[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Guys i just got a playstation 1 memery card with, Get this.....

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 11

File: jela.png (235KB, 660x500px) Image search: [Google]
jela.png
235KB, 660x500px
Guys i just got a playstation 1 memery card with, Get this..... 1 WHOLE MB
>>
In modern games you need 1GB for the day one patch. Feel old yet?
>>
>N64 memory pak was only 256kb
No wonder shit like Turok 2 took up nearly the entire thing.
>>
File: yes spongebog I'm feeling it.jpg (84KB, 853x727px) Image search: [Google]
yes spongebog I'm feeling it.jpg
84KB, 853x727px
>>3667467
>Day 1 patches are larger than an entire single disc PS1 game.
Yeah I'm feeling pretty old.
>>
>>3667456
Or 15 whole blocks.
>>
>>3667469
Only third party trash games even used the things, all the first party games had battery saves on cart.
>>
File: bongrip.jpg (40KB, 580x325px) Image search: [Google]
bongrip.jpg
40KB, 580x325px
>>3667456
It's actually 1Mb (128k), not 1MB
>>
>>3667467
>day one patch

Why is this real

Stop taking my storage space with your laziness, goddamn
>>
>>3667525
Developers continue working on a game and fixing shit that did not make it into the build they shipped. They start producing discs weeks before launch and continue working on it until release.

Its more common with AAA games due to tight deadlines and development rushes etc.
>>
File: 1479012092217.jpg (8KB, 250x241px) Image search: [Google]
1479012092217.jpg
8KB, 250x241px
The full ROMset of Atari 2600 including all homebrew, demos, and regional versions is less than 6 megabytes.

The recent game Assassin's Creed Unity requires a 6.7 gigabyte patch to be able to play.
>>
>>3667629
do we blame pc and windows for that?
>>
Like an anon above said, it's 1 Megabit, not 1 Megabyte. 1 Megabit = 128 Kbytes.
There's 15 blocks, and each block takes 8KB. Maybe the last 8KB are reserved?
>>
File: Capture.png (35KB, 389x667px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
35KB, 389x667px
>>3667629

I've got the result of decades of hard work and innovation by hundreds of game development groups and companies stored in a chip the size of my thumb which goes inside a machine the size of my hand that can run them all at full speed. And it took me like 30 minutes to download. Oh, and the microSD still has space for music.
>>
>>3667652
Blame
1) lazy devs, that learn the newest framework of the week but can't do something like inverting a binary tree
2) management that decrees unreal finishing dates
3) games are now made like in a "factory" environment, meaning you have 12 people that just paint textures on stuff, but have zero idea if they're even going to be used in the game

And that's why you have all those cookie-cutter "open world" games of the last 2 years. Factory production.
>>
>>3667653
The last 8Kb are the allocation table to sort/arrange the 15 blocks.
>>
>>3667525
Because the top brass keep screaming "I WANT IT NOW!!!!!" like autistic children.

This shit needs to be punishable by fines.
>>
>>3667525
Because they're able to. With games before the 360 and PS3, you didn't have any storage to install patches with. If your game was fucked when it was pressed to discs, it was done. Doomed. So they HAD to fix these major issues before they could release it or else. Nowadays, they don't have that need.

>Multiplayer is entirely broken? Day 1 patch, don't worry about it. Just keep working.

>this crucial mission NPC doesn't spawn correctly, for anyone? Oh well, just keep working on the graphics. We'll day 1 patch it.

