[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My parent's wanted an NES Mini for Christmas, and I know

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 172
Thread images: 25

File: retropie_scraping01.jpg (834KB, 1659x1000px) Image search: [Google]
retropie_scraping01.jpg
834KB, 1659x1000px
My parent's wanted an NES Mini for Christmas, and I know all about Nintendo's shipping "shortages" and scalpers and all that nonsense.
I told her about making one myself with every game using the Retropie/Raspberry Pi.

So far, I'm doing alright: I got the parts, got RetroPie loaded, installed a bunch of ROMs on the thing.

There's one problem though: all these ROMs have filenames like "Super Mario Bros 3 (U) (a1) [!]" in them, and thusly, all the lists of names have all the shitty (U)[!](1.01) shit in them too. Very unclean.
So I'm trying this scraping feature which I assume is to compile all the ROMs from a database so that each entry has a nice thumbnail and descriptive text with it, instead of just a cold, boring list of games with jarbled punctuation at the end.

Going through the process and it's taking a while, and I'm following the Steven Selph's Scraper method within the command prompt.
This shit keeps happening left and right (pic related)

I just spent like 3 hours doing it the normal way from within EmulationStation, and when it finally finished it didn't yield ANY results.
>>
Why not just get it working with the NES games before you worry about this other shit? Why does it matter if Gameboy roms work or not?
>>
>>3654269
I just hit "All ROMs". Prooooooobably could have saved some time by not doing that, but still, question remains why are so many entries coming up as "hash not found" or "image: unknown format"?

I got these ROM collections from piratebay, which I know shouldn't be the best way, but it was the only way I knew how other than to spend hours upon hours downloading individual ones from emuparadise or someshit.
>>
>>3654262

Just set up retro arch
>>
Still going through the Steven Selph's Scraper method wondering if there's a faster way I can just do it on my computer or something.

Reading up on info on "no-intro" releases are the ROMs best suited for collecting this metadata for a front-end database. At least that's what I figure anyway.
Looking at no-intro.org and something called the dat-o-matic, and I can't make any sense of it. I downloaded what I think was an updated .dat file of the NES library, but ... what the fuck do I do with that? Is there an .exe or someshit that I can download to catalog these ROMs?
>>
If nobody cares about exhaustive completeness and processing goodset is too hard for you you should have gone with nointro
>>
They will likely be overwhelmed with a complete romset. Do like 50-100 of the best games.
>>
File: retropie_scraping02.jpg (294KB, 1200x693px) Image search: [Google]
retropie_scraping02.jpg
294KB, 1200x693px
>>3654438
But I don't understand what any of that means.

Is there a place where I can just download a batch of no-intro ROMs instead of shady piratebay collections? Is it because I'm using some guy's piratebay ROM collection that the hashtag/info/checksum data/whatever isn't able to be read by these scrapers?

I just did a list of only 9 games. Shit din' work, yo.
Granted, I can understand that some of these Mario ROMs are hacks or something [Super Mario Bros 2 (U) (PRG 0)" vs Super Mario Bros 2 (U) (PRG 1) and so forth], but not a single fucking one of these could be scraped?
>>
>>3654262
>being so cheap you built a memepie instead of getting your mom what she wanted

You're a terrible daughter.
>>
File: 1477730002891.jpg (39KB, 480x435px) Image search: [Google]
1477730002891.jpg
39KB, 480x435px
>>3654502
>daughter

wimyns cant compute though
>>
>>3654502
k

Seriously, why does this guy's efforts yield desired results, but more than half of my ROMs just bork the fuck out and do nothing? Are all of these ROMs corrupt or something?
I've spent all day with little progress and it's really quite frustrating
>>
>>3654528
Attempting to try downloading Super Mario 3 (USA) from emuparadise. All the ROMs I have loaded under NES won't scrape for shit, so I'm wondering if this ROM downloaded from another source will work. If it does that means that more than half of these ROMs from piratebay are fubar.

And still no idea what to do with this dat-o-matic .DAT file. Is there some program I run this shit through to verify my ROMs or something? There's literally no documentation on no-intro.org
>>
>>3654561
Confused?

No-Intro builds and maintain DAT files for clrmamepro and RomCenter ROM managers. DAT file for a given system, when run through a supported ROM manager, allows you to audit/check your own ROM collection status (completion, ROM naming). This is performed by hash comparison (CRC-32, MD5, SHA-1) of your ROMs against hashes listed on DAT file.
>>
Did you try the other server on the scraper? When I did it, it took forever but I got the cover, rating and description.

The other server just did nothing.
>>
>>3654592
>clrmamepro
>RomCenter ROM managers

I speculated that was what the .DAT file was for, but there was abso-fucking-lutely no documentation on no-intro.org on what the fuck to do with said files. Horrible site.

But with THAT knowledge in hand, I can run this .DAT file through one of these ROM managers and point it at a folder of a system's ROMs to correct their hash data?

Tell me that's how this works.

