[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

OK, maybe I'm losing my fucking marbles here, but I could

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 15

File: hqdefault[1].jpg (17KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault[1].jpg
17KB, 480x360px
OK, maybe I'm losing my fucking marbles here, but I could have SWORN that when I was a kid that I did the Lete River Exploit for FF3 SNES withOUT a turbo controller.

It's like 15 years later and I'm trying to cheat by leaving this bitch on overnight and I can't do it because when I get the "Which way?" prompt holding down the A button won't push "Up"
>>
just emulate it senpai
>>
>>3651102
call me old fashioned, I just can't play these old classics on a keyboard. and if i'm gonna shell out money for a USB SNES controller I might as well shell out the same amount of money for a turbo controller, right?
>>
why would you even level here when you don't have any espers and thus no level up bonuses?
>>
>>3651193
because it's EASY AS FUCK
>>
>>3651096
You need to set the controller option to "Memory" in the options menu or something.
>>
>>3651241
Yeah that's jus to make it so that Banon keeps healing and Edgar keeps crossbowing. I doesn't do anything about confirming at menu selections.
>>
>>3651193
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaA71TntB1w
it's kinda like that
>>
>>3651124

Well but the USB thing would help you play many SNES games on PC, whereas the turbo controller would only help you with this one.

I got a USB adapter for my real SNES controllers a while ago... I use it for NES emulation and Genesis emulation too, now. It's nice to have such a thing.
>>
>>3651096
Removing all remaining challenge from an already easy game.

Trivializing the main gameplay element that makes it a game to the point where all that's left is a visual novel where you have to mash A from time to time.

kys
>>
>>3651274
If the game is a 1 on the difficulty scale, you might as well go all the way.
>>
>>3651096
I have a good idea. How about you don't cheat at all? You're playing out of the easiest games I can think of and you want to make it even more of a joke?

Well, the jokes on you. Your stats don't even increase on level up in FF6.
>>
>>3651284
I bet you're the type that just spams Vanish/X-Zone on all the bosses.
>>
>>3651274
>>3651308
I have a far better idea on how you do this...

Step 1
-stop playing FF6, and play Baldur's gate 2 instead.

Step 2
-play through Shadows of Amn with a dual-class-ready character until you get up to whatever level you want that would allow your character to be complete within 2.5 M exp points, and dual

Step 3
-get another 2 friends to do the same

Step 4
-start a multiplayer game with three characters, and two other people
-if you wish, you can bump this up to step 2
-if you can't manage getting two friends, you can skp this step and/or just start a "multiplayer game" alone

Step 5
-import your characters into Throne of Bhaal and have up to 3 highly flexed dual class characters, completely skipping the huge hassle of the long embryo stage

(if this is too awkward for you, it should be possible to adjust it quite a bit to make it even easier, if you or anyone would like)
>>
Which game has more challenge, Chrono Trigger or Final Fantasy Six?
>>
>>3652771
Final Fantasy Six

The only hard part in Chrono Trigger was the fight against Magus if you didn't grind to craft the equipment in the prehistoric age.
>>
>>3652771
ffvi

world of ruin is tough the first time. Its kinda like a megaman game, where not knowing about how to get all the good stuff first can result in some tough situations
>>
File: 1362960884713.png (28KB, 499x322px) Image search: [Google]
1362960884713.png
28KB, 499x322px
>>3652771
>JRPGs
>challenge
>>
>>3652771
The whole point of Chrono Trigger is to beat it in many different ways.
>>
File: tumblr_od5yktf9fG1qh59n0o2_540.png (303KB, 540x405px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_od5yktf9fG1qh59n0o2_540.png
303KB, 540x405px
>>3651238
If it's so easy, then, just do it!
>>
>>3651193
because the bonuses don't matter if you're level 99
>>
>>3652760
baldur's gate is shit.
>>
File: cover your ears, boo!.jpg (17KB, 244x361px) Image search: [Google]
cover your ears, boo!.jpg
17KB, 244x361px
>>3653117
Okay wiseass, why don't YOU come up with a massive exploit, along the lines of what OP has been counting on, for an acclaimed RPG??
>>
>>3651274
Fault of the game/genre, really. Chrono Cross sort of had this solved, you only leveled when you killed bosses, so no overgrinding to try and win. Also, a lot of modern RPGs put caps on the amount of experience you can get from enemies (So fighting an enemy only gives you XP when you're within 5 levels of them for example), also to prevent overgrinding.

