[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>comedy point-and-click adventure games will never be as good

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: YouFightLikeACow_8942.jpg (105KB, 350x286px) Image search: [Google]
YouFightLikeACow_8942.jpg
105KB, 350x286px
>comedy point-and-click adventure games will never be as good as they were in the early-to-mid 1990s
There are some fantastic serious ones (Technobabylon made me cry), but most of the comedy ones these days suck.

Let's reminisce about the good times, /vr/.

How appropriate. You fight like a cow.
>>
I thought Ben There, Dan That was a pretty fun homage to the old adventure games.
>>
>>3703914
They suck because, as with many games, imitators only know how to copy the superficial aspects.

>Oh, dialogue trees! That's where I fill all the writing with jokes, right?
>Oh, animated scenes! That's where I make something wacky happen, right?

Insult swordfighting is a good example. Yes, it became a meme, but it's also a legit puzzle where you have to use the lines in new contexts at the end. And a lot of Guybrush's dialogue contained detail about the world or subtle hints about what to do, it wasn't just witty quips.
>>
>>3704719
The sequel was pretty good too. They really captured the spirit of the old monkey islands without seeming like a nostalgia wank.
>>
only ever played Curse of Monkey Island, should I try the MI special editions?
>>
>>3705049
It's not as wacky, and the plot is much more serious, but Primordia has a good Sam & Max style banter going.
>>
>>3705648
I'd play the originals just for the graphics. The special editions have this cheap, sterile look to them. it's missing a lot of the charm.
>>
>>3705648
You can toggle between old and new graphics in the special editions on the fly. It's bound by default to one of the F keys. And for MI2, you can set it to use the old graphics but still keep the voice acting (original MI 1 & 2 were not voiced at all in any version).
>>
>>3706285

There's a hack out there that puts the voice acting (and music if you want) into MI1 too, play that via ScummVM and you have the best way to play both games.
>>
File: This is a fight.gif (779KB, 500x251px)
This is a fight.gif
779KB, 500x251px
>>3706285
I remember having a flat out screaming match with a kid at school who kept claiming the Sega CD Monkey Island had voice.
>>
DON'T DIE, THREAD
>>
>>3706271
The special editions of Monkey Island are actually pretty good compared to DOTT. The soundtracks and voice acting are quite good.
>>
I want to play Space Quest. What's the best one?
>>
>>3706293
Correct.
http://www.gratissaugen.de/ultimatetalkies/monkey1.html

Best way to play.
>>
>>3708792
None of them.
>>
>>3708792
3 or 4.
>>
>>3708268
Soundtrack is good, but voice acting other than Dom Armato's and whoever voices lechuck is a complete trainwreck. Play the originals on SCUMM with MT-32 soundtrack and never look back.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.