[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I've seen this mentioned time to time over the years

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 9

File: 2283504-full_1.png (252KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
2283504-full_1.png
252KB, 320x320px
So I've seen this mentioned time to time over the years but never really had a chance to start it. Now that I have some vacation coming up, I mean to go through the entire series at some point, however I don't want to burn out.

What would the recommended playing order be as told by a fan of the series?
>>
File: MM2 pochi.jpg (39KB, 311x316px) Image search: [Google]
MM2 pochi.jpg
39KB, 311x316px
>>3705476
The NES Metal Max is not worth playing since Returns is so good, unless you want to for historic purposes, in which case you might want to check it out since it's pretty impressive structurally speaking for its time, one of the best NES RPG for sure.

Metal Max 2 also got a superb remake with Metal Max 2: Reloaded on the DS, so again, play it if you want to see how the original was like but the remake is like Returns, it is better than the original in every possible way. Stay away from the GBA port, the resolution is so terrible you can barely read anything, if you want to play the original go SNES or don't go at all.

Metal Max 3 on the DS is also good but MM2:R basically adds all the stuff MM3 introduced plus some rebalancing and other stuff, so I suggest you to play MM3 before it, it's also mostly self contained lore wise so you won't lose anything by playing it before MM2, MM2 ties into the first MM lore wise though and it's also a pretty important part of the general lore.

MM4 is another self contained episode, I haven't played it yet because the fact that it shifted to unique characters instead of generics doesn't tickle my fancy, but I plan to eventually.

Metal Saga on PS2 came during a time the MM team lost the right to the franchise's name so they had to change it but it's a Metal Max, kind of like an alternate universe since it does tie to the first MM but is also not mentioned in other MM games. It is the first Metal Max games with unique characters, which again, doesn't sit right with me, but it's a fine game for all the rest.

Forget about the DS Metal Saga, it blows.

MM games are huge timesinks though, there isn't much to read like most other RPGs but the worlds are massive and there's tons and tons of cities, ruins, quests, different paths which might lead to missing some quests due to the the games' non linear nature, bounties and so on.
Hope you enjoy them, it's my favorite RPG series together with SaGa.
>>
>>3705759
What an impressively comprehensive explanation, anon. Thank you very much for taking the time to explain all of this. I will eventually play the originals (NES for 1 SNES for 2) for historic purposes but I'll do the order
Metal Max: Returns
Metal Max 3
Metal Max 2: Reloaded
Metal Max 4
and Metal Saga
I was actually on the fence of actually committing to starting the series but you've given me the motivation I need. On top of that a time sink is just what would do me well.
>>
>>3705759
Why is MM so underrated if the game provides that much content?
>>
>>3705787
The only entry that was officially translated was Metal Saga.
>>
>>3705787
because it's not designed like other jRPGs, instead being closer to a Western CRPG hybrid

It's not super popular in Japan, and it never got localized much, so all that keeps it afloat as a series is it's dedicated audience of /men
>>
>>3705781
I really hope you like them, they're great games with possibly some of the best freedom and exploration in the genre. The fact that NPCs are not even aware certain places exist or think they're some sort of mystical buildings makes exploring and discovering secrets all the more exciting and interesting, since MM doesn't explain things directly. You'll be looking out to find visual clues, literally searching in every closet to find some information about the game's lore and trying to figure out a big puzzle all by yourself.
Only a few games made me love exploring as much as Metal Max, non linearity and the whole Mad Max setting only add to the game's charm.
>>3705787
Well, only Metal Saga was localized, and it bombed.
It's one of those series that is so different from the rest of the genre you either love it or hate it, even in Japan it's pretty niche and only survives because the fanbase is pretty dedicated and loyal.
Metal Max doesn't have a main story, it arguably doesn't even have a focus on any quest, you're simply thrown in a world and see stuff happen around you and take part in it, even the more story focused games like MM3 don't really have much of a main quest, hell, Metal Max is perhaps the only game in the genre that has a legit ending in the first two minutes of the games, it doesn't even end after you defeat the "final boss".
>>
>>3705787
I don't know why it repels people. I tried to recommend it in other places but no one gives a fuck.
>>
>>3705813
I really wish 2 would get translated already. Does Aeon Genesis even do anything any more? I haven't kept up with them for years now but MM2 is still sitting at 20% done.
>>
>>3705759
>kind of like an alternate universe since it does tie to the first MM

I remember when I first played Saga I thought the main character's dad was supposed to be the hunter you play as in MMR since I thought they looked pretty much the same.
>>
File: metalmax.gif (4KB, 200x170px) Image search: [Google]
metalmax.gif
4KB, 200x170px
>>3705476
As someone who dislikes jrpgs I absolutely adore metal max. Here's some basic info.