No reason to deny yourself a useful tool in game because there's no real metric on what's the "right" amount of levels to have at every section of the game. You could very well call people out from doing any random encounters and say they should skip them all for bosses only.
>>
File: ironing, hell yeah!.jpg (37KB, 652x368px) Image search: [Google]
ironing, hell yeah!.jpg
37KB, 652x368px
>>3653267
>Also, a lot of modern RPGs put caps on the amount of experience...
Yeah, RPGs put caps on how much EXP you can get in a certain area, and in total, and in those players just end up optimizing for the maximum exp amount. Whatever you do, players will keep on munchkinning obsessively ... as has just been shown above, the exp caps just end up being another pivotal point to use to one's advantage!
>>
>>3653115
Once you're level 99, without getting any level up bonuses, your stats are the same as if you were level one. Only your HP has increased and otherwise you are just as weak. This stupid trick will make it harder to die (though percentage based attacks will hit you just as hard), but it won't get you through the game any quicker (and that's ignoring the hours wasted on useless no stat levels.) You'll do the same damage as always.
>>
>>3653352
Confirmed for not playing the game.

Your levels have a HUGE impact on the damage dealt in battle. They're much more important than your base stats.
>>
>>3653312
Exactly. You can balance encounters around the cap of XP you can get from a certain area; if you know the maximum level a player can reach is 20, then you balance bosses and areas around that level. If a player could theoretically get to level 99, but the area is balanced around them being level 10, then you've probably made a mistake in design.

Don't blame players for taking advantage of tools to succeed, if they weren't to be used, than a dev should be smart enough to take them out.
>>
>>3651284
What for? Why not instead use dig up an exploit for a game that actually can use it because of challenge. Like, for example, Tyrian.
>>
File: 9328745.jpg (221KB, 584x700px) Image search: [Google]
9328745.jpg
221KB, 584x700px
>>3653435
The PS2 game Mana Khemia has a neat way of doing it. The leveling system is like Final Fantasy X's sphere grid, except all the nodes are locked unless you have a specific item, forcing you to do the item crafting and exploration. Of course, Mana Khemia is an Atelier game so the leveling system works in tandem with the point of the game but without the time limit of its predecessors.
>>
>>3653435
Oh... I didn't mean it like that, but I do totally see where you're getting at ... such carefully balanced games do require you to put more care into powergaming if you're so compelled, and they don't get unbalanced remotely as much.

In FF6 there wasn't even any actual need for any of the more out of the way powerful things you could get ... like the Flare Star, Meteo or Shock rages, or Grand Train, Quasar, Quick, Illumina, Paladin Shield or Snow Muffler. Makes them a bit underwhelming.
>>
>>3653489

Yeah it's one of the many, many, many games that reward you for showing you can handle their more difficult challenges... by making things easier for you.

Like how sometimes an "ultimate weapon" will only be attainable by a player character who has already cleared every area in the most complete manner possible, or whatever... "You've exhausted this game's content and are probably tired of it, so here's a tool that you can use to make it even LESS fun!"
>>
>>3653489
I mean, I realize I'm complaining about a company who'd only had 10 years to practice RPG design and lacked the benefit of a multitude of other devs bringing their ideas to the table, but there is quite a bit of stuff that's just overkill throughout the game which subsequently makes it a disappointment.

IMO, this is really one thing that a lot of retro games suffer from; even as graphics improved, stories got more detailed, and general quality of life gameplay enhancements came about, balance for single player games was always took a backseat, which sort of diminishes the lasting appeal of a lot of retro single player games. Modern games would swing the pendulum too far eventually though and wind up overbalancing everything to remove anything interesting, but every once in a while a game comes along and really gets things right.
>>
>>3653352
Except level itself is a stat in FF6. Here is a part of the damage formula. Damage = Battle Power + ((Level * Level * Attack) / 256) * 3 / 2
You don't actually need to increase Vigor because levels already increase your damage. So power leveling without espers will still make you OP.
>>
>>3653528
Alright, but what FF6 did different is that it was just so damn much of a treasure hunt. So altogether, it gets quite absurd with how it "rewards" you. Like how collecting the lot of Gau's rages leaves you having to scroll through the list far longer to get at a particular one.

Effectively, it punishes you for being too power hungry, especially early on, since you can grind better later on, especially with getting spells far easier.

The spells are particularly influential in distorting it ... and, looking at it holistically, it's hard to blame them, that's exactly how the story goes! Magicite unbalancing the world and all. But it also messes with that ultra fancy cast of characters, making their special abilities count for so much less.
>>
>>3653352
>(and that's ignoring the hours wasted on useless no stat levels.)

You mean that entire night the game spent levelling up on auto while I slept?
>>
>>3654827
Precisely when did you do that?
>>
>>3652771
Neither have any challenge, except for a couple of tricky fights (Chrono Trigger has that sun temple boss for example).

People think FF6 is more difficult only because the world of ruin can be done in nearly any order, and some parts are *harder* than others. But the optional dungeons in CT are like that too. The sunken desert can be tough as hell from what I recall.

