[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Let's have a FFV thread. >favorite jobs >worst jobs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 9

File: Beastmaster.png (8KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
Beastmaster.png
8KB, 256x224px
Let's have a FFV thread.

>favorite jobs
>worst jobs (because everyone already know the best)
>favorite bosses
>favorite monster designs (Nomura did a fine work on this one).
>>
I was just playing the GBA version of this. The whole job system seems boring at first but it gets really fun once you start to get the hang of it and combining abilities.

It's much more immersive, battlewise, than FF6 because you require more grinding but it's not boring because you switch up your jobs all the time.

So far I'm liking the Geomancer, but I just got it.
>>
I play the GBA version because I think the soundfont in the GBA version sounds better
>>
>>3665630

SNES > GBA
>>
dual cast / summon
>>
>>3665658
I'm replaying if after a long time. The only problem overall is that there's a bunch of REALLY broken classes that make the game kinda meh.

This playthrough I'm trying to use classes that I never used before, and the Geomancer is one of them. Is really fun and pretty strong on some maps. The bell is also a great weapon, it's a shame the job is so easy to master and you never get "Equip Bells".

Tried Beastmaster too, but the class is just bad. Control is useful for learning blue magic but catch is way too hard to use. Is a shame since I love whips.

Got Bard and tried it too, harps are kinda bad, but I'm sure the songs will be worth it after a while.

I just got to the last crystal so I still have a lot to play, but I'm loving it more than the first time.
>>
>favorite jobs
Everybody mastered Berserker with dual-wield and counterattack. Throw in some Reflect Rings or Winged Shoes for maximum lulz. Remember that Berserkers are immune to confuse status, so there's no need to add protection against it.

>worst jobs
Beastmaster and Geomancer. As much as I want to like them, they really add nothing to the party.

>>3665674

Agree. I don't know what Square was thinking with those GBA ports. They all look like shit and were horrifically translated. Despite FFV's PS1 translation having retarded strings like "Y Burn," it was a lot closer to the original script.
>>
>>3665693

>They all look like shit and were horrifically translated.

Correct.
>>
File: 1366093125278.jpg (18KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1366093125278.jpg
18KB, 480x360px
>>3665630

What is the best class? Necromancer?
>>
>>3665718
Alchemist is pretty fun.
>>
>>3665718
Samurai I think.

Gil Toss breaks the game in so many ways.
>>
Worst class is red mage.

It's mediocre in black and white magic, as well as attack.

>but double-cast!

Double-cast takes a ridiculous amount of AP to unlock. Even though it's a cool skill, there's no point to it given the other ways you can match its damage/healing output.
>>
>>3665791
>Even though it's a cool skill, there's no point to it given the other ways you can match its damage/healing output.

You can equip it on other classes, you know. A common strategy is to use it to spam Bahamut or Meteor. You can throw Quick into the mix for even more casting.
>>
>>3665791
I'd say Beastmaster is the worst class. It's mostly useful only to hunt Blue Magic.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 2592x1936px
Lenna is best girl.
>>
Played DQVII recently and alot of fun with the job system so I decided to give FFV a try, what is the best version of it?
>>
>>3665791
i honestly don't know how you're supposed to beat the game without one of your characters knowing dual cast and white magic
>>
>>3665805
Beastmaster is definitely not the worst class, it's got way too much going for it for major boss fights. Geomancer is the real worst and it's because they're extremely weak lategame, and even if you're discounting that Red Mage and Thief are pretty bad by themselves.
>>
>>3665859
GBA. You lose visual and audio quality in exchange for a much better translation and fun extra content.
>>
>>3665861
I've done so several times. FFV allows for a shitton of freedom.

Look here:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MrmmtZPyCJnRL8ecIp5LOwhDnb_9FLeFQNjOzyVI-R8/edit?pli=1
>>
>>3665859
>what is the best version of it

The original Super Famicom version, if you can read Japanese. If not, may as well settle for the fan translation (ugh) or the PS1 Anthology port. The GBA port and onward all use a retarded and very loose translation that makes up too many things. Plus the GBA version has washed out colors and an ugly ass font.
>>
>>3665907
>The GBA port and onward all use a retarded and very loose translation that makes up too many things. Plus the GBA version has washed out colors and an ugly ass font.
Don't listen to this man. FFV is already a silly game and the translation is better than the dry SFC translation. Not to mention it has extra content.

