squalls name should have been Chad. It would have made more sense.
>>
>>3711197
>People cheese it by getting best weapons on disk1, getting best junction magic by abusing card minigame, or avoid leveling to keep enemy lv low and then complain how game is too easy and broken.
It's pretty boring if you don't abuse it though.
>>
>>3712181
You can probably just walk straight through using nothing but field draws and item conversions, without grinding, without exploring that much, just exploiting limits, particularly Zell's infinite.
>>
>>3712048

How the fuck is Squall a Chad

That's more retarded than calling him emo
>>
>>3711160
Give FFVIII a chance but XII is also good
>>
>>3711708
>and at some point high school was all he knew

Garden was high school for Squall. He was adopted and entered into the program at a young age.
>>
>>3712043
>there's zero reason for Squall to be the "chosen" one over anyone else

Disbarring that the whole plot is a paradox, he is literally destined to be the SeeD that leads the team to defeat Ultimecia every time the plot loops, and Cid knows this because of Squall visiting Edea on his way back
>>
>>3712314

yeah but even that was still the worst kind of last minute self fulfilling prophecy
>>
>>3712320
Maybe so but it at least explains why Cid had so much confidence in Squall that may have seemed undeserving
>>
>>3712280
Yeah but the thing is - at that point, what's the difference between that and just watching a Let's Play? It's not like the battles are intellectually stimulating or anything
>>
>>3712353
because it's always more engaging to actually play the game yourself rather than watching someone else do it.

I had guys in my college who would actually criticize games they havent played simply based on watching lets plays. It's disgusting and degenerate behavior.

It's fine to watch gaming content unironically sometimes, but know that it gives you know right to actually knowing how the game works.

Breaking a game yourself is a shitload different than watching someone else breakt he game.
>>
I think that FFVIII isn't a very good game but I can't relate my feeling to any of the criticism or praise the game typically receives. I just feel like it's a really awkward game full of questionable design decisions.

I think the story itself is fine, but its aesthetic makes it seem more serious than it should be taken (I think it's really more like Kill La Kill than Spirits Within even though it doesn't look it). Although thinking about it like that makes me want to play it, every time I try to it seems determined to make me want to quit. It's like the developers were more interested in experimenting than trying to make or even think about making an enjoyable experience. Certain things in the game, like that cork-screw-shaped dungeon, seem to have been designed to be as tedious as possible.
>>
>>3711197
Ignore him, he's an idiot. The game's scaling will fuck you if you're not bothering to experiment with the junction system properly OR you'll figure it out and fuck the game in the ass. There is no inbetween unless you have a strong understanding of the game, and even then half of that is predicated on the players holding themselves back at all times: it really doesn't take a genius to figure out that you can junction heal spells to your HP and safely sit in critical HP so you can spam limits because I figured that shit out on my own when I was 10.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (17KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
17KB, 480x360px
>>3711160
Squall isn't edgy, he's pathetic.
>>
>>3712402
>cork-screw-shaped dungeon

Desert Prison?
>>
>>3712025
>that pic
>implying Triple Triad isn't the real reason to play

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZJB-ylRWiI
>>
8>6>7>5>9>2>1>4>3

10,12, and 13 are the only trash
>>
>>3713405
Hmmm, are we doing this now? OK.

1>4>8>7>6>9>5>3>2

This is my list based on the original games and not remakes. I admit it has a lot to do with re-playability and nostalgia. No bully.
>>
>>3713405
>10 is trash
you're trash
>>
>>3712361
I once wrote a parody review of DmC, which made it sound worse than the holocaust but was very obviously satire.

