[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are there so many people on /vr/ in their 20s and early 30s

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 102
Thread images: 6

File: 1472276272446-2.jpg (32KB, 648x209px) Image search: [Google]
1472276272446-2.jpg
32KB, 648x209px
Why are there so many people on /vr/ in their 20s and early 30s ranting about "millennials"?

Millennials grew up in the golden age of gaming (gens 3-6), when developers actually cared to finish their games before releasing them. Aren't you looking for Homelanders (yes, that's what they seriously call them)?
>>
>>3652347

Millenial is a fucking buzzword that doesn't mean fuck other than "people younger than me and everything is all their fault and why aren't they buying the shit I want to sell them? PARTICIPATION TROPHIES."
>>
>>3652347
I think that while /vr/'s rants are justified, they're blaming it on the wrong reason.

Some actually want to keep /vr/ an age-exclusive club. But the reality is, it's not that a different generation of people is inherently worse—it's just the public's mindset about gaming that changed in the recent years. This happened because in an environment of growing costs, publishers started targeting larger and larger auditories to break even and make profit. So gaming had been becoming less and less niche, and slowly drifting closer to lowest common denominator.

The comfy unspoken club that was niche gaming of 20th century was quickly overrun by perceived "normies" in far larger numbers, who started dictating what they wanted with their money. So needless to say the old gamers were endlessly annoyed, and they blamed it all on younger kids. And now they simply got a convenient buzzword to call them.

Yep, "Millennials" is just a buzzword, which isn't even understood by most; it's ironic it's used commonly on a board called "retro games", which actually talks about platforms and games which came out before 2000. But /vr/ is certainly not to blame for it: in general, every new word or term from "cloud" to "HD" ends up being distorted by media and masses.
>>
>>3652419
>"Millennials" is just a buzzword

Millennial is pretty well defined and a more common name for Generation Y. Early millennials (born 77-86) grew up with different games and music than late millennial (1987-1996).

Due to the wide span of this generation you have the G1 transofrmers kids who grew up on NES and listened to Nirvana in high school, and you also the have the 90s kids who grew up on pokemon and listened to Linkin Park in their formative years. They are all millennials.

It is the post-millemnial (iGeneration) that is fuzzy at the moment. When people bitch about millennials online it is usually this age group that are erroneously being referred to. We used to call them "underage b&" but some of them are old enough to vote and shave now.
>>
>>3652462
>We used to call them "underage b&" but some of them are old enough to vote and shave now.

I started on 4chan as an underage b&. Now I'm 28. How time flies.
>>
>>3652462
>Millennial is pretty well defined and a more common name for Generation Y.
Well it's not that well defined I'd say:
> There are no precise dates for when this cohort starts or ends; demographers and researchers typically use the early-1980s as starting birth years and ending birth years ranging from the mid-1990s to early-2000s.

But it's not that important. I agree, the key point here is that most posters here on /vr/ call "millennials" people who should really be called "post-millennials" or "gen Z". And it's ironic most of said posters are probably millennials themselves—in the literal sense of that word. As you've mentioned, actual millennials are not underage today: even a 35 years old can be considered a millennial now.
>>
>>3652347
It's just age-group tribalism where a kid born in 1993 thinks he's superior to one born 6 years later.
>one "generation" lasts 15 years
>the other one lasts 6 just so someone born in '96 can feel superior
It's all the same shit, there is literally no difference between someone who's 18 now and someone who's 24.

It's just a buzzword and I don't know why people focus on it so much. Maybe because people under 30 have been whining about le millenials for years and then realized they are one so they needed to find a new scapegoat. I have a /vr/ friend who's 19 and grew up with less technology than I did even though I was born in '92, you wouldn't be able to tell he wasn't as old as me or older from the way he acts. Let's argue about whether or not Halo should be allowed instead.
>>
>>3652347
That's a list of synonyms or what?
>>
>>3652501

Marketing jargon. Companies want to target/pander to Gen Z now since they are younger and more impressionable.
>>
>>3652496

I guess the start date is what is most debated when it comes to millennials. Late 70s or early 80 changes everything.

1976 is a good year because at age 4 they were the definitive "80's kid" and they went through star wars toys > masters of universe > Little GI Joe > Transformers and then they were the perfect age for the NES era. When the decade ended they were early teens ready for grunge and 16-bit gaming.