And if you're going to complain about the sound, just use a restoration patch for it.
>>
>>3665907
>recommending a shitty literal translation and a barely coherent Engrish-laden piece of shit over the one translation that bothers to match the tone of the game
No, fuck you and your autism.
>>
File: y burn.png (20KB, 480x446px) Image search: [Google]
y burn.png
20KB, 480x446px
>>3665907
>PS1 version
>>
>>3665907
Ken-sama
>>
>>3665915
>FFV is already a silly game and the translation is better than the dry SFC translation.

That's, like, a matter of opinion. The point is that the translation makes up shit. If OP wants to play what is essentially a different game with a slightly different story, that's his prerogative. I'm just trying to give him a full picture to go on, unlike certain unconstructive posters who harp on these threads and try to force their shitty opinions down everybody's throats for completely inexplicable reasons.

>>3665916
>"Wahh!! No one can have a different opinion from mine!"

>No, fuck you and your autism.
Right back at you, Anon.
>>
Ugh, the best versions of the first six Final Fantasy games are as follows:

>I
PS1 or GBA/PSP
>II
PS1 or GBA/PSP
>III
NES fan translation
>IV
PS1
>V
GBA
>VI
Tricky

Origins is the closes to the original Famicom versions of I and II that you will get and have decent translations with the exception of Guy being "Gus." The fan translation of III is the best way to play it because while the DS/PSP/iOS versions do balance the classes, the difficulty is absurd and the graphics are poop. The Chronicles release is the closest you're going to get to the hardtype version without playing that awful J2E translation. The future versions and the SNES version are too easy and are butchered, respectively. Your choice for V is between the decent but dry RPGe translation or the goofy GBA translation. The fact of the matter is the game was goofy as fuck to begin with, so who gives a shit about the goofiness of the GBA version.

The best version of VI is tricky because the original SNES version has a certain nuance but is broken as fuck with bugs and glitches. The PS1 is the SNES version with all the censorship undone, which is a major plus, but is bogged down by bad music quality, a single screen transition, and 30 second loading times to open the menu. The GBA one has a different, but still good translation and a good deal of extras, while losing visual fidelity and audio quality due to the system it is on. The best version of VI is this patch for the SNES version: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1386/

/autism and shilling
>>
>>3665685
Bard is great. Just remember that two of the songs are missable. One you can lose after the worlds merge and the other you can lose if you don't get all the other songs.

>>3665630
>favorite jobs
I'm considering base utility and leaving out Mime for obvious reasons.

Utility: Bard
Looks + concept : Magic Knight
OP job of choice: Gladiator

Necromancer is pretty fucking useless.
>>
>>3665954
Sorry for being a noob, but how do I apply this patch to the original rom?
>>
The ATB and the amount of jobs available screwed me up. I always felt like I was doing something wrong because most bosses and some encounters would wipe me out. I know I can just switch it to Wait, but then that's not the actual game. Needless to say I did not finish it but I do like the idea of many jobs and I like Faris because long-haired bifauxnens are the best.
>>
>>3666926
if the ATB is screwing you over you can press start and pause your game to rethink your strategy
>>
>>3665630
>favorite jobs
i love dancer for those sick ass sword dances, also blue mage for the cool costume
>favorite boss
the fight against the famed mimic in the sunken tower, i had to actually look up the solution because it was the first fight i couldn't dual wield/rapid fire my way through
>favorite monster design
the objets d'art, i loved gold needling them and when i found out that they're weak to level 5 death my mind was blown
>>
>>3665954
I was under the impression psp was better than ps1 for IV
>>
>>3666980
Not him but if you don't care about translation and balancing intricacies, it is. The only worthwhile PS1 rerelease of any FF game to play is I and II.
>>
>>3666986
Is there something wrong with 4's PSP translation?

I'd always heard it was the definitive version of the game in pretty much every regard.
>>
>>3665954
the DS version of IV is the best
only casuals think otherwise
>>
>>3665954
>The best version of VI is this patch for the SNES version
>Not Brave New World
nigga please. BNW fixes 90% of the bugs, unfucks esper system and makes Cyan and Umaro playable. PLAYABLE.
>>
>>3667001
There's a lot of problems with FFIV's localization across every platform it was released on.

The SNES release had quite a bit of censorship, stiff translations, and inaccurate translations. When the PS1 version was localized, people hailed it as the most accurate, faithful translation of the game, which wasn't true at all. A lot of stuff was changed and added for literally no reason.

Every version of FFIV that was localized after the PS1 version is based on the PS1 script, with additional modifications. So, they took a translation that wasn't all that great, and kept messing with it without actually fixing it.

