[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So, Double Fine has remastered Grim Fandango and Day of the Tentacle

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

So, Double Fine has remastered Grim Fandango and Day of the Tentacle so far, and is working on Full Throttle. I haven't played the Grim Fandango remaster, but I've heard it's good. And I think the updates to Day of the Tentacle (especially with the option to flip back and forth with playing the original way) were spot on.

What other 90s point-and-click games would you like to see remastered? Assuming it's always done in a way that shows so much love for the original.
>>
>>3676374
>I haven't played the Grim Fandango remaster, but I've heard it's good
Funny, I've heard the exact opposite.
>>
>>3676376
Fair enough. I'd honestly not heard much about it. Just a couple people I know thought it was solid.

The DotT update is great, though, and playing what feels like the original but in widescreen with hand-drawn art and nice music and everything is great.
>>
>>3676374
No one fucking cares.
>>
>>3676403
Never heard of that one. Though I'm not surprised it remained pretty obscure, with the word "fucking" in the title.
>>
>>3676374
I'd say Broken Sword 1&2 but their idea of a remaster was porting it to mobile and adding speech portraits.

Monkey island needs a re-remaster, preferably not done by a Korean out the back of a takeaway stand.
>>
>>3676374
The point n click and xpad controls for grim fandango are nice, there's also developer commentary which makes playing through it again kind of neat.

Day of the tentacle remaster is just a fundraiser
>>
File: GuybrushBumper.jpg (98KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
GuybrushBumper.jpg
98KB, 500x375px
>>3676374
>What other 90s point-and-click games would you like to see remastered?

If they're being done by Doublefine? None. Absolutely none.

Full Throttle Remastered and Day of the Tentacle Remastered are both ugly as sin. Not only that, but those and Grim Fandango are the only Lucas Arts adventures that Tim Schafer was the project lead on, so if he started remastering other people's games to make a quick buck it would be sleazy.

At least with the Monkey Island Special Editions they really did do a lot with the graphics to make them look new, and they added voiceovers which was a big deal. DOT Remastered and FT Remastered are just vector traces of the originals and they really don't look good, not to mention the voice quality is the exact same as in the originals because they couldn't re-record (for multiple reasons) and it and the original master recordings are lost.

If Tim Schafer doesn't care enough about his own games to hire good animators and artists to remake them, then I shudder to think what he would do to a game he has no personal investment in like the Indiana Jones games, Sam & Max or Curse of Monkey Island. Getting rid of the pixels is not all it takes to make an old game look fresh and modern. You have to acount for things like line width and art assets built around low resolutions that won't look good if you simply blow up the resolution and smooth it out.

COMI was made to look like an animated film with the thinnest, cleanest line art that was possible on PCs back then, but if Tim Schafer has his way with it he'll just blow it up and trace over it with thick ugly lines like he did in Full Throttle and Day of the Tentacle.
>>
>>3676374
bump
>>
>>3676616
All this. Double fine is paying twice for double shit.
>>
>>3676376
Its good. I cant even look at the old graphics now.
>>
>>3677068
>Double fine is paying twice for double shit.
Oh, come on. At the very least, Psychonauts is a great game.
>>
>>3677346
Nah, it's a fairly middling platformer with a proto-Reddit sense of humor that was fortunate enough to be evaluated during a complete drought of other competing platform games.
>>
>>3677369
It had great bosses and the gameplay is really tight.

>proto-Reddit sense of humor
I'm not even sure what the fuck this means. What is Reddit's sense of humor like and how did Psychonauts prefigure it?
>>
>>3677375
mundane, "zany" and random. Lots of referential type humor. Making bad puns and pointing it out, that being the joke.

Psychonauts is a pretty mediocre game and it is really hideous.
>>
>>3677385

So proto-reddit is 2000's 4chan then?
>>
>>3676382
>Just a couple people I know thought it was solid.
that just means the game isnt changed, those budides were already fans, and they had their play on their windows 10s

but doesnt change the fact that it was a lazy "remaster" of just traving vector on top on the "3d realistic" raster and turning into a cartoony game.

im not one of those nostalgic for pixelated shit, but this remaster just ruined the visuals
>>
I think Tim Schafer is an SJW faggot and all his games are shit. Avoid this.
>>
>>3678207
>The Secret of Monkey Island is shit
Please leave.
>>
File: star wars racer credits.jpg (146KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
star wars racer credits.jpg
146KB, 1920x1080px
>>3678212
>implying Schafer isn't taking all the credit for a lot of LucasArts games and really is a hack
>>
>>3678212
Schafer didn't make Monkey Island. He was project lead on three games: Day of the Tentacle, Full Throttle and Grim Fandango. He worked on other Lucas Arts games as a low-level worker bee but they are not "his games."
>>
>>3678274
Day of the Tentacle and Full Throttle are fantastic. Grim Fandango is overrated but good.

Regardless, that pretty neatly refutes "all his games are shit."
>>
Loom is interesting, I'd like Loom to get some time in the spotlight.

The Grim Fandango remaster was great, it updated the 3D models and added point-and-click mode, those changes were great.

I liked DotT fine as it was, I'm not sure the visual "update" was necessary," the pixels were fine. No complains about audio updates, though.

The original Full Throttle had a cool story/atmosphere, but I thought the puzzles/gameplay were meh. So same deal as with DotT regarding visuals.
>>
>>3678283
His game's aren't shit. He used to be a great developer. He kind of lost it sometime during Brutal Legend's development, though.
>>
>>3676374

None. Double Fine royally fucked over all of the games they've "Remastered" so far and Full Throttle looks like ass.
>>
>>3676616
They didn't lose the tapes for Day of the Tentacle. On one of the "making of" videos they show one of their sound guys going through all the old tapes and having to match everything up and find the right takes, etc.
>>
>>3680960
Yeah I misspoke. Full Throttle uses the same audio from the original game disc though, from everything I understand. The trailer sounds exactly like the original game, too, and the original had a fuckton of compression. The traced graphics are made all the more jarring when paired with the very low-fi voices and music of the original game.

I actually managed to find an MP3 rip of the Bone to Pick album a few years ago, and a rip is surprisingly hard to come by. Damn thing had a virus in it but I was able to clean it. Once you've heard the music with more modern compression techniques it becomes really obvious just how bad the audio compression was for games back then.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.