[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fixin blixin

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 127
Thread images: 27

File: Yellow SNES.jpg (150KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Yellow SNES.jpg
150KB, 1600x1200px
Hopefully this isn't frowned upon, but can we have a retro repair/maintenance thread?

I'm moving out of a shitty apartment and I've been taking apart my old Nintendo systems to make sure roaches aren't hiding in them. Got the correct screwdriver bit and breached my Gamecube and N64 just fine, but the SNES is more of a challenge. Those deep holes are to narrow for my screwdriver to reach into, it squeezes just barely. I can get the bit to catch but I can't get the screwdriver to fit all the way in so I can properly wratchet the darned screw out and I'm afraid I'm going to strip it.. All the extensions at the local hardware stores are to thick. Any ideas?

Also I guess the SNES is the least likely of the three systems for a roach to go hiding in, since there are less openings.

Also repair and maintenance general.

Also yes my SNES is about this yellow.
>>
>>3695338
>Also yes my SNES is about this yellow.

You mean it has revealed itself as being a rare limited gold edition SNES (tm)

All I ask is: how much?
>>
File: snesy.jpg (243KB, 904x1000px) Image search: [Google]
snesy.jpg
243KB, 904x1000px
>>3695367
Actually, I guess I kind of lied. It's not quite that bad. It's got some...weathering (i.e. I smoke)
>>
>>3695372
That's terrible.
Wipe that shit off. Clean it up.
Christ. Should save that for the crimes against /vr/ thread.
God. What the fuck, man? How can you post that here?
>>
>>3695372
SPOILERS, HELLOOOO?!?!
>>
>>3695402
>>3695410
I suppose that is offensive.
But I am betting there has been much worse seen before.
>>
>>3695415
It's still gore. Your neglect is sickening.
You need to do better. Then post results.
Make /vr/ proud! Redeem yourself! Make this thread have a happy ending.

Hell, maybe you can convince someone to tribute it for you.
>>
>>3695419
I shall. I'll take some alcohol to it before I pack it tomorrow, though I might need to get some scrubbing action going on. I'll report back and rectify my bad parenting.

Now if only I can get this fucker open. I guess I'll take it to a game shop I know tomorrow. At the very least I need to get the screws I've loosened driven back in tight, this screwdriver doesn't work good on this one (worked great on the other systems).

>Hell, maybe you can convince someone to tribute it for you.
>>
>>3695429
Glad to hear it. Pretty sure the shopkeep will appreciate it.

What about those jewelers screwdriver things? Would the biggest one of those work?
>>
>>3695431
I had bought an electronics screwdriver set, but it's too small for my bit. I could visit two other places tomorrow, but I don't have time to drive around again.
Hopefully the game shop is open in Christmas Eve. If not, hopefully it won't matter. I'm vacuum-sealing this thing anyway. A roach wouldn't survive that.
>>
>>3695372

hit that shit with a magic sponge, it'll look brand new
>>
File: a0f.jpg (30KB, 600x512px) Image search: [Google]
a0f.jpg
30KB, 600x512px
>>3695443
Oh shit, good idea.
I think I have one lying around.
Anyway, time for bed.
>>
Just use some hair highlighting product AND UV LIGHT....like a 40 Volume Clear or the good old Hydrogen Peroxide (40%). BTW be aware that hot sun light can bend the plastic...so artificial uv light is the best choice.
>>
File: Sad Merrio.jpg (64KB, 290x236px) Image search: [Google]
Sad Merrio.jpg
64KB, 290x236px
>>3695372
That's not so bad, to be honest. I see worse all the time.

>Run vidya store
>Guy comes in with two bigs bags of stuff to sell
>gets to the counter
>He smells like rotten eggs wrapped in mouldering ham
>He starts babbling about what's in the bags
>I ignore him and start going through them
>Reach in
>Feels like I just dipped my hand in vaseline
>What the fuck
>It's a Super Nintendo
>It's beyond yellow, it's a dirty brown/orange
>1/5th inch thick layer of disgusting goo coating the system and smeared all over the inside of the bag
>Resist the urge to vomit
>Guy says "I got it when it came out, been on the same shelf ever since"
>Realise the guy id a heavy smoker
>He has a disgusting smoker's cough and looks like death incarnate
>touching the system as little as possible I start testing it
>My test cart makes a gooey "shlick" sound as I put in the system.
>It works, of course it works, it's a fucking SNES.
>Check his other bag.
>Full of boxed games.
>The boxes are horribly stained around the edges that were facing the open air
>There is no colour, they're sepia toned.
> It I try to open the box for Donkey Kong Country 3
>This is no longer cardboard
>The flap of the box has the consistancy of old sticky tac and litterally falls apart as I try to open it.
>Fuck it, this shit is nasty.
>I offer a pittance for it
>The guy accepts, he was happy to get anything for it.