>>3654601
That's next on my list to try. It's set default to thegamesdb, but going to the actual website, it loads painfully slow. So maybe it's an issue of the source website being a bag of dicks? I'll try the other source. The different sources use the same exact info though, right? I don't have to worry about mismatching shit?
>>
>>3654636
If it works it will be fine but I gave up on it since it would take like 6 hours to do a full rom set with that slow ass site
>>
>>3654262
sounds like you went autismo instead of just buying the working product like your parents wanted
>>
>>3654670
Are all ROMs the same in terms of what's readable by a database, or is it easily quite possible that any number of these collections on piratebay are fucked up?
>>
>>3654681
If my parents want a normie device they will have to buy it for themselves.
>>
>>3654705
I used a genesis pirate bay set and most of them were found and matched. Probably just searches using the roms file name
>>
fukin a bro, should've just used bulk rename
>>
>>3654719
Do the file names have to be exact? Example: I'm trying with PCEngine and all the file names are underscored like "Cyber_Core_(U)" and "Cross_Wiber_-_Cyber_Combat_Police_(J)"
Are the underscores in the filenames causing an issue or is the scraper/database smart enough to know that it's a PCEngine/Turbografix game and that "Cyber_Core_(U)" could only be "Cyber Core" in its database?

Absolutely no fucking clue why it's an issue, and it's probably something super dumb, and when I can figure it out I can move on with my life.
>>
Random thought: could it have something to do with the theme? Like there's a Pixel theme and also a Meta-Pixel theme? Is meta-pixel able to display the data?
>>
File: retropie_scraping03.jpg (515KB, 1500x871px) Image search: [Google]
retropie_scraping03.jpg
515KB, 1500x871px
Interestingly enough, the Game Gear and Game Boy folder contents have changed to reflect the metadata, naming conventions and all, so the scraping for them seemed to have worked.
Unfortunately, the NES, SNES, Genesis, and Turbografix all remain unchanged.
>>
>>3654781
After Burner II (U) [!].bin is an example file of mine. No underscores. I have no idea why its not working for you.
>>
>>3654818
I would understand maybe if there was something in front of the name like "(241) Wheel of Fortune" or something. But as of right now, I'm stumped.
>>
>>3654262
>building a RPi box for a normie

Stop. Don't. Those things require constant maintenance. Something as simple as the bluetooth controller coming unsynced is beyond the capabilities of a normie to repair on their own.
>>
>>3654502
>implying they're not better off with this than with the mini
>>
File: 1468723085247.jpg (234KB, 900x599px) Image search: [Google]
1468723085247.jpg
234KB, 900x599px
OP

buy a used wii and hack that.

if i remember correctly, some of the most popular loaders/emulators connect to servers to sift/organize/relabel/insert cover art for everything built in.

it is also more powerful than a RPi at roughly the same cost

it has better emulators and piratable official .wads of all the best retro games put together by nintendo

it can emulate/run n64 + gamecube + wii games

it is easier to 'dummy proof', i remember 'childproof' features when setting up my last one.

and it has a plethora of controller options that just plug and play, no syncing bullshit.

this is a really stupid use of a RPi when used wii's exist, cost the same, and do the job better.
>>
- Not exactly sure of what your saying but here are rom sets with the purest rom, so maybe that will help.

https://archive.org/download/No-Intro-Collection_2015-03-03

On a side note, the prices are falling on the mini. Saw one today for 120$, so maybe just get your mom what she wanted.
>>
>>3654878
How is enabling pairing mode that hard?
>>
File: retropie.gif (885KB, 300x221px) Image search: [Google]
retropie.gif
885KB, 300x221px
>>3654528
>I've spent all day with little progress and it's really quite frustrating
You should be in a Nintendo commercial.
>>
>>3654262
1. Fuck Retropie
2. Get lakka instead
3. ?????
>>
>>3654935
My parents can't operate a DVD player.
>>
>>3655236
Nor a condom vending machine apparently.
>>
>>3655236
If they can't even operate a DVD player there's zero chance of them using any sort of gaming device, even the mini, so it doesn't really apply to this situation anyway
>>
>Spend $30 on an RPi3.
>Load up RetroPie with entire collection of roms I've gathered over the past decade.
>Runs perfectly, no issues.
>Buy used Wii to emulate N64/play burned GCN games.
>Pi runs PS1 games fine.

Best use of $100 ever.
>>
>>3654528
I have RetroPie running with a bunch of roms that were named with the standard "(U) b1" and such.

I used a batch renaming tool to remove all suffixes on the roms, so it just lists the actual full game name. Upon scraping from that point, it works just fine. The scraper is very particular about game file names.

