[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where did the meme that the Dreamcast was a prototype for the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

File: dreamcast-windows.jpg (96KB, 580x363px) Image search: [Google]
dreamcast-windows.jpg
96KB, 580x363px
Where did the meme that the Dreamcast was a prototype for the Xbox because it has "Windows CE" on the front come from?
>>
I've never heard that meme, but the original xbox was essentially the Dreamcast's successor. It had a large number of exclusive Sega games that would have been on Dreamcast had it not been discontinued.
>>
>>3671683
/v/ thinks Dreamcast was Sega's best system because of Microsoft's involvement.
>>
The Dreamcast was the first foray of Microsoft into console development. If not for the experience they had with the Dreamcast years prior, I doubt the first Xbox would have been released as fast.
Not all games used Windows CE, by the way, just a few. However, what made the Dreamcast easier to program for (there's a ton of homebrew for it) is because it uses DirectX as its video API.
>>
By the way, here's a good read from 1998:
https://news.microsoft.com/1998/05/21/microsoft-sega-collaborate-on-dreamcast-the-ultimate-home-video-game-system/
>>
Because it was and Sega should have just sold off their hardware trademark to Microsoft and gone to work as second party software devs right out of the gate but again, SoJ was just a little too proud to do the smart thing.

Of course Microsoft was pretty proud too so they may never have wanted to put Sega's name on their console even if it would have sold better.
>>
File: itsabait.png (18KB, 927x885px) Image search: [Google]
itsabait.png
18KB, 927x885px
>>3671778
>Microsoft
>better than Sega
>>
>>3671782
I didn't say that at all - defensive much? Microsoft is just a larger company that could force its way into the industry and decided to do it at an opportune moment when
Sega left something of a vacuum
>>
>>3671676
It wasn't a prototype, but Microsoft's goal with that Windows CE branding was to learn the console market for the later xbox launch. In that sense, it was a prototype of it.

Also they wanted to make the Xbox backwards compatible with the Dreamcast at one point, but it was cost prohibitive (they already sold the machine at a $100 loss per unit).

>>3671695
>/v/ thinks Dreamcast was Sega's best system because of Microsoft's involvement.

Most of the posters at /v/ wer born after Sega quit the console business, so they wouldn't know.
>>
>>3671676
>because it has "Windows CE" on the front
>>
Wow, there were more Windows CE games on DC than I thought.

http://segaretro.org/Windows_CE
>>
>>3671676
Your mom's big tight firm ass.
>>
>>3671676
Multiple reasons.
Sega wanted Xbox to be compatible with Dreamcast games natively.
The dude who made Dreamcast made the 360.
The controller
>>
>>3671935
>The dude who made Dreamcast made the 360.
what
>>
>>3672028
That's a generalization and an extremely broad one at that, but it is true that the US launch and marketing were handled by Peter Moore for both consoles.

Apparently, one time when he was ID'd at the airport, the nigga just told him "I don't need to ID you, you are that asshole who made us unable to play Shenmue 2 on the Dreamcast".
>>
>>3672038
Holy shit. That's rad as hell.
>>
>>3671809
>(they already sold the machine at a $100 loss per unit).

That's a very conservative estimate considering the original Xbox lost them 4 billion dollars.
>>
>>3672038
I thought Bernie Stolar handled all of Dreamcast's advertisements in America?

Peter Moore wasn't hired till like 2001 or so.
>>
>>3671809
I thought I heard that the backwards compatibility thing fell through because it would have been too much work to port online Dreamcast games to Xbox Live.
>>
>>3672038
lel, good thing us yuros got Shenmue 2
>>
>>3671676
From babytards who misunderstood what actually happened.

>>3672668
It was more than just that. Cost and time involved in just doing it were the major issue.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.