I don't know about the DS version's localization, because I didn't like the game, and didn't bother playing it further.

What's ironic is that some things are actually more accurately translated (but awkwardly worded) in the SNES release, compared to later releases.
>>
>>3667001
AFAIK it uses the same exact translation as the GBA version. I literally have no feelings for the Woolsey meme so I don't care that it does.

>>3667006
Agreed. I heard so many bad things about it before I played it that I was surprised that it's now my favorite version of the game.

PSP for the vanilla experience if you care about that kind of thing and DS for a replay or if you don't care about vanillaness.

>>3667014
Not him, but I'd recommend BNW to a new player if only they didn't edit the script like a bunch of fucking teenagers.
>>
>>3667018
>AFAIK it uses the same exact translation as the GBA version. I literally have no feelings for the Woolsey meme so I don't care that it does.

Just so you know, Woolsey didn't work on FFIV. His first project with Square was FF Legend 3.
>>
>>3667018
>if only they didn't edit the script like a bunch of fucking teenagers.

this, what the fuck were they thinking
I almost dropped the game during the floating continent because of that scene with celes
>>
What does monster catching does?
>>
>>3667037
You can release the monster later on, and it uses a special attack when you do. Not very useful, in most cases.
>>
>>3665693
>Beastmaster and Geomancer. As much as I want to like them, they really add nothing to the party.

Geomancer makes you immune to traps, useful on that one volcano dungeon, but I agree that it doesn't give you much else.

Beastmaster allows you to play pokemon. And control is necessary not only to learn some of the best blue magics, but also to defeat some otherwise unbeatable monsters. The shield dragons in Kuza Castle come to mind.
>>
>>3665907
PS1 version has bajillion year long loadings and some idiotic translations.
GBA version has some framerate problems in bigger spells, maxed out gamma for the no-backlight GBA screen, and crap music. However it has extra classes and a bestiary. And an extra dungeon too, but it's crap.

But, there's a patch that fixes the sound and framerate, leaving you with all the extra content. So it's the best version.
>>
>>3666926
If you get owned by a boss, try using different jobs. I used an all-physical party the first time I played, and the game was unplayable by the time I reached the battleship above Ronka Ruins.

Then I switched to Summoner and my jaw dropped when I could one-shot the cannons.
>>
>>3667018
>>3667028
didn't they rollback changes pretty fast?

I mean except for that one scene. That one is going to stay.
i still think game being actually a game and not a bug simulator is worth one terrible fanfic excrept
>>
File: 104-117.png (18KB, 480x416px) Image search: [Google]
104-117.png
18KB, 480x416px
>>3667028
I'll admit that some of the expendable lines they replaced with jokes and references did make me chuckle a couple times but yeah, the flat jokes they injected into the main script didn't even come close to the cringey lines they put in to make the game "deep"
>>
>>3667001
>Is there something wrong with 4's PSP translation?
How many times do we have to open this can of worms just in one week? Virtually every reply is going to be "The GBA / PSP / DS version is best because I say so, even though I don't know a word of Japanese. And you're a fucking retard if you disagree with me!!"

I tend to think this question is just bait at this point.

>>3667017
>There's a lot of problems with FFIV's localization across every platform it was released on.
Very much this. There are no accurate translations of FF4. The PS1 version is the closest thing English-speaking audiences got, even though it's not 100% literal.

The GBA and PSP versions are horseshit through and through, and the DS version goes above and beyond to make up a totally new horseshit translation that trumps the GBA / PSP by magnitudes.
>>
The DS/PSP version of 3 and 4 are different games, it makes no sense to compare them to the originals.
Think of them as remakes.
>>
So again is ff4 version on psp better than the ds one? I don't own a Gameboy or a ps1 neither. So I should choose beetween these two.
>>
>>3667265
I recommend the DS version
>>
>>3667265
PSP FF4 is a straight port with arranged graphics and one extra mode based on the mobile game The After Years.
The DS game is a completely revamped battle system.
>>
>>3667265
>So again is ff4 version on psp better than the ds one?

No. They're both shit. Wasn't the PS1 version of FF4 available to PSP as a PS1 Classic? If not, you could just put an image of it on your PSP, assuming it's modded.
>>
>>3665630
Mystic Knight for me. Being able to apply Silence status even on bosses or oneshoting mobs with break is awesome. Very versatile with low mp cost.
>>
>>3666980
>>3666986
>>3667001
>>3667017
I prefer the PS1 version over the PSP version because the PSP version is casual as fuck, even though it has the most content of any version.