Starting it with early to mid 80s birth years you have post-Star Wars kids who were too young for any of the iconic 80s toys and they were more likely to be 16-bit kids.
>>
>>3652526
I guess there is overlap in terminology, but the ~1976 birth year group that you describe is definitely Gen X.
>>
>>3652347
>gen z
>self reliant
kids today are the whiniest faggots in history, what is this garbage?
>>
>>3652347
these are huge generalizations that depend so much on other factors like country and family.
>be born in 95
>soon-to-be divorced parents too busy fighting each other so i have to take care of myself as a kid
>not idealist
>>
>>3652535
That's Facebook-tier infographics from some social media expert

> Us:
> —smart
> —cool
> —humble
> —wow
> Them:
> —stupid
> —arrogant
> —pathetic
> —literal babies
> —obviously worse generation to ever live
> LIEK IF U AGREE
>>
>>3652347
>Why are there so many people on /vr/ in their 20s and early 30s ranting about "millennials"?
Because they're ignorant shits who swallow up and regurgitate whatever shitty media narratives they read while applying zero critical thought to them.
>>
File: 1477602391775.png (179KB, 500x358px) Image search: [Google]
1477602391775.png
179KB, 500x358px
>>3652347
>when developers actually cared to finish their games before releasing them.
>>
>>3652534

>the ~1976 birth year group that you describe is definitely Gen X

That falls in the transition years.

-5 year overlap between boomers/gen X (61-65)
-5 year overlap between gen X/Millennials (76-80)
-? overlap between Millennials & iGen (1995-1998?)

People born in the early 60s self-identify more with Gen X than as a Boomer (this was the KISS army and punk demographic). People born in late 70s have more in common with early millenials than they do with Gen X (80s kids, as mentioned in previous post).
>>
/vr/ - Demographics
>>
File: kenji_ohtsuki.jpg (30KB, 298x300px) Image search: [Google]
kenji_ohtsuki.jpg
30KB, 298x300px
Why is the gen Zer having 3 horns coming out of his head on the picture?
>>
>iGen
>self-reliant

Is this a joke? These people can't live without wi-fi, they get lost.
>>
File: 194342-mario64_world1_01.jpg (144KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
194342-mario64_world1_01.jpg
144KB, 640x480px
>>3652612
>>
>>3652615

iGen is also the generation that grew up with "youtubers" telling them what to think and what was cool. They are notoriously spoonfed.

They are the first generation to grow up without real role models.
>>
>>3652615

That's old-man thinking, anon. Wi-fi is ubiquitous. Using it is smart, not foolish. That's like saying you're not self reliant because you can't find your way without a map or roads.
>>
>>3652638

I'm not saying that you don't have to use it, but iGen aren't used to live in a world without it.

If the carrington event eventually comes, expect a lot of teenager suicide.
>>
Most millennials had their first real gaming experience with the N64/PS1 generation, which is when gaming went to complete shit. That's why.
>>
>>3652648
Kind of like how adults today can't live without electricity or a vehicle.
>>
>>3652669

Exactly, you got my point. Each generation is dependent to something.
>>
>>3652347
>Why are there so many people on /vr/ in their 20s and early 30s ranting about "millennials"?

Because underage users fell for the millennial hate meme. Why do you think we have so many YouTube e-celeb threads? Underage don't actually play retro games, they just watch AVGN and then shitpost about retro games on /vr/.

And lol @ that image. Boomers fucked up the economy, now they're scapegoating us because we aren't picking up the tab for their mistakes?
>>
>>3652692

>AVGN

They watch other stuff, like Game Grumps and other more "in" youtubers. AVGN is like the gramps of youtube and nowadays kids only mention it for the cuck meme.

It's like thinking kids still use Fancebook. They see FB as a mom and dad thing.
>>
>>3652478
>I started on 4chan as an underage b&.
I think most people do.
>>
>>3652347
Because not everyone has to believe that some group they're arbitrarily lumped into do to circumstances of their birth is full of wonderful human beings. Sort of like you don't have to like rap just because you're black.
Most millennials did not grow up in the golden age of gaming (mid 70's-80's). In true millennial form you just change that dates to fit your narrative. That comes from your sense of entitlement and belief that your opinion is as valid as fact. Some of the reasons your generation is so despised. And not just by other generations. The small portion of your own generation who is rational and undeluded is just as sick of your shit as the rest of us.
BTW. I like your pic. It gives me hope for the future of humanity. It also jives with my experience. I have kids across Gen Y and Z and would largely agree with those traits.
>>
>>3652347
What's with the brainslug on the Gen Z guy?
>>
>>3652769
>BTW. I like your pic. It gives me hope for the future of humanity. It also jives with my experience. I have kids across Gen Y and Z and would largely agree with those traits.

