[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is the PC Engine really worth it if I'm only going to be

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

File: pcengine.jpg (43KB, 620x383px) Image search: [Google]
pcengine.jpg
43KB, 620x383px
Is the PC Engine really worth it if I'm only going to be buying hucards? I really want one and think they look awesome, but am having trouble justifying it when it seems that most of its shmups got Super Famicom ports. Sell me on the PC Engine /vr/
>>
Dragon Saber
Splatterhouse
Legendary axe 1 and 2
Aldynes
R-Type
Keith Courage
Dragon Spirit
>>
There are great games on the Turbografx like Ninja Storm or or Bonk's Revenge. But the prices are getting out of control, so I would check the /v/'s recommended wiki for must have Turbo chips and get them on an everdrive to save on money if you have the console, or emulate them on the Wii.
>>
>>3665814
If you have to justify all your purchases /vr/ may not be for you. I finally buckled down and bought a PCE and a turbo everdrive. I don't play it more than a bunch of my other systems but I don't regret spending the money.

>>3665823
>Not mentioning Bomberman '94 or Bonk series.

Otherwise you're nailing it.
>>
>>3665814
Yeah, its worth it.
Schmups aside, there's a Lot of awesome games. Plus they are so cheap and unique. I think it's worth it alone for splatterhouse, die hard, the bonk titles, s.c.i,, ninja spirit, ninja gaiden, the best version of street fighter 2 c.e., etc.
>>
Magical Chase is god tier
>>
tsr| loves the PC Engine as much as the NES.

http://magweasel.com/category/i-love-the-pc-engine/
>>
not worth it for hu-cards alone. especially if you like the convenience of saving your game without additional hardware.
>>
File: 1461453332811.png (10KB, 256x239px) Image search: [Google]
1461453332811.png
10KB, 256x239px
>>3665814
>Is the PC Engine really worth it if I'm only going to be buying hucards?

If you don't mind being horrendously price gouged, then sure. There are a handful of great HuCard titles like Bomberman '93 and '94, the Star Soldier series, and some quality arcade ports like Gradius and Fantasy Zone. (Although the ported soundtrack definitely leaves something to be desired)
>>
If you like the look of the console and the hucards, buy it, but it's more practical to just play on the Wii. I know I play most of my PCE stuff on Wii even though I own one.
>>
>>3665814
It's only worth it if you're really, really into Shmups. The CD does add a few, great (overpriced) games to it, but it's not a console I found to be very satisfying on Hucard alone, particularly most of the library just consists of ports. Decent ports, most ports nonetheless.
>>
>>3665814

Yes it is. Make sure you get the top tier shmups:

Blazing Lazers
Soldier Blade
Super Star Soldier

Worth it for those games alone imo.
>>
>>3666704

Gradius and Salamander are good horizontal shmups if you like them.
>>
>>3665814
>worth it
>buying hucards
>look awesome
Why don't you just ask your imaginary friends who give a shit
>he just did
True
>>
>>3665814
>most of its shmups got Super Famicom ports

Literally wut

Can you even name one other than Parodius Da?
>>
>>3665814
Absolutely. You will miss out on a lot of RPGs, as well as Rondo of Blood. But the HuCard library is still very solid, and the cream of the crop is AAA quality. You will probably want CD at some point though

>Bonk 1 and 2
>new adventure island
>soldier blade
>super dodgeball
>bomberman 93 and 94
>wonder boy 3 dragon trap
>air zonk
>sonson 2
>ninja spirit
>parasol stars
>salamander
>legendary axe

Out of less than 300 hucards, at least 60 non-rpg games are worth owning,
>>
Soldier Blade
Super Star Soldier
Gunhed
Bloody Wolf
Magical Chase
Galaga '88
Air Zonk
Legendary Axe
Gradius 2
Devil's Crash

>>3665823
Aldynes is for the Supergrafx
>>
>>3666053
He also hasn't updated his blog in fucking eons. He would've reviewed almost all the PCE games in chronological like he would in fucking 2011 if he had continued his pace.
>>
>>3668593
>Gradius 2
That was on Super CD-ROM2. Only Gradius 1 and Salamander (plus Parodius Da!) were on HuCard.
>>
Anybody got a list of multiplayer games for the PC Engine / Turbografx 16?
>>
>>3668925
Also, who gives a crap about that old dinosaur anymore? He spends his free time on Twitter retweeting from 8-4 and Frank Cifadi and thinks "kusoge" is a term of endearment for weird video games (no, it just means "crappy game").
>>
>>3669129
http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?19158-Need-some-multi-player-Turbo-Engine-games/page2
>>
>>3670228
Thanks.
>>
File: FullSizeRender.jpg (884KB, 3008x1693px) Image search: [Google]
FullSizeRender.jpg
884KB, 3008x1693px
>>3665814
If you get one for a good price and buy a Turbo Everdrive (or other Flash Cart) it's worth it. If you're planning on actually buying HuCards, do not do it. Otherwise just emulate. And keep in mind that the white (now yellow) original PCEs are RF only, just like the Famicom. That said, they're also much cheaper. Pic related, $50 on eBay.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.