That SNES was the only one I ever strip cleaned, and even after I got every last drop of dust/cigarette goo off of it it still stank and was a deep orange colour. I sold it for 50% of a normal SNES. By far the nastiest system I've ever encountered. But of a scrub down, and your system will look alright, about average condition, I'd say.
>>
>>3700152
Who are you quoting though?
>>
>>3700152
Jesus Christ, that is nauseating. He could have at least had the decency to clean his shit off first.

By the way, I got my system open and dusted out at the game shop. Wasn't too bad inside. No bugs reported.
I stated to magic erase it when I came home but I needed to take it apart again to clean the eject panel and the cart slot lid, so I just packed it and didn't take a picture of it. Sorry. It looks halfway better now.

Rest assured that I will not be smoking around it at its next home. I cleaned all my carts and the console contacts, , too. I bet it's going to play like a dream next time I take it out.
>>
>>3700157
>who is autistic though?
>>
>>3700339
I think a generous estimate would be 20% of people clean their stuff before trying to sell it to me. I've probably cleaned thousands of pounds of skin-cheese out of the cracks of controllers over the years.

SNES systems are built like tanks. Outside of water damage, obvious physical abuse, and (easily replaceable) faulty capacitors, you should always be able to get one working.
>>
File: 5353.jpg (941KB, 2261x1493px) Image search: [Google]
5353.jpg
941KB, 2261x1493px
>>3700368
>SNES systems are built like tanks.

Except when the ram croaks and you end up with shit like this
>>
>>3700375
Not saying they don't break, but over 11 years and hundreds of SNES systems bought, tested, repaired, and sold I've never had one I couldn't completely fix. Maybe I'm just super lucky.
>>
File: super metroid.jpg (1MB, 2591x1625px) Image search: [Google]
super metroid.jpg
1MB, 2591x1625px
>>3700382
I checked caps searched for broken traces nothing system seem to be un-repairable.
It just went into complete meltdown while I was playing until eventually it simply could not display anything properly.
>>
>>3700389
Damn, that's a pretty bad layering issue. I've never seen one that bad, but I'd be willing to be it's a capacitor. I've had systems where layers were corrupting, or silhouettes of some sprite layers showing up in the background layer, and every time it's been a capacitor.
>>
>>3700392

You think it's worth buying a replacement cap kit? I tested them and they showed up fine but in the end they are old.
>>
>>3700392
Oh and something I noticed was that some games simply refuse to even boot at all. For whatever reason I could only get Super Metroid and Secret of Mana to even launch.
>>
>>3695338
My SNES is looking pretty yellow
Is Retrobrite a meme or does it actually work?
>>
>>3700512
It 'works' but it weakens the plastic and makes it extremely brittle. If you actually want your consoles to last and not chip and crack after a couple more years, just clean them with soap and water. Just remember, retr0Brite is spelled like a meme because it is one.
>>
>>3697506
Nobody do this.
>>
>>3700576
but this method is the only one that actually works!!! I tested myself in a old soundblaster front panel.
>>
File: ok.png (284KB, 638x825px) Image search: [Google]
ok.png
284KB, 638x825px
What are the steps to fix a broken controller (any sys)? Heres what ive got so far:

Take apart, clean rubber nubs, holes in face
Clean pins (at plug, not sure with what)
Clean sensors on pcb (with contact cleaner, is there a brand name?)
check caps/resis on board for bulging or scorch marks
Check wires from cord connecting to PCB

What am I missing?
>>
>>3695372
please get alcohol, please get magic eraser with extra power, please use a brush and a rag with that alcohol. that SNES could easily be as good as stock.
>>
>>3700991
Get down there with a multimeter and start checking traces.
>>
>>3695372
fuck you
>>
>>3695372
That needs clear coating bro
>>
>>3700152

I think I remember this story.
>>
I have a Japanese PS1 and Bio Hazard. The first time I popped it in, it played through the beginning FMV just fine, but when it got to the cast part, it flashed "cast" for a moment then skipped right to the beginning of the game when they enter the mansion. I take out the disc, notice a grease spot from my greasy fingers, wipe the disc clean, pop it back in, and it plays through the FMV and the cast just fine, so I figured that problem was solved.