It's a bait pic.
>>
>>3652675
Yes and each generation seems to become even more dependent as technology evolves.
>>
>>3652858

Right. It's not like igen are only dependent to wi-fi. They also depend on vehicles like everyone else, and of course electricity.

If a solar storm eventually fucks up Earth's magnetic field and shit goes Komm, susser tod, the youngest ones will be the most disoriented.
>>
>>3652648
>iGen
Those kids are like 8 years old dude, their parents are more dependent on wifi and GPS than them.
>>
>>3652721
Stop projecting
>>
>>3652872

18 year olds are also iGen.
>>
>>3652892
>kids who were going into middle school when the iPhone was announced aren't used to a world without it
Huh? Do you think suddenly every kid under 18 had an iPhone in 2009?
>iGen aren't used to live in a world without it
I thought you were referring to people born after the iPhone was brought into existance, IE the only people who aren't used to a world without it. Most people my age wouldn't be able to handle living without their iToys even though technically they spent most of their existence without one.
>>
>>3652903

I mean the group on the left on OP's pic. Gen Z or iGen is both used, I don't mean specifically people that used the iPhone/iPod, they could have used a Samsung or Nokia phone, it's still the same generation.
>>
>>3652905
Regardless within 30 years almost everyone alive in the first and second world will have used a smartphone for most of their lives so it's pointless to bitch about it. Only kids that are under 10 now have grown up in a world where they've always had iPads and Youtube and Facebook and all the other bullshit, pretty much everyone born before 1999 was out of childhood by the time this shit became mainstream.
>>
Millennials have always been born in the 80s and early 90s. I remember one of my teachers using the term to describe the class when talking about generstions. This was in 2001.

The reason people bitch about millennials now is because they are finally relevant to the real world. It's just like how people bitched about Gen X/The MTV Generation in the 80s and 90s. They were becoming old enough to matter to society.
>>
>>3652912

A guy who is now in his 30s is not the same as a guy who is now in his 20s.
The guy in his 30s remembers how the world was before internet became mainstream, the guy in his 20s simply doesn't, as his first memories start roughly 15 years ago.
>>
>>3652932
A guy born in 1985 has spent more of his life using the internet than he's spent without using it.
>>
>>3652940

And a guy born in 1995 spent his whole life using it, doesn't even know how the world is without it.
The guy in his 30s experienced the process and saw the world change in that regard, the other wasn't aware because he was too young, his memories start when the internet was already stablished and society was using it for everything.

I think in modern times, there isn't 2 generations that are more different than Y and Z.
Boomers and gen Xers's main difference is mostly moral/religious stuff, and maybe color TV and walkmans.
But the technological change that happened between gens Y and Z, the internet, actually changed the world in a way color TV or walkmans didn't.
>>
>>3653028
True. That's why most starting dates for Gen Z hover around 1995.
>>
>>3652940
Most people didn't start using the internet seriously in the 90s, it took off in the early 2000s and didn't become the accepted normal until the release of the iPhone in 2007.
>>
>>3652874
He's right. Moot started this site when he was 15 year old boy with a lolicon addiction (until he grew up and became a generic Brooklyn hipster)
>>
>>3653106

>"most people"

Do you mean you?
>>
File: tmp_30037-9693d5049852241194.png (8KB, 570x428px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_30037-9693d5049852241194.png
8KB, 570x428px
>>3653116
No, nice projection faggot.

I used the internet in some way since Prodigy on a 14k modem but the average person considered it a bizarre and expensive hobby.
>>
I think the big change on the internet happened somewhere in the late 00s and early 10s, when social sites like Myspace started being actually popular, even among people that weren't "computer nerds".

It's easy to notice the paradigm shift because in the old days posting your own pictures on the internet wasn't encouraged, nowadays it's almost a requisite, you might be seen as a bit of a weirdo if you don't use a FB account with your real name and your actual picture.
>>
>>3653140
definitely. people before my time talk about "eternal september", but I think the social networking boom wrought even bigger changes.

the internet went from being dominated by anonymity to being dominated by irl mainstream stuff.

back in the days, you weren't supposed to give any personal details on the internet. now people put everything on facebook.
>>
>>3652347
It's mostly people born later trying to show off their "superior" taste to get the oldfag approval. I was born in '93 and I just don't care. pls notice me senpai
>>
>>3653140
>>3653148

And the funny thing is doing that typically just opens you up to having your real life fucked up by one bad post linked to your real name and photo.

