[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This is highly dubious vr. 4Chan doesn't discuss wRPGs as

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 7

File: dw3gbc_005[1].jpg (108KB, 479x436px) Image search: [Google]
dw3gbc_005[1].jpg
108KB, 479x436px
This is highly dubious vr. 4Chan doesn't discuss wRPGs as much as jRPGs. Is this because they are objectively speaking inferior, or is it just a bias towards japanese culture?
>>
If you want to talk about crpgs start a discussion or go to rpg codex
>>
>>3669359
I like both.
>>
File: gokuj.jpg (204KB, 680x1224px) Image search: [Google]
gokuj.jpg
204KB, 680x1224px
>or is it just a bias towards japanese culture?

It's not, as wRPGs are still discussed here, lurk more.
But if you're gonna bitch about japanese culture on a fucking chan, I recommend you read the history of 4chan.
Also, while the founder of 4chan is American, the current owner is japanese (no less than the old admin of 2ch, where moot got the idea).
So basically 4chan is currently a japanese website.
>>
There simply just isn't as much WRPG to discuss as there is JRPG.

But, Wizardry, Ultima, Fallout and Baldur's Gate are all popular here.
>>
Consoles are the focal point of "retro" discussions, which have a lot more Japanese games than Western games, so naturally JRPGs are more discussed.

Also, it's a fucking anime website.
>>
File: 47394_front.jpg (132KB, 640x881px) Image search: [Google]
47394_front.jpg
132KB, 640x881px
Other people just don't play the WRPGs I play and I don't play the WRPGs they play
>>
Wizardry is an important part of Japanese culture.
>>
>>3669428
>Japs can't come up with their own shit so they have to resort to stealing western creations

top kek
>>
Because most people grew up with consoles and not with PCs
>>
>>3669443
Do you have any data to back that up?
>>
>>3669447
No I dont. Its an educated guess.
>>
>>3669449
Also by most people I meant most people that browse 4chan
>>
>>3669440
The website you're posting on was "stolen" from Japan.
>>
>>3669491
Actually, the Web was invented by a Brit, not the Japs.
>>
>>3669383
>the old admin of 2ch, where moot got the idea).
4chanは、日本の有名な「ふたばちゃんねる」の非公式姉妹サイトになることを目的に設立されました。
4chan is a copy of futaba not 2ch
>>
The chan is filled with casuals who play inferior jap games.
>>
>>3669443
Makes sense. PC games in general aren't discussed here as much as console games are.
>>
>>3669360
>>3669360
>go to rpg codex

they won't like you there

>>3669414
What is this Faery Tale Adventure game?
Tell me more!
>>
>>3669359
No it's because wRPGs are way more daunting to a newcomer than jRPGs because the bulk of them were released on computers in the 80s and 90s meaning you're going to have to troubleshoot to get most of them to work and they're not streamlined like most jRPGs are meaning you're gonna have to almost always read a manual before jumping in and reading is for chumps.
>>
>>3669359
JRPG's actually appeal to all gender and age groups. WRPG's appeal to 18-30 year old white guys.

That's about it. JRPG's aren't "better", they just have more broad appeal.
>>
>>3669440
Not stealing; improving.

Is a Bugatti a "ripoff" of the Model T?
>>
>>3670157
>implying there are more than two genders
>>
File: FF vs DQ.jpg (103KB, 540x596px) Image search: [Google]
FF vs DQ.jpg
103KB, 540x596px
Jrpgs are abit more casual and being on consoles (the main source of conversation here) makes them more common to be mentioned and thus talked about.

And before anyone thinks "casual" means bad it doesn't. Let's be honest, jrpgs are easier to absorb and understand.
>>
File: 1460719399001-0.jpg (119KB, 500x650px) Image search: [Google]
1460719399001-0.jpg
119KB, 500x650px
>>3669359
There are a shitton more worthwhile JRPGs out there in the world than there are WRPGs. You must also consider that the two subcategories of games also planted themselves on separate planes of existence, WRPGs were king in the PC realm but home consoles and handhelds were JRPG breeding grounds, and while console versions of WRPGs and PC versions of JRPGs existed you'd be a special case to have experienced both types growing up in the early days of gaming.
>>
>>3670178

reminded me of pic related.
>>
do we have a list of best wrpgs or whatever crpg or whatever for each system?
mostly just jrpgs make the cut.
>>
>>3670105

It's a huge open world game with a map that take fucking forever to cross, and my first experience with something like that.

You have to sleep every nught and eat food or you die, which some people hate but I adored. The game just plops you down with very little direction and is like GO FIND THE NECROMANCER I GUESS, and while you're wandering around you can find all sorts of cool shit like a sea shell that summons a giant turtle and a magic wand that makes you hax.

You have a luck stat, and every time you die it goes down by five. If you run out of luck, your character is dead forever, but you restart as your younger brother who has a different set of base stats. Your levels are reset, but you can get your equipment from your brother's grave. After him there's one more brother and then it's game over.

Music is good and the sense of exploration is fantastic but the combat is COMPLETE FUCKING ASS until you get the magic wand, and then it's still ass despite being mire fun to control because you become basically unstoppable.
>>
>>3670184
What systems do you mean? Most games are going to be either IBM/DOS or IBM/Windows.
A handful of cases will have a better version on Mac, Amiga or Japanese PCs or a modern engine recreation.
>>
>>3669359
>Modern WRPGS are barely even RPGS anymore
>>
>>3670170
You have to go back.
>>
>>3670296
Sounds pretty interesting.
It seems there's a Megadrive port, do you know about it?
>>
>>3670532
Thank Bethesda for that.
Granted, studios like Obsidian Entertainment are still churning out good CRPGs.
>>
>>3670157
>WRPG's appeal to 18-30 year old white guys.
where do you think you are
>>
>>3670654

It's the only version. i've played, to be honest
>>
>>3669359
>do many 4chan regulars have a bias towards japanese culture?

Are you seriously asking this?
>>
>Is this because they are objectively speaking inferior
They're not. Crpgs are filled with trial and error and rng bullshit. They're not even good for stories due to their interactive nature. They're really only good for 40 year old neckbeards to pretend their some shallow character in the game.
>>
The problem aren't console players, it's so called WRPG fans who think old school starts with 1997.
And even threads about games from that period get hijacked by non-retro ones.
>>
>>3669404
This probably holds the biggest portion of truth. PC games beyond a certain popular FPS are usually pushed to the side on /vr/. Console games tend to be a complete, easy to pick up package, and played with a controller, making them more conducive to playing them on a mobile device like a PSP.

At least this is true for myself -- I love playing Fallout, it's one of my all-time favorite RPGs across any era or platform, but I find myself playing it rarely because putting an RPG from the PSX or earlier era on a handheld is very easy and can be played with a few buttons, while mouse support is required for a lot of PC titles.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.