So, fast forward to a week later, I start a new game and watch it again, and it skips the cast part again. I take the disc out, and there's no grease spots or anything other than some specs of dust.

What can be causing this? This is the only problem I'm having with it.
>>
File: DSCF4197 - Copy.jpg (757KB, 2000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF4197 - Copy.jpg
757KB, 2000x1500px
>>3695372
This just needs dishwashing soap and very hot water. Most of that dirt is just gunk on the surface that'll come right off with a toothbrush.

Do not use magic eraser. I can't always tell the difference between sarcasm and plain old bad advice on here, but magic eraser is an abrasive that works by literally removing a thin layer of material from the surface. So it's fine for cleaning stuff like stains from drywall or for some untextured plastics. But you'll remove the surface texture if you use it on an SNES and the console will end up looking ridiculous.
>>3700576
This guy is correct.
Never try retr0bright or use H2O2 on an SNES. Maybe it works well on some Dreamcasts, PC Engines, vintage computers, etc... But you'll never get an even coating on an SNES and the discoloration you'll CAUSE attempting to deyellow it will be worse than whatever yellowing it initially had.
>>
>>3702554
>I'm too much of a retard to apply a layer of cleaner so it must be a meme

It does nearly zero damage. It will never make it brittle enough for it to really matter.
>>
I've always just used rubbing alcohol to clean my consoles, and that has always worked just fine. Both my Dreamcast and Saturn were pretty dirty and yellow when I got them, and they both look good as new. I understand that rubbing alcohol isn't particularly good for plastic, but it has never caused any noticeable damage.
>>
>>3702563
Don't listen to this guy, he's a liar.
>>
>>3702586
Go look at the archives on this subject. It's already been proven to do very little damage.
>>
>>3695338
Just so you know the screw threads WILL break apart and you won't be able to screw it back together again.

When plastic gets yellow it also gets very brittle. RetroBrite won't fix it as it doesn't go deep inside the plastic.
>>
>>3702554
>>3702563
>>3702586
>>3702779
I already used magic eraser, and alcohol, if you saw. Seems fine.
>>
File: received_368509233501463.jpg (240KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
received_368509233501463.jpg
240KB, 1920x1080px
On a semi related note to this thread i have a PAL super nintendo that produces this static when i turn it on. Initially it didn't do anything when i turned it on so i gave the pins a good clean out with some isopropyl alcohol and contact cleaner.

Any idea ls what the problem could be?
>>
File: 9780836270099_frontcover.jpg (376KB, 994x768px) Image search: [Google]
9780836270099_frontcover.jpg
376KB, 994x768px
>>3703545
That's the super-rare 3D model, bro
>>
>>3701569
This.

I put off learning how to use a multi-meter for way too long, despite modding consoles and building custom sticks.

You can buy one either online or at Harbor Freight for less than $10, and there are lots of youtube vids that will teach you to use it.
>>
>>3703319
Don't worry, some autist will start sperging about how you damaged it in such a way that you can only see under an electron microscope and that it's fucked for life.
>>
>>3704754
Whoever does will be right. I thought it over and decided to throw it in the trash. Glad I dodged that bullet.
>>
Will soaking the shell in Hydrogen Peroxide help remove yellowing?

Also does yellowing Really make it brittle?
>>
>>3700152
>>It works, of course it works, it's a fucking SNES.
Is this like a meme that the SNES is indestructible?

I can say I've had mine for like 20 years now and it works like a charm.
>>
>>3705473
It is easily one of the most reliable consoles ever made. The only two i would put on the same level would be the N64 and the Sega Master System.
>>
>>3705604
Another one to add to that level is the Atari 2600. Mine I got on ebay looks like it went through a flood and works perfect.
>>
>>3705209
Yes it will, but the yellowing doesn't make it brittle. That said, soaking it in Hydrogen Peroxide WILL weaken the plastic, it's not worth it for reddit karma.
>>
>>3695372
Are you StopDrop&Retro?
>>
How do yous guys maintain you your controllers? They pick up dirt with time: how do you clean them? Do you take them apart or only when they've stopped working?