One of my friends actually took it seriously and to this say insists that it has "Only three weapons, QTE bosses, and three types of enemy"
>>
>>3713405
7>9>10>4>8>2>6>5>3>1>12
Tictacs, FFLII and Dissidia are also nice
>>
>>3714612
>FFLII
That's not a FF game.
>>
>>3711160
It was the only FF I liked. so you should play it.
>>
>>3714630
>called FF
>isn't FF

ok
>>
File: 1430917896819.gif (757KB, 500x279px) Image search: [Google]
1430917896819.gif
757KB, 500x279px
>>3714634
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SaGa_(series)
>>
>>3714657
they're spin-offs just like the tactics and dissidia games
>>
>>3711160
well 9 is shit so go for it
>>
7 > 6 > 4 > 5 > 8 > 10 > 9
>>
>>3711160
8 is okay but flawed and I'm not a fan of rinoa
but it's better than 12, which might be the dullest FF I've ever played
>>
>>3714670
No they're not, they're literally SaGa games that were rebranded because Square cares more about money than sense.
>>
>>3714671
>>3714672
9 would be the best 3d final fantasy if 7 didn't exist.
>>
>>3711160
The biggest issue with VIII is the translation/localization. A lot of these >>3711193 that Squall says in the English versions are actually full lines in the Japanese versions.
>>
>>3714672
I don't get why people hate IX so much, Zidane was a nice change from the edgy grimdark protag that VII and VIII had.
>>
>>3711571
>He's free to leave Garden and get a job as a dentist or whatever if he wants

Yet the Gardens are the only schools we ever see. If he left he'd probably end up as a bum on the street.
>>
>>3714692
I think they just hate chibi models and fun
>>
>>3714670
So you really are that stupid.
>>
You sound like you've already made up your own mind based off the wisdom of forumite dipshits that use terms like edgy to describe game characters so you'll be fighting years of cynical preconceived notions and outside influences on your weak mind if you go the FF8 route. I'd say do something else.
>>
>>3714703
I actually watched my cousin playing half of disc 3 when I was a kid

all I remember was Marlboro and pressing R1 for TRIGGER TRIGGER TRIGGER against bosses
>>
>>3711571
>He's free to leave Garden and get a job as a dentist or whatever if he wants

Actually he's not for a couple reasons. Those being he is not a legal adult, he's only 17, and the Garden adopted him making the institution his legal guardian.
>>
File: child_9.jpg (262KB, 800x560px) Image search: [Google]
child_9.jpg
262KB, 800x560px
>>3711561
It took me a number of replays to really get Squall.
There was never any angst, he was just being distant. He didn't want to get emotionally attached to anyone.
>>
>>3714692
>cloud was edgy
oh look, a retard
cloud was interesting, zidane is flat as fuck and has no redeeming qualities
unless they appear later down the game cause I gave up on IX after some point (a bit after the hunt game)
>>
>>3714717
well you missed a huge plot twist which also explains zidane
>>
>>3714719
well ok, I don't take as much issue with liking zidane as I do with disliking cloud, or worse, dismissing him "edgy"
>>
File: child_3.jpg (286KB, 800x560px) Image search: [Google]
child_3.jpg
286KB, 800x560px
>>3714712
To be fair, I played it when I was 10 and didn't see the causality of being an orphan with abandonment issues.
Like, I just thought people's personalities were this inherent thing that they would always be in any circumstance.
>>
>>3714683

Sunsoft, not Square
>>
>>3714692

Normies that got into it with VII were mad that Zidane wasn't another troubled teen for them to identify with
>>
>>3711160

The easiest FF ever. All you have to do is get the best weapons and try to level up slow as possible till the end. Then, go to Cactuar Island and level up with junction abilities to grow stats, character by character.

Then, rape Ultimecia using Hero Salt.
>>
>>3714782

That sounds like you trying very hard not to have any fun

Why would you do that?
>>
>>3714784
>fun

are you a casual?

do you play with your "friends" too? Or maybe your "gf"?
>>
>>3714789

Yeah I play FFVIII with GFs. Otherwise all you have is items, standard attacks, and limit. That sounds boring.

Fuck childhood memories.
>>
>>3714806
I was this close to write girlfriend to prevent this shitty pun but then I let you have it.

Now tell me, was it worth it?
>>
>>3714815

Oh god yes

You were asking for it, talking about GFs in a FFVIII thread. If I wouldn't someone else would have. I'm glad it was me.
>>
>>3714819
LOL what a beta.

