[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I honestly dislike Chrono Trigger. I played, at least trice,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 7

File: Chrono_Trigger_Artwork1.jpg (118KB, 700x640px) Image search: [Google]
Chrono_Trigger_Artwork1.jpg
118KB, 700x640px
I honestly dislike Chrono Trigger.

I played, at least trice, until after the dome part when you arrive to that "end of time" place and find out about Lavos, however it is unappealing to me that you're just told "lulz go stop Lavos" with no hints as to how to do it.

Am I supossed to just wander around different time periods until I accidentaly stumble upon something Lavos-related or is there something I'm missing? I dislike the idea of just wandering around with no idea of what I'm looking for.
>>
>>3697571
It's not for you, Tim.
>>
it's kinda weak. Combat isn't that interesting, it's not really a difficult game so there's no real challenge to overcome. It's novel, and even kinda important, but it's really not a big deal.

But hey, at least nintendo tax has made it stand out.
>>
Japanese RPG is the most pointless shittiest genre ever.
>>
>>3697582
I actually enjoy the combat, yes it is simple but it works and the lack of random encounters is great, also I will never get tired of the Chrono+Frog combo.

But yeah, the game being easy is part of why I don't find interesting the idea of aimlessly wandering around.
>>
>>3697592
no, that's wrpg and grand strategy. I may not like chrono trigger very much, but it is better than any wrpg.
>>
Take the portal back to the present, that should take you to the demon village where you can advance the plot.
>>
>>3697571
Try reading a guide, you faggot.
PS: I beat this game without a guide when I was like 11. Git Gud.
>>
>>3697596

nice bait, no one actually thinks this though.
>>
Overrated shit it is
>>
Live A Live is better anyway
>>
I just never really got drawn into the story desu. It's one of the few games I bought that I never bothered to finish. Just to put that in perspective I finished final fantasy mystic quest.
>>
>>3697571
Western taste in JRPG in a nutshell

> Ultima gets released
> "What is this PC nerd shit for neckbeards do I look like a board game player"
> Final Fantasy gets released
> "Oh muh god Japanese invented RPG genre what a game"
> DQ1-4 get released
> "Lol nigga what the fuck is this shit nigga the graphics are shit nigga wut imma outta here"
> FFVII gets released
> "THIS IS OBJECTIVELY THE BEST GAME IN THE UNIVERSE and now everything made by Square in the past is objectively amazing. We won't tolerate other opinions and won't hesitate to use violence to fight them"
> Some 15 years pass, and YouTubers engage in some great deal of historic revisionism to convince millions of gen Zers to play muh masterpieces
> The "Square is da bess" echo chamber lives on and gets bigger, meanwhile good less known in US RPGs like Wild Arms and Dragon Quest remain unknown as no one gives a fuck
>>
>>3697582
>It's novel, and even kinda important
It didn't even have anything novel in it.
Phantasy Star IV had combinations before it, pseudo time travel? SaGa 3 did it before it on the fucking game boy of all things, same with no random encounter being a standard since the first Romancing SaGa, all the rest is a rather poor Dragon Quest clone with a FF-ish skin. Even in Japan it didn't really sell that much.

Only americans who refuse to get out of their little nostalgia bubble think CT did anything novel or is this kind of SNES masterpiece.
>>
I like it because it's a JRPG I can finish in about 15 hours (without speedrunning, just normal play)
>>
>>3697571
Git Gud.
>>
Basically try to find new areas you haven't been to yet and talk to people. Look at the portals that are already there in the end of time, I think some of them are places you haven't been to.
>>
>>3697927
there are better short jrpgs like panzer dragoon saga.

>>3697610
wrpgs are awful. please stick to jerking off to mediocre infinity engine games and cuckerfall.
>>
>>3697610
Wrpgs fucking suck, faggot.
>>
>>3698273
>there are better short jrpgs like panzer dragoon saga.
Ooh I'll check that out, thanks.
>>
>>3697952
this. you have to be a spastic to get stuck on Chrono Trigger, it's fairly straightforward.
>>
Amazing graphics and music, interesting characters and story, lots of varied set pieces and a simple but fun battle system. Not sure why anyone would dislike this game even if it's not your favorite, unless you just don't like JPRGs in general.
>>
>>3698404
enjoy. It's only about 12-15 hours. Maybe 20 hours if you really push it. You never have to grind, challenge is very consistent, and it's a lot of fun because it encourages and highly rewards extremely risky play. Not like other RPGs which often encourage you to build up your team. You'll find it's very different, and the music is fantastic. Bit of a tragic development history too.
>>
>>3698410