I've got a PS1 controller in which a trigger is making a skeay noise and sticks a bit, is this the kind of thing one should oil?
>>
>>3705864
No, I am most decidedly not.
>>
>>3701753
I told the same story in a retro gore thread about 6 months ago.

When it comes to retro gore, I've seen some shit. I should start taking pictures.
>>
>>3705907
Taking 90% of controllers apart for a clean is super easy. Getting a DualShock back together can be a bit of a pain in the ass. I'd recommend cleaning every little crack and crevice you can with a toothbrush, then blasting the welling for the buttons with some compressed air (doing this creates a whistling sound that hurts my ears, so maybe put in some earbuds or something.) and THEN if it's still giving you issues put the tiniest amount of WD-40 or similar lubricant around the squeaky button. I'd only ever take apart a DualShock as a last resort because getting the triggers back together is a massive pain.
>>
silicone lubricant i think would be better for plastic and electronics than wd-40
>>
>>3695372
Smoke yellowing literally looks better than this and is cleaner, have you been playing it outside exclusively for ten years or something? How is it that fucking grimey and dirty?
>>
>>3706398
I've had this thing for over twenty years, it's been a lot of places, multiple houses, moving van across the whole country, my ROTC dorm room in an ancient stone building, to the places I've lived at by myself, the latest one having a mold and humidity problem in addition to me adding smoke to the mix. So I guess I've just exposed it to a lot of shit.
>>
>>3705209
Yes it will, but the yellowing doesn't make it brittle. That said, soaking it in Hydrogen Peroxide WILL NOT weaken the plastic, it's already been proven with actual facts.
>>
>>3706094
This dude is obviously all thumbs. Dualshock controllers are fucking piss easy, just like every other controller.
>>
File: master system.png (163KB, 450x328px) Image search: [Google]
master system.png
163KB, 450x328px
I'm asking this here because people will have an autistic shitfit if i start a new thread entirely dedicated to it but does anyone know if the Australian PAL sega master system had RF sheilding on it? I found an old sega master system a while ago and i opened it up to give it a good cleandown and there was no RF shielding on it so i don't know if it's a dud or if that's just how they were in Australia.
>>
File: nles-2-444x550.jpg (71KB, 444x550px) Image search: [Google]
nles-2-444x550.jpg
71KB, 444x550px
So.. i bought an original Nes at the flea market for dirt cheap but the thing isnt turning on, AC adapter is fine since thats what i use to power on my working Nes.

Is there like a manual for what should i check first, and the voltages that i should measure in the circuit?
>>
>>3709192
Is that like a shitty lunch box or something
>>
File: FB_IMG_1476588458722-1.jpg (33KB, 352x410px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1476588458722-1.jpg
33KB, 352x410px
>>3709192
>tfw Mom gives you a PB&J but your Nintendo won't play it
>>
>>3709192
ahhhhhhhhhhhhh i got lucky, the console actually works but the problem is the power switch is fucked, i have to press it really hard for it to register and then the console turned on, if i let it go then console turns off.

Any idea if this could be just a cleaning job or do i have to replace the switch? it looks like just a regular 2 pin switch i could get for $.50 but im not completely sure...
>>
>>3701029
>magic eraser
Do NOT use a magic eraser on textured plastics like the SNES, or if you do, don't go too heavy on it.