For example, it found Joe and Mac just fine, but Joe and Mac 2, I had to rename/search a dozen times to find in the individual scrape.
>>
>>3655245
hearty chuckle.
>>
bump for interests
>>
>>3655489
I'll have to try renaming the roms. That'll be my next experiment. I'm running out of options.
>>
I managed to get a script running to have background music. Pretty much all I have left to do is figure out scraping. My mom is normie as fuck and can barely run file folders on a computer, but if I can get them in a list with descriptions, and give all the top roms a 5 star rating so that I can organize them by that so she won't be overwhelmed by a huge list.
>>
>>3656095
If she can't even point and click what the fuck makes you think she can hit a button to select the game? You're wasting your time, dumb ass.
>>
>>3656780
Pointing and clicking is fine. I meant more like she would have trouble finding files in Explorer to, say, get image files off an inserted SD card.
So retropie's ui is simple enough to navigate for her (bottom left even tells you what buttons to press). But I think it would help immensely if I could get the metadata to work.

>>3654904
I'm downloading this pack to just play it safe. There are a lot of Japanese roms in there too that I wouldn't mind playing with. Would the scraping process/database pick up on the names of some of those games as well?
>>
>>3654262
>Retropie

Well, there's your first mistake, OP. There are better alternatives, like PiPlay or Recallbox.
>>
>>3657174
Explain.
Retropie was chosen because it seems to have the most documentation, and the gui looks nice. If the other options have significant pros I'll look into it.
>>
I have been trying to gace sonic cd, the us version play, and no music plays, is there a rom of sonic cd, the Us version with the us soundtrack that has the cue file?
>>
All you had to do was buy a nes with a romcart.

Your parents are never going to use that contraption
>>
I'm going to agree with just about what everyone is saying here.

I love the retropie, but deff would not get it for your parents, too complicated, they'll do something by accident.
>>
>>3655489
Are you fucking stupid? The suffixes actually mean something.
>>
>>3657265
Only to ROM hoarders. No one else gives a shit. They just want good ROMs of the games they play.
>>
>>3657656
Enjoy your 90% bad ROMs.
>>
>>3657265
>>3657685
I understand if they're different in terms of revisions and regions, but I just want to get this fucking scraper to identify these goddamn games, and I'm not sure if the suffixes are causing the errors.
>>
>>3657727
Why even use the scraper? After having no / shitty poster images and poor descriptions, I just did it manually. It's only as good as the sources it will use on the internet.
>>
>>3657685
>Good ROMs are 90% bad
You're 100% retarded. Enjoy scrolling through 90% duplicates because you have 10 different versions of each game.
>>
>>3654270
because you're a homosexual and you need to get dumps like NoIntro instead of thepiratebay hot shit
>>
>>3657958
That's what I figured. I could not find any other source, but now I'm using the one source anon posted earlier.
>>
>>3654901
not OP of course but I now have a Wii for the first time and I'm waiting on the sensor bar which is arriving thursday.

I don't even know where to start with Wii emulator, I don't need EVERYTHING, just NES, SNES GEN Whatever would be fine. I have all my favorite roms already so I would just need a setup guide for the Wii. Any opinions on which is the best one to use?
>>
>>3658260
Look up Letterbomb; it's been like 2-3 years but it was literally the easiest thing to do, you just put it on an SD card and then open up the "mail" on the Wii menu and it installs Homebrew Channel

There should be guides that help you out after that but it's generally accepted that FCEUGX, SNES9GX and I think GENS are the best Wii emus. There will be faggots who try to tell you to use Retroarch which has more consoles to emulate but no one fucking cares about those and its interface is fucking God awful and makes me feel like I'm hacking the fucking Matrix (in a bad way), I just wanted a clean user-friendly interface and the emus I listed above are all super clean and look like they're native Wii apps

After that the hardest thing is finding "channel forwarders" which put the emulator right on the fucking Wii home screen for easy use, some of the emulators or apps I got were shitty and didn't have a good looking one though, thems the breaks, FCEUX and SNES9X have good official ones though
>>
>>3658703
>hardest thing is finding "channel forwarders"
Certainly is a lot harder than just using one of the many tools that let you make your own
>>
>>3658260
How intuitive is the interface of an emulator running in a Wii?
I know I could navigate it, but I could see a parent turning on the Wii, having to know to get to Homebrew Channel, navigating to a emulator with an unintelligible name like FCEUX, and then entering from there into a list of games. No descriptors, no nothing.

I'm not trying to sound opposed to the idea, but Retropie looks nice right from the get-go, and if I could get scraping working correctly, I could have thumbnails and stuff.
>>
>>3659120
With something like bootmii you can boot directly to the HBC or an emulator or front end.
>>
File: IMG_2200.png (2MB, 1242x2208px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2200.png
2MB, 1242x2208px
I don't own a computer so I just bought one. How badly did I fuck up? It has every game from Atari to psx.
>>
>>3659520
lmao u fugged up bigly :D
>>
>>3659520
So, you've paid 140 bucks for setting up emulator on a 40 dollar machine and downloading roms for you? I think you kinda fucked up.
>>
>>3659541
>>3659542
But I don't own a computer to load my roms onto it. I'm so ashamed :(
>>
>>3659685
You could have bought a kitted out Thinkpad t420 laptop for that.

browse /g/ more friend
>>
>>3659690
What do you mean, "kitted"?