The famicom game is not worth your time. Returns (sfc remake) is superior in every way. There were plans to translate it but it was dropped when people realized it would be better to just translate the sfc version.

Metal max 2 (sfc) is good but a bit rough. It came out very early in the super famicom's life cycle and it shows. Graphics and sound are kinda primative for the system but I still find it enjoyable.

Metal max returns is what made the series known and for good reason. A remake of the original famicom game, it's very faithful and an improvement in every way. It came out quite late in the system's life cycle and it shows. It looks and sounds amazing and is incredibly charming. This is the game to play.

There are a few other games but they're not retro. I haven't played it myself but metal saga on the ps2 I hear is quite good.
>>
>>3705941
I guess that most people think it is a gritty, realistic series because of the post apocalyptic setting and the whole tank mechanic but then find out its full of goofy(read awesome) stuff like lizards fused with toasters, cyborg mariachis, couches with tank treads, dinosaur tanks and all the rest. Fun thing is that despite all of this Metal Max is pretty gritty and melancholic, but unlike Fallout it has a more positive message, which I personally like.

Then again, most people simply cannot get out of their bubbles, so when something even slightly strays away from the usual formulas they tend to ignore it or can't appreciate it due to bias, which is a shame.
>>
>>3706002
Seems pretty fun to me. Thanks again all for the recommendation. I'm more surprised I never heard of this series than anything else.
>>
File: 2016-01-11 17.30.03.jpg3.jpg (1MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
2016-01-11 17.30.03.jpg3.jpg
1MB, 2448x3264px
3 and 2R are some of my favorite JRPGs of all time
>>
File: pimp my bus.jpg (51KB, 256x384px) Image search: [Google]
pimp my bus.jpg
51KB, 256x384px
>>3706330
Well, we did talk about Metal Max but it rarely had its own thread, people mostly recommend it when there's threads about lesser known RPGs.
Once you get to play and finish Returns why don't you make a thread about it? /vr/ is slow and it's hard to miss threads, I'd be interested in hearing your opinion on the game.
>>3707139
They're my favorite RPGs on the DS and some of the very best of their generation, the sheer amount of content and things to do is incredible, the graphics aren't bad either, except the 3D which as good as it is for the DS is still kinda crappy at higher resolutions. I'm a bit bummed 3 gets all the good motorcycles, 2:R has that Harley knockoff and the police bike but 3 has that hella cool chopper that suits Drumcan just right, 2:R has the motherfucking bus though.
>>
>>3707167
Im still trying to get that bus

where the hell is the stop sign to make it show up?
>>
File: 2016-01-20 16.48.10.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
2016-01-20 16.48.10.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
>>3705891
mm3 has a main quest line tho

you just have to do side stuff to proceed the main stuff

but yea going into mm with the "im in it for the story" mentality
it has one but youre part of it, not really the center of it (besides 3 which more or less moves you closer to the center, but still not there)
>>
Is it possible to play the DS games with no moonspeak knowledge?
>>
>>3707172
You have to use the metal detector near a desert strip east of the buddha statue, I can't remember the exact point but you have to find a small horizontal patch of sand, after you dig up the stop sign examine it and one of the buses will stop there so you can pick it up, keep in mind that the other wild buses do not disappear after you get your own.
It's a good vehicle if you like S-E/Vulcan slots, might even be pretty powerful if you want to spend loads of money on S-E slots and slap a CPU with S-E-rush on it, you'll need a pretty powerful engine to make it viable though.
>>3707176
Yeah it kinda has but you can completely forget about it until the very last moments of the game if you want to, and you can still do most of the quests against the main antagonists without even taking the "main" quests of the storyline with Kora, like fighting Olga and the others, I completely forgot about looking for Kora during my first playthrough and only began to do so by the time I was doing the Alamo Jack questline, and I had explored 90% of the world by that point, actually, I didn't even find Kora at all by that point, and I even manage to finish the Goemonkey quest before it.