Because now, if people complain that the game is broken, they can just say "did you download the day 1 patch? it fixes that. This is what the internet is for." and claim no responsibility.
>>
>>3667495
hehe you just called Mystical Ninja a trash game
>>
File: 1477482058023.png (171KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1477482058023.png
171KB, 800x600px
>>3667467
Devs and coders are getting lazier
people did amazing things with such minimal resources in the past, now they are lazy and spoiled.
>>
>>3667859
Even back in ye olde days everyone was using cookbooks and copying code examples from books.
There is no reason to make programs as lightweight/fast anymore. Modern computers bulldoze through that shit like it is nothing.
>>
File: 220px-Dexdrive.jpg (9KB, 220x171px) Image search: [Google]
220px-Dexdrive.jpg
9KB, 220x171px
>>3667456
I'm glad I still have my PSX dexdrive.
The system eats memory space.
>>
>>3667993

I have one of these as well, still hooked up to my computer in fact. I just use it to keep backups of my saves in case my cards start to bite the dust.
>>
>>3667812

Retro games did receive revisions. There are only so many copies assigned to each print run. When the next run was prepared, developers would sometimes slip in bug fixes, translation fixes or other changes.

But the reason retro games are more stable is more of a combination of two factors: 1.) They're not nearly as complex to design or code, and 2.) Retro hardware had very constrained memory, which meant that some degree of optimization was needed just to create so much as a test build of the ROM that could run at all.
>>
People acting stupid about small amounts of storage are fucking retarded.

I see kids do this all the time.
>OH MY GOD, LOL... 1 MEGABYTE...

It's just cringeworthy.
>>
>>3667456
Mb* faggot
fuck I hate /vr/
>>
>>3668016
The consumer environment pushes 'bigger/more = better', and kids alive today don't understand what was possible with less than what we have today. Combine that with kids being immature brats most of the time, and the best you can do is pity their ignorance.

(Within reason) having limitations forces you to be innovative, but it's not a popular mindset in a culture where you can throw cash around to have the biggest and baddest thing right now.

>>3667859
>The armpit/keyboard stains
Nice touch.
>>
>>3668121
Maybe if the manufacturers didn't fucking capitalize it, it wouldn't confuse people. Blame them
>>
>>3667495
Rayman 2 is good
>>
>>3668173
Nobody other than LE COMPUTER GEEKS XD knew what the hell a megabit was. Most people thought in terms of megabytes at the time.

And hell, they probably still do today.
>>
>>3667878
One technique people did back then was the extensive use of macros, but even then, not a lot of memory or cycles were wasted. Nowadays you leave two uneeded objects loaded in memory, and the next second the program is leaking memory out of its ass.

It's not like they didn't fuck up back then. It's just that there's a lot more leeway to fuck up NOW, and they don't even bother with it.

One example is the menu of Tales of Phantasia (SNES). It's such an ungodly mess that it is one of the few SNES games that has a "loading" message, and one of the only games ever to have a loading message for its own items!
>>
>>3668359
Holy shit, you're posting on /vr/ and don't know the difference between MB and Mb, fucking kill yourself already.
>>
>>3667495
mario kart 64 used the memory card to save time-trial times and ghosts to it
>>
>>3668417
Isn't Phantasia one of the games to push the console? It has one of the largest SNES carts at 48mb.
>>
>>3667509

A standard card yes.
That's why I am so jealous of OPs card, 120 fucking blocks, goddammit, who needs that many?
>>
>>3667456
Nice looking memery card there.

What kind of memes is it made out of?
>>
>>3667456
but how many blocks is it OP?
>>
>>3667525
>laziness
If they were lazy they'd just ship the day one version and leave it unpatched.
We live in an era where they can continue to work to deliver content up to, and beyond day one.

There are many factors that go into it, hitting release dates set by your publisher (don't even bitch about publishers, they're footing the development costs so they call the shots about when a game comes out and that's pretty reasonable), getting your game certified through Microsoft or Sonys standards department (Gee what if Nintendo had that back in the day instead of some bullshit seal they just sorta slapped on every half playable NES game...) ESRB ratings, etc.

Don't even feign ignorance and claim games shipped bug free back then, or without game breaking bugs (Hello Gran Turismo).

