[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>"Look guys, we got rid of the pixels! Doesn't the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 16

File: 1480830594908.jpg (54KB, 760x428px) Image search: [Google]
1480830594908.jpg
54KB, 760x428px
>"Look guys, we got rid of the pixels! Doesn't the game look great now?"
>paying for a glorified emulator filter

Full Throttle looked like an animated movie when it came out. This "remastered" version looks like they just upscaled everything with an algorithm and them cleaned it up. It looks like shit and the original art gets ruined when you do this to it. And the 3D rendered stuff has been completely ass-raped, traced over sloppily with blocky vector graphics by some twit in China being paid $2 an hour.

If you were to remake / remaster Full Throttle the right way, you would have to re-draw all the character animations and re-render all the vehicle animations. Tim "Double Fine Means You Pay Twice" Schafer took the path of least resistance though, and now the game looks like bland junk with unnaturally thick outlines and blocky color transitions as far as the eyes can see because everything's been traced over haphazardly. I knew it was going to look bad, but it looks even worse than I expected.

I will not be buying this shit, just like I didn't buy Day of the Tentacle Remastered. God forbid this hack starts butchering classic Lucas Arts games he had next to nothing to do with like Indiana Jones, The Dig, Monkey Island 3 & 4, or Sam & Max.
>>
>>3655435
I never even knew this was in the works let alone released.
How do you feel about the Monkey Island remasters and Grim Fandango remaster?
I disliked the Monkey Island graphics but really enjoyed playing the original graphics with commentary.
Grim Fandango didn't bother me as I already thought it was great with ResidualVM and the tank control mod.
>>
>>3655449
The Monkey Island remakes weren't great but they weren't bad either. The HD graphics definitely had a lot of color and pop and "newness" to them although I enjoy and appreciate the aesthetic of the original versions a bit more.

The thing that really made the Special Editions worth playing for me was the new voiceovers. They were really well done and I wish there was a way I could play "talkie" versions of the original games with the new voiceovers. All around the Special Editions at least felt like they had a lot of effort and love put into them even though I think the originals hold up fine on their own.

Grim Fandango is still Grim Fandango. There's not a lot new about it but it's at least easier to pick up and play than trying to get the original version running, which I suppose was the point. It goes on sale for really cheap sometimes and I even got the Vita version for free so I'd say overall it was a welcome product even if it wasn't terribly ambitious.

Full Throttle and Day of the Tentacle remastered have absolutely no reason to exist which is why I find them so infuriating. It's not just that the originals are fine, but moreso that the "remasters" make the games look uglier. They exist only to line Tim Schafer's pockets by cashing in on people's nostalgia. I cannot think of a single reason to play these instead of the originals using SCUMM VM other than that you may happen to be one of those poor saps who are addicted to giving Tim Schafer money.
>>
>>3655471
>I wish there was a way I could play "talkie" versions of the original games with the new voiceovers.

Wishes do come true..
http://www.gratissaugen.de/ultimatetalkies/monkey1.html
>>
>>3655495
bueno
>>
This is the kind of "quality" we can expect from Tim Schafer now that Lucas Arts is dead but he has access to their IP though Disney who doesn't give a shit.
>>
>>3655449
I remember the Grim Fandango remaster running like ass because Tim cheaped out on QA testing in order to shove it out the door faster, and that apparently the PS4 version also had problems at launch and required a complete wipe of the game data to patch it. Running it in Residual is actually the superior method despite not having real time shadows.
I don't know how Tim got the money to buy up all these Lucasarts Games properties, or was he jsut able to claim ownership of the IPs because his name is attached to them?
>>
>>3655539
>See image while scrolling
>"Oh neat! Full Throttle"
>"I don't remember the graphics looking so bad"
>Read thread
It looks like the took the images from the old game, threw them into Adobe Illustrator, hit Live Trace and called it a day.
>>
>>3655471
>appreciate the aesthetic of the original versions a bit more.
The EGA version?
>>
>>3655435
>>
File: full throttle quick trace.jpg (181KB, 1279x720px) Image search: [Google]
full throttle quick trace.jpg
181KB, 1279x720px
>>3655568
From what I can tell that's exactly what they did, and then they quickly cleaned up whatever the live trace botched up by hand. I just did this little experiment live-tracing a screenshot from the original game and then cleaning it up, and it took me about 5 minutes. Granted it looks worse than the same screen in the Special Edition, but it gets the point across that this thing is being churned out very lazily and cheaply, which is exactly what I expect from Tim Schafer.