The same could be said for MM2, there is some kind of main story with the Grapplers and the personal revenge against Ted Broiler(ガハハハハハ) in the case of your character, but you don't need to complete it all, killing Mendoza for instance is completely optional even though he is part of the Grapplers, and to kill Mendoza you have to take a whole load of other quests and also can take a few optional ones while you're at it.
Even killing Ted is optional iirc, and he's arguably the big bad for your MC plot wise, the actual last boss is kind of a surprise, especially if you've visited the Brad Museum during the game and played MM1 since it ties up the lore with a huge revelation about the big bad in the first game.
>>
>>3705787
same reason why no one cares for the saga series - they're open world, nonlinear rpgs
>>
>>3707225
>they're open world, nonlinear rpgs

But isn't that why JRPG's are criticized in the west? Because they are not open and linear?
>>
>>3707230
yeah, after the monumental flop of FFXIII with its terrible hallway design linearity became a bad word in the gaming world
but I should've been more specific, if SaGa and MM were first person 3D games they'd probably gain more attention from the mainstream audience
I noticed WRPGs became more popular after the release of Fallout 3, as much as people may hate that game
>>
>>3707225
I think SaGa is easier to dislike because the series' whole point is being different from standard RPGs, so if you can't get into the general weirdness and sometimes bullshit difficulty you're going to hate it, and unlike Metal Max SaGa hates you if you grind and tries to fuck you in the ass by making enemies stronger than you or locking you out of quests.

Metal Max is more traditional but offers way bigger worlds where it's much easier to get completely lost, you can grind but it doesn't really help you all that much, the only thing worth grinding is money and it's painfully slow to do so, even in MM2:R which gives you all the tools you need for grinding, later games do lock you out of quests if you explore too much too.
>>3707230
>But isn't that why JRPG's are criticized in the west?
The west criticizes the east regardless of that, this website as a whole is full of people who yell weeb at others for the smallest thing regarding japan.
>>
I have a question about Metal Saga. Having a blast playing Metal Max: Returns by the by. I'll definitely make a thread (if this one is dead) when I finish it

Looking at the dates, Metal Max 2(s remake) and 3 were released after Metal Saga. Given that, should I play Saga before 3 then 2 or what?
>>
>>3709467
As I said before, Metal Saga is loosely connected to the first MM lore wise, but MM2 has a more direct connection overall, especially since it is the direct sequel in a way.

Gameplay wise, you probably should, Saga does add a lot of things, but MM3 and MM2:R add even more things and polish the formula quite a bit, so going from 3 or 2:R to Saga might be slightly undewhelming especially since it can't quite compare in terms of content, as strange as it might be.

So how do you like you tanks anon?
Did you get past the twin cannons?
>>
>>3709505
>so going from 3 or 2:R to Saga might be slightly undewhelming especially since it can't quite compare in terms of content, as strange as it might be.
Yeah that's what I was figuring. I didn't want to make some leap though and find out I was ruining my consumption of the story though. Thanks for responding anon!

>So how do you like you tanks anon?
I love it! Loading special shells and having just pretty much an extra unit in battle is crazy! Everythings so expensive though. Those weekly's have become my best friend. That I have an entire game ahead of me feels great. Glad I made the thread now, I probably would have gone through my entire life not giving the series a chance otherwise.

>Did you get past the twin cannons?

Yeah the twin cannons took a bit of elbow grease. By pure dumb luck I figured out that spamming pierce shots was the way to go since it can break their stuff and make them skip one of those two turns and took them down in a single try after I made that game plan.