And CT gives you multiple endings some of which are a challenge to get - like the one where you take on Lavos with only one or two party members.
>>
>>3653528
>"You've exhausted this game's content and are probably tired of it, so here's a tool that you can use to make it even LESS fun!"

I look at that in the complete opposite way. The ultimate weapons that make the game cakewalk are there as a reward, they are there so you can more freely explore the world. You can now go and try to get, I dunno, draw complete dungeon maps, or try to do rare steals on all enemies, without needing to worry about survival.

Or you can bruteforce enemies which are not meant to be defeated with brute force due to inhuman stats.

Or to just give you that feeling of invincibility.
>>
>>3654960
>The sunken desert can be tough as hell from what I recall.

It's not. It can be a pain in the ass due to the necessity to keep casting Water spells, though.
>>
>>3654882
>Precisely when did you do that?

People used to do it a ton back in the 90s when emulators did not exist, and you played the game on either your SNES or your Playstation.

>>3654972
It's the one area I specifically remember to give me so much grief that I decided to come back later.
I don't remember any other place like that in FF6 at all.
>>
Holding down the A button works.

Are you playing a different version or some shit? I have no idea if FF6 has multiple versions.
>>
>>3655156
Is that for selecting a battle action, or for selecting a river direction?
>>
>>3655273

It should do both. Just tape the A button down after having selected the best routes and battle actions, and then go to bed.
>>
>>3653528
this is my very complaint about Symphony of the Night. You have to grind monsters to get swords that are either useless, or hideously over powered. and, late in the game, they are all useless.

I wish you could find rare and powerful sword in the mid-game, when it is more fun to exploit them.
>>
>>3655284
It better, there isn't any Berserk relic in the game, and you can't even get Umaro in the world of Balance.

But then, you can just equip everyone with cure rings and black belts.
>>
File: 1406769635779.gif (156KB, 220x245px) Image search: [Google]
1406769635779.gif
156KB, 220x245px
ITT: Retro Game Snobs claiming that an average-to-difficult challenge RPG is "really easy" because they've played RPGs that are more difficult by comparison.
>>
>>3655415
The only hard RPG is Chrono Cross because you can't grind past a challenge
>>
>>3655451
I found Chrono Cross to be pretty easy though. I think assessing challenge in RPG's can be a little convoluted, usually it just indicates how much grinding you'll have to do. Some games have incredibly tough fights that require an intense preparation.

FF7's weapons are a good example of this, the game itself is fairly easy but the weapon battles require you to complete sidequests to obtain endgame gear and basically exploit the most powerful abilities in the game to beat them.
>>
>>3655476
well RPGs, especially JRPGs, are pretty easy. except the ones with puzzles like Lufia II, but do puzzles make a JRPG truly difficult?
>>
>>3655483
The Dragon Quest series isn't! I mean, it is pretty damn *simple*, but it's also tedious, making it on the whole a particular flavour of hard.

So my presumption is that what makes an JRPG difficult is grind. And that it's also what instead makes most of them so easy, that it lets you grind though you're not supposed to.
>>
File: JXBS700B[1].jpg (46KB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
JXBS700B[1].jpg
46KB, 600x338px
>>3651096
>>3651102
Buy one of these
Great for comfy retro emulation. I was playing vagrant story in the bath earlier
>>
>>3654960
Nonlinearity can definitely easily twist things up, but I'd say that in FF6 it just means you just have to play the areas in the right order. And if you're going through everything, it ends up easy.

Just like Icewind Dale with Hearth of Winter, it's carefully balanced for sidetracking into the expansion pack areas at chapter 4 (of 6), which mean that it becomes abnormally easy playing the expansion areas in chapter 6, or continuing the normal areas after playing the expansion.
>>
File: 15928_189297.jpg (482KB, 1661x1491px) Image search: [Google]
15928_189297.jpg
482KB, 1661x1491px
>>3652821
Cause they don't bring over the serious ones.
>>
>>3655451
>Chrono Cross
>Hard
>>
>>3656715
Hard as in, it's the hardest you'll find. Even the hardest thing can still be easy
>>
>>3651096
i used rubber bands to hold done buttons on my standard controller.

