[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it weird that when I'm playing a tile/sprite-based RPG

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

File: 13596.jpg (462KB, 970x546px) Image search: [Google]
13596.jpg
462KB, 970x546px
Is it weird that when I'm playing a tile/sprite-based RPG I don't mind the empty time it takes to walk across the screen to get to some location in a town for instance, but when playing a 3D RPG and doing the equivalent I get immensely bored and want to speed it up?
>>
>>3654684
In 3D you're starring at an unchanging horizon but in 2D every movement has something new to look at.

I get what you mean, but you sound like an impatient type of person.
>>
>>3654684
Look at all those trainers and tall grass to fight stuff. Not nearly as populated in 3D.
>>
>>3654684
no I'm the same I could walk across a 2d sprite tiled world over and over and not be bored but if I have to walk the same place in Fallout4 twice it makes me rage.
>>
File: that rock tho.png (247KB, 349x448px) Image search: [Google]
that rock tho.png
247KB, 349x448px
>>3654684
diablo II is kind of the sweet spot between 2D and 3D. I find it oddly soothing to run around in the fields of Act 1 or the Flayer Jungle over and over and over and over
>>
>>3654684
Never thought about it, but I guess I'm this way as well.
>>
>>3654684
In a 3D game that distance is greatly increased. Look at Super Metroid vs Metroid Prime. In SM you could cross a room in 10 seconds, but in MP it might be up to a minute. It just becomes tedious. Same concept applies to tile games.
>>
>>3655042
Really? I find Diablo II's scenary quite repetitive. It is no surprised, after all was modeled as a roguelike.
>>
>>3654684
Maybe because in low res 3d games the textures look shit compared to the simplest 2D because of the stretching?
They appear blurry and overall low quality in your picture already. The pure 2D is crisp. kinda the same effect that ruins filtered 2D.
>>
>>3654684
pictures 1 to 5: from crispy and essential to a blurry pile of pixel refuse.
>>
Every tile is bursting with cool stuff, 3D is just boring empty garbage.

However, empty pixel stuff still manages to be captivating to a degree because it stimulates imagination. 3D just absolutely ruins that; there is no abstraction going on, what you see is what you perceive.
>>
File: d2wide.png (548KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
d2wide.png
548KB, 1280x720px
>>3655042
Are you playing with perspective on? If so, you have no right to praise anything.
>>
OP picture kind of makes me sad I didn't stick with pokemon after Crystal. I hopped back in for sun/moon and have been having a good time, but I wish I continued to play the series as I was growing up. I remember renting crystal from blockbuster and playing a lot for two weeks
>>
>>3656282
Sun and Moon is probably the best place to jump back in right now. They got rid of the disgusting abhorrent sacred cow known as "Hidden Machines" and have generally added a new layer of polish to it.
>>
>>3656295

This guy is a nintendo shill, don't listen to him. The only games after G/S worth playing are Black 2 White 2.
>>
File: 1462901089717.jpg (24KB, 297x452px) Image search: [Google]
1462901089717.jpg
24KB, 297x452px
>>3654684
>getting a walking speed boost upgrade
>it's permanent
>>
>>3656295
Nigga you dumb. That's hardly an appealing feature. What about the core game play is better than gen 1? It's the same game.
>>
I've always maintained that tile-based overworlds in RPGs are inherently superior. Each tile has purpose, whereas a seamless 3D world seems much more likely to contain "filler" to make it look big. If you put the same kind of filler in 3D environments back into a tile based game, it would be much more noticeable.
>>
>>3656295
>Maybe if we finally take out HMs which we should have done 10 years ago, people won't notice that we're totally raping the concept of caves and dungeons in the ass.
>>
>>3656532
>Each tile has purpose, whereas a seamless 3D world seems much more likely to contain "filler"
I've always felt that way about pixel graphics as opposed to 3D models in general. When an artist is drawing a sprite, every single pixel has meaning and is specifically chosen for its exact color and position. Everything comes out exactly as he intended to create the image of the character he wants to project. Unnecessary details are safely excluded. Within the artist's particular style there essentially ends up being a "right" answer and a "wrong" answer for any given pixel as he's drawing.

3D models end up being much "analog" in comparison. Should this vertex be 0.001 microns to the left? Should the legs be a tiny bit longer? Should we add more polygons to the shirt, or is this sufficient? Is the UV mapped properly along the mesh or should we rearrange it slightly? Is the animation too jittery? Is my texture being washed out by a crummy filter? Are these the right shades of green or will they clash since we've no strict palette restrictions? Will the lighting effects clash? etc etc. Not to say there isn't some good looking 3D out there even among retro tech, but I think it took a loooong time for 3D to begin to approach the level of sublimeness that sprite art had already achieved by the early 90s.
>>
>>3654684
yes.

>>3654687
In 3D there's more new to look at every second
>>
>>3654684
>Is it weird that when I'm playing a tile/sprite-based RPG I don't mind the empty time it takes to walk across the screen to get to some location in a town for instance, but when playing a 3D RPG and doing the equivalent I get immensely bored and want to speed it up?

In a 2D RPG, you're only paying attention to the steps immediately in front of you, the immediate path you need to take.

In a 3D RPG, your eyes are trained on your destination looming far off in the distance, you to feel impatience.

It's the same with any large task. When you're focused on what you're immediately doing, the distant nature of your goal stops bothering you so much.
>>
>>3654684
Only 3d game where it doesn't bother me is not retro: Shadow of the Colossus . I was actually playing it recently and wondering the same thing.
>>
>>3658097
3D is hard for people with ADD. This board makes more sense now.
>>
>>3654684
what version of pokemon is right of the yellow version in this pic?
>>
>>3658110
Quake 1.
Problem solved
>>
>>3658237
gold/silver/crystal. it's a hacked map; those areas don't actually appear in any games
>>
Man, GSC are fucking fantastic.
>>
File: 1480793948069.png (10KB, 240x301px) Image search: [Google]
1480793948069.png
10KB, 240x301px
>>3656537
>unironically wanting Zubat and Geodude up your ass every 2 steps
>>
>>3656224
i had no idea that unova was so ugly, only gen that i skipped
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.