Before that I was so certain that I wasn't supposed to get past them with how hard they crushed the life out of my body. Feels pretty refreshing going into a fight I'm not always sure I'm going to win.
>>
>>3709517
>Thanks for responding anon!
No problem man, I'm glad you're loving the game, that's more than enough to make me happy.
>Loading special shells and having just pretty much an extra unit in battle is crazy!
Hahaha, wait until you get to customize your vehicles' chassis, things only get started when you can go crazy and pimp your machines. It is expensive but all your money is supposed to go into your tanks anyway, on foot equipment might be costly but after you you explore a bit money won't be a necessity, granted that you keep getting those bounties of course.
And remember that there are many hidden Trader's camps around the world, you can find them by looking at certain trees, and don't forget to use your metal detector often, especially around deserts.
>Before that I was so certain that I wasn't supposed to get past them with how hard they crushed the life out of my body.
Yeah, they are the casual filter of Metal Max, if you can't figure out how to get an advantage on those you either try everything or simply stop playing.
The lesson they teach you though is that mechanical enemies have that particular weakness, much like your own tanks. Part destruction will be a key in fighting big mechanical monsters, this is why Pierce shells, hollow charges and even your mechanic's wrench will be useful when fighting them, unfortunately they tend to do the same to your tanks, which is not only dangerous but costly as well.

On foot, there will be certain bounties who will require a bit more finesse than usual, but I'm sure you'll learn all the tricks, if you got past the twin cannons you're good to go, all the rest will come with more and more experience. Careful with closets though, they are nasty things.
>>
Whats the deal with the old man in front of the teleporter? The door wont open from the inside either
>>
>>3709708
You need a key for that door that you'll get later
>>
In Returns am I the only one that waits until I have all three party members before tackling any bounties? I don't know why but I like all my characters having every medal.
>>
>>3710085
I did this the last time I played it too. It makes the first few Outlaws a bit easy though...

Also, if you give your reserve tank one of the CPUs with a counter attack function and then equip that with a weapon with infinite ammo, you will literally shoot down every incoming projectile without having to worry about ammunition ever again. It kind of makes a lot of the nastier enemy attacks late in the game inconsequential. It's been a while since I played, but I recall stopping everything with a laser.
>>
>>3710109
Never knew that about the tanks. Gonna have to try that next time I play. I did always outfit my tanks with a subweapon that attacked an entire group though, they may not have the best power but they clear shit faster I find.
>>
Playing MMR for the first time and afraid of fucking up my tank's build, any advice?
>>
>>3709708
You'll need the Lock Hacker to open that door from the inside.
>>3710085
They make the game easier, especially the soldier, but after playing solo I realized they aren't really necessary since the MC can do mostly everything alone if you plan things right, Rodriguez is a pain to fight with the MC though, the soldier is by far the better character to fight him.
>>3710162
Don't worry, you can undo mostly everything but the chassis, it's hard to fuck up.
Any tank is fine really, the game is perfectly doable with the buggy too, but tanks are less costly in terms of customization since at some point you'll need something with a cannon and tanks usually come with one.

In the first MM there's not really many tricks due to the characters not having commands of their own, so what your tank can do outside of being a stat stick vastly depends on what CPU you install on it.
Generally speaking you'll want a CPU that can shoot multiple shells on one tank, what >>3710109 says is also a great suggestion, especially for your soldier since she has the lowest driving skill, one other tank can concentrate on firing special shells or offering support such as defense or carring tile packs for long travels.

The most important units are the engine and the CPU, without them you can't use your tank at all, powerful engines will allow you to equip more and heavier stuff and also increase the HP of your tank, CPUs allow you to use a variety of tricks and affect your evasion, precision and damage, modifying chassis will open up new slots for weapons on your tanks.
Cannons are best for heavy damage and some of them can fire special shells, Vulcans are great for mooks while S-E offer you many different things from missiles to lasers which often allow you to hit everything or protect you from enemy missiles or shells with the right CPU.

Optional parts like Mirror Coatings, A-C units and Ground Chains are also great utilities against some enemies.
>>
>>3710674
>Optional parts like Mirror Coatings, A-C units and Ground Chains are also great utilities against some enemies.

Is there a list of those kinds of parts and what they do exactly? Like I do usually give my tanks all AC Units but I never knew they did anything, I just thought my characters would like being comfortable in a hot tank.
>>
>>3710674
Another thing you should consider, especially when it comes to S-E, is that some enemies are weaker against certain attack types, remember that in Metal Max damage types matter quite a lot.

Standard attacks like bullets or shell are the more common damage type, they're good against everything and they're the hardest hitter of the bunch.

