[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I was playing pic related and about halfway I was done. I love

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 5

File: images.jpg (18KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
18KB, 275x183px
I was playing pic related and about halfway I was done. I love the music, the designs, the characters, the exploration, but I can't stand random battles anymore.

I know it's a long shot, but isnt there any romhack that adds an option to temporarily disable random battles like the ugly modern ports of later FF have? Or an emulator where I can switch on and off a no battles gameshark with a hotkey?
If it's possibly, damn, I'd play every major jrpg I've skipped.
>>
>>3680980
Turning on/off gameshark codes has been a feature forever.
>>
>>3680986
With a hotkey? Which emulator(s)?
Oh I tried doing it in Retroarch (menu I can access from the joystick at least) but the cheats never worked for me in any gba core
>>
It's possible, technically there's a threat value that increases with every step you take, all you'd need to do is find that variable with ram searches and freeze it with a gameshark code.
>>
>>3680980
If you hate random battles why are you playing JRPGs? Honestly.

That's the core element of the gameplay, so you're basically saying

>I want to play this genre
>but I don't want to deal with the game itself

Lets plays are a thing. Maybe you'd like to watch those.

Or play the Mobile FF7 release, that lets you turn off random battles and have infinite limits and shit.
>>
>>3680991
You can do it in VBA. There's no default hotkey for it since you have to assign it manually yourself though.
>>
>>3681003
http://www.mediafire.com/file/0uq5xgozq70q1d7/Game_Boy_Advance_Cheat_Lists.rar
also you can load the cheat list for the game in VBA with this instead of putting in the cheats manually.
>>
>>3681018
That's gonna be very useful, thank you so much!
>>
>>3680998
You know that there are JRPGs with visible enemies instead of BS random encounters, right ?
>>
>>3681026
crono trigger
lufia
>>
>>3680980
You can set up cheats so that they enable in game.
Set it up so you push Up + Select to enable then Down + Select to disable

Shit game by the way. Go play Suikoden 2
>>
>>3681030
Romancing Saga, Mystic Ark, 7th Saga, Live a Live.
>>
>>3681038
Faggot
>>
>>3680980
wich version is that?
>>
>>3681235
Gameboy Advance.
>>
>>3681030
>>3681041
Yeah, I've played most of those already. I really that system (othera that come to mind Digimon World, Mario RPG...), avoiding battles becomes a game by itself.

>>3680998
As I said, I like the exploration, and in most cases, I like the characters and fantasy plots. In FF's case, I specially like the music. I love the battle system also, I just dont like repeating the same long battle over and over again without being able to do anything about it. As I mentioned, I really like the ones with visible encounters.

Thanks for the suggestions btw, I just wish those mobile ports weren't so ugly.
>>
>>3681235
GBA. I used that as an example because it's the one I'm already halfway through (on a GBA flashcart, but I'm moving to emulators to try the gameshark hotkey thing)
>>
>>3680980
Use a cheat to max your levels then kill everything in 1 hit
>>
File: jpg[1].jpg (35KB, 300x200px) Image search: [Google]
jpg[1].jpg
35KB, 300x200px
>>3681308
You should try the gba release of FF II, in my opinion the retro FF with the best characters/plot. And combat is not that hard actually.

Once i thought the same. Maybe, be able to avoid combats if you have defeated that kind of encounter before.
>>
>>3680980
FFIV has the easiest fleeing in the entire series. Quit bitching.
>>
>>3681419
Thanks for the suggestion, I actually played I&II before this, finished I and played the first couples of hour of II. I skipped to IV because I've heard great things about it all my life, and I liked it a lot too (just give me infinite repelers and it'd be perfect)
>>
File: gordon2[1].png (3KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
gordon2[1].png
3KB, 256x224px
>>3681609
It is logical most prefer IV to II. IV has the kind of 'anime' caricature which attracts a wider audience. Also, the nes release is not really welcomed. I like IV, but i thought II had more realistic characters, maybe they felt different.
>>
>>3680998
ITS ALL ABOUT THE GRIND GUYS
>>
>>3680980