the bad thing about power leveling that early is you don't have any espers to boost stats as you level. now i just wait and fight dinosaurs in that little forest patch before kefkas tower
>>
>>3655516
>FF6 it just means you just have to play the areas in the right order
But the very nature of the WoR means that's wrong. After the airship, you can do literally anything in any order. Certain quests are easier than others, sure, but the game isn't hard enough for that to be a barrier.
>>
>>3652760
Crpgs and especially BG are fucking garbage for D and D autismos.
>>
>>3657197
In the right order for it not to be hard. You can hardly get stuck anywhere, you can even cast Warp to get out of them, baring stuff like Cyan's dream.
>>
>>3654798
Bro...you can rearrange spells/abilities in the SNES FF games. Press Select.
>>
File: 2Q%3D%3D.jpg (13KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
2Q%3D%3D.jpg
13KB, 275x183px
>>3652821
>Spot the jrpg newfag
>>
File: le happy mario.png (11KB, 501x585px) Image search: [Google]
le happy mario.png
11KB, 501x585px
>>3658776
You can rearrange swordtechs?
>>
>>3657083
You can still use the power leveled characters as tanks. And they can still do decent damage with the kappa equipment, the equipment that lets you attack twice per turn, and the dragon knight jumping stuff.
>>
>>3659880
>squaresoft games
>manly
>playing a solid, real game

Pick one.
>>
File: FF6 scorched release.png (378KB, 480x720px) Image search: [Google]
FF6 scorched release.png
378KB, 480x720px
>>3659880
BG has BGtutu, GemRB and BG2toGate. FF6 has only it's own zombiefied abomination.

>>3657242
FF 4/6/7/8 are for depressives. And 2/3/5 are for off-the-deep-end-weeaboos, who are probably emokids anyway.

>>3659874
It's still a damn silly, not thought out idea. Just wait until you have Zoneseek and come back there with Celes, Edgar and Setzer, though one of them will still have to make do with a +1 esper cause +2 stamina is crap.
>>
>>3651096

You know what OP. If you're going to cheat just give your characters max stats at the start of the game and be done with it
>>
>>3660014
The lete river trick isn't even at all original anymore. At least playing the Japanese version and using the glitch to equip other things as helmets would be a bit interesting.
>>
>he didn't use Wind God Gau
>>
>>3651124
>and if i'm gonna shell out money for a USB SNES controller I might as well shell out the same amount of money for a turbo controller, right?

You're a special kind of fucking retarded.
>>
File: 1383493712258.jpg (38KB, 362x346px) Image search: [Google]
1383493712258.jpg
38KB, 362x346px
>>3666386
What even makes people believe in this stupid meme?
Like I've heard it so many times and it couldn't be any more wrong.
>>
>>3666621
>What even makes people believe in this stupid meme?

Anon was probably dropped on his head. A few times.
>>
http://www.insanedifficulty.com/board/index.php?/forum/133-final-fantasy-vi-brave-new-world/

I suggest anyone wanting a challenge/rebalance of FF6 try this mod.

Main selling point is no more needing espers on level up, characters gain stats as they level, level cap is 50, and magic/espers are spread out on characters to make them more unique/party combos more lucrative. Tons of other things, give it a read.
>>
>>3651124

>I just can't play these old classics on a keyboard

You can, you just don't want to. Cunt
>>
>>3666643

Stop shilling your retarded ROM hack. The lack of people replying to your persistent advertising should be a clear indicator that no one cares.
>>
Is there sny way to do sabins blitz that require diagonal motion on a keyboard? Changing the controls doesn't seem to help.
>>
>>3666817
You can do all of them without diagonals. There used to be some lists of what keys to press. Check GameFAQs FF6 walkthroughs.
>>
>>3666817
Left Left Up Up count as diagonal Left-Up
>>
>>3666817
>>3666848
It's one step simpler. Aurabolt is Down, Down, Left, flame dance is Left, Left, Down, Down, Right, and so on.
>>
>>3655376
You can get Umaro in the WoB. You just have to play half the game without saving and glitch shit out on the floating continent. Which will fuck up all the script triggers, allowing you to skip some, because you end up at the start, where you first saved, with an airship.
Then, progress certain scripts forward while skipping a few key others (Cave to south figaro specifically or maybe it was the boat ride. One of the two.) Get all the way to umaro. Then ride the script boat/cave thingy and you'll be transported back to the WoB because the script that was in waiting says you come out in WoB.

Bit overkill for the river glitch with berserk Umaro. But it would.
>>
>>3657083
I've on a few occasions power leveled the five first WoR characters to 99 so that when I get everyone else, they are default 99.

Yes, you can't max stats with espers.
But at level 99, it doesn't matter. Everyone is doing 9999 anyway.
>>
>>3668775
Can they solo through Kefka's tower? I think you'd want the +1 agility bonus for that, which you can't get in the WoB. Or even the +2 to stamina, cause that way you get stronger regen, and that could save you from near death attacks ... and you'd think that in the WoB there were annoyingly only two good stat boosting espers.
>>
>>3669660
>Or even the +2 to stamina, cause that way you get stronger regen, and that could save you from near death attacks

I think Regen caps at 255 HP, and increasing Stamina also increases the damage dealt by Poison and Seizure, due to a bug. Stamina does increase your chances of avoiding most Stone and Death effects, though.
Thread posts: 83
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.