[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

In the last month, there have been some threads about why Nintendo

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: Excitebike_screen.png (3KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
Excitebike_screen.png
3KB, 256x224px
In the last month, there have been some threads about why Nintendo still "pretends" ExciteBike and Dr. Mario were good games. Well, here's the answer to this question.

I made a small research and turns out these games were quite big in Japan. ExciteBike and Dr. Mario sold over 1,5 million copies there, beating such popular titles as DQ and FFIII, and of course by far surpassing Contra, Castlevania and Megaman sales in the region.

So there you have it.
>>
Thanks, anyway they are good games.
The real mystery is Urban Champion, although I guess being the first videogame about fighting guys on the street must have had its appeal back in the day.
>>
>>3707347
Here's the list I took from https://matome.naver.jp/odai/2135511355842805701?&page=1. It could have some weirdnesses, for example there's no Zelda on it, but from what I am reading actual Zelda sales were stated by Family Computer Magazine to be at 0.92 mln which indeed puts it off the list.

Anyway, here it is, with sales in millions of copies:

1. SMB—6,81
2. SMB3—3,84
3. DQIII—3,80
4. DQIV—3,10
5. Golf—2,46
6. DQII—2,40
7. Baseball—2,35
8. Mahjong—2,13
9. Pro Yakyuu Family Stadium (aka Famista)—2,05
10. Tetris—1,81
11. Mario Bros—1,63
12. Pro Yakyuu Family Stadium '88—1,61
13. Excite Bike—1,57
14. Tennis—1,56
15. Doctor Mario—1,53
16. Soccer—1,53
17. F1 Race—1,52
18. DQ—1,50
19. Ninja Hattori-kun—1,50
20. Mahjong for 4—1,45
21. Spartan X—1,42
22. Final Fantasy III—1,40
23. Pro Yakyuu Family Stadium '87—1,30
24. Xevious—1,27
25. Gegege—1,25
26. Dragonball—1,23
27. Doraemon—1,15
28. Famicom Jump—1,10
29. Lode Runner—1,10
30. Adventure Island—1,05
>>
>>3707356
Because Zelda was for most part a FDS game. The cartridge version came out a lot later.
>>
>>3707358
Yes, I figured that. It's just that most sources state 1,69 mln sales figure for it. I guess it's the total with remakes and such. Hard to say for sure, Japanese wiki lists both numbers and 0,92 is marked as just "sale", I don't know what it means.
>>
I was never a Dr Mario fan but if you don't like Excitebike your taste a shit.
>>
>>3707356
/vr/ is too casual for mahjong and golf
>>
>>3707382
Big popularity of Golf is quite an interesting peculiarity. I guess this explains the huge sales of Minna no Golf games on PS in Japan (outselling Gran Turismo 2, RE3 and Tekken 3 there). Maybe that's also why Mario got his golf spinoff.
>>
>>3707392
Golf games are fun as shit. I dont even like the sport
>>
It also helps that Excitebike is a good game

I reiterate:
>Track editor
>1985
>>
>>3707397
Excitebike is from 84 though.
>>
>>3707393
Yeah, but who knew they sold so well in Japan.
>>
>>3707401

Yeah, technically, but I doubt most people on the board had access to it in '84
>>
>>3707358
>>3707363
FCD games were sold rather differently from FC cartridges. You had the choice to buy a pre-written disk card with game and manual, or buy a blank disk card and record the game yourself on a disk writer.
>>
>>3707341
How the fuck were excitebike and Dr Mario NOT good games?
>>
>>3707430
Thanks for clarifying. I guess counting FDC games sales becomes complicated then

>>3707431
Hence the quotes in my post
>>
>>3707435
I'm not saying you thought they were bad games, retard. I'm asking how they were supposedly bad games.
>>
>>3707341
I think you made the mistake of occasionally trying to inform /vr/ on something for the greater appreciation of the craft. It can backfire even if you mean well.

You and I have something in common.
>>
"mega turbo speed on "A" button"

T. Codemasters
>>
File: TNtnUYb.jpg (222KB, 700x865px) Image search: [Google]
TNtnUYb.jpg
222KB, 700x865px
OP here. So actually I had no idea about this, but Dr. Mario was very big for Nintendo on both NES and GB worldwide. According to their official report, NES version shipped 4,85 million copies, and GB version did 5,34 million. So the two versions of the game shipped more than 10 million units combined, which is impressive, to say the least. Maybe not a Tetris-level phenomenon (over 30 million), but still quite big.

As for Excitebike, it also was in the Top 10 best-selling NES games developed by Nintendo, shipping 4,16 million in Japan and overseas.

This said, as >>3707347 pointed out, why Urban Champion still makes cameos is still a mystery. This game is certainly not on the list of Nintendo's million sellers.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.