[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

either through a complete absence, or a lack of support compared

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

File: images.jpg (8KB, 264x191px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
8KB, 264x191px
either through a complete absence, or a lack of support compared to previous nintendo home systems, which developer/publisher's lack of output on the 64 was most disappointing?
>>
Square
>>
>>3701667
Square all the way everyday is what they say
>>
>>3701667
Square
Enix
Capcom
Konami
Namco
>>
Gametek, because they went belly-up before releasing the game I was most looking forward to.
>>
>>3701731
Considering some of my favorite N64 games are Konami's (Goemon games), and that they put out some weird but interesting games (Hybrid Heaven, Rakuga Kids), and that they released not 1 but 2 Castlevanias in 3D, the first ever (even if they're not that well liked nowadays, but I still think they're the best 3Dvanias), I wouldn't say Konami was disappointing on the 64.
Enix also released some cool stuff, a lot of it was left in Japan though.
Even Capcom and Namco released some stuff (mostly ports, though).

Definitely Square was the big absent. I'm not really a big Square fan though, but their complete absence from the system is notorious.
>>
>>3701917
The reason to miss square is that they produced their best games that generation. N64 didn't just miss out on followups to faithfulness from the snes, it missed some top notch games by failing to offer competing technology.
>>
>>3701672
>>3701708
>>3701731
Came here to post this.

Square.
Biggest disappointment not having any real good RPGs on the N64.
>>
>>3701917
>either through a complete absence, or a lack of support compared to previous nintendo home systems
OP said
> either through a complete absence, or a lack of support compared to previous nintendo home systems
Konami's N64 output went either unnoticed or got a lukewarm response in the US. In the meantime, they made MGS, Silent Hill, SotN and quite a few other very notable games for PS, which achieved commercial or at least critical success in the West. They didn't fully commit to N64, but then again most Japanese companies didn't either.

The other companies I mentioned simply weren't committed to the platform, reserving their big IPs for PS and leaving only ports and small one-off titles for N64.
>>
>>3701983

Fair enough, but remember SOTN was more like a sleeper hit, it wasn't until the 2000s that it started gaining a cult following, when people remembered 2D can still be cool.
>>
Nintendo should have made a Metroid game

They say they didn't know how to make the jump to 3D, it's like they forgot that 2D games could exist for a whole generation
>>
>>3701963
>by failing to offer competing technology.
What?

>>3701967
>Biggest disappointment not having any real good RPGs on the N64.
Eh.
>>
>>3702339
Back in my day! We had either one or the other. Not both.
So being deprived of all the good RPGs was kind of a letdown.

So don't you "Eh" me, you non Canadian.... Eh.
>>
>>3703041
not him, but for me not having square games is far from a bad thing. Aside from SaGa (which did get some games on PSX), I could easily ignore the company's output for the rest of my days and not care at all.

It was certainly a big deal overall though, but for me? Not a bit.

And being deprived of all the RPGs? Try being a Genesis-only player.
>>
>>3703058
Try being a SNES player in Europe. Sega released more RPGs there than Nintendo.
>>
>>3701990
Well, I said "critical" success for this reason.
> In 1998, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night was awarded PlayStation Game of the Year by Electronic Gaming Monthly.[56] … It was named Game of the Year by PSM in its list of the top ten games of 1997

> when people remembered 2D can still be cool.
I guess the truth was much simpler—
> it was low-balled as a prospect for release in the United States and given relatively little Stateside advertising.
It didn't even sell THAT bad, really. VGChartz states it sold 580,000 copies in US, but their numbers are prone to mistakes. Some guy over Neogaf reports a bit more modest 478,000, but it's still close.