God forbid Disney starts letting him fuck around with other people's Lucas Arts games instead of just his own. He is going to rape the hell out of Indiana Jones, Sam & Max and Secret of Monkey Island if Disney lets him. And if you look at the comments sections on the Youtube trailer for this, you can see there are plenty of twats out there already begging for him to.
>>
>>3655619
Tim $chafer.
He's a prime example of a mid-life crisis trying to relive his glory days but lacking the charisma and daring of youth.
>>
File: 35968369256.jpg (197KB, 504x644px) Image search: [Google]
35968369256.jpg
197KB, 504x644px
>>3655628
>>
File: 1480848966099.jpg (44KB, 512x386px) Image search: [Google]
1480848966099.jpg
44KB, 512x386px
>>
>>3655619
>thing is being churned out very lazily and cheaply, which is exactly what I expect from Tim Schafer.
Well yeah and basically every other game developer out there these days. That's what gaming is these days. So that's being a greedy jew but it's not any different from the veritable sea of greedy jews throwing up garbage like it's going out of style. Gaming has largely been dead for ages if that's somehow news to you, you aren't going to care about the quality of your games anyway, as most younger people do not. A whole generation literally grew up playing garbage and they fucking adored it.
>>
Crash Bandicoot HD was shown at the same event and it actually looks good. Not everything in the market is lazy trash, even if a lot of it is.
>>
>>3659024
salty sperge , calling gaming largely dead is absurd
>>
>>3655435
Cartoon gamus actually look pretty gud with smudgey water colored filters like SuperEagle. But yeah, paying ebay-lite prices for a fake-remake is lame.

>>3656203
I rike maymay art. Grandma is truly a madman artist!
>>
I am just old, but I like the sharp pixels. I used my imagination to fill in the information on the forms of things in the old games. I understand people rather see Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD Remix, but I still prefer the old pixel art of the original Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo, there's charm to me in how they were portrayed, where I use my imagination. With more advanced the technology gets, things like color and resolution limits can allow for the image to have the smoother round edges or more gradients, allowing for kids to enjoy with their younger eyes more accustomed to such detail. I still prefer some of these games as I remembered it (well, maybe with a bit more like "talkie" versions). I can't fault people for enjoying 2xSaI or Super Eagle, I just personally prefer the sharp pixel look.

I see a lot of "this is what the developers intended" on pixel art and CRT threads here on /vr/, but I always saw dithering as similar technique to hatching/cross-hatching shading techniques. Plus I've used RGB on my systems on a PC (CRT) monitor for ages, thus the sharp pixel look stuck with me. I just believe the developer intention was to have people enjoy the game (and they earn money), and one can choose how they want to see their games.

>>3655495
Oh shit! Wishes do come true! This is awesome! Thank you for letting me know about this! I love Lucasarts point and click adventure games, gonna haveta make a the talkie version for ScummVM now.
>>
File: CammyStanceFrame03-WIP.jpg (581KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
CammyStanceFrame03-WIP.jpg
581KB, 1280x960px
Sorry let me clarify what I meant in >>3659327

Pic is an old screenshot of mine when I wanted to show what I thought would be the proper way to do a HD redrawing of Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo. Forgive my lack of artistic ability, but I just wanted to give a proof of my concept, and my love for pixel art. See on the upper left is how the game has the tiles (note no stretching square pixels), lower left is the same tiles blown up and compressed to a 4:3 aspect, center is my interpretation (without learning how to draw), upper right is the early (at that time) release of what the final HD product will look like.

In the end, people seemed to be very happy with HD-remix, and I'm just a dinosaur who has poor vision. (Also don't mind that I had 18 tabs/windows open back then)
>>
Simply don't buy it. But we both know you're a comsumerist slut and you'll be buying it on a Steam sale.
>>
File: raster-vector-tower.jpg (38KB, 392x193px) Image search: [Google]
raster-vector-tower.jpg
38KB, 392x193px
>>3655435

>vector graphics
>>
File: vectrex.jpg (47KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
vectrex.jpg
47KB, 480x640px
>>3659436
>pixels
kys
>>
>>3659450
>meme machine
>>
>>3659458
>i donno what is dis it must be a meem amrite XDXD
lolin' @ you butthurt pixelfag
>>
>>3659463

Hi Mark.
>>
>>3659468
Hi Mohammed.
>>
>>3659327
My dad almost wouldn't buy that for me because of that sticker.
>>
>>3659406
You know, maybe, actually, people don't need HD graphics to want to buy the game.

I'm guessing, if you took the existing assets and just scaled them up 400% without changing a single other thing, no filters, no redraw, no smoothing, no anti-aliasing, nothing. The exact same graphics scaled up. That's what people actually want.
>>
>>3655449
Grim fandango remaster is great, worth it on sale. Point and click or xpad control options and commentary audio is what won me over.
>>
>>3655576
Not the Anon you're responding to but I originally played the majority of the first Monkey Island in EGA. The switch to (S)VGA was quite nearly like a proper "remastering." I was amazed. I agree that Full Throttle and Day of the Tentacle do absolutely nothing new. And I'm actually not the biggest fan of what Remastered Guybrush in MI1 looks like.
>>
The Monkey Island re-releases allowed you to toggle between classic and updated modes, if i remember right.