Sonic attacks are great against certain armored enemies and soundwave weapons hit everything on the screen, on the receiving ends they're quite a bit nastier as they hit your pilots bypassing your tanks and some of them might be even so powerful as to damage your tank's parts.

Electrical attacks are another kind of attacks that often hit everything on screen and can damage parts, there's actually not many enemies weak to this kind of attack so they're not as good in the first MM, in later titles they're admittedly more emphasized.

Cold and Heat attacks are similar to electric attacks, but they can freeze or burn a target, adding additional small damage every turn, much like poison, the difference is that you can "poison" even mechanical enemies with those, but again, they're only really effective against some mooks, heat attacks can completely eradicate plants though.

Gas attacks are a nice type that is actually really effective against biomonsters, especially insects, while they're completely ineffective against mechanical monsters and cyborg they can often deal great damage to any biomonster, coupled with the fact that they hit everything they can easily wipe out a lot of enemies. Little know trick for newbies, your M-Tolls also count as gas attacks, they can also easily kill a certain kind of enemy.

Laser attacks are similar to electric attacks but can be bounced back with Mirror coatings and if strong enough can also damage parts.
>>3710678
>Like I do usually give my tanks all AC Units but I never knew they did anything
You need to activate it from the parts menu in order to make it work.
>>
>>3710685
Optional parts are either useful or mere decoration, since optional parts share a common slot you'll also have to worry about slots, and weight, when you're collecting iron scraps, not to mention that if you travel in moist places Iron Mushroom will start to grow inside your tank real fast, and they're a pain in the ass.

The optional parts that you'll want are:

The Dog system, which lets you fast travel to any city you've visited or get out of a dungeon.

Mirror Coatings, they can bounce laser attacks back to the attacker.

Ground Chains, they offer increased resistance against electic attacks.

A-C, activate it and never worry about enemies filling your tank with gases again.

Camp set, works like an inn while you're outside, not as useful as you might think and kinda heavy, it also runs out after a few uses.

Stealth coat, drastically reduces random encounters when activated.

Tile Packs, restore your tank HP, can be useful during tough battles.

These should be all of the optional parts that do help you, all the rest are decorations that do not offer a real effect iirc.
>>
Another little useless thing to do is spending some money around, be generous, people will like you much more if you drop by and offer drinks or do some other kind of charity, they might even make you a present of some sort.
And don't forget to buy some Picasso and nice furniture for your big sister you ungrateful fucks, holy shit.
>>
>>3710674
>>3710685
>>3710698
This anon covered most of what I was going to contribute.

But one of my favorite things about MM games is that you can go completely unconventional and do your own thing.

Like I had one MMR play through where I only used Light vehicles and Machine guns. So I was limited to basically the Mosiquito, the Buggy, and a Van with 4 M-guns on it. I still wreaked absolute havoc and had a blast. Warrior got the buggy so she could fire her own weapons without leaving the vehicle, too.

Tried the same with Metal Saga, but it doesn't work so well. Still got pretty far and had fun though.
>>
In Metal Max Returns,

If I'm really far away and I die and lose my tank, is the only way to get it back by traveling on foot to get it back?

Also how do I get easy money
>>
>>3710803
>If I'm really far away and I die and lose my tank, is the only way to get it back by traveling on foot to get it back?

I think you can recall it to your location once you get sat/nav. Been a while though, and this might be a feature from a later game.
>>
>>3710776
>Warrior got the buggy so she could fire her own weapons without leaving the vehicle, too.

I heard that you could use your regular weapons from the buggy but never worked for me, how do you do it?
>>
>>3710885
Press L and you'll access the normal menu in combat.
>>
Favorite tanks?
>>
>>3713747
Metal Max Returns, the Van wins for versatility.

In Metal Saga, I'm torn between the Fire Truck and the M3 (forget it's in-game title). Fire Truck is more versatile, but I love the look of the other one, too.
>>
>>3713747
Red Wolf all day erry day my nigga.
Mostly bikes for the other titles or the various vans, cars and cyborg tanks.
>>
>>3713747
Tiger. Not because it's particularly good but it was amazing to just find it in a cave in the middle of nowhere.
>>
>>3716626
True. Unless you went nuts grindan for loot to afford the Sherman early (nah), the Tiger was probably your first heavy tank. Forgot all about that.
>>
>>3716626
The Tiger is a pretty solid choice once you upgrade its chassis, granted that you can finish the game with the Mosquito without problems but it's not a bad choice at all.