For an under-hyped game, it sold pretty well. I can't find the sales figures for NES game anywhere, but it might as well be the best-selling retro Castlevania game in US, believe it or not.
>>
>>3701983
>They didn't fully commit to N64

Well, Goemon was a big and important franchise for Konami in Japan, and they gave it special treatment on the N64, PS only got b-team titles.
As for Castlevania, maybe the results with Castlevania in 3D didn't went as good as with Goemon, but as far as commitment, I consider releasing the first ever attempt at 3D Castlevania (and even a director's cut/sort of sequel with LoD) to be more of a commitment than SOTN, which was supposed to be a less ambitious project, and of course cheaper to produce.

Overall, still, of course Konami ended up supporting the PS more for obvious reasons, but I think they did try to commit to the N64 with some of their most important IPs. And in the case of Goemon it went pretty damn well. The series just was never popular outside of Japan, but still they did the best localization work Goemon ever received in the west on these titles.
>>
>>3701983
>They didn't fully commit to N64,

That's a pretty common theme with the console. Brian Fehdrau, who programmed one of the N64's best looking games, World Driver Championship (he also programmed Secret of Evermore on the SNES) said that the console barely had any "A-level talent" working on it,
>>
>>3703430
By "fully commit" I mean for example how Square was committed to Sony.

What you mention however is true. I don't see think though that Goemon was THAT big for Konami; I read the first NES game was a big seller, shipping over 1.28 mln units, but the 4 installments on SNES sold in the order of 300,000 copies each over 5 years. Not bad, sure, but that's around Megaman X caliber or even smaller for Japan. I need to double check the numbers but they don't seem off.

It's a bit weird why Konami put Goemon, an IP which was pretty much meant for Japanese auditory, on N64, which came last in 5th gen in Japan (even despite Saturn's discontinuation). Putting Castlevania on N64 made some sense though.

By pure numbers, Konami also produced far more PS games, and of course their RPGs and STG like Suikoden, Vandal Hearts and Gradius had no place on N64.

Still, they gave N64 some of their juicy IPs like Power Pro, Castlevania and Goemon. So at least there was partial commitment there. Too bad most of their efforts there were received worse than those on PS.
>>
>>3703461
to clarify, by that he meant, third-parties. Obviously Nintendo and Rare had their A-game on the console.
>>
>>3703462

I think Goemon was big for Konami, not really sure about sales, but seeing how many games they released as well as merchandising and anime TV series, OVAs, etc, I think it wasn't just a small series for them, it's also noticeable because of the production values of the N64 games (Mystical Ninja starring Goemon is a really impressive 3D adventure game, that came out before Megaman Legends and Ocarina of Time), also having songs sang by anison legends Hironobu Kageyama and Mizuki Ichiro. It's an important title.

As for why did they put Goemon on N64, I guess it's because the N64 was the most capable console for 3D. Yeah, N64 was last of the big 3, but it was still part of the big 3, lots of people had the system and knew about it.

Of course in sheer amount, Konami (and most other companies); put out more on PS, it's a no brainer, the console sold like hotcakes everywhere and was the cheapest to develop for and publish games, releasing games on N64 was a risk always. But when it was well done, it was damn well done.
>>
>what condiment do you feel this four Michelan star soup could have used that it didn't have?

Seriously? Who cares. Water under the bridge at this point. The N64 was and always will be the greatest console OAT. No developer could have helped it achieve that anymore than the ones that already contributed.

Would the N64 have sold better if Square had stayed with Nintendo? Definitely.
Would this have led to more games being produced for N64? Definitely.
World have been better off if Square had stayed with Nintendo? Eh, considering that Miyamoto wanted to bribe them by making a Zelda X Final Fantasy game I highly doubt it. What's done is done, and what's meant to be will always happen.

Give one damn good reason why I would even more a nanosecond want to entertain a hypothetical reality where arguably the two best games ever made, Ocarina of Time or Majora's Mask, are jeopardized?
>>
>>3702216
Nintendo still made two Zeldas
>>
File: 1405129656894.jpg (85KB, 600x857px) Image search: [Google]
1405129656894.jpg
85KB, 600x857px
>>3704245
>the two best games ever made
>Ocarina of Time or Majora's Mask
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.