They are like a very fine-grit sandpaper, it will polish the texture away if you go too hard. Did this with a snes of mine, I was not happy.
>>
File: 635451.jpg (47KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
635451.jpg
47KB, 1280x960px
I was gifted a Cirka N64 controller and the analog goes from 20% to 100% with very little movement of the stick. Is there a way to adjust the sensitivity? Alternatively, I could probably just solder in a different analog since this one doesn't plug in like a standard N64 analog, but I'd like to see if I can improve this first.
>>
File: n64sys005d.jpg (107KB, 930x593px) Image search: [Google]
n64sys005d.jpg
107KB, 930x593px
Hey guys. I picked up a used Jungle Green N64 a while back, and I've never been able to get it to work. Recently I've felt inclined to try and get it up and running again. It powers on, and the "VIDEO 1" signal goes away as the screen flickers once, telling me it's sending some sort of signal, but I get no video or audio.
I've vigorously cleaned the contacts in all my game cartridges and the expansion pak with q-tips and isopropyl alcohol. I've done the trick where you clean the cartridge reader with a credit card wrapped in an isopropyl alcohol-dipped paper towel. I've tried 4 different S-Video cables, and a few composite too just for good measure. All of those cables work on my SNES and GameCube. I'm testing it on a KV24-FV300 Trinitron, a beautiful SD CRT. Yes, everything else works fine in all of its inputs. I've even tried plugging it into my Bravia, knowing full well how awful that would look if it did work, but still no luck. I know the N64's relatively simple under the hood, so I'm curious as to whether you guys might have any ideas! Also, it's an American model and I've tried two OEM power supplies. I've tried slowly turning the power switch on. I've tried turning it on, and then inserting the power supply. And no, the reset button isn't stuck. These are just solutions I've found online. Nothing has worked thus far.
I've even tried turning the damn thing upside down to keep pressure on the cartridge. I've also tried using a regular jumper pak instead of the expansion pak. I'm out of ideas. I only mentioned it was a Jungle Green model because I know the Funtastic series have a slightly different video output, so I figured maybe there was a problem specific to those models. Any help is greatly appreciated. I just want to play some old games, man.
>>
bumper cars
>>
Happy new year guys. Mine started with my GBA SP battery dying on me. I got it used and didn't even expect it would last a whole year but it did. Thankfully I got a spare off ebay for $2 shortly after I bought it so I'm good. Always keep replacement parts around. Hope all your shit works just fine in 2017.
>>
>>3710381
I have a drawer full of all sorts of batteries for exactly this reason. $2 is a good price but I think after shipping it wouldn't look so cheap.
If all our shit works fine in 2017 we won't need any repair thread. It'll be full of hipster shit. I'm not hoping for another epic "i got a vectrex and i'm gonna fuck it up as much as i can" set of threads ... yeah. I am.
>>
>>3710432
It was shipped from China for free. Took a long time to get here but it wasn't immediately needed so that's alright.
>>
>>3710147
Some carts fail with ISO and need the power of BRASSO. Also, the N64 will play dead if the cart can't be read -or- the jumper/expansion pack is duff. Reseat the pack too and clean the cart gooood. N64 is most likely fine.
>>
Stupid question, since there's no /sqt/ on this board:

If consoles are just specialized gaming computers, then why is it acceptable to just shut them off, usually mid-game? There's no shutdown sequence, we just flick the power switch. Isn't that, like, bad?
>>
>>3711337

Couldn't you lose your save if you do this on NES without holding reset?
>>
>>3710826
I've tried this on ALL my carts, and they're clean as fuck. Please advise.
>>
>>3700157
It is indeed copypasta, was here the first time.
Still funny tho.
>>
I've got a CD tray which is sticking a bit. Is it ok to lube the tracks? How about with sewing machine oil?
>>
>>3711414
For real though, I've cleaned all my carts extensively and this happens with all of them. Same goes for the expansion pak.

Anyone? Any ideas?
>>
>>3711728
I'd clean the rails and whatnot with isopropyl alcohol and then use sewing machine oil.
>>
File: download.jpg (8KB, 278x181px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
8KB, 278x181px
>>3710147
>>
Why are Sega Genesis Model 1 ac adapters so fucking expensive? Also controllers? I scored a pre-TMSS one cheap but trying to find stuff for it that isn't third party is a pain in the ass. I'm seriously considering just buying another Genesis that comes with these things and selling it without them.
>>
>>3706094
Dualshock 3's can be a pain in the ass to reassemble.

I've had a good side career as a vr repair guy, mostly jamma+, gambling cabs and pinball. Ask me anything
>>
>>3715150
>Ask me anything
Alright, I will!
What can be done when the rubber pads in a controller have torn, or become brittle, or don't spring back the way they used to?
>>
>>3700152
I once got a Mastersystem II donated by a woman who breeds Ferrets.
The thing had a strong urine odor.
Opening up the system there was hair all over the system-board and the bottom half of the case. Also a big urine stain on the board. The urine smell made me puke (I made the toilet). Put a mouth-cap on, unscrewed everything and threw it in a container with water and dish soap.
Rinsed it with a soft brush and let it dry for a week.
Put it back together and it still worked.

