[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So,what's the ultimate way to play retro games? I hear a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5

File: 1480449546461.jpg (698KB, 2360x1810px) Image search: [Google]
1480449546461.jpg
698KB, 2360x1810px
So,what's the ultimate way to play retro games?
I hear a lot around here that playing on a crt is the best one. But why bother to buy all consoles and games that you wanna play? Why not just emulate all of them on a modern pc or on a raspberry pi? What's the deal?
>>
Maybe people have different preferences.
What has to be said is that nobody can own every arcade game. Maybe a few popular boards but nowhere near the amounts offered by MAME.
>>
>I hear a lot around here that playing on a crt is the best one. But why bother to buy all consoles and games that you wanna play?

What's that got to do with using a CRT? You can use a Wii and a couple of hacked consoles and barely spend a penny. But the simple answer is that display lag is real, especially on the Pi where it's straight-up unavoidable.
>>
>>3655990
The best setup would be a raspberry pi and a modern tv.
With all the shaders available and being able to play everything in hi definition, it looks 100x better than any retro console hooked up to a crt.
>>
>>3655990
good troll
>>
>>3656137
???
>>
>>3656130
I had this setup in mind. I have all my roms on a usb 3.0 , so I will wait the pi 4 , maybe it will have a usb 3.0 port.
>>
>Raspberry Pi
Why do people think the Pi is something special? It's just an underpowered ARM computer running GNU/Linux.

For the price you'll pay in adapters just to get the thing to work you can buy an old computer that gets the job done just as well, if not better.
>>
>>3656241
Yes,but the pi is really small and cheal compared to an old computer. Also , what kind of adapters are you talking about? Just need an hdmi to plug to the tv screen and you're good to go.
>>
Best options imo are a Wii or flash carts.
>>
>>3655990
Emulators are the ultimate way to PLAY games. CRT and real hardware is the ultimate way to EXPERIENCE games.
>>
>>3656327
Indeed, I even invite my parents over so they can fight while I play. It's like I'm still a child and nothing can remind me otherwise.
>>
>>3655990
>Why not just emulate all of them on a modern pc
I do that. On a 15khz crt.
>>
>>3656140
It's either gotta be purposefully assembled in the most retarded way possible for the 'lulz' or the person who did this is an actual retard. Judging from the amount of hot glue used this might actual be another piece of Drakon's work, if so it's the latter then.
>>
There is no real "ultimate" solution. It's all a matter of what works for you. Some people like collecting, some people like having everything from the get-go. Some people like the distorted CRT look, some people prefer chunky pixels. Some people prefer having no lag, some people don't mind a bit of lag. It's all a matter of what you're in it for.
>>
>>3655990
To answer your first question,
>PVM/BVM CRT
>authentic hardware, consoles and games
>RGB mods if needed and cables
There's really no arguments otherwise other than time and money, but those are irrelevant when we are talking theorical "ultimate" way to play retro games.

Of course if you want to be the low test beta cuck that have invaded this board quite recently you could argue that whatever way suits your setup and mindset. So my personal advice is to get a NES Mini and start arguing for the superiority of composite and RF output in SCART threads.
>>
>>3655990
>Why not just emulate all of them on a modern pc or on a raspberry pi?

Because that's not the ultimate way to play retro games.

If that's what you want to do, just do it.
>>
>>3656740
This. It's like an instant newfag alert when OPs ask either for the "ultimate"/"best"/"god tier" way to do something or the "simplest"/"cheapest" way.

The majority of gamers will want to practice something between the two and for the most part these discussions are really just for educational purposes.
>>
>>3655990
Because the memeberry can't emulate what I want to play? Because I don't like lag? Because original controllers? Because light guns? Because you must be at least 18 years old to post here?
>>
>>3656051
>>3656283
I have a modded Wii and a Wavebird,