I wasn't born until the late 80s, so I can't relate to the "eternal September," but I did witness something similar happen to 4chan. I can see where the old BBS users would be pissed at what the internet has become, just another place for "normal" people to go and shit everything up.
>>
>>3653028
>his memories start when the internet was already stablished and society was using it for everything.
You know that this didn't happen until like 2008, right? The internet was not "being used for everything" in the early 2000s.
>>
>>3653286
The internet was pretty ubiquitous, at least in the middle class USA, well before 2008. Through the 90s, maybe not as much, but by the early-ish 2000s it certainly was.
>>
>>3653286

By the early 00s internet was pretty mainstream.
Still not the social revolution that Facebook and social media caused, but everyone on the planet knew what an e-mail was.
I was a teenager at the time and I started meeting friends and even girlfriends thanks to the internet, chatrooms, irc, icq, msn messenger, bbs forums and what not. It was pretty popular especially with the youth. A person born in 1995 probably remembers these days of the internet from their early childhood.
By the time these people became teenagers, internet was already full on mainstream with Facebook and the like.
>>
>>3653290
>>3653294
Is that why over half of the country didn't even have an internet connection in 2002?
>>
>>3653295

I'm from a third world country and I had internet in 1999.
By 2002 I had broadband.

Still you can't argue that someone born in 1985 and someone in 1995 had the same experience regarding the internet.
the 85 guy probably has memories of amber monochrome PC monitors and DOS.
The 95 guy's first experience was probably some version of Windows 98 or Millennium.
>>
>>3653303
>you can't argue that someone born in 1985 and someone in 1995 had the same experience regarding the internet
No shit? It's just not a world of difference because not every single person born in '95 started using the internet the second they were born and not every single person born in '85 had this idealistic technology-free childhood. I had DSL from 2003 until last year and I was born in 1992. At least generalize by race or something, doing it by age is useless because for every 15 year old shitter that's been using the internet since the day he left the womb there's a 28 year old whining about those damn gen z'ers when I was a kid I was roaming the woods with my friends looking for a dead body not using the internet.
>>
>>3653295

Or they went to libraries, cafes, school, workplace etc.
>>
>>3653310

Of course I'm talking in general. There are exceptions, but yeah, as a general rule, 85 kids were born watching TV and playing stuff like Atari or NES, while 95 kids grew up with internet and PS1 or PS2.

There is a world of difference between TV and the internet.

>not every single person born in '95 started using the internet the second they were born

Of course not, internet wasn't as mainstream by 1995 yet (though I knew some people who had it, it was a minority/rich people).
I'm having into account that a kid born in 1995 used a computer for the first time at ages 4, 5 or 6, and by then, internet was pretty mainstream.
>>
>>3653140
>hen social sites like Myspace started being actually popular
Actually MySpace, *declined* around the late 00s. In 2008 it was surpassed by Facebook.

Its peak was 2005 to 2007, or the mid 00s.
>>
>>3653330
Yeah, claiming that myspace hit it big in the early late 2000s/early 2010s is way off.

I remember Xanga being a thing back in the early-ish 2000s, ha.
>>
>>3653330
>>3653335

Alright let's say Myspace is more like mid-00s.
Its peak was more like 2007 though, which is closer to late 00s.
Facebook started around 2008, at least I remember getting my account in that year, but it didn't really explode into popularity until 2010 or so, that's when I remember every fucking person I knew was talking about Facebook.
>>
>>3652462
I was born in 84 and my childhood has almost nothing in common with that of a kid born in 1990. Things moved on so fast at that time. Judging by how the world was and what we were exposed to as kids (technologically, socially), early to mid-80s kids were much closer to people born in the 70s than in the 90s. Rotary dial phones, cassette tapes, no remote controls at all, only three tv channels, we were still playing in the street most of the day. When people think "millennials", they think of someone who's playing with an iPhone at age 3.
>>
>>3652347

>12-year-old
>self-reliant

lmao 10/10
>>
>>3653361

Hey, he can tag all his classmates on instagram all on his own.
Were YOU able to do that at age 12 without help?
>>
>>3653361
hardly any 18yo is self-relient
t. 23-yo child
>>
>>3653360
A guy born in 1990 didn't have an iPhone at the age of three lel... unless he's a time traveller
>>
>>3652786
>bait
That's not how you spell accurate.
>>
File: Andino 2.jpg (10KB, 200x282px) Image search: [Google]
Andino 2.jpg
10KB, 200x282px
>>3653405

>gen Z
>self-reliant
>>
Gen X > Gen Z > Baby Boomers > Faggot Millennials
>>
>>3653413
>guillermo andino

my man
>>
>>3652347
This whole "Babby boomer millenial gen z whatever" autism is completely retarded and it romanticizes what people are actually like.
>>
I mean every generation has a group that sucks. Baby boomers, Gen X, Y, and Z.