Too bad it's RF only.
>>
>>3715239
I found one in good shape at Goodwill. Didn't want it, took it to local retro shop. They gave me $7 for it. All in all an uninteresting story. But now that's several seconds of time that neither of us will get back. So there's that. You're welcome.
>>
>>3715172
You buy replacements for like $3 online
>>
>>3715172
Fuck all, if they are just making poor contact you can rub a graphite pencil on the contacts, is only a temporary fix
>>
File: Screenshot_20170104-011411.png (1MB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170104-011411.png
1MB, 1080x1920px
I know this isn't strictly retro (apart from the fact I want it for GB/GBC games only) but can anyone here tell if this might be an AGS-101?

Don't want to ask the seller as it's cheap and I'd rather it stayed that way.
>>
>>3715875
Ags 101 only had a specific run of colours so thats usually an easy way to tell. But anyways since the bottom left of the screen looks to have some washed out lighting, I'd imagine its probably the front lit older model.
>>
File: images.jpg (9KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
9KB, 275x183px
>>3715910
Pretty sure there were purple ones. Might pick it up on the off-chance as it's so reasonably priced.

Thanks anon!
>>
>>3715927
I think the one he posted is blue, and the photo is just lit weird.

>Inb4 the dress was white & gold / blue & black it was white & gold
>>
>>3700152
What kind of gameshop do you run anon? I've been thinking about doing something similar.
>>
>>3716105
It's stale pasta.
>>
>>3716114
Oh, thats unfortunate.
Still, I would love to hear from someone with actual experience on this.
>>
>>3711337
Most of the reason for shutdown on actual computers is the use of writable filesystems. Interrupting a read doesn't harm anything, but interrupting a write could corrupt the filesystem.

Game consoles only need to write data when saving, so for reliability they do the entire "save" write in one go (simultaneously showing a warning) and then they effectively "turn off" the writable filesystem for the rest of the time.

It would be silly for actual computers to use the console strategy, because they have to write data much more often - so often, in fact, that the operating system waits and makes a batch of smaller writes before actually writing to the disk. So, the main part of the shutdown process is writing any unfinished batches.
>>
>>3716105
>>3716149
It's not a pasta. I told my story in a different thread about 6 months ago, and that's about it. I run a used game/movie store. What do you want to know?
>>
Can't put a picture now but I hqve a problem with a snes. Awhile ago I was able to purchase a snes for $7 at a flea market.mIt works and plays fine but has buggy graphical glitches. The graphical glitches range from game to game. On simpler things like earthbound its pretty rare but on something more technical like yoshi's island it can't gp a second without a fucked up picture. I never have tried console restoring but I tried cleaning the contact pins of the systems with a cut pokemon card and cleaning alcohol, did nothing. Any advice? Will upload a picture later of yoshi's island.
>>
>>3717669
More than likely leaky capacitors. They're pretty simple to replace.
>>
>>3717671
Sorry but as I said I've never repaired a console before so please excuse my ignorance. Would that be a part I buy? How difficult of a process would it be to fix it? I have a 3.8 mm gamebit in the mail which I think the snes uses so when it comes I could try that.
>>
File: gold frieza.png (1MB, 817x1280px) Image search: [Google]
gold frieza.png
1MB, 817x1280px
>>3695338

>not liking gold SNES
>>
File: caps.jpg (30KB, 370x310px) Image search: [Google]
caps.jpg
30KB, 370x310px
>>3717681
They're electrical components on the motherboard that store electricity and assist in making sure each part of the system is getting as much as it needs. However, these are the most likely part of electronics (not the mechanical parts, like gears, belts or springs) to fail over time with no fault of the owner.

However, they're quite easy to replace. They're just two points of solder on the bottom of the motherboard. Desolder any leaky or ballooning capacitors and replace them, and that'll fix any glitches you're having.

Soldering isn't hard, just think of it as metal hot glue. Get yourself some desolder wick, a soldering iron, some solder, and the replacement caps. it only takes a few minutes.

If you're nervous about soldering your system break open a junk piece of electronics and practice removing and replacing components until you feel comfortable working on your SNES.

Pic releated, it's what to look for on your SNES's capacitors.
>>
>>3695338
Anybody have knowledge about arcade monitors?
Specifically the Wells Gardner 25k7191 model and 25k7193. I want to switch the monitor board between the two but I want to know if that's possible without destroying anything.
>>
File: box_3m_silicone_lubricant.jpg (26KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
box_3m_silicone_lubricant.jpg
26KB, 500x500px
>>3706094

no. fucking A. stop

>>3711728

THIS is lubricant for plastic & rubber. Its silicone. WD40 should only be used on metals. wd40 not a wonder drug-lubricant. it was back in the 60s, when everything was metal, but you want silicone for plastics/rubbers.

