[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What was it about this game that they failed to capture

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 4

File: Yoshi's Island.gif (10KB, 256x223px) Image search: [Google]
Yoshi's Island.gif
10KB, 256x223px
What was it about this game that they failed to capture in the sequels?
>>
Interesting question.

For one, till only recently, Nintendo couldn't be bothered to do it themselves and gave it to some mediocre developer.
Second, they only shoved gimmicks in, which at best didn't add much and at worst made it less enjoyable.
>>
>>3678268
Yoshi's Island DS is an excellent sequel.
>>
>>3678268
They didn't accomplish it being fun. Not having the game be outsourced to some freaky ass company couldn't have hurt, either.
>>
Such comfy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7bmXBT22PI
>>
I haven't played the sequels, but I personally think YI is a bit overrated.

The castle levels were total shit, and being on Yoshi the whole time instead of Yoshi being a bonus find kind of destroyed the novelty of Yoshi for me.
>>
>>3678268
I played New Yoshi Island because it came free with my 3ds, but holy hell is this game boring, it's literally just the original Yoshi Island (every level thematic is repeated) with a new gimmick here and there occasionally. Total rehash.

The game also is more easier, World 1 is tutorial tier (which's ok), but then W2~5 is basically the same in terms of difficulty, you don't really feel a progression at all, suddenly the last world (6) finally throws a decent challenge (at least compared to the rest of the game, it was pretty surpring) that should've started one world or two sooner.

Responding the question itself, I think that the charm of the original was the fact that it was a new concept, it felt fresh and interesting at the time, I can imagine a kid having lots of fun with New Yoshi Island if they never played the original, the problem with this series is that if you played one game you basically played them all.
>>
>>3678324
>>The castle levels were total shit
>It's not easy and straightforward, so it's shit
No need to blame the game for you incompetence.
>>
>>3678324
>and being on Yoshi the whole time instead of Yoshi being a bonus
>tfw you realize you're controlling baby Mario mind controlling Yoshi all along.
>>
What I find strange is that the levels they made for the GBA port are among the best in the game, but the sequels never could do anything nearly as good
>>
>>3678342
I think it's because the sequels were handed off to those shitdevs at artoon. Except for Yoshi's Story, not sure what Nintendo's angle was for that one.
>>
>>3678324
Being this defective
>>
>>3678268
Damn how come the graphics on story got worse?
Island had amazing visuals
>>
I can't stand it. It was a huge disappointment.
>>
>>3678385

Because the N64 was not a good place for 2D. Everything was too blurry and jaggy. Not to mention all the characters had to be made of circles and ovals for no reason. I'll seriously never forgive this game for fucking up Yoshi's design.

I will say it's a decent game if you actually take the game's challenge of finding all 30 melons in every level.
>>
>>3678439
>Because the N64 was not a good place for 2D

You need to play Wonder Project J2

>Everything was too blurry and jaggy

Use a CRT to play SD games. Also, if it's blurry, it's not jaggy. That's the whole point of anti-aliasing.
>>
>>3678357
>>3678279
>>3678291
> Nintendo couldn't be bothered to do it themselves and gave it to some mediocre developer.
> Not having the game be outsourced to some freaky ass company couldn't have hurt, either.
> I think it's because the sequels were handed off to those shitdevs at artoon.
Yes, yes and yes. Fuck Nintendo for ruining my favorite franchise by outsourcing it. This and Wario Land with it.
>>
>>3678268
I think you mean what did Yoshi's Island fail to capture from its predecessors?

Honestly the YI series was always naff.
>>
File: secretmessage.png (16KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
secretmessage.png
16KB, 320x240px
Sequels 95% of the time are made by imitators, not the original talent that made a game possible.
>>
File: Bangaioh N64.webm (3MB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Bangaioh N64.webm
3MB, 640x480px
>>3678439
>>3678518
>>
>>3678268
Nintendo is capable of doing it justice. See: Yoshi's Woolly World. It was headed by Takashi Tezuka and Good Feel. Basically, don't ship out your IP to fucking shitastic devs like >>3678279 says.

Artoon was so fucking shit they dissolved and renamed themselves to Arzest. Soon they will dissolve again and name themselves Arshit. Seriously.
>>
>>3679035
That game looks annoying and hard.
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (142KB, 1662x918px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
142KB, 1662x918px
>>3678268
>What was it about this game that they failed to capture in the sequels?
>>
>>3679453
its not that hard.
except I couldnt beat the final stage, THAT is hard
>>
>>3679459
one of the only mario games i absolutely hate. no idea how i enjoyed this as a child.
>>
>>3678568
Hi Todd
>>
>>3678268
Your childhood.

Nothing will ever make a game feel like that game you played in your childhood years, even if you try replicating it or emulating it!

Need to go kill myself now.
>>
>>3678268
They gave a stupid voice to yoshi and now this character turn to attract only children and fag. For this reason those games which came after are build to attract only those players.