Do none of these other games offer that?
>>
>>3659626
I doubt it. There's no point as it'll just make it 4:3 with black or "themed" bars on the sides of the screen.
>>
>>3659626
Pretty sure the "Day Of The Tentacle" remake allowed you to, so I don't see why this wouldn't.
>>
>>3659626
The changes are nowhere near as drastic as in the Monkey Island games. I just don't see why they'd bother
>>
File: 1464697371557.png (177KB, 1284x721px) Image search: [Google]
1464697371557.png
177KB, 1284x721px
>>3659626
DoTT and Grim Fandango do, yeah.

DoTT went further in that you can choose which things specifically you want the original or """""""""""""""remastered""""""""""""""" of.
>>
>>3659645
because normies don't like pixel art anymore unless it's from shitty indie devs
>>
File: 1479740681894.jpg (137KB, 249x378px) Image search: [Google]
1479740681894.jpg
137KB, 249x378px
>>3659752
>HEY, DID YOU SEE THE NEW REMASTER FOR THAT OLD GAME? IT LOOKS SO GOOD!
>WHY DON'T YOU EMULATE WITH SMOOTHING FILTERS, EVERYTHING IS SO SMOOTH AND NICE.
>PIXELS? THAT LOOKS OLD AND LIKE CRAP LOL IS IT SOME KIND OF INDIE GAME?
>WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO PLAY SOMETHING OLD?
>YOU JUST DON'T LIKE CHANGE.
>>
File: 8359365706704.jpg (74KB, 686x665px) Image search: [Google]
8359365706704.jpg
74KB, 686x665px
>>3659775
It's like I'm reading the Youtube comments section for the FTR trailer.
>>
File: fullthrottle.png (347KB, 441x542px) Image search: [Google]
fullthrottle.png
347KB, 441x542px
It's clearly redrawn you fucking tards.

I dislike Tim Schafer and think he was always an overrated cunt but this game looks 100x better than the Day of the Tentacle "remaster". The fact that it's vector art is a bit gay but it's not bad.
>>
>>3659794
if by redrawn you mean traced with minor improvements
>>
>>3659794
Seeing them side by side it's not quite as bad as I thought but I still don't think they pulled off what the original game was going for nearly as well. And the 3D vehicles are going to look like shite because they've been traced over with vectors, meaning instead of full 3D renders we're going to be seeing flash animated vehicles.

I think that the remaster is overall not attractive looking and if the goal was to make the game look more palletable for modern gamers who can't handle looking at pixel art, it has failed. Now it just looks like a flash game from 5-10 years ago and that doesn't do justice to what Full Throttle was at the time it came out.
>>
>>3659803
>Now it just looks like a flash game from 5-10 years ago
Flash games rarely have animation that skillful though.
>>
File: dott-se-playstation-001.png (436KB, 900x506px) Image search: [Google]
dott-se-playstation-001.png
436KB, 900x506px
Okay yeah, they did apply a filter and then redraw the stuff that looked bad. But the simple fact that they DID draw over it at all is still far, far above this hideous trash.
>>
File: 3568526256256.gif (133KB, 311x366px) Image search: [Google]
3568526256256.gif
133KB, 311x366px
>>3659813
That inconsistent line width triggers me. It's a terrible way to do 2D animation and good animators know better. Full Throttle Remastered has the same problem.
>>
>>3659843
Are you saying that there's no good animation with varying line width, or just that it looks shitty there?

Cuz I disagree hugely with the former https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1C9ujuCPlnY
>>
File: ph13.jpg (179KB, 962x1287px) Image search: [Google]
ph13.jpg
179KB, 962x1287px
>>3659887
That has a rough pencil drawing look and that looks fine. It's expressive and shows more of the original artist's work, kind of like how the Dark Age Disney movies looked with their xeroxed pencil art. That's not even really varying line width so much as it is just rough linework.

I am referring to varying width like in superhero comics, because that just doesn't look good. Inkers in animation stick to a single line width per animation element, while in comics they use line width to emphasize forms and direct the viewer's attention. If the line width in animation is constantly changing it just looks sloppy because the frames don't come together as a cohesive composition. It looks like someone tried for a clean smooth look but ended up with something that looks distorted and odd. The original Full Throttle had very smooth animation for its time and your eye could trust that each line would be only one or two pixels wide at any given time (depending on wether or not it was a closeup). Your eye has no idea what the correct line width is supposed to be in the remaster and your brain can't put the animation illusion together smoothly.
>>
Day of the tentacle remastered was fine. i've played through that game numerous times and the remastered one felt just like the original and far more playable on modern tech/LED panels.

Angry poor fags sitting in their parents basement getting riled up over this shit :/
>>
>>3660592
Anon, your bait is too obvious. You have to work on being more subtle.
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.