>>3706306
this anon gets it
>>
>>3717591
I've seen that same thing pasted verbatim. Quit your bullshit.
>>
>>3713081
So no one knows what's wrong with my N64? :(

For what it's worth, I've tried cleaning the shit out of the expansion pack in an effort to try to clean the slot too, to no avail. I can confirm that when I turn it on, the screen flashes white for a split second, and the "VIDEO 1" text on my TV obviously goes from 480i to 240p, and then goes away like it's detected a signal, but the screen is still black. I'm honestly totally baffled here. I even tried using composite instead of S-Video as a frustrated hail Mary. Obviously that did nothing. I've long been under the impression that 64s are nigh indestructible, and this one is otherwise in good shape. I just don't understand.
>>
>>3718546
This may be a stupid question, but have you tried cleaning the video out?
>>
>>3706306
>>3718491
Thanks for the good advice.
>>
>>3718595
Yarp. But I'm not sure how well I did that. I don't really know how to get in there and clean anything out that I might not be able to see. I don't want to just jam a pocket knife in there like some sort of goober.
>>
>>3719087
Qtip + isopropyl alcohol if it will fit. Also electrical contact cleaner could be a good way to go, and you can you spray that and plug in the cable/remove (rinse&repeat several times) and that would loosen up any crud on there.

A old toothbrush is also pretty handy, but I'm not sure if it would reach way back in this case.
>>
Is my N64 dead?
I turn it on and it boots up a game perfectly fine, then after about 10-15 seconds the screen gets very fuzzy and cuts out. If I try to turn it back on it starts up and cuts out more quickly. If I wait a while to turn it on again, it starts up, then 10-15 seconds cuts out again.
-I took it apart and cleaned most everything even the expansion port.
any help would be awesome thanks
>>
File: vr pic.jpg (829KB, 2448x1624px) Image search: [Google]
vr pic.jpg
829KB, 2448x1624px
>>3718531
Believe whatever you want, friendo. Sorry about the black boxes in the picture, can't have anyone knowing where my store is. Don't want the dozen calls asking if I have Battletoads. I don't
>>
>>3719307
Try using a different Jumper/expansion Pak. Could be faulty.
>>
>>3719449
I tried 3 different Paks[that I know are good], still no go.
>>
>>3719715
Any chance you could post a video of what happens?
>>
>>3703545
Is it trying to display in NTSC?
>>
>>3719254
Addendum to my last post. It may be worth reflowing the solder joints for the video out.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuEBKV6T5aU
>>
https://kakakumag.com/hobby/?id=9564&cid=all_fb_kakaku
>>
File: NES.jpg (22KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
NES.jpg
22KB, 500x500px
Brought out my old NES. Games worked rarely. So I bought a new pin connector. Same result. Bent/boiled pins. Same result. Removed lockout chip. Same result - just a blue screen.

I have like 30 games and I've cleaned some of them so I know it's not their fault. Am I out of luck?
>>
>>3720543
Capacitors may be going bad considering the age. Can you post pictures of the inside of it?
>>
File: IMG_1826.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1826.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>3720640
Sure, here you go. 1/2
>>
File: IMG_1827.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1827.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>3720640
>>3720730
2/2

I meant white screen in my original post, btw.

I cleaned and tested 10 of my games and i found that if I fiddle with them when they're in the connector, I can eventually get the games to run, but it takes 15 minutes for them to finally do so.
>>
>>3720640
Alright new update haha. I've been fumbling around with the 32 pin connector and I decided to not push it in 100% into the motherboard. Games work a lot more reliably now.

Here's the thing. If I can get Super Mario Bros or Punch Out up and running at first try, but Zelda II or Q Bert take a couple minutes, does that mean the console is okay and it is the games that are causing the issue? Perhaps I should get some Brasso and really try hard to clean them as opposed to q tipping them with 91% isopropyl.
>>
>>3720834
Maybe someone else will join in, but iso alcohol + qtip has always worked for me, I had to usually do a few passes, but it worked. You can try your idea as well obviously, but another solution may be electrical contact cleaner.

I wouldn't mind someone else jumping in because I mostly tinker with audio equipment and laser based consoles, but I have to believe with how old the NES is now that the electrolytic capacitors are worth replacing for peace of mind.
Thread posts: 127
Thread images: 27

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.