>>3666849
Lunar IPS

>>3667014
BNW is the same thing as the J2E translation of 4's hardtype. It's a bunch of tryhard script edits to make the thing as edgy as possible.
>>
>>3665630
>worst jobs (because everyone already know the best)
Is anyone going to say anything other than Berserker
>>
>>3667765
Dual wielding Berserkers are fun
>>
>>3665630
>Mediator
The monster tamer very exploitable and cute.

>Worst
I dunno? Dancer?
>>
>>3667048
This. With a FAQ on hand, you can do a low level run with only beast tamers.
>>
>>3667765
>>3667790
I should really try to do a berserker run once. Get two of them with Dual Wield, or Barehanded, or the knights 2-hand sword hold, and some mages for support. Perhaps a knight with shield to cover them. They could wreck anything other than bosses pretty hard.
>>
>>3667765
Berserker is a mid tier class. It does good physical damage. The only issue is it being perpetually berserked, which isn't a big deal when only one person of your party has the job of hitting things until they die.
>>
I think !Time is severely underrated on endgame melee characters. Quick is just that fucking amazing. Given the infinite MP combo being anywhere in the party (all it requires is having Blue and Summon on separate characters, which isn't exactly a handicap), the cost can just be a nonfactor.
>>
>>3668089
Depends how much being totally outclassed modifies a tier for you, since Berserk is available both from !White and a staff item IIRC.
>>
>>3665915
This guy has it right. The plot and characters in FFV are paper thin. The whole point of the game is the job system. FFV is a rare example of the GBA port being the best for this reason.

Auto run
Easy saving
Portability

All work better on the GBA port
>>
Thief is the worst class objectively for what you gain for mastering it. Its a shitty stand alone class to max. And unlike other crappy masters like knight/warrior it doesn't have anything good pre master.
>>
>>3668675
At least you get sprint.

It kinda sucks having to be a thief to steal though (not sure if freelancers can equip the thief's gloves)
>>
>>3668657
>FFV is a rare example of the GBA port being the best for this reason.

You're forgetting washed out colors, ugly ass font and menu, ugly character portraits, shoehorned post-game content that sucks, and a shit translation.

And by "easy saving" I think you meant "this game is now further casualized."

No thanks
>>
>>3668847
Is this nigger serious you're playing a casual game and complaining its more 'casual'?
>>
>>3668806
>(not sure if freelancers can equip the thief's gloves)
Can't the bare / freelancer class equip everything?
>>
>>3668856
>Is this nigger serious you're playing a casual game and complaining its more 'casual'?

Yes, this nigger is serious, you fucking nigger.

How does toning down the difficulty of an already casual game make your experience any better? That's like saying you want to play Super Mario Bros. with all the pitfalls removed for extra convenience.
>>
>>3668872
>Yes
Hahahahahahaha didn't read your wall of filth but I skimmed Mario in there.

>throws in an analogy to further prove his non thinking
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
>>
>>3668869
maybe thief gets a higher % steal chance either way its only a minmaxers % class.
>>
>>3665630
Worst snes final fantasy
>>
>>3668948
The steal rate is fixed.

40% base chance of Steal being successful, and the Thief's Glove boosts that to 80%. Then, if the enemy has a rare item, there's a 4% chance of stealing that instead of their common item. The glove doesn't affect that, unfortunately.
>>
I ended up recently replaying through FFV with that one romhack that gives every single class the '3 ability slots' thing from Mimic. It's pretty awesome, though obviously incredibly overpowered.
>>
>>3668872

You still go back to a savepoint when you die, moron. The point is that you can set the game down mid dungeon.
>>
File: ff5.jpg (187KB, 450x590px) Image search: [Google]
ff5.jpg
187KB, 450x590px
>>3665630
Time Mage
Beastmaster, I don't like the outfit and whips are meh. Geomancer at least has utility, Gaia is good in world 2 and he maxes out the fastest
Exdeath in world 2
Fairy Orcs
>>
>>3665630
>Favorite jobs
Mystic Knight because of the gameplay, Dancer because of the character art (dat faris) and the sword dancing.
>Worst jobs
Geomancer, Berserker, Bard. They're all so boring, and as the Bard you simply can't do anything else while singing.

>Favorite monster designs
Everything in the deep sea trench. All of those abominations.
>>
>>3668675
Thief has the highest Agility, so mastering it means the Freelancer and Mime inherit that Agility.
>>
>>3668956
yeah i agree FFIV is the worst snes final fantasy
>>
>>3668657
So you basically just described 'babys first rpg'. Learn to play the better versions you diaper shitting manbaby
>>
>>3672358
No, that's Super Mario RPG (which is still a good game)

He's describing a superior version of a already good game.
>>
>>3665693
>>3665894
>>3665907
>>3665915
>They all look like shit and were horrifically translated. Despite FFV's PS1 translation having retarded strings like "Y Burn," it was a lot closer to the original script.

