[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

One thing that really bothered me about when Sonic transitioned

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

File: Sonic 1.jpg (62KB, 343x500px) Image search: [Google]
Sonic 1.jpg
62KB, 343x500px
One thing that really bothered me about when Sonic transitioned into 3D was that it wasn't as arcade-like anymore. When People compared Sonic to Mario one thing that always stood out was how arcade-like Sonic was compared to Mario. In Mario games power-ups are sometimes essential to the gameplay, in Mario 3 for example, if you got a leaf there would usually be more heavy platforming, or if you got a frog suit there was most likely a water section ahead. However in Sonic games power ups are usually irrelevant to the level design, to the point where in the first two games the only power ups were ring boxes, speed shoes, and sheilds, things that while nice to have, never were really necessary.
>>
3D Sanic is pure cancer, avoid them.
>>
>>3701919
I know this, but I still think it was worth mentioning, I see a lot of these "sega VS nintendo" threads popping up sometimes and whenever sonic or mario is brought up nobody takes this into account.
>>
>>3701905
What do you mean by Arcade-like?
Main point of arcade games is to get hi-score and get your dirty initials to the list. Sonic is about progression as well as SMB is. Getting through the game as far as you can and finally beating the game.
>>
>>3701934
Yes, but consider this, it has a score based continue system like an arcade game, it only uses one button and directions like many older arcade games. I honestly think if they added a high score list and the graphics were a little better they could've made an arcade version and nobody would've argued with it.
>>
>>3701947
>I honestly think if they added a high score list and the graphics were a little better they could've made an arcade version and nobody would've argued with it.
Applies to SMB too.
>>
>>3701947
You know both Mario and Sonic had arcade conversions. Look up the Mega Play and the Playchoice.
>>
>>3701957
that's true, but I mean mario eventually drifted away from that while sonic took a bit longer to. Plus I was reffering to a made for arcade version hypothetically.
>>
>>3701969
from what?
>>
>>3701972
Arcade style gameplay.
>>
>>3701987
Not the anon you're talking to, but I can agree with what you're saying. A lot of genesis games had no save states and relied on points to give you 1-ups, sonic included except sonic 3. A lot of nintendo games had save states and allowed you to replay levels because they were made with the intentions of being a home console game, not an arcade game. It's not a true arcade game because all Sonic games are easy to beat, even if you were a kid. Plus the death transitions take too long.
>>
>>3702003
>It's not a true arcade game because all Sonic games are easy to beat,
Well it's all a bunch of giant, sort of empty levels with few enemies and no time limit. SMB1 is more arcade-like than any Sonic game, and they're both way more console-y than Wonder Boy, Wardner etc.
>>
>>3702003
I agree, and I think a lot of that comes from the fact that sega's main focus used to be bringing the arcade experience to home consoles.
>>
>>3702127
Sega even had a console in the 2nd/3rd gen that's primary focus was porting arcade games right? I forget what it's called. Mk III or something.
>>
>>3702136
That was the master system, but even then they put a heavy focus on it, it's something that made them stand out from nintendo a lot.
>>
>>3702150
I looked it up, it was the Sega Mark III. From what I've seen on here, every game looked like an arcade port.
>>
>>3701905
Sonic was conceived as a fully 2D video game. The whole concept of "going fast" and "pinball physics" is tied to 2 planes. In 3 planes, the camera is behind you; you have to turn left and right but you don't see what's around unless you change camera angle. Moreover, what's ahead of you is not seen beforehand; your view could get obstructed, and then you wouldn't see even nearby objects. Aiming jumps is barely possible without autoaim in 3D.

For this reason, everything Sonic has built in 2D simply doesn't work in 3D. The true Sonic experience would be impossible in 3D.
>>
>>3702163
It feels like a lot of Sega games made a lot of poor transitions from 2D to 3D. Toejam & Earl, Ecco the Dolphin, Shinobi. I think a lot of Sega games were meant for 2D, but failed to change the gameplay to accommodate 3D.
>>
>>3702158
>>3702163
Both of those make sense to me.
>>
>>3702171
3d ecco is great.
>>
>>3702171
ToeJam and Earl wasn't a Sega-made game per se. But anyway, I don't see much that prevents it from being successfully taken to 3D. Top-down view games fare very well in 3D, unlike side-scrollers.

>>3702180
Ecco is not just easy to imagine in 3D, it's like it was meant for 3D, with free movement in all directions in the sea and all.
>>
>>3702163
>For this reason, everything Sonic has built in 2D simply doesn't work in 3D. The true Sonic experience would be impossible in 3D.
Yeah but you could say the same for Mario, or lots of other games. Almost every franchise that made the 3D jump had to turn into something else. Running fast in a wide open 3D world is pretty fun and there's no reason why a 3D game starring Sonic couldn't have been great even if it was different from the old ones.
>>
>>3702219
Exactly, but Sonic's speed makes it even harder. SMB is pretty slow-paced by itself, and doesn't urge the player to constantly move. And Sonic games are the polar opposite: the player is encouraged to move forward constantly at high speed. This makes the game a bit like auto-scrolling games, like SHMUPS and such—and you know that these didn't make a successful transition to 3D.

Sonic had to be changed almost altogether, because it simply wouldn't work at all. Spin dash, shuttle loops, bumpers—all of that made sense in 2D, but in 3D it had to be auto-aimed, had scripted camera angles, etc. There's a reason pinball is a 2D game, like why 3D puzzle games never caught on.

Of course Super Mario 64 also lost some of its more intricate designs such as long rows of blocks or enemies, which would simply block the view, fuck up the camera or affect performance in 3D; however, for example, jumping on enemies is similar to SMB in it—and you can even score the old 100–200–400–…–1UP combos IIRC. The overall feel is of course different, but there are very obvious and natural similarities with old titles too.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.