For SNES games, I am thinking of buying some unofficial Classic Controller Pro's that connect to the Gamecube ports. Are they of acceptable quality?
Is the Pro recommended over the non-Pro, which looks more like a SNES pad?
>>
File: htm2050.jpg (71KB, 584x513px) Image search: [Google]
htm2050.jpg
71KB, 584x513px
>>3656740
>PVM/BVM
kid
>>
>>3657406
>can't emulate what I want to play
Nobody expects the Pi to emulate your fucking PS2 crap, kid.
>lag
Bullshit.
>original controllers
You don't need original controllers.
>light guns
Mouse. Light guns don't fucking work unless you have ancient fucking equipment.
>18 years old
You're the one that sounds underage.
>>
>>3657438
>Mouse. Light guns don't fucking work unless you have ancient fucking equipment.
ahahahahahaha

>You're the one that sounds underage.
im fucking dying, my youngest crt is from 2005 and its probably older than you
>>
>>3657440
>crt
Holy fuck. No one uses those headache-inducing piles of shit any more. I'm old enough to be your dad and I have removed every single one of those piles of shit from my life and I'm insanely happy about it.

New display technology isn't as shit as it was back in 2008, kid.
>>
>>3657441
>No one uses those headache-inducing piles of shit any more.

wrong on both accounts
>>
>>3657441
show me your facial hair daddy
>>
>>3657436
Nintendo made snes style classic controllers for the japanese club nintendo. You're better off getting one of those on ebay.
>>
File: s-l500.jpg (17KB, 500x410px) Image search: [Google]
s-l500.jpg
17KB, 500x410px
>>3657609
That's not what I want;
>Expensive
>Plug into a Wiimote = pants on head retarded
>Therefore need batteries, sensor bar etc

I want a wired controller that will work nicely for SNES, N64, and Gamecube.
If the unofficial controllers you get on ebay work fine, then I'll go for those.
The downside I see is that the cables are short, but you can buy extensions.
>>
>>3657438
>i fell for the memeberry meme
>i justify my mistake by posting childish bullshit on the internet

>>3657441
You're clearly underage and just discovered /vr/. You're not fooling anyone.
>>
>>3657441

Are you retarded? I use the same CRT I got when I was 8, now I'm 21. Take care of your shit and it lasts a long time.
>>
>>3657620
dude those gamecube classic controllers are like pennys on the dollar, just fuckin buy one and report back
>>
>>3657441
haha thats right dude, i know exactly what (you)'re are talking about
>>
>>3656248
to play on a sd crt, ya know thread subject.
>>3656740
5/10 bait, laid it on too thick at the end.
>>3657441
6.5/10 bait, shouldn't have said kid, lack of period reference
>>3657436
I am interest in this too.
>>
>>3657684
Nice metabait.
>>
>>3657437
Isn't that a BVM?
>>
The ultimate way to play retro video games is letting them run on a piece of random hardware on any monitor behind you while you post threads on 4chan asking about the ultimate way to play retro video games.
>>
File: P10706810.jpg (533KB, 2000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
P10706810.jpg
533KB, 2000x1500px
>>3655990
>So,what's the ultimate way to play retro games?

The way you personally enjoy them the most. Pretty simple.
>>
>>3657436
>>3657684
Just get an adapter made for GC and use a real controller snes controllers are really really great. I was lucky with mine (NES/SNES/Genesis + switch for N64) although apparently some are laggy. but if you don't mind the wavebird you'll be comfortable with most of them. They're cheap too
>>
>>3656710
I don't get it. It looks like a raspberry pi with extender cables plugged into it so that the ends can be fitted externally. Plus a power supply built in so that it doesn't have to use the typical wallwart adapter. How else are you going to build it? As long as the outside is nice.
Honestly genuinely curious, because I've been thinking about doing something like this for a while.
>>
File: DSCN0752.jpg (731KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN0752.jpg
731KB, 1200x1600px
>>3657859
>quantum baiting
you sly devil
>>
>>3658156
>personally
It's 2016, we don't form personal opinions anymore.
That's what the internet and social media is for.
>>
>>3658220
Just because you have an internet connection doesn't mean you need to be a mindless sheep. Don't be like an American, anon. Think for yourself.
>>
>>3658221
>be like a europoor. brain shuts down if all your potatoes aren't exactly the same size.
You really fail at irony sport.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.