[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The retro community seems large enough that a proper retro console

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 2

File: 1480887131876.jpg (102KB, 750x772px) Image search: [Google]
1480887131876.jpg
102KB, 750x772px
The retro community seems large enough that a proper retro console could actually be manufactured now, and actual games could be created for the system and purchased like the old days.

With FPGA's, I don't see why a new 16-bit console hasn't been made in the recent years with new cartridges.
>>
OUYA was such a hit!
>>
>>3670186
Anyone can download an emulator and new homebrew ROMs are being made all the time. For free.
>>
>>3670186
I'd collect it. As long as it were an actual 16 bit machine and not just a cheap Android computer, of course.
>>
Somebody alert Mike Kennedy that a new wave of suckers are ready to hand over cash.
>>
>>3670186
There's no one left to make the games. It would just be indie shit.
>>
>>3670186
That's basically already happened with FPGA NES clones and modern NES development.

>16-bit
Except this part.
>>
>>3670186
>>3670276
This.

FPGA doesn't do 16-bit yet. They've got NES though.
>>
>>3670186
>The retro community seems large enough that a proper retro console could actually be manufactured now

Nope. Not only is it not large, it's completely all over the place because it's dictated by each individual person's particular nostalgia.

You're not actually able to fulfill any significant number of customers' particular tastes.
>>
>>3670186
I don't understand the obsession with fags like you wanting a new retro style system with retro style games. How about just owning a modern console (or PC) and just playing the loads of retro style indie games that come out, and you get the benefit of playing modern games on it too.
>>
>>3670281
>FPGA doesn't do 16-bit yet.
wtf are you talking about, yes they do
>>
>>3670235
just go to comiket every year and pay the japs to make ports and translate them.
>>
>>3670281
http://pgate1.at-ninja.jp/SNES_on_FPGA/
>>
>>3670186
You don't need an underpowered console to play old games. The devs can just release on a modern system.
>>
>>3670186
>I don't see why a new 16-bit console hasn't been made in the recent years with new cartridges.

That's because you're an idiot.
>>
>>3670306
16 bit games wouldn't need a big team for development. Groups of three or four people could gather together and do something decent. They wouldn't even need to meet in real life which makes it a lot easier to find people.
>>
What is the demo scene?
>>
>>3670197
>>3671072
These
What would differentiate this thing from just playing the same game on your pc now? Besides a superfluous cart like ye olde days? no offense
>>
>>3671270
How are they superfluous? They're great for people who enjoy collecting and should come with manuals, posters, etc. which is a culture that's on the verge of its death.

Having an old hardware would impose limitations that'd help keep a certain homogeneity among the games thus creating a unique style to the console. Modern indie games claim to be retro, but they make use of techniques and effects that weren't really common on old (in this case, 16 bit) games. On the development's end, it'd interesting to see how developers would deal with these challenging limitations and what we could get out of it.

If this console managed to maintain at least a minimum supporting fanbase, it could be enough to keep it going for some years.
>>
>>3671301
So get a team together and get to work.
>>
>>3671351
I don't remember mentioning I was a developer.
>>
File: 433546436.gif (595KB, 651x399px) Image search: [Google]
433546436.gif
595KB, 651x399px
>>3671301
>they make use of techniques and effects that weren't really common on old (in this case, 16 bit) games

True, things like pic related look fancy and all but they kill the retro feel.
>>
>>3671359
you sure seem to think you know a lot about development though
>>
>>3671301
Why not just do homebrew instead senpai? Homebrew devs have the exact same limitations as the original programmers. There's already a decent community for NES and SNES brews, and people are already be familiar with the consoles.
>>
>>3670202
Emulation sucks unless you're causally playing games. Input delay kills any good run I have. I have up the poor/emulator life 2 years ago
>>
>>3670556
>doesn't think like I do
Is fag
Ad hom from baby boy
>>
>>3671494
This. There's no reason to produce some new retro platform with comparatively microscopic installed user base when there are already plenty of retro platforms with millions of existing users. Anyone who really wants to develop retro hardware should create new add-on chip standards like MSU-1
>>
>>3671451
All I said about development is just common knowledge.

>>3671494
Playing homebrews aren't as satisfying as having a dedicated console with its own library of collectible games. The console could also potentially attract new developers and the possibly of making money helps too.
>>
>All I said about development is just common knowledge.

No it isn't. The conclusions you've come to are flawed and the fact that you immediately admit you can't do anything should indicate what's flawed about them
>>
>>3671547
0/10
>>
>>3671550
if you think about it longer you might get it
>>
>>3671556
Maybe you should try actually discussing about it ratter than insist on this ">hurr durr everything you said is rong"
>>
>>3671560
Ok

There is literally no reason anybody would spend the money on making a new 16 bit console. Even Brazilian clones they still make today use emulators on generic hardware. Homebrew for existing systems is something dramatically different because that only requires a couple nerds or even just one who want to spend a shitload of time on something for their own pleasure, it's not the same as having a fucking factory making shit.

Also the majority of the retro audience is people looking for nostalgic feelings. New games with new IP = no money. Nobody will care, nobody will want it. The people who have a genuine interest in the technology of old games who would think a new 16 bit console was cool are few and far between.

And lastly, what I was alluding to, even if hypothetically you had the interest and manpower, you do not have the talent. A large scale undertaking like this isn't like an internet homebrew project, like I said. People who are capable of doing the work that it would take to complete something like this can make tons of money elsewhere, or they're interested in their own shit.