Take off your nostalgia goggles and shove them up your ass, Things were not better back in the day in this regard. Not by a country mile.
>>
>>3668595
If modern patches were freely distributable and easily preservable you'd have a point. As it is they're DRM-encrypted garbage actively hampering game preservation.
>>
>>3668595
>continue to work
Declaring an unfinished game "finished" and and then dribbling the rest of it out in patches over the next year is not something that should be praised.
>>
>>3668543
Yes. They had to compress a ton of stuff, but IIRC, the menu system was bogged down by a ton of slow reads. That's why it sometimes will show "Loading..." when there's a lot of stuff happening and you push start.

Macros were used a lot back in the day, and you can see some spaghetti code is their fault. Like having 15 NOP instructions one after the other, because you don't want to count cycles (this was important back then) and just wanted a way to keep a loop going without having to do complicated calculations.
>>
>>3668595
Things were better back in the day, yes. Gran Turismo 2 had the 98.2% bug? Yes. But nowadays you EXPECT a day 1 patch just to fix completely on-your-face stuff, like the models on Assassin's Creed Unity.
>>
>>3667993
just read up on this gadget for the first time, pretty damn cool
>>
>>3668002
>>3667993
My dream gadget back then was one of these. I had to wait until I had a PS2 to back up the PS1 saves. I had 4 PS1 memory cards by then, 2 of them faulty.
>>
>>3667525
>Doom 4 was 55 GB when I first got it
>It's 82 and a half GB now

Literally why I got a new Hard Drive.
>>
>>3667495
I like my saves not having a life span that can abruptly end any moment.
>>
>>3670427
if you cared enough you'd know how to backup the save data on carts.
>>
>>3670431
Or I'd rather not just jump through hoops and keep them on a simple memory card I can plug into the back of a controller.
>>
>>3670432
memory cards can die too though
>>
>>3667525
Games are sent in for certification and duplication months ahead of the release date. Developers don't want to sit around and do nothing so they keep working on the game and deliver the further work as a day one patch, that or they start pre-production on any DLC.
>>
>>3670427
NES, SNES and Game Boy games had to use save batteries, but most N64 games use EEPROM chips to save data. Open up almost any cart that has save data and you'll see there's no battery.

Now, a few N64 games did use save batteries, but I can name those on one hand.
>>
>>3668571
>who needs that many
A-Train
>>
>>3668606
I would rather DRM than cartridges and discs that can be lost and degrade. You also can't update one of those if you get a bugged version
>>
EIGHT
FUCKING
BLOCKS
>>
File: SLES-01760-B-2.jpg (309KB, 978x736px) Image search: [Google]
SLES-01760-B-2.jpg
309KB, 978x736px
>>3671210
That's adorable.
>>
>>3669315
>I had 4 PS1 memory cards by then, 2 of them faulty.
Were the faulty ones third party?
>>
>>3667456
I bought one of these from a pawn shop for a dollar
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Massive-Memory-Card-720-Playstation-1-PS1/162309620998?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D38530%26meid%3D750a487cd2c34ecc97a0777c21e017ed%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D231190424319
>>
File: alsofire.png (514KB, 628x368px) Image search: [Google]
alsofire.png
514KB, 628x368px
>>3668417
What? I just beat ToP this summer and I don't recall there being a single loading screen. Are you sure you aren't thinking of the PS1 version? Then again I only played the SNES version via emulator
>>
>>3667629
Yeah. It's totally believable that you have all homebrew and demos ever made. And I have sets bigger than that. Not that everything ever made for the 2600 would be significant is size but it just shows how little you know.
>>
>>3667456
It's not really a megabyte. It is far less.
>>
>>3667629
the biggest 2600 game is 32K bytes.
And sites like AtariAge have areas where devs post their games before releasing them to the public.
>>
File: hd.jpg (124KB, 582x830px) Image search: [Google]
hd.jpg
124KB, 582x830px
>>3668158
Technology moves so fast, and is advertised so aggressively. It's funny to look back on what we considered massive storage, especially when you compare the cost.

Back in the day plenty of businesses would've ponied up 3 grand for one of these hard drives, you could store a thousand files digitally without needing a giant metal filing cabinet.
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.