Dude didn't say he was stuck. He said he found it unappealing that the game was pushing him to wander around randomly. It's an aesthetic complaint, not a complaint about difficulty.
>>
>>3697571

You're supposed to have fallen in love with it already. If you failed to do this and you're actively being bored or irritated by the game, then you shouldn't play it. It doesn't get better. It's just a normal JRPG; the story is weak and the challenge is weak and the music is excellent. It's not the nugget of god's own flesh that people make it out to be. You don't have to like it any more than you have to like Tempest or Starcraft or whatever else.
>>
>>3698460
I guess that's true. but there's always hints/signs as to what to do next. personally I never felt like I was randomly wandering around when I played this game.

the whole idea after the end of time is to prepare and learn more about Lavos, and fix other stuff along the way. the whole Magus quest is mostly based on your party's belief that Magus created Lavos, therefore defeating Magus would pre-empt the whole Lavos situation. little did they know that Magus was just summoning Lavos to try to fight it himself and get revenge, and Lavos has been around since prehistory.
>>
>>3697571
>no hints

go back in time and stop him

CT is one of the few games that both gives you an idea of what to do without being handholdy. At no point are you doing something totally pointless just to satisfy a sequence trigger. If you are lost its your own fault.

That being said if the combat's too dull for you I can see why you'd stop. I like it but I can understand why other's don't.
>>
>>3697920
Chrono was pretty popular even at release anon, and for good reason.

Personally, I felt it didn't pick up until the very point OP is describing.
>>
>>3699563
Oh really
> The game's SNES and PS1 iterations have shipped more than 2.36 million copies in Japan and 290,000 abroad.
> 290,000 abroad.
That's not very much, by any standards.
>>
>>3697892
>Compilation of generic stories is better than CT.

LAL was mediocre at best.
>>
>>3699786
Seven generic stories are still better than one generic story though.
>>
>>3699652
>By March 2003, all versions of Final Fantasy had sold a combined total of two million copies worldwide.

Nice meme!
>>
>>3699878
Mmm, what do you mean? Here's a comparison of the sales of games.

US/JP
FF1—700,000/600,000 (MSX+FC)
FF2—240,000/1,330,000
FF3—890,000/2,550,000
CT—290,000/2,020,000

In US, Chrono Trigger wasn't very popular back in the day. Toriyama didn't help. By comparison, CT sold about as much as Breath of Fire III would do later in 1997.
>>
>>3697571

the "entity" is guiding you.

what is the "entity"?

a very subtle and unexplained lore in the universe that heightens my appreciation for the game
>>
>>3700791
>Toriyama didn't help.

Nobody knew of Toriyama in the US until half a decade later when Dragonball started becoming a thing.

If they started airing anime and Dragonball in the early/mid 90s in the US, then CT would've sold waaaay better.
>>
>>3700791
My bad, the FF3 numbers seem off. They include PS port from 1999. Likely it sold around 300,000–400,000 or so.
> In the United States, where it went on sale in the last quarter of 1994, it became the year's eighth best-selling SNES cartridge;[91] despite this, it was not a commercial success in that region, according to Sakaguchi.
>>
>>3698503
I'm pretty sure the game straight up tells you to go to 600 BC and go fight Magus since he summoned Lavos.

Then to get there you need to go talk to Melchior, then he sends you to get Dreamstone in 65 million BC, then you go grab the other half of the Masamune from Frog (or maybe you do that first, I can't remember), Melchior reforges the sword and you go fight Lavos.

CT is probably the best JRPG just because it has amazing pacing and -everything you do- is relevant to ultimately defeating Lavos. Literally Everything.
>>
>>3700840
>-everything you do- is relevant to ultimately defeating Lavos. Literally Everything.

only in the sense that you have to be stronger to beat Lavos and everything you do makes you stronger.
>>
>>3700856
Beating Lavos IS the plot.
>>
>>3700856
No, everything you're doing is directly related to outting Magus outside of like 3 things which are relevant to the timeline.