If you know your shit you can run from pretty much every nonessential battle in FFIV without consequence. The only required grind is probably to have Rosa learn Float for the Feymarch/Land of Summons. The only other optional grind is maybe to get Rydia enough HP to not immediately die fighting Zeromus.
>>
>>3681685
II has such a rad fucking leveling system but without prior knowledge of how it works it's counter intuitive as all fuck, and you just get mad and inputspam to cheat.
>>
>>3682124
You don't need to grind for Float, you just need to be willing to spend money and MP to deal with the consequences.
>>
File: 09ba90f7e0654d64b54049063199ae57.jpg (207KB, 736x1155px) Image search: [Google]
09ba90f7e0654d64b54049063199ae57.jpg
207KB, 736x1155px
>>3681609
>>3681685
IV has no 'anime' caricature, the character designs were still made by Yoshitaka Amano back then. It's when FF7 started being developed and Tetsuya Nomura had to replace him that it all started going downhill.

The reason IV became popular is because the ATB system made battles more dynamic and the story became much more focused on character development than previous FFs.
>>
>>3682262
True enough. I think that run of FF4 was the first time I actively used all the items the game tossed at me instead of hoarding them forever.
>>
File: 1448145794839.png (2KB, 592x672px) Image search: [Google]
1448145794839.png
2KB, 592x672px
>>3680980
Don't force yourself to play if you don't like FF random battles. They are not for everyone.

I still hate them but i hate them less after playing SMT.
>>
>>3680980

> but I can't stand random battles anymore

I love turn based random battles. And i hate action RPGs.
>>
>>3685003
If random battles were the most important part I wonder why they didn't just make the game a collection of battles instead.
>>
>>3685012

Play Lufia 2, its like a mix of zelda and dragon quest.
>>
>>3680980
The PSP version is supposed to be easier and have a ridiculously low encounter rate. Graphics and music get a huge boost in quality too.

You can't avoid random battles. Is the battle system just boring for you or something? There's JRPGs with better ones that you can try, hell, FFIV 3D might be more fun if the core gameplay is just too bland for you.
>>
random battles never bothered me in ATB FFs because escaping is so fucking easy in them
the run option in most other straight turn based RPGs is a gamble usually not worth attempting, so random battles in those games can get pretty exhausting
I like the feeling of surprise that random battles give me when I see a new enemy, but looking for a specific enemy for a specific item can get soul crushing
wild arms 2 and shadow madness had the right idea by giving you the option to skip battles with a QTE tbqh
>>
>>3685163
Persona 3 also did it right by having weaker enemies on the map run like bitches, Neptunia did it better by instakilling enemies you attack on the map, Earthbound did it best by completely bypassing the encounter because it was of such trivial difficulty
>>
>>3685171
those are all good solutions for games that have enemies visible on the map
I used WA2 and SM as examples because they had random encounters
>>
>>3685163
Escaping in FF6 is a gigantic pain in the ass.
>>
>>3685495
ah yeah, they fucked it up in that one by making your characters flee individually
still easier to escape than in most rpgs of the time
>>
>>3685145
As I said, I like the battles, I just don't like repeating the same exact battle dozens of times while trying to explore a map. Gets in the way of the fun of exploring.

My ideal situation would be either visible, avoidable encounters, like Chrono Trigger, or drastically lowering the encounter rate of battles you've already done a few times.

Yet another clarification for all the "how dare you not like jrpgs, go play something else then" comments, it's not a "I hate what I'm playing" situation. I like most of it, so I was looking for a way to change the one thing that would make them more enjoyable for me.

As for the gameshark situation, well I found a tool to patch cheats to the rom, adding a hotkey to enable/disable even (GBAATM http://gamehacking.org/vb/threads/13090-GBAATM-By-Cracker ). However, I haven't found a single "no random encounters" code that actually works... So I guess I'll just give up and finish the game just finish it normally for now. As you said, the flee chance is rather high so it's not as bad as in other games.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.