"Fun" is a subjective matter, son.
>>
>>3714826

You really have fun without GFs?

Or are you just convincing yourself you don't need one?
>>
>>3714830
You can use them to max out stats. Cactuar Island is not enough. Where the hell did i say "..AND NOT USE GFs"??
>>
>>3714837

Up above, where you implied I might use them and seemed to suggest that was somehow bad.

>>3714789
>>
File: Capture.png (8KB, 456x223px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
8KB, 456x223px
anonymous is several people.
>>
>>3714838
I didn't write that, genius.
I was the one that write the Cactuar Island and Hero Salt strategy.
>>
>>3714840

It's a straight convo line, you can understand my mistake.

If that wasn't you, then the GF comment wasn't levelled at you, was it?
>>
>>3714847
>you can understand my mistake.
I can understand your immaturity, starting with the poor gf joke.
>>
>>3714849

Nah my GF is pretty well off, professional job and everything. Long way from poor.
>>
>>3714712
>>3714771

Yeah, I think the main reason I understood Squall early on was that my family moved every year or two when I was a kid. That meant new schools and making new friends pretty often, while also saying goodbye to a lot of people in my life effectively forever.

Early on and through grade school, this was never an issue. But as I got older and entered adolescence, starting around grade 6, my behavior began to reflect the lack of constant companionship. Add to this a workaholic mother and substance-abusing father, neither of which were really ever around, and I was left alone a great deal of the time.

I still am, to this day. I have learned to prefer it. I make friends very easily and have learned to calibrate myself in social situations. But at the heart of it, it isn't me. It's an act. I want to be left alone.
>>
>>3711160
XII is my favorite. The art director for that one is the same person who did FFTA. Ivalice is my favorite FF world; same reason that I like IX.
>>
>>3714709

You're assuming that the use the same legal age of consent. I really doubt that any major organization is gonna just send kids off to die publicly like they do
>>
>>3711160
I never saw much hate for it until that spoony review where half of it was him blowing smoke out his ass and showing his lack of reading comprehension trying to make the orphange scene out like it was a huge plothole when it was alluded to all over the place.

It's probably my favorite FF, though I like really like all of the ps1 final fantasy games.
>>
>>3714692
People hate IX? It's the one I hear the most praise from aside from VI and maybe VII.
>>
>>3714717
>zidane is flat as fuck
oh look, a retard
>>
>>3714789
>Not arguing constantly about who has a thing for who with your gf.
>>
>>3711571
"He" can't because all of his actions are determined by you when you play the game.

It's kind of like how VII starts with you not knowing the characters' backstory, then fills you in, then tells you what you knew was wrong. This way, when Cloud is confused about his past and what is/isn't real l, so is the player.
>>
>>3716658

Not really. It's usually just the typical "I can't defend my game when it's under fire so Ill attack 9" kind of shit posters.

At worst 9 was kind of overlooked by the PS2 coming out and they where already showing X stuff
>>
Play it for yourself and make your own decision on whether or not it's shit instead of listening to the other retards who shit all over this.

Edgelord protag is good for the lolz if anything
>>
>>3712025
Literally stop plot progression as soon as I can play Triple Triad
>>
>>3718056
lol remember when there were too many final fantasies
>>
>>3718215
>In the span of 5 years Squaresoft put out FF7 8 9 Tactics, Parasite Eve, Xenogears, Bushido Blade 1 and 2 Vagrant Story, Ehrgeiz, Chocobo Racing, Chocobo Dungeon, Tobal, Racing Lagoon probably some other shit
>took 10 years to make 15
>>
>>3718301
It did, but they also made FFXIII-2, Lightning Returns, Type-0, FFXIV, Explorers, Bravely Default and 2, and a shit ton of mobile ports and other stupid shit.

Their priorities have changed, is all.
>>
>>3718056
Not to mention no advertisement.
Thread posts: 93
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.