>Find out about Day of Lavos in the future
>end up in End of Time
>Go get Magic and Find out about magus
>Do a bunch of shit to fix the Masamune so you can get to magus
>Disrupt Magus' summoning Ritual
>End up stuck in the past
>Have to kill the Reptites to ensure humanity's survival
>Lavos falls during this and opens a new gate to 16000 BC
>Find Kingdom of Zeal which is harnessing Lavos' power
>Try to stop them
>Chrono ends up dead
>Go get a time machine
>Go bring Chrono back and go fight Lavos

That's basically all you do in Chrono Trigger, and it's all related to Lavos. The pre-Lavos fight sidequests are more about individual character development since each quest ties directly to a character (Rainbow shell > Marle, Rebuilding the Forest > Lucca, Factory in the Future > Robo, Cyrus' Grave > Frog, Black Omen > Magus, Ayla doesn't really get one since her storyline got wrapped up in the main game, and bringing back Crono is also part of the "main game")

There is -zero- fluff in CT. There's no bullshit Card tournament. There's no bullshit hunting down Triforce pieces, it's exactly what it needed to be.
>>
>>3697571
>Am I supossed to just wander around different time periods until I accidentaly stumble upon something Lavos-related or is there something I'm missing? I dislike the idea of just wandering around with no idea of what I'm looking for.

How the fuck is this real? What is wrong with you people.
>>
>>3700939
It's the lack of spoon-feeding, anon.

I don't mean lack of directions. I mean the lack of arrows pointing the precise direction where to go, the lack of a non-diagetic instruction by the game saying "DO THIS" in the right-hand corner of the screen, and the relative lack of barriers preventing you from moving anywhere but the gameplay hallway that is the entirety of the interactive game map.

You know, modern handholding bullshit.
>>
>>3700943
Honestly, modern games are more akin to watching the idiot box than entertainment.

>bioshock infinite puzzles.gif

At least old games were challenging or engaging, or even crypitc. It wasn't always this way. Even great games like Dead Rising did it. It's just so crazy.

That being said, a lot of games are way more linear or obvious than most would let on. I still love some old school PC games where having a pen and paper handy was actually a huge boon.
>>
>>3697920
>YouTubers engage in some great deal of historic revisionism to convince millions of gen Zers to play muh masterpieces
Jesus, anon. You need to lay of the /pol/ for awhile. Chrono Trigger was one of those games that was known but not as many people owned as the mainline of final fantasy. Then the PS era hype behind Chrono Cross caused sells of the original game to skyrocket. I remember I sold my copy of Chrono Trigger for $150 to a local game store in the mid 2000s. I almost regret selling it if it wasn't for the fact I had already gotten all the endings by the time I sold it, and I still emulate it every once in awhile.

Also, we got Dragon "Warrior" before we got the first Final Fantasy. And my friends considered Final Fantasy to be a Dragon Warrior ripoff initially.
>>
>>3697571
same fám

you might like Dual Orb II
>>
>>3697571
You literally just go fight Lavos. Every part of the story past, like, the first boss fight is completely optional.
>>
>>3698460
>Am I supossed to just wander around different time periods until I accidentaly stumble upon something Lavos-related or is there something I'm missing? I dislike the idea of just wandering around with no idea of what I'm looking for.

Sounds pretty stuck to me, dumb ass.
>>
>>3702830
nah, there's like 3 bosses before you can get to Lavos. Yakron, the dragon tank, and the flying robot guard in the future.

although in New Game Plus, EVERY part is optional.
>>
>>3702843
>Yakron, Dragon Tank, flying robot

Yeah, yeah, you're right.
>>
>>3702843

And the fight against the Robo gang.
>>
File: 1452736962282.jpg (258KB, 900x675px) Image search: [Google]
1452736962282.jpg
258KB, 900x675px
>>3697571
Post-apocalypse was always the weakest era imo.

But there's a certain NPC that you meet past that point that will point you in the right direction. You're free to pop by any era you wish, but there's also definitely a "linear" way to play the game.

Future is always boring for me on replay throughs (even though I liked it the first time through because of the little car race minigame) I'd push a little bit further than that, because imo once you're past that you're past the absolute worst part of a really great game.
>>
>I honestly dislike Chrono Trigger.

Stopped reading there.

We get it. You think you're a special snowflake whose interests are above the norm.
>>
>>3700867

all the Magus shit came about because the party thought he summoned Magus and wanted to confront him. Frog was just there for revenge.
>>
Y'all faggots are taking OP's bait. The old man at the end of time clearly tells you to go back to your own era after you beat Spekkio and continues to repeat that if you talk to him again. Even if you don't your only options are your own era and prehistory, where you can only explore a couple areas. You'd have to be literally retarded to not know where to go.
>>
>>3703123
>muh childhood game can't have flaws
>>
>>3697592
JohnCena.mp3 are you sure about that?
>>
>>3697571
I don't really like Square stuff but CT actually was the only Square RPG I enjoyed so far. CT is good but it's a bit overrated desu, just like other Square RPGs
>>
>>3697582

dat anti-nintendo bias.