I think it's the trendy scape goat right now.
>>
>>3653413
Compared to millennials they are. Sure, like a 36 year old millennial they may still live at home and rely on parent's for money. But they can at least microwave their own hot pockets. A feat that there mere thought of would send a millennial into an autistic rocking state and require years of PTSD therapy involving crayons and ball pits.
>>
>>3653521

stop rambling and take your pills.
>>
>>3653521
>years of PTSD therapy involving crayons and ball pits.
Seems like you could use some of that yourself.
Show us on the doll where the bad millennial touched you.
>>
>>3652347
How come gen z have a 6 year range while millenials have a 15 year range?
>>
>>3653545

It's a bait pic.
>>
>>3653547
Actually it's not, it was made by Ernst&Young (a marketing agency)
>>
>>3653567
>Ernst&Young (a marketing agency)
how the fuck do you not know this is one of the world's best known accounting agencies
>>
>>3653567
Google thinks it is about:

unisex bathrooms in europe
>>
>>3653567
So someone who nobody cares about the opinions of?
>>
Men stopped being produced en masse around 1990.

Now we're stuck with you whiny fgts
>>
>>3652347
I grew up on older games than were available at the time.
1990 here, didn't leave the nes/genesis and rarely the snes later for a long time. I got to try the 64 when I was 9.
The point of my blog here is that the age you were born is not a guarantee of your gaming experience, at least not entirely.
I know kids who like ocarina of time more than newer installments in that franchise.
Blame the previous generation(mine included) for growing up to make gimmicky scams/microtransactions(lol arcades are this)/idle "games"/muddy gun sims powered by diabetes and friends but only by pre-order and that one game where you pay IRL money to do the programmer's job of finding bugs
>>
>>3653540
Thanks for bringing that up. They don't need pills like you do. They pretty much work fine out of the box.

>>3653542
Of course I could. How could anyone function without PTSD crayon therapy.
>>
>>3653593
And let me guess, you're born in 1989 then?
>>
>>3652347
I think it's only natural for young people to look at other members of their generation and think "they've got it all wrong, why can't they be more like the generations that came before them?" I may be a millennial, but I don't think it's necessarily a "millennial" thing. We just happen to be the generation that's in the spotlight at the moment, like Generation X were 20 years ago.
>>
>>3653773
>20 years ago, when I was a baby, I totally remember the same shit being said about gen x
Of course you do. And your made up imaginary baby memories are just as valid as fact.
>>
>>3654239
I never claimed I remembered, dipshit. I was just making an educated guess based on things I've learned from people older than me.
>>
>>3653726
>They pretty much work fine out of the box.

Good one.
>>
>>3654516
>educated
kek
>>
>>3652721
I started as an old man. But you are what you are, in the end.
>>
>>3655092
You're only as old as what you feel. I was feeling, and doing other NSFW shit to, the gal who introduced me to 4chan when I started.. But that was over a decade ago and she was over a decade younger than me.
Damn. Makes you think.
She's probably old fat and ugly now.
>>
>>3652663
My first gaming experience was the c64. Ps1 is great. Xbox and online was when it went to shit.
>>
>>3652462
>Early millennials (born 77-86)

To each his own, but I always thought of Millennials as beginning around 1982.

All of the 70s are Gen X in my eyes
>>
>Millennial is a buzzword

No it very much isn't, and I'm not understanding the cognitive dissonance over 20-30 year olds chastising millennials. We're the outliers of our generation and we dislike our own age group. What's the confusion?
>>
>>3655472
>I'm not understanding the cognitive dissonance over 20-30 year olds chastising millennials. We're the outliers of our generation and we dislike our own age group. What's the confusion?
Eh, I don't really see that happening that much.

On /v/ and /tv/ and the like, whenever people rant about "Millennials", they are almost always referring to 12 year olds who don't know what a VHS is, not realizing they're Millennials themselves.
>>
>>3652361
>Millenial is a fucking buzzword that doesn't mean fuck other than "people younger than me and everything is all their fault and why aren't they buying the shit I want to sell them? PARTICIPATION TROPHIES."

This. It's also an economist boogyman who distract from the fact that evil babyboomers fucked up the world with corporate globalism.
>>
>>3655482
>On /v/ and /tv/ and the like
>going to retarded boards
Stay there, kiddo.
Thread posts: 102
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.