[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Aren't the old Resident Evils a type of Metroidvania?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

File: map.jpg (71KB, 728x473px) Image search: [Google]
map.jpg
71KB, 728x473px
Aren't the old Resident Evils a type of Metroidvania?

>large maze-like environment
>many paths blocked until you find the right item to open them
>backtracking
>get new powers (in the form of better guns) as you proceed

I mean all the foundations are there. Why is it never recognized as such? Even the maps look similar.
>>
I don't remember any platforming in RE
or fixed camera angles and tank controls in any metroidvania
>>
>>3660462
By your logic then doom is a metroidvania, as well as every rpg ever made.
>>
>>3660462
Devil May Cry is closer to Metroidvania. I think the action game element is more important. In RE you aren't dodging a bunch of bats and its not as arcadey.
>>
>>3660475
"Metroidvania" just means side-scrolling Zelda

(please disregard the actual side-scrolling Zelda games for this comparison to work)
>>
>>3660475
You can't backtrack to previous levels in Doom since it's pretty linear. There's no real item collection either outside of 3 keys.
>>
>>3660462
Keys and puzzle solving are the only things that open up new areas. You do not gain any new abilities.
>>
>>3660521
What's Zelda 2 than?
>>
>>3660641
Do you have a learning disability or do you just ignore brackets?
>>
>>3660462
That type of gameplay was common before RE. "metroidvania" is just the term for action RPGs mixed with side scrollers.
>>
You don't use the powers to access new areas. So no.

What you're truly getting at, is that yes, they're close if you look at it under that angle. "Metroidvanias" are action games with adventure elements such as exploration and puzzles. Survival horror is by definition adventure as well, action adventure genre with a horror theme.

Both are action adventure, just a different kind.
>>
Survival horror was always a stupid and nonsense name for a genre. How is it "horror"? Just because it has monsters? Doom has monsters, is it "action horror"? 90% of all games have some weird monsters in them, doesn't make them horror. RE should just be called a straight up survival game. Take the same gameplay and set it in a jungle like MGS3 and instead of zombies you fight animals and soldiers it would still be the same survival genre but not horror.
>>
>>3660462
Aren't the old Wizardy games a type of Metroidvania?

>large maze-like environment
>many paths blocked until you find the right item to open them
>backtracking
>get new powers (in the form of better guns) as you proceed

I mean all the foundations are there. Why is it never recognized as such? Even the maps look similar.

I swear this place is getting dumber by the day.
>>
>>3660775
Maybe learn English first.
>>
>>3660775
>Survival horror was always a stupid and nonsense name for a genre.

You have a point but not for the good reasons. "Horror" for video games was stupid because video game genres are definedd by gameplay mechanics, horror is not a gameplay mechanic, it's a theme.

>Just because it has monsters?
No. It has to have a horror theme, and a horror theme predominant enough for it to be worth mentionning as a theme.

>90% of all games have some weird monsters in them, doesn't make them horror.

That's because it all depends on the intent. IF the intention is to: gross you out, disgust you, startle you, make you feel uneasy, or scare you. Any of these points alone is enough, that is why pure gore movies are horror, even if they're not scary, as long as the intention is to gross you out.

If the "monsters" are there just to be cannon fodder and nothing else, there is no horror intent, it's not horror. Castlevania isn't "horror". It uses horror aestethics for other purposes. It's the same with horror comedies, if the intention is to make you laugh with the gore...
>>
Are Contra and SMB the same genre?

> side scroller, can't go back
> you collect power-ups and shoot at enemies
> run and jump along platforms
>>
>>3660462
Some believe that OP is on the right track, that for a game to be a Metroidvania it only needs to take place in a single map, in which the main way to progress is to find abilities/items/keys that allow access to new areas, as opposed to games like an RPG where you have to progress through the story to advance. Though it makes sense to add the requirement for it to have a 2D perspective, after all both castlevania and metroid are like that.
>>
resident evil is more like a good old point and click adventure game except point and clicking is replaced with action
>>
>>3660462
The items don't give you new abilities that allow you to access areas you couldn't before.
>>
>>3661801
>though it makes sense to add the requirement for it to have a 2D perspective

So Metroid Prime isn't a Metroid?
>>
>>3661801
IMO, perspective requirements are pointless and dumb, unless the very genre includes a perspective in its name (ie, First Person Shooter)
>>
>>3660641
shitty
>>
>>3660641
>than

Fucking retard.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.