The only thing I know about computers is making and organizing folders, pirating, and deep web. I know g like to talk about think pads but I rarely go due to no computer.
>>
>>3654262
just use lakka

literally retard proof
>>
File: IMG_2202.png (570KB, 1242x2208px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2202.png
570KB, 1242x2208px
Should I join the auction?
>>
>>3659838
BUY EVERYThING
>>
>>3654262
Your parents are disappointed in you for being a fucking loser lmao
>>
>>3659838
If you buy a t420 used, get one with
8 gigs ram
i5+
a harddrive
Windows preinstalled.

Don't buy one that will make you have to keep buying more and more shit for it.

I bought the best T420 you could buy for 240$ 2 years ago, and it was newer then. So you should be able to find one for 200$ or so by now.

Just do your homework before jumping into buying stuff.
>>
>>3660015
>windows
Time to graduate to GNU, anon. Putting Windows on a computer is like hitching a mountain to a Mini automobile.
>>
>>3660023
That dude has never owned a computer he claims.
Making him start with linux would be torture
>>
>>3659831
>i noes folders and deep web
Read the rules underage.
>>
>>3659836
>literally retard proof
I wouldn't bet on that. Every time I make something tard proof the tards just go and get stupider.
>>
File: 1480210595802_2.jpg (40KB, 358x359px) Image search: [Google]
1480210595802_2.jpg
40KB, 358x359px
>>3659520
>>3659541
>>3659542
>>3659685
>>3659690
>>3659831
B-but anon has 3 months "remote support"

Surely that's worth 140 bucks?
>>
>>3660176
That would've been $99 which I declined.
>>
>>3659836
How is that in comparison to RetroPie?
What makes it "retard proof"?
>>
>>3660221
Lakka is great however I'd never recommend it to a retro-retard.
It's definitely much better than RetroMemePi but requires a bit of knowledge to use properly.
>>
File: retropie_scraping04.jpg (409KB, 1500x883px) Image search: [Google]
retropie_scraping04.jpg
409KB, 1500x883px
Okay, so I finally had a chance to unpack and sort no-intro ROMs. I'm playing it safe by uploading a couple at a time and scraping to see if I can actually do it or not.
This particular instance, I did the method right out of EmulationStation, and it actually worked! It read the games and I was able to choose the ROMs that match from the list, albeit manually. So now the game names aren't full of punctuation and underscores and brackets and shit.

A new problem did develop though... When I select a game to go into it, it'll flash into the BIOS/black screen for a bit talking about configuring (the normal screen I'm used to), but then it'll just fade back into the ROM menu screen, like it just wouldn't load.
Mother fucker.
>>
>>3660307
Update: this issue is only affecting the several ROMs I uploaded for the NES. All the other system's ROMs, still unscraped/partially scraped, still work.
>>
I deleted all the ROMs from the NES folder and re-added some just to start over.
Interestingly enough, when I had the NES highlighted from the main ES menu, it told me that there were only 6 games (which is all that I re-added, so I know that at least worked), but when I selected it to go into that folder, the few roms that were there already had been scraped. So I'm guessing there's a configuration file somewhere that still remembers the ROMs by their filename?
>>
>>3660336
I found the gamelist.xml under ( /opt/retropie/configs/all/emulationstation/downloaded_images) which had entries for the games I had in it thus far.
Edited all the info out, saved, restarted, and when I went back into the NES menu, the games and all the scraping info was still there.
The file regenerated itself.
>>
>>3660347
Alright, after restarting without ROMs in the NES folder, editing the XML file to reflect no games and failing that, and then just deleting the xml file entirely and restarting, and then putting 6 ROMs back into the NES folder and restarting again, ES now shows the 6 games, and going into the folder now lists them without any scraping (that is, just regular file names again)
But... I still can't play any of the games. As soon as I select one, it'll fade to black like it's going to start, but then it just fades back into the NES menu.
What the fuck did I do now?
>>
Alright, I'm now at a new complete standstill.

I decided to fuck it and uninstall everything and start from scratch. I figured with the knowledge I have now, I should be able to do everything over again in 1/5 of the time.

Reinstalled Retropie and got wifi up and running and ssh open so I can just load ROMs onto it via WinSCP. I put a collection of no-intro NES ROMs in the correct folder, restarted, and it registered that there was a Nintendo system in ES now. I go into the Nintendo section and all my ROMs are there, granted not in a nice scraped format, but WHATEVER.

But, when I go and select a ROM to play it, IT DOES THE SAME EXACT THING AS BEFORE. The screen goes black momentarily but then just comes back into the Nintendo menu.
How the fuck do ALL the ROMs not even work anymore?
On a fresh install fklsd490aefwkfsd,m.fsda902ksfeaklsfdaklfsdlkfsdlf;sdl;sfdl;sdfl9032jfwe kklfsdiooifweko
>>
>>3660517
Some kind of checksum in the header based on the filename?
>>
File: retropie_scraping05.jpg (610KB, 1500x874px) Image search: [Google]
retropie_scraping05.jpg
610KB, 1500x874px
>>3660517
Further descent into madness:

I got rid of all those ROMs from the no-intro pack and put on some of the ROMs from the pirate bay one that I was originally having trouble scraping. THEY FUCKING WORK.