you can play the PS port if the "nintendo tax" boogeyman bothers you so much.
>>
>>3700840
>CT is probably the best JRPG just because it has amazing pacing and -everything you do- is relevant to ultimately defeating Lavos. Literally Everything.
Is that a fancy way of telling people there's nothing else to do in the game and that the game is linear as shit?
Oh wait, there's that optional quest with Cyrus, is that also relevant to ultimately defeating Lavos for you?
I also see that you conveniently left out Mother Brain, which has no bearings on Lavos or the main plot whatsoever and is only there for a forced character arc and you still have to do that.
The very same point could be applied to most Final Fantasy games and all linear RPGs in general.
>There's no bullshit hunting down Triforce pieces
How is collecting Triforce not related to the point of ultimately defeating Ganon?
Are you retarded? This very same point can be applied even more consistently with the whole Masamune segment of CT, you don't even need that thing to defeat Lavos.
>>3703123
This is why people call you faggots triggerniggers, get out of your nostalgia bubble holy shit.
>>
You may as well play DQ1-8 and then quit the genre, it's a pointless waste of time.
>>
>>3703457
>get out of your nostalgia bubble holy shit.
I don't even think most of these people had played CT back in the '90s. It's a case of revisionism much like "Brawl—Earthbound", started by Square fanboys after FF7.

So it's not nostalgia, it's plain fanboyism. There's nothing to be nostalgic about in CT even, it's a game to beat once and go play other games.
>>
File: IMG-20161219-WA0008.jpg (103KB, 644x1000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20161219-WA0008.jpg
103KB, 644x1000px
Sooooo...
If I'm not autistic about cartridges and shit should I just play the superior DS version?

Or is the SNES better anyway
>>
>>3703682
You should kill yourself weeb fagget
>>
>>3703705
Do you realize this game was drawn by akira toriyama?
>>
>>3703706
Dragon Ball is the most normie frienldy anime after Cowboy Bebop.
>>
>>3703714
*rattles tits*
>>
CT is okay on the first playthrough. It bores me to tears on later ones because the plot is the most exciting part. Imo it would make a better animu
>>
>>3703726
I can identify your posts on /vr/, stop that.
>>
>>3703682
Just play the snes version, the ds remakes of classic rpgs always have some awful 3d graphics anyway.
>>
>>3703739
ds remake of CT has the same graphics
>>
It's not that CT is bad, it's just that I played CC first. Trying CT was... underwhelming, to say the least. It's still a good game, but I don't hold it in such high regard as most people. Hell, I never even got past Crono's death.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-12-28-18-12-43.jpg (755KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-12-28-18-12-43.jpg
755KB, 1080x1920px
>>
File: IMG-20161229-WA0004.jpg (1MB, 4096x2304px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20161229-WA0004.jpg
1MB, 4096x2304px
Post memes
>>
>>3703682
DS is good.

People here used to get really salty about Frog's accent, but really it's only flaw is the shitty new content.

Also, them FMVs.
>>
>>3705446
Thanks.
In the end I started it with drastic on my 5.5" phone but no controller meant frustration very soon.

Now I started it with Retroarch on my nvidia shield tv and 4ktv, with crt-royale-scanlines shaders.

Frog talk is not that bad, I'll miss the cut scenes tho
>>
>>3697592
CT is the game that made me completely give up on JPEGs, unless you count SMT and dungeon crawlers.
>>
File: frog.jpg (201KB, 743x1000px) Image search: [Google]
frog.jpg
201KB, 743x1000px
>>3705347
>>
>>3705775
>CT is the game that made me completely give up on JPEGs
I bet you're PNG master race now.
>>
File: 45747.png (138KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
45747.png
138KB, 350x350px
>>3705775
>CT is the game that made me completely give up on JPEGs
Guess you were not a fan of the VECTORS?
>>
>>3700817
Dragonball was popular here in the US in the mid-90's. I was hyped for CT after seeing a preview in Gamepro because I was a square fanboi and dragon ball fanboi.
>>
>>3705997
>Dragonball was popular here in the US in the mid-90s
>First US network run of DBZ - 1996 at a sunday morning 6am time slot, cancelled after two seasons
>Dragonball itself ran for 13 episodes in 1995 until it was cancelled and didn't get picked up by Cartoon Network in 2001
>>
>>3706017
>1995
>not mid 90's
>>
>>3706017
You obviously weren't alive in the 90's. Dragon Ball Z was obnoxiously big even though it was gay as two guys fucking.
>>
>>3697571
its extremely overrated as sin but it deserves at least a 7 for not doing anything bad
Thread posts: 84
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.