[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

In 1999, three mech simulators were released in direct competition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5

File: Untitled.jpg (885KB, 3072x768px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
885KB, 3072x768px
In 1999, three mech simulators were released in direct competition with one another. Which one was your favorite?

I like MW3 the best. MW3 has the most satisfying and "weighty" gameplay, complemented with detailed weapon and mech damage effects. Overall mission design lacks variety but stays consistently good. Mech designs are fantastic. Inventory management is a bit cumbersome but adds depth and replayability to the game.

HG2 has many merits over MW3 such as the perks/flaws system which I find to be more in-depth and balanced than MW3's customization system, squad members that can get injured or permanently die, a better squad command interface, and more level variety. However, I take issue with the fact that you can't link weapons. Being able to fire only one weapon at a time makes weapon usage mundane and hardly different than a standard FPS. Also, while the mission design has a lot more variety than MW3, a lot of them aren't good. Some missions are over in an instant while some lack replay value from being too scripted and linear and are just not fun to play. I also didn't like the fact that you only have 6 mechs to choose from in the campaign and you get stuck with whatever one you picked.

As for Starsiege, I just started playing this but I'm having a hard time enjoying it. It's more similar to MW3 than HG2 but the weapons feel like total shit and everything soaks up a ton of damage. Firefights are long and drawn out and don't seem to involve much tactical depth. I also dislike the visual style which I find to be sterile and somewhat cartoony. It reminds me a lot of MW4, a game that I didn't enjoy for the same reasons.
>>
black ops > mw
>>
>>3655056
I only played MW3, though I liked it a lot, and also with the proper battletech rules patch.

Quite strangely, I can't recall it working nicely with my panther-XL. Still, I would sure love to play it with a joystick and a trackball, or with two joysticks, or whatever like that.
>>
>>3655056
I never played the Starsiege mech games, only Tribes 2. Mechwarrior was fun though.
>>
>>3656543
>proper battletech rules patch

Do you have a link to that?
>>
>>3655056
>>go to a second hand store
>>looking at CD and DVD section
>>found a copy for Starsiege for 6 bucks
>>didn't have any money so decided to get it sometime later
>>come back one week later
>>it's gone

I guess I could have expected it but it would have been such a great opportunity.
>>
>>3655056

i only played MW3

MW3 came bundles with a microsoft sidewinder,
force feed back is awesome when it uses gyroscopes and not pager motors.

MW3, nothing like playing online using a shadowcat and loading it with nothing with small lasers and the biggest engine you can put in it.

also back in the day damn cheaters would pick up their phone and whistle in it to make their mech teleport all over the place.
>>
I'm really hoping this genre will come back in a few years when virtual reality is a little more practical
>>
Heavy Gear 2 was my game. It looked unbelievable for the time, and had a bunch of great missions. Unfortunately it doesn't really hold up that well. The game was hard as fuck, and lots of bad decisions (zero g missions in particular) kept the campaign from being as good as it could have been.

Mechwarrior 3 always felt like a step down from Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries to me.

Never played Starsiege.
>>
>>3656594
Sorry, nope. haven't touched it in ages, and I must have seen the site go down also ages ago.

I doubt this is the same thing:
http://mech3mod.weebly.com/mech-3-weapons-module.html
All that one did was rebalance the weapons, make PPCs gauss cannons and autocannons fire faster, adjust the names, probably fixed the weights, made the lighter autocannons more worthwhile, mild tweaks of that sort.
>>
>>3655056
mine's Heavy Gear. The first more than the second, since you could play as the North and it's more open instead of scenario based campaign.

Before all that, though, there was Earthsiege and shit was cash.
>>
>>3655056
Mechs make no sense.

What's stopping a jet from wrecking the shit out of a mech?
>>
File: the mighty w-box.png (259KB, 600x480px) Image search: [Google]
the mighty w-box.png
259KB, 600x480px
>>3657497
"Lasers"!
>>
>>3656818
yeah, MW2 is best.
>>
>>3656632
>go shopping without money
>can't buy what you want
>someone with money buys it
Ya figger?
>>
>>3655056
Heavy Gear (the first game more than the second) for me.

EarthSiege is better when it's a strategy game (Cyberstorm).
>>
>>3657865
Do you know of a way to get the first Heavy Gear running on a modern system?
>>
>>3657874
Nope, I've tried a bit but gave up.
>>
File: HG.EXE_2016-12-05-19-04-44-638.jpg (384KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
HG.EXE_2016-12-05-19-04-44-638.jpg
384KB, 1280x960px
>>3657896
I can't download the whole game for now, but I've tried the demo using dgVoodoo2's Glide wrapper and it seems to work fine. The menu gets all fucked after exiting a mission though. Maybe using nGlide will work better? Also I can't figure out a way to invert the mouse.

Are GREL infantry supposed to be tough as nails? It seems like they can take a lot more damage compared to HG2.
>>
>>3655056

I only played MW3 but it was perfection in my mind. MW4 was MUCH inferior, MW online comes close to the feeling though.
>>
File: 1413047774592.gif (963KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
1413047774592.gif
963KB, 500x333px
>>3655056
HG2
>>
>>3657497
ECM, thermal misdirection, sensor decoys, anti-aircraft missiles, air superiority fighters, terrain, atmospheric content, lasers etc
>>
Ive never played mech games before are these good starting points? If so whats the best way to get them and do they work on windows 10?
>>
>>3655056
Mechwarrior 3 makes my dick rock hard. The others keep me limp.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.