Why the fuck is the entire collection of No-intro ROMs refusing to run?
It's like choose between either functioning ROMs and no fancy scraping OR non-functioning ROMs and beautiful, clean organized titles and thumbnails. FUCK.
>>
>>3660532
Update:

Decided to try the ROMs on my computer with an emulator just to see if maybe the ROMs are just shit or what.
Downloaded the same emulator that I believe Retropie is using (FCEUX) and started up a ROM from the piratebay batch (Mario 3). It runs.
Now I started a ROM from the no-intro pack (Mario 3 again, why not)
Immediately, an error comes up:

"FCEUX Error
FDS BIOS ROM image missing:
\NES\fceux-2.2.2-win32\disksys.rom"

And then:

"An error occured while loading the file."
>>
That disksys file is a bios that your emulator needs to run you roms.

Retropie has a folder for it called bios, put it in there.
>>
>>3660567
Why would the No-intro pack Super Mario Bros 3 require that when the pirate bay pack SMB3 did not?
I figured that disksys.rom would be needed if it couldn't run Fceux on Windows.
In research, I have two files:
1.) DISKSYS.ROM
and 2.) [BIOS] Nintendo Famicom Disk System (Japan).bin

Which one do I need? I would assume disksys.rom, but given how anal a linux OS is, I assume it needs to be all lower-case?
The .bin file is the result of searching for a bios file for "famicom disksys.rom bios"
Does it need to be renamed a certain way, or is "[BIOS] Nintendo Famicom Disk System (Japan).bin" readable in retropie?

And I just simply drop it into: "/home/pi/RetroPie/BIOS" ?
I don't make an "nes" folder or anything?
>>
Alright, backing up a moment to try and at least get these No-Intro ROMs working on my PC at least.
Fceux gives me this error, but when I point the directory to the bios (both the .bin file and putting the disksys.rom file in it), I still get an error.
Or I should at least say, I don't get the first part of the error anymore (the "FDS BIOS ROM image missing: blahblah/disksys.rom")
Instead I just get "An error occured while loading the file."
HOW IS IT NOT THE FILE IF IT'S THE FILE? WHY IS NOTHING WORKING?
>>
>>3660607
the file is just called "disksys.rom" lower case. You don't need a specific nes folder.

If you're having problems with the PC emulator, put a copy of that disksys.rom file in the same folder as the rom you're trying to play.
>>
File: EhcZ13fq[1].png (84KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
EhcZ13fq[1].png
84KB, 256x256px
>anon makes emulator box for parents

>he's too lazy to meticulously search thousands of roms to make sure they are not hidden anime porn caches

>parents now think he's some kind of freak
>>
>>3660670
Alright, in RetroPie, I put the disksys.rom in the BIOS folder, and for good measure I also renamed the [BIOS] Nintendo Famicom Disk System (Japan).bin" file into "disksys.bin" as well, because why the fuck not?

Games still refuse to load

On the PC side: I took the disksys.rom and put it in fceux main folder and I even went into the Directories menu and pointed the BIOS to a folder that had both "disksys.rom" AND the "[BIOS] Nintendo Famicom Disk System (Japan).bin" file.

I still get the "An error has occurred while loading the file" message.

Is technology just shitting on me?
>>
Moreover, why the hell does the same game work in that emulator but not the other? Why does the no-intro one require the disksys.rom at all?
>>
>>3660743
I think his parents already know he's special. He's been working on this for a week. First time I did it it took maybe 2 hours. 90% of that was downloading shit. Best xmas gift he could give his mom is learning to tie his shoes.
>>
>>3654561
Go to Archive.org, search for the no-intro sets, download and be happy.
>>
>>3661162
NO BULLY
>>
>>3659520
>I don't own a computer

Normie get out!
>>
>>3661163
Read thread.

>>3661162
I could technically give the thing to them now. Right now the hold up is why the archive.com no-intro set of NES ROMs (which I can actually get to scrape and get the thumbnails and descriptions) will NOT fucking load at all compared to the ROMs I downloaded from pirate bay.

Why the fuck do I need an FDS BIOS (.bin file or disksys.rom file) for these NES roms?!
>>
>>3660607
>>3660625

Could you upload a small sample of romsthat refuse to work, then I could see if they run here or are just shit.
>>
>>3661343
Everything I got was from the archive.org link anon mentioned earlier, but here's a sample:

https://www.sendspace.com/filegroup/h7NJs20vMvwGVYSU6QSfKrDMHxUQzCuSD5K6aBYVZQM

The first 4 ROMs are from No-Intro, and the fifth one is from Pirate Bay.

nb4 post won't go through due to spam filter
>>
>>3661373

Those first 4 roms simply refuse to load even with the BIOS installed.
It gives an error while loading, which would fit to what you saw with directly returning.
Your roms appear to be bad.
The last one runs fine on all emulators.
My versions of these games run fine. They came out of a GoodNES set.
Now try if they work for you.

https://www.sendspace.com/filegroup/yDFYqvtrlDvzkK1k1ScJ2A
>>
File: retropie_scraping06.jpg (229KB, 1500x805px) Image search: [Google]
retropie_scraping06.jpg
229KB, 1500x805px
You know what, I think I may have had a break in the case.