Go on, I am interested
>>
>>3665954
FFIV Namingway and FFVI Ted Woosley Uncensored are the best version of the SNES games. I wish FFV got a retranslation patch someday.
>>
>>3667084
>and the DS version goes above and beyond to make up a totally new horseshit translation that trumps the GBA / PSP by magnitudes.

TS: Final Fantasy IV DS was an interesting project. I had been told originally, of course, that I was simply to adapt the GBA version script. That was in some ways impractical and in other ways impossible. Dialogue was split differently between windows to correspond to the characters' motion on the screen for dramatic effect in the DS version, but it had not been translated in previous games with such a fine degree of correspondence to the Japanese that it could simply be split in the same places in English, pasted in, and work. Event scenes suddenly had lip flaps for the characters, requiring ADR and meaning that the old translation for those would have to be thrown out the window. The Japanese script itself was also heavily revised for the DS version; they even modified the name of the Red Wings in Japanese to give it more medieval flair. The item that had been called the Sand Ruby in English before was now clearly not red. There were so many changes that had to be made that it seemed silly to try to shoehorn in a translation that had been patched up and repainted since the SNES days, but never given a proper overhaul.

My overarching goals with the retranslation were to give the world an appropriate and consistent feel, bring terminology and recurring references back in line with the most recent series entries, and correct outright errors in the translation. The GBA version, for instance, had Kain saying "We will rejoin the Red Wings in no time" at the beginning of the game, when Kain had never been a member of the Red Wings; he leads the Dragoons. It's an easy mistake to make working with a language where sentence subjects are optional, but knowing the story of the game, it's a fairly major one.
>>
>>3672428
The Mysidian legend was also something I had wanted to update badly, as previous translations had failed to convey effectively what it referenced. The naming related to summons was another. Every other Final Fantasy had given them a name--Espers, Eidolons, Guardian Forces--but Final Fantasy IV simply called them "summons," or "summoned monsters." "Esper" had just been revived for XII and "Eidolon" hadn't seen any love outside of IX, so I brought it back for IV and then for XIII as well. I also felt the creatures' world deserved a proper name. Who would call their own realm "The Land of Summoned Monsters"? And hey, inventing words is always fun. "Feymarch" had zero Google hits before the game came out; now it has tens of thousands.

The Bomb Ring had to go as well. Talk about spoilers! In Japanese it's not quite as obvious since the "Bomb" part is the English word (the name of the Final Fantasy series monster) and not the actual Japanese word for "bomb." You're simply being handed some sort of signet ring to deliver to the village as a message. In English, you're handed a "Bomb Ring," and as the player you instantly think "Oh, okay. The king wants me to go blow up this place up!" There's no real surprise when you get there and events unfold.

Otherwise, I just did what I thought was best. The audience for Final Fantasy IV skews much younger than, say, Final Fantasy Tactics, so I tried to find a middle ground for the writing style--not so overwrought that kids would find it difficult to enjoy, but still maintaining enough fantasy flavor for an adult audience. Final Fantasy IV is, hands down, my all-time favorite video game, so I knew the game inside and out. The dialogue came naturally.

It was a bit sad to see that the PSP version fell back on the GBA script again, with only the DS version terminology retconned in. I had volunteered to adapt the DS script, even in my own free time, but ended up leaving the company before the project kicked up.
>>
>favorite jobs
Overall, Red Mage. In FF5, Mystic Knight, Samurai, Blue Mage, Dancer while swords dance is viable.
>least liked jobs
Freelancer and Mime since they break the game. Aside from these two it's probably Beast master due to its only purpose being for blue mage.
>favorite ability/spell
Songs due to how they're acquired, 1000 needles, White Wind, !animals,
>favorite bosses
Don't remember any.
>favorite monster designs
Monster girls
>>
>>3667048
>Geomancer makes you immune to traps, useful on that one volcano dungeon, but I agree that it doesn't give you much else.

Geomancy is a good support skill for mages, because it basically gives you free magic and helps you conserve MP for boss fights.
>>
File: gil cave.png (12KB, 480x320px) Image search: [Google]
gil cave.png
12KB, 480x320px
Hey, free money!
Thread posts: 90
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.