Now that I think about it, the Mosquito is kind of cute and cartoony compared to the more "serious" tanks.
>>
>>3705476
I forget, isn't this the series where in one of the games you can take on the final boss whenever you like like in Chrono Trigger?
>>
>>3705476
is there any fan dubs around
>>
>>3718864
The final boss is usually located at the very last part of the map you are able to get to. I suppose you could try to drive just there and ignore everything else. But the monsters' high levels would probably wipe you out easily.
>>
>>3705476
its fallout japan
>>
>>3718879
>First Fallout: 1997
>First MM: 1991
>MMR: 1995

More like Metal Max America. Was fallout inspired by MM ?
>>
>>3718882
have a four legged friend in a wasteland come from a movie made in the 80s call a boy and his dog. then there is the whole mad max movies
>>
File: 987260974470cc0fcd687c436cba8d55.gif (424KB, 1224x740px) Image search: [Google]
987260974470cc0fcd687c436cba8d55.gif
424KB, 1224x740px
>>3718860
I loved all the tanks. But it should be amazing to have the same kind of game in a WWII setting or a Girls und Panzer mod.

>>3718882
Considering it was an obscure japan only game that would be improbable. MM could have been inspired by Wasteland but I guess that's really improbable too. Also Chris Avellone liked JRPG's but I doubt he could know about MM, and he only worked in 2.
It's still surprising to see lots of details both games have in common, even the pipboy concept looks like directly taken from MM.

>>3718886
That movie is from 75, predates almost every modern post-nuclear concept. And it's amazing how it's basically Fallout: The Movie, ideas like the glowing ghouls or 50's retrofuturism were taken from there.
>>
>>3719037
>Girls und Panzer
Totally watched this shit, and would never actually admit it to anyone I know irl.

Does anyone ever use the mechanics' "break stuff" functions? I remember using it early on in MMR. It was great for stalling the double cannons, but I never bothered with it in any of the other titles.
>>
So I finished the game. I said I was going to make a new topic but this one is already up so, you know why mess with a good thing. Anyway;

This game is good as fuck. It boggles the mind that we never got our hands on this series growing up given the amount of freedom and customization that exists in it. Hell given how some of the fights require some lateral thinking (or really just realizing you can do things like, for instance, swapping out protectors) is nutso. The satcom is a pretty fun and nifty tool. The amount of vehicles you can customize up is wacky.

There's also some other things that I appreciated a lot. See an enemy piloting a tank? Shoot some gas in there and watch him get knocked right the hell out. Mechanical enemy? Break his shit with pierce shells or charges. And armoring right the hell up by using a spare tank to keep all my panels was neato too. Hell, everything is neato. It boggles the mind how much fun this was, given how I went into it tentatively based only on word of mouth (and an anons really helpful explanation)

My only regret is that I haven't reached ascended weebhood to be able to play 2 reloaded and 3 (and 4), so i'm making it through Metal Saga (slowly). Still, this is an experience that I probably will return to for years to come. Thanks again anons for being really helpful with your recommendations.
>>
>>3722835
We really need a translation of the rest of MM games.
>>
File: Most Dangerous Wanted.jpg (96KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Most Dangerous Wanted.jpg
96KB, 1440x1080px
>>3722835
Nice to see you've enjoyed it.
How was the final battle? Did you enjoy the second phase?
>It boggles the mind that we never got our hands on this series growing up given the amount of freedom and customization that exists in it.
Well, Metal Max was also pretty niche in Japan even at the time so it's not all that surprising, they did try with Metal Saga and it bombed hard so, eh, what can you do?