Still can't figure out why the fuck the No-Intro NES ROMs won't work, but I think I figured out something with the scraping process.

When I go through the menu and, in this case, select the system I want, almost as soon as I hit enter, it'll start, and literally in the blink of an eye, there's a message that appears then disappears, and then simply says that the ROMS have been scraped.

I had to take a video with my phone and then play it back in slow motion to actually catch the message, and it said:

"got 429 Too Many Requests response"

I know I've read that "thegamesdb" server is really slow, but if it's going to error out because it can't handle the request at the time, have something fucking pop up for longer than 0.0003 seconds so that I could have avoided that.

Guess I'm going to have to do this at 3 AM so that all the kids won't be awake and hammering the server. Fuck dicks.

Also, Merry Christmas.
>>
>>3661421
Huh, I wonder if the entire NES.zip is borked on the archive.org link. Thanks for looking into it for me, anon!
>>
>>3661460
Some emulators wont run roms that are zippled/rared (compressed) just FYI.

Sure hope you tested a unpacked rom vs an archived one
>>
>>3661472
I've unzipped everything, including my pants. It's cheaper than air conditioning.
>>
File: vrsFo[1].jpg (73KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
vrsFo[1].jpg
73KB, 480x270px
>>3661569
>>
>>3660542
Jesus fucking christ man. You need BIOS files. Grab them from the emulation gametech wiki.

Most of this shit is in the wiki. The wiki in the sticky. The top post on this board. And everyone else in this thread is just as retarded as you are.

There's nothing in the wiki for retropie afaik, but it's just a front end for retroarch. This sort of project isn't something you should try until you have the hang of retroarch, or emulation station (retropie) on Windows at least, where it's easier to fuck around and figure out/break shit without having to completely reinstall everything.

It definitely shouldn't have taken you this long to try things out on the standalone for FCEUX to see why one Rom would work and the other not.

So, a quick primer on the whole (U) [!] (PRG 01) shit:
Go download the nointro set from archive.org
Then get a Rom manager program. Set it up to only keep the U/USA version, and only one copy of roms. That should cut down on having like 7 different versions of the same game.

Once that's run, I'd suggest cutting down your roms to the 30 on the NES mini, plus some more that you have hand picked, and maybe the games from v's recommended games wiki. That should be more than overwhelming enough for your folks. It should also make your job easier, and make scraping easier, to run it over a hundred or so files, instead of a couple thousand.
>>
>>3661187
>NO TARDS
FTFYK

>>3661196
Is your mom as autistic as you that she needs 10 versions of every game because muh fullset?

I'm beginning to think this is a shill thread for the Mini. Actually I'm praying it is. If people this autistic and stupid actually exist it's pretty scary.
>>
>>3661884
Read thread.
>>
>>3660307
Unzip and rezip
Nes can read .zip files, but the ones you have contain .bin files that magically turn into .nes files when unzipped. Rezipping isn't nessasary but it does save space. Also the retropie reddit or Facebook group will be a lot more help to you
>>
>>3661920
Who said about needing 10 versions of the same game? I'm meticulously sorting through them. And I'm doing this for my parents.
Don't you love your parents, anon?
>>
>>3659685
So you use a micro SD card and download them with your phone
>>
>>3654262
fuck retropie. get LAKKA set up instead.

also
https://archive.org/download/No-Intro-Collection_2016-01-03_Fixed
>>
>>3663283
>"The item is not available due to issues with the item's content."

When all of this is said and done, and I get everything configured correctly, what's the best way to package this entire project so I can save it for later?
Say I want to buy another raspberry pi and make one for myself, can I just copy the entire contents of the SD card on this thing and just paste it onto a new SD card and be insta-done?
>>
>>3654495

Yes there is, pleasuredome, UGC, BG. Try to get into anyone of those and you'll find what you are looking for.