I'm really trying not to be mean..
>>
>>3670186
They already exist. Why make an entirely new console when you have several 16 bit consoles already out that you don't have to manufacture or develop.
>>
>>3671572
The retro community got exponentially larger in recent years. The fact that things like Classic NES Mini or retro style games get released all the time shows that a market exists and that means people willing to spend money. People interesting in developing this kind of games exist and you say that in your post. The only thing left is to have a company to create a console and make it possible for these developers to release their games and for people to buy them. Again, nowadays it's hip and cool to buy everything that is retro, you can't deny that.

>Also the majority of the retro audience is people looking for nostalgic feelings. New games with new IP = no money. Nobody will care, nobody will want it. The people who have a genuine interest in the technology of old games who would think a new 16 bit console was cool are few and far between.

Most people? According to what? I can't believe you're simply denying all the millennials that never actually grew up with these consoles, but are still interested in it.

>And lastly, what I was alluding to, even if hypothetically you had the interest and manpower, you do not have the talent. A large scale undertaking like this isn't like an internet homebrew project, like I said. People who are capable of doing the work that it would take to complete something like this can make tons of money elsewhere, or they're interested in their own shit.

This is just plain pessimism with no basis on anything. Your average developer doesn't need to know or care about the console itself. He just needs to provide games which by now aren't any mystery since even your average Joe is capable of developing.
>>
>>3670186

You'd have to sell them in LIMITED SPECIAL EDITION quantities with low print runs, otherwise the games would flop.

Most people just getting into buying old games these days are just in it to follow the fad, get cred, or make money. Take those factors out of the equation and demand would take a significant dip. Not saying they wouldn't be there, but almost assuredly not enough to justify physical releases at profitable retail prices, especially for new IPs.
>>
>>3671520
Homebrew carts are collectable and frequently monetized, and often come with custom boxes and instruction booklets. Besides, I think you'll find that devs who want to make these 'retro' games aren't in it for the money. They'll do it for the same reason people make homebrew: it's just satisfying to make /real/ retro games. And they'll reach a much wider audience with a well-known console.
>>
>>3670186
I don't understand what you want. What do you mean by "retro console"? It uses cartridges? That's kind of... arbitrary. Do you want it to output analog video? That'd be stupid since they don't manufacture CRT televisions anymore.

FPGAs are irrelevant. "Retro consoles" didn't implement their own CPU architectures, all the mainstream ones just used off-the-shelf or stripped down variants of standard CPUs of the time. If they contained any special video or sound hardware/coprocessors they were nothing fancy - you could do more in software on any ARM chip these days then you could on those. I also fail to see how shrinking the sizes of the registers and bus to 16-bit would suddenly make it "retro".

If you want to do retro dev, then just learn to program the NES or something. You have more documentation and tools available for all these consoles now than most developers had access to when the consoles were relevant. You can distribute ROMs and even manufacture carts if you want to.
>>
>>3670186
you mean like tectoy's new mega drives that they're manufacturing?
>>
Developing for limited hardware needs skill, something indie developers will never have.
It's easier to shit out on Steam another indie pixel platform crap using Unreal engine than using assembly code, limited sprites, limited colors and limited storage for a physical media with manufacturing costs.
It's too easy to dev these days. And that's a bad thing.
>>
>>3670186
Its not about playing games for most people its about hoarding for bragging about.
>>
>>3672695
Easier development is not a bad thing.

Talentless hacks that think that easier development means they can put less effort is a bad thing.
>>
>>3671506
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/policemen-who-shot-six-year-8938028

Autism kills , anon. Back to >>>/crt/
>>
>>3671301
>They're great for people who enjoy collecting and should come with manuals, posters, etc. which is a culture that's on the verge of its death.

Good. Fucking shillers.
>>
>>3671301
>They're great for people who enjoy collecting and should come with manuals, posters, etc. which is a culture that's on the verge of its death.

There's a good reason for that.
>>
>>3670186
>retro community seems large enough
this board has threads that last for months, and it's on an internationally famous website

you can't compare Classic NES Mini sales (normies buying a console that plays every NES game ever without cartridges, a total nostalgia cashgrab) with actual interest in retro gaming.

>purchased like the old days.
as someone else said, you'd have to manufacture scarcity in order to add value to these games because otherwise people would just pirate your game like they pirate everything else. This is assuming you wouldn't force developers to learn to code on your console's language just for the sake of it.

Even if you couldn't pirate them, nobody would buy them without playing them first.

The ONLY way this would work is if:

- A major console developer backed it, like with the Classic NES Mini

- A major game developer backed it, that is, if you could get some famous developer with an established fanbase to make a new game for your console

- Whoever put in the money for production didn't care that the project would never turn a profit, ever.

Basically it COULD happen because I guess the Virtual Boy DID happen and the OUYA got made, so yeah, weirder things have 'happened' but none of them survived nor would a project like what you're talking about.

I mean even that Steam console was a flop.
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/06/its-time-to-declare-valves-steam-machines-doa/
>>
If I were a dev studio or publisher why would I bust my ass for a year on a game for a "retro console" platform probably a thousand people will own when I can make the same game for modern PCs and sell it to millions on Steam? Terrible idea OP
>>
>>3670186
>not knowing the market it small
>not knowing fools have tried

>>3671301
>still not knowing the market it small

>>3671520
>not knowing what homebrew is

>>3670281
Top kek kid.
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.