How was the exploration? The Devil's Towers are one of my favorite dungeons in retrogames, same with the way the underground tunnels are made, then there's the secret lab accessible only with an error in the teleporter, the biowaste dump, the abandoned hospital, the museum with Michael Jackson's animatronic and the guy with Marylin Monroe's wax statue as his waifu, lots of nice places, not as good as Metal Max 2 but still great for its time.
And all of the flavour stuff like buying furniture, NPCs changing their lines the more famous and generous you are, seeing your statues built in a few cities and of course, the showdown with Rodriguez, the game's full of soul.
And of course great music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDXH0pSh7CE
>>
>>3723068
That song was amazing, I put it in every jukebox I could find.
>>
>>3722923
Man, don't I wish. I have only been able to wade into MMR and Metal Saga as well.

>>3723236
I noticed that a lot of the tunes in MMR got reused in Metal Saga. To anyone who has played the other games in the series, is this common in those games as well? I'm not sure whether it was tribute or closer to just being main themes for the series in general...
>>
>>3723248
>is this common in those games as well
Absolutely, most of the tunes are the same throughout the whole series, such as the WANTED! boss battle theme or Dr. Minch's theme so you can feel right at home, naturally there's many tracks that are also original to each game, but many key themes are remixed or rearranged since the very first Metal Max.

Even in MMR the normal boss battle theme is actually MM2's common battle theme.

The composer is Satoshi Kadokura for those who don't know him.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wHcymLKXxE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YE8Si3I4Zl4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uw5JIvfF9fM
>>
>>3723248
As an yuropoor I couldn't even play Metal Max Saga. I should get a chiped Ps2 someday.
>>
Shame the series is not more popular. I think the setting, gameplay, etc could really lend itself to something like an MMORPG.
>>
>>3723068
>How was the exploration?
Fabulous and fantastic. I actually ended up going to places I'm pretty sure I shouldn't have been at the time given how hard I was dunked in from spelunking across the underground railway.

Yeah the place with the animatronics was pretty engrossing seeing all those pop culture references all over the place. and Dracula. Wish I had a use for the sat cannon cause man that things pretty cool. Generally it felt like I could bumble wherever I wanted to and I'd end up stumbling into something one way or another.

Also tell me if i'm wrong but, the reason humanity got all wiped out was because of Noah right? Like everything's its fault?
>>
So what are the differences between MM2 and its DS remake, does the latter include some new dungeons, tanks, etc?
>>
>>3723387
>Spoiler
Well, kind of.
Noah did trigger the apocalypse and reshaped the world so that machines would fuse with the wildlife and humanity would be exterminated, but it's not all.

You should play Metal Max 2 to know the actual truth behind it all though, there's a small hint in the story that makes sense in MM2 when you think about it, but to spot it you need to play MM2 in the first place. If you want me to spoiler you I can, I don't think MM2 will be translated anytime soon to begin with, but the choice it's yours, it does ruin the game progression though as it's a bigass surprise.
>>3723427
>So what are the differences between MM2 and its DS remake
More tanks, more dungeons, more monsters, all the mechanics from Metal Saga and MM3 got added to the game and some new ones too, more weapons, some MM3 imports if you have the data available, more characters, more everything really.
>>
>>3723442
> it does ruin the game progression though as it's a bigass surprise
I'll sit on it. Given that I'm still slowly slowly slowly grinding cards. Either it'll end up being translated or I'll revisit the series again in a few years from the other side.

I can't wait though. Looking forward to it all
>>
>>3723442
>some MM3 imports if you have the data available

Like if you have an MM3 save or something?
>>
>>3723449
Alright, just be warned that even in MM2 it's not really obvious until you're face to face with the final boss, there's some kind of foreshadowing if you enter in a certain museum, so don't play it with the hype of knowing what ties unto MM because the whole game doesn't give a shit until the last ten minutes, which makes it all the more shocking imo, because everything comes together in a flash if you've been paying attention to the records in the Weather Lab in MM and you've visited the aforementioned museum.
>>3723453
>Like if you have an MM3 save or something?
Yeah, though it's really minor stuff like a few weapons and parts from MM3, there's some Drumcan cameos in the game too even without importing, it's nothing really major or even worth bothering with though, by the time you get access to the fucntion you're most probably not going to need any of those items anyway.
>>
Didn't know there was a trailer of Wild Eyes;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OX0I6tt5ZLQ

Metal Max for the DC would have been great.
For some reason it makes me think about Steambot Chronicles 2 and that makes me sad.
Thread posts: 72
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.