[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you prefer turn based combat in RPG? Or do you like systems

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 1

File: 1468277755938.jpg (5KB, 168x220px)
1468277755938.jpg
5KB, 168x220px
Do you prefer turn based combat in RPG? Or do you like systems like ATB, RTWP etc.?
>>
>>3685758
You posted my favorite system; press turn.

But I prefer turn-based
>>
TB, but I thought ATB was also considered TB?
anway I prefer them becuase they usually spice their battle systems with some gimmicks
>>
Tales of Destiny has a great battle system.
>>
I prefer real time combat where you can pause to issue commands, like in Neverwinter Nights or Mass Effect. But since so few /vr/ games do this, for the sake of this argument let's go with turn based. But I can't stand turn based without heavy class customization or something similar for strategy beyond 'press A to win'
>>
ATB's my favorite, unless the RPG has really good realtime combat, like some of the newer Tales games (mainly Graces and Xillia 1/2).
>>
>>3685758
Turn based.

I don't know why they dropped this system. I may be wrong but it's rare see a game nowadays that uses turn based combat.
>>
>>3685992
There are quite a few recent games that use turn-based combat, but about 90% of them are dungeon crawlers (and not very good ones, at that).
>>
>>3685758
I like the press turn system. ATB is a retarded system that goes against the whole point of having a turn based system in the first place, which to me is giving the player a chance to consider ALL possibilities and give the situation proper analysis. ATB removes that chance in the name of urgency, but all it really achieves is ruining the best parts of proper real time and turn-based combat.
>>
>>3686003
I prefer ATB to more traditional turn-based combat because the character's speed has more influence on how battles play out.

In a game where you select your entire party's actions each turn, the turn order is either determined by your party order or by the characters' Speed / Agility / whatever, but they're never given more turns (possibly extra hits per attack, though).

Whereas in an ATB game, the gauge fills more quickly for faster characters, giving them more turns than the others. I like how the Grandia games handle combat, too, as well as games where the entire turn order is laid out for you (I can't think of any retro examples, but similar to what the Atelier Iris games do in battle).
>>
>>3686009
Good point about speed having more of a role in ATB games. I think that factors in to why i prefer press turns to linear turn-based systems as well. Speed matters with press turns because the characters with higher speed gets to go first, and sometimes more often.
They then get the chance to influence the whole tide of the fight by either gaining more turns or removing them from the enemy before they can move.

I don't think that system is relevant to retro games though, as it was first introduced in a ps2 game as far as i know.
>>
>>3686009
The majority of ATB games don't work that way.
>>
Bump combat
>>
>>3686087
Press turn system is pretty good. I also like how you can pass turns to give someone else another turn, since passing only uses half a turn.

>>3686316
Honestly, I'm having trouble thinking of an ATB game that doesn't. There are some games where Speed doesn't have a huge influence on the number of turns you get unless your Speed is super high, but I can't think of any I've played where it just straight-up doesn't work that way.
>>
>>3686490
FFVI-IX all make speed a shit stat for anything other than getting your turn first because ATB charging doesn't stop during animations. High speed just means you're going to get stuck in the bottom of the queue over and over while slower characters get in right behind you every time. It's even worse in VII and VIII because limits go at the top of the queue.
>>
>>3685758 Tales of Phantasia had a 2d action system, guarding in real time at critical moments is life or death on harder difficulties. Your spells would stop all battle action however, this cuts in actual gameplay but also makes battles easier due to freezing enemies.

>>3685803 why did this never catch on? action rpg are all the rage today and tales games were really obscure until Tales of Symphonia for GC.
>>
>>3685758
Turn-based and especially WEGO style turn-based. ATB is dogshit and RTWP only works well in strategy games.
>>
>>3685758
Honestly I'll take anything if the game is fun.
I suppose if I had to choose I'd rather things move as fast as possible, but that doesn't mean I'll pass up a game for using turns or anything - that'd be dumb of me.
>>
>>3688445
Because aside from two or three exceptions, the Tales series is shit. At least in the west. They don't usually localize the good games.
>>
>>3690112
>They don't usually localize the good games.

this is the impression I got as well
destiny 2 and rebirth seem more interesting to me than most tales games
>>
>>3686009
>Grandia games
Take Grandia Xtremes combat, Apply it to every RPG. Easy.
>>
X-2 Style
>>
>>3690287
Shit?
>>
>>3690312
>X-2 battle system
>Shit
>>
>>3690330
You said x-2 style. X-2's combat was marred by the fact that it was simple, brainless, and broken within your first 4 hours of play.

But even if we overlooked that the system itself is only different in that actions happen concurrently and so people equate "faster" to "better"
>>
>>3690330
>>3690287
>>3690312
>>3690331
What does Rockman X2 have to do with RPG combat?
>>
>>3685758
I want to like turn based combat, but most RPGs I've tried that use it have been brain-dead simple (and often quite slow, making it even more boring) and I always give up after about 10 hours of "choose the attack command and heal occasionally". SMT's press turn is great though.

Also, I consider ATB to be turn based.
>>
Turn based that just moves along quickly. Suikoden does this pretty well (even if the game is just too damn easy for it's own good outside of that one iconic boss fight in 2)

Not sure if /vr/ but the Megaman Battle Network games have the most enjoyable variation on card RPG-type combat I've ever seen in a video game.
>>
Press Turn is the only good turn based system I've seen in a JRPG. Final Fantasy/Dragon Quest don't require strategy, and I've never heard a convincing argument otherwise. At least Press Turn is satisfying.
>>
if it's deep enough, surely TB. if it's shallow attack and heal like in majority of jrpg, then realtime.
>>
Press Turn. It's not retro, but Fate/Extra's system is great for boss battles, and provides a great way to tie story progression into gameplay.

>>3687861
What about FFIX?
>Equip Auto-Haste
>Equip Auto-Regen
>Boss reduces party to 1 HP
>Don't bother healing
>Boss follows up with another attack
>Spell animation takes so long that the party is back at full HP before it hits (unless it's a 9999 Meteor because the RNG hates you)
>>
>>3685758
I prefer action-oriented RPGs, but if the game is going to be system-heavy it might as well be fully turn-based over things like ATB.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.