There are probably on general trackers like IPT, TD and whatnot.
>>
>>3663330
yeah you can do that.

also pic related
>>
>>3663432
None of the those links actually work, looks like a DMCA takedown.
>>
>>3662641
>meticulously
Autisticly. Way to show your love for your parents. By not getting them what they want and fucking up your shit alternative. Is this payback for them getting you a brick game instead of game boy or something?
>>
After a 30 minute review of regex I wrote a script that deleted everything I didn't want (multiples etc)
>>
File: drakecatcomputer.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
drakecatcomputer.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>3663632
You sure are salty about this. Are you upset that your child wouldn't do something like this for you?
>>
File: retropie_scraping07.jpg (771KB, 1500x864px) Image search: [Google]
retropie_scraping07.jpg
771KB, 1500x864px
Yeeeeeeeeessss Elin.
>>
File: 2016-12-07 21_32_38-Greenshot.png (70KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
2016-12-07 21_32_38-Greenshot.png
70KB, 1024x768px
>>3663535
pic related
>>
>>3654681
Which would you rather get from your kid?
>>
>>3664296
I want a plastic mini NES toy to set on my desk at the office and look all retro-keen to my coworkers.
>>
>>3654262
Why didn't you just install RetroArch on your parent's computer?
>>
You're a nice son anon.
I hope you make it work.
>>
>>3664404

We actually don't know the container OP will use tough. Sure he didn't plan to give them the Raspy board as it is but put it in some nice shell, maybe recreate a small NES too or putting it in a real NES shell with buttons connected and everything would be neat.
>>
>>3663535
i got the "No-Intro-Collection_2016-01-03_Fixed" should I make a torrent? its 36.4 gb
>>
>>3655139
thanks obama
>>
File: 1475278851687.jpg (66KB, 610x596px) Image search: [Google]
1475278851687.jpg
66KB, 610x596px
It's Tool Time (ITT) a decent, hardworking anon wants to invest some time into a gift for his decent, hardworking parents. This anon asks for the help and goodwill of the community during the holiday season, all the while, enduring the ridicule of one nasty nigger. A nasty nigger who was so worthless, so self-centered, so autistic; that his parents wouldn't even think for a moment about printing out a 8.5 by 11.0 inch glossy photo or creating a "my son mattered" when said nasty nigger gets a curbside lesson that his life does not matter.

Good luck OP!
>>
File: 1480472195521.png (74KB, 631x264px) Image search: [Google]
1480472195521.png
74KB, 631x264px
>>3654901
Now that's a nice sauna.
>>
>>3664691
What exactly is "fixed" with the "No-Intro-Collection_2016-01-03_Fixed" version? I got curious and took out the "_Fixed" part in the url and there was a non-fixed variant with working links. I just grabbed that just in case.
>>
>>3664817
Not sure what the differences are, I only have that newer "fixed" version.
>>
OP if you want to add super mario world hacks, there's a google drive file with quite a few, and a torrent with others. The torrent is at 1337x and the google drive smw hack file is:

https://docs.google.com/uc?id=0B7yS4WeM6TtSM3RRR2VkX1dqRVU&export=download
>>
>>3663764
>wouldn't
You mean couldn't. It takes a heavy dose for assburgers and downs to make this take more than a couple hours. None of my kids have either.
>>
File: 1474499904956.jpg (23KB, 395x392px) Image search: [Google]
1474499904956.jpg
23KB, 395x392px
>>3665485
There he is, the nasty nigger. Do you have ADHD or something? You seem mentally ill to not hide this thread. Wouldn't that save you some grief?

Nasty
Nasty nigger.
>>
>>3665485
>HUURR assburger is teh most EPIC word EVAR ill use it over and over and over and over and ugsh glarble ::drowns in own vomit::
>>
>>3654262
I'm actually in the same boat. My cousin wanted an NES mini, but was so disgruntled by Nintendo's refusal to make enough to satisfy demand by providing preorders, I'm instead making him a RetroPie.

I have one set up, but sadly it's got some weird issue on it -- every game on NES, SNES, and PSX run at about 70% of max speed. I've yet to try a RapPi3 though, so I don't know if it'll work better.

Beyond the speed issue though, everything seems to work great. My PS3 controller works fine on it, as does an Xbox360 controller. Navigating menus is easy and quick. Games load just fine even if they're not playable at full speed. I'm hoping that once I get a modern model, my issues will go away.
>>
>>3660532
i have a question for you
why do you feel the need to document your failures on this imageboard
>>
failthread.
>>
>>3664836
yeah mum would definitely appreciate these l33t m4r10 hax on x-mas day
>>
So how do I go about backing up my progress with this thing? I thought there was something about Linux files not even being detectable in Windows, so can I just simply copy the entire contents of this SD card on to my computer for later? And if I simply copy the contents onto another SD card, I could essentially just plug and play into another raspberry pi (provided it's the same model of course).
>>
>>3666308

completely depends on the format. Remember that storage media does not have to use the same format ast the system itself. Your Win system maybe NTFS but sticks are still often classic FAT.
Same with Linux, the native ext or reiser format is incompatible to Windows, but just use FAT and Windows can read i just fine. With portable storage media that actually is the standard option Linux gives to ensure maximum compability. You have to force it to format your card in Linux own format.
>>
>>3666323
I'll have to look into the format, but if I could just make even an image file of it, I could keep that and avoid all this later.
>>
File: 1462087812166.jpg (301KB, 1600x1375px) Image search: [Google]
1462087812166.jpg
301KB, 1600x1375px
>>3666238
>>3666252
>>3666241

There he is!
There he is!