Not even joking, the first game intended to be original, a sequel to SMW1. It wasn't made to be easy for a target audience despites the fact that art's style was made to be like a child book. I don't think the 1st yoshi game had on purpose to focus on children.
>>
>>3678268

Yoshis Story missed the good soundtrack which is very important for the atmosphere and unique charme.
It also looked a bit too childish imo.
I liked it but even as a kid i beat it in a day or two. As a kid my first impression was like : "wow that was easy" after i finished.
Thats really really bad.

In comparison to Yoshis Island it also lacked in little details and the level variety in general.
Its like making a step backwards with this book. Because in Yoshis Island you had a connection to the island were they live. Levels change logically based on were you are on the island. So its a little world he created and you can think about.
It also had 0 connection to mario in any kind.

I didnt play the wool game
>>
>>3680526
Slightly disagree.
Despite loving DKC as a kid, I ended up thinking Retro's DKC are much better.
My nostalgia can be defeatened, but it's real hard since you have to beat insanely high expectations.

Yoshi's Wooly World is definitely the closest they've gotten to a Yoshi game as good as Yoshi's Island. I think the biggest fault is the boss is nowhere near as bitching as baby bowser fight in YI
>>
I always thought YI DS and YS were great. I'm currently playing Wooly World, and I'm liking it so far.
>>
>>3679838
You were lied to as a kid. You didn't understand a concept so otherwordly such as "business" so you just lapped up whatever came across your plate.

Now that you are older and wiser you know the truth, you can seek things out for yourself and really get to the bottom of things. Now you know that it was just a fucking reskin of some random ass Japanese game and that the TRUE sequel to Super Mario Bros. was snatched away from you by those ninnies at Normietendo of America that thought it was too hard to play and didn't want to hurt your pwecious feefees. Now you have disposable income too (I hope) and you can nab yourself a Famicom and import Super Mario Bros. 2 and not the crappy Lost Levels version in All-Stars. "Lost Levels", That's another childhood lie they told you. They made you think it wasn't a sequel but rather something they added in.

Now that you aren't a susceptible little kid you realize the magical world of Nintendo isn't as welcoming as you once thought and you know have to face the harsh truth of reality and its your duty to uncover the veils. Stay woke my friend.
>>
>>3678268
After Yoshi's Island it seems they had a hard time approaching things with a new mindset.
Later iterations weren't nearly as good as the first, and if that's the case then maybe you should stop somewhere.

>>3678528
Are you talking shit about The Shake Dimension?
>>
>fans wanted a sequel or something
>so they shat out Touch & Go as some sort of shitty retelling
>Nobody liked that, so they actually had Artoon make DS
>surprise, that was fucking garbage, so they gave up
>for about 9 years, and then had the SAME FUCKING DEVS make New Island, which is pretty much another sequel which may or may not retcon everything about DS
>>
The controls were also not as good in any of the sequels.
>>
>>3678268
A big factor for me was the music, they changed the more energetic tone from the original to the craddle sleepy time music style that has ruined Yoshi games since Yoshi Story, including Wooly World (so really most of them)
Also Yoshi's sprite was horrendous on the DS sequel and the 3DS one was all around ugly
>>
>>3681345
Hey at least YIDS tried to do something new and different by adding more baby characters with special abilities and a new plot.

Yoshi's New Island is anything but new. It is a straight up rehash. What did it even introduce? Giant screen sized eggs that you shit out? Wow so innovative.
>>
>>3681348
I wish there was a music hack with the original Yoshi Island music for it.
>>
>>3681181
wow
really made me think
>>
>>3678268
The sense of adventure. It was just the yoshis and Mario together to rescue Luigi. But in the DS one at least every damn baby in the Mushroom Kingdom had to join on board and it watered down the experience. Plus it was pretty shitty they only had a purpose in like three stages and then were never needed again. Nothing in the games ever came close to recreating how great the bosses in YI were either. I can't even remember a single boss from the DS one.
>>
>>3679838
Because you weren't bothered about lore.
>>
>>3681186
>Are you talking shit about The Shake Dimension?
No, Master of Disguise
>>
Yoshis new island is seriously one of the worst Nintendo games I've played
>>
>>3681371
The ds game is badly made. The levels are a real chore at times (way too long, too tedious, reliant on mechanics such as hjuge air peddaling etc)
>>
>>3678268
They turned the kicking ragtime soundtrack into weird baby noises I'd expect to hear out of a fisher price crib mobile. I seriously hate the soundtrack to all the Yoshi games except the original.
>>
Rank the Nintendo sidescrollers.

Wario > Metroid > Donkey Kong > Super Mario > Kirby > Yoshi
>>
>>3678268
They watered down the physics and movement mechanics. Subsequent Yoshi Games are all really slow and have no depth.
>>
>>3681710

Wario > Donkey Kong > Super Mario > Yoshi (Island) > Metroid > Kirby > any not /vr/ related sequel and every yoshi after Island
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.