Nasty nigger approaches! Plottwist, more than one nasty nigger? Maybe the nastier niggress has entered the nasty nigger ring? "No no" said the niggero nastieya, "i rane on pairade cuz i am the naystee" Jokeer card falls on you, oh nasty nastter one, i proviede raincoat and umbrellos for all. your dark rain of sulfur cannot penedrate
>>
Use Retroarch/Lakka. Windows is dogshit for appliances.
>>
>>3665516
>>3665540
Mad aspie is mad.
>>
Apparently I can just use that win32 disk image on Windows and make an img file right from that. Granted, the SD card is 32 gb, so the img file would be that size, but as long as it works.
>>
>>3667336

There he is again, the nasty nigger,and all the children go "EEEWWW, that nasty nigger!".
Remember kids, noone wants to be the nasty nigger!

Nasty nasty nigger

>>3668594

SD cards are pre formatted FAT so they can be used on both Linux and Windows. It's just that a file in the Linux own farmat could not be used on Windows, your image is just data, that data is the same no matter what system, it's just how this data is "packaged" so to speak.
So of course you can use the image on Win even if at the end it will be used on a Raspberry and if you did not manually reformat your card it was always FAT and the Raspy system will regognise it just fine.
>>
>>3668687
I like it, D!
>>
>>3668687
That wasn't me, lots of laughs.
>>
>>3654262
You can do all of this shit but it won't matter because it's not the exact thing that your parents wanted. They'll always think of it as being some cheap chinkshit clone you whipped up because you couldn't land an order for an NES mini
>>
>>3670604
Nasty!
The Nasty!

You do have a point- people like the brand recognition. But OP's parents likely do not have any brand loyalty to Nintendo or any other gaming company. If they did, they would have purchased one themselves or, perhaps, OPs story would have involved them saying "we want one to go with our other cheap, plastic shit (amiibos)".

SO, let's continue with how you are a nasty nigger that doesn't understand basic concepts:
1) Parents LOVE seeing their kids be smart and successful. OP is spending countless hours building them a quality product.
2) Parents LOVE having something their kid made them.
3) People LOVE unique, one of a kind devices. While what OP is doing isn't going to be the only one in the world, chances are, among OP Parent's circle of friends, they are getting a unique gem.

What's to lose here, dear nasty nigger? What don't you get?? What's wrong with you!
>>
File: retropie_scraping08.jpg (507KB, 900x1310px) Image search: [Google]
retropie_scraping08.jpg
507KB, 900x1310px
Well, I'm finally about done.

Games seem to be working as intended, put a custom boot screen on, added some nice background music in the menus, made a backup image file so that if anything were to go wrong, I can just start from that point instead of from scratch.

And I couldn't have done it without you guys! Thank you for your help!

>>3654681
>>3657247
>>3659957
>>3661162
>>3661920
>>3663632
>>3665485
Except you. You're a nigger.
>>
>>3654262
>My parent's wanted an NES Mini for Christmas
Very qt
>>
>>3671397

Is that how they'll get it? In that container? That's cute, the Nintendo logo will be a definite eyecatcher when it sits near the television for every guest that sees it, because what Nintendo console looks like THAT??
They'll probably be amazed that a little thing like this can play the whole library.
Very nice OP!
>>
>>3654262
Easiest thing to do I think would be to put a RPi zero inside of a cheap aliexpress cartridge, and have the USB ports accessible in the cartridge slot. Then print some sort of a NES cartridge sticker for it.
>>
>>3671012
no u
>>
>>3671397
Over a week for a 2 hour job. They must be so proud of you.
>>
>>3659520
It depends.

How valuable is your time?

How much do you make an Hour?
>>
>>3659520
you do know the rpi is a computer?
>>
>>3661460
if the roms have been modified in any way the hash will change. If they program is checking the hashs to a known good dump. It wont know what the fuck your shit dump is
>>
>>3663330
You need to log in. Here's a login if you don't want to register:
Login: [email protected] | Password: emugen
>>3664817
The NES ROMs in the other upload don't have headers, so they wont work on some emulators.
>>
>>3674237
Do you even have parents or did you leak out of a tube?
>>
File: 1477668227706.jpg (59KB, 675x450px) Image search: [Google]
1477668227706.jpg
59KB, 675x450px
>>3674237
I smell a naaaaastttteeeeeeeee
>>
File: aqua.jpg (71KB, 724x323px) Image search: [Google]
aqua.jpg
71KB, 724x323px
God OP what I recommend for you is the INTERNET ARCHIVE ROM LAUNCHER for Kodi.

just need to set up your emulators and the internet does the rest, also gives your parents a decent media player.

http://www.howtogeek.com/261169/how-to-browse-and-play-terabytes-of-retro-games-from-your-couch-with-kodi/
>>
>>3654262
Nes mini will be cheap after xmas
>>
>>3654262
Get another gift
Thread posts: 172
Thread images: 25

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.