[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Of these Final Fantasies, which is the best? I've already

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 123
Thread images: 13

File: 3iKmbPJ.png (376KB, 865x413px) Image search: [Google]
3iKmbPJ.png
376KB, 865x413px
Of these Final Fantasies, which is the best? I've already played IV, VI, and VII, so disregard those.

Also Final Fantasy thread I guess.
>>
V
>>
File: 15-capture_09082011_194816.jpg (18KB, 512x448px) Image search: [Google]
15-capture_09082011_194816.jpg
18KB, 512x448px
VI
>>
out of the ones you haven't played? IX
>>
>>3649812
II is the best of the NES trilogy.

VI is the best of the SNES trilogy.

VIII is the best of the PS trilogy.

X-2 is the best of the PS2 trilogy.

I don't know which is the best of XIII, XIII-2, and Lightning Returns. PS3

I don't know if XV is any good. PS4
>>
>>3649912
LR is the best of the three. Actually a good game, too.

Shame XV is shit.
>>
>>3649912
No way. I, V, VII, and X.
>>
>>3649912
II is best NES FF
IV is best SNES FF
VII is best PS FF
X is best PS2 FF
>>
>>3649812
V
>>
>>3649912
>>3649950
OP here, I thought everyone hated II?
>>
>>3650019
NP here, II is the best FF imo.
>inb4 you can hit yourself
Are you idiot?
>>
>>3650019
most people do, but it's the only NES FF I like
decent story for the time and unique gameplay
I never abused the target cancel bug or hit myself
I did however make all my characters target the same enemy in each battle. It prolonged battles but I also gained stats faster and I never needed to stop in one place to grind
Also, shields, ancient sword and blood sword make the game really easy and I ran away from any magic using enemy
>>
File: 1440362897482.jpg (2MB, 1050x1450px) Image search: [Google]
1440362897482.jpg
2MB, 1050x1450px
>>3649812
You need to play 9 like right fucking now. It's great.
>>
>>3649912
III is best of NES FFs
V is best of SNES FFs
IX is best of PS1 FFs
X is best of PS2 FFs

Also XV is great.
>>
>>3650019
/vr/ is contrarian as fuck even for 4chan so a lot of people here will swear by II as the best game ever.

Which is just as retarded as calling it a kusoge or the worst ever.

It's a decent enough game but not great and a lot of complaints about it are legit. It is also nowhere, NOWHERE, N-O-W-H-E-R-E as deep or customizable as faggots on here will claim.

That said,

III is best NES FF
V is best SNES FF
VII is best PS FF
Don't care about PS2 FF, X I guess
>>
>>3650190
>V is best SNES FF
>/vr/ is contrarian as fuck even for 4chan

indeed
>>
6 > 9 > 7 > 4 > 5 > 3 > 8 > 1 > 2
>>
>>3650204
Ya got me. I was originally thinking of putting VI since it's the most overall polished one, but let my bias show on this one. Let's say they're equal.
>>
>>3650217
>4
>over anything
*farts*
>>
>>3650220
Why fart? 4 isn't a Genesis game.
>>
Gameplay/battle-wise, which would be the best?

No Tactics or other spinoffs. That's cheating.
>>
>>3650220
>4 is bad

That's a nice meme you got there, anon.
>>
File: IMG_0707.jpg (147KB, 1230x858px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0707.jpg
147KB, 1230x858px
VII & VI were the best

Also I liked Final Fantasy Mystic Quest
>>
>>3649812
It really depends on what you like from the games. If what you like is story and ambiance, then IV, VI, and IX are the ones you'll like. If what you enjoy is combat and dungeon crawling, try III and V.

If you liked IV and VI, play IX next. You'll fucking LOVE it. It's seriously the culmination of all things retro FF.
>>
>>3649812
I love 5 and 2 - then 6. All 3 can be played on GBA(or you can emulate them.)
>>
>>3649812
>God Tier
6, 9, Tactics
>Great Tier
3, 5, 7
>Good Tier
4, 1
>Mediocre Tier
2, 8, Mystic Quest
>>
>>3650961
Mystic Quest gets its own tier, Mystic Quest-tier, and is in there by itself. Nothing is as bad as Mystic Quest.
>>
>>3650971
Tactics Advance 2, XIII and XIII-2 are way worse than Mystic Quest.
>>
>>3650973
Tactics Advance 2 is better than Tactics Advance.
>>
>>3649812
VI > the rest > VII
>>
>>3649812
My favourites are 2 and 5. I love 4, but a lot of that is pure nostalgia. 6 is my least favourite, bit it is still a great game.

I have never finished a PS FF. I've watched people play 7, and I know the story and have seen all the cut scenes, but... I just hate playing it. No 8 or 9 for me either.

I like Saga games, so I tend to prefer the games with lots of character customization.

>>3650019
2 gets a lot of crap, but it has a great story with an understated protagonist and a very interesting game system that lets you just play instead of grinding.

Really, as long as you don't abuse the stupid bugs in the NES version or play one of the other versions (I like the WSC version best, although the leveling algorithms give a slightly shorter curve) and as long as you avoid agonizing over stat increases, it's one of the best and most free Final Fantasy games.

>>3650190
>It is also nowhere, NOWHERE, N-O-W-H-E-R-E as deep or customizable as faggots on here will claim.

Huh? You have complete control over how you want to train your characters. You can completely roleplay and build them however you want, and if you look at the example characters provided by the plot there is lots of inefficiency going on.

Characters aren't meant to just be doing one thing over and over again, and you train them to manipulate the tempo of battles, reacting to the plot. If you train a character too much in something, they will lack the ability to resist specific effects in combat. The higher the level you train a spell too, the more it costs.

I really can't see how it lacks depth and customization. The game system promotes inter-character synergy and the player has so much control over character development that lots of people get lost in min-maxing and get screwed over.
>>
>>3650961
this is the only correct list im seeing.

X was fun but the characters were shit. XII was fun but the story was shit. XIII was shit.
>>
>>3649812
1: Boring repetitive buggy cliched shit
2: Like FF1 but even more broken
3: Inferior version of FF5
4: The oldest FF you could possibly get any enjoyment out of playing, assuming sufficiently low IQ
5: It's interesting for challenge playthroughs at least.
6: The one where you suplex a train.
7: Ambitious story, memorable characters, but introduces loading times so fuck this game.
8: Like FF7, except now the story makes no sense and the battle system is even more broken than FF2. At least you can disable random encounters in disc 1.
9: FF1 in slow motion.
>>
>>3649812
I'm not sure I would say it's the best one, but FF1 is my favorite entry out of those choices.
>>
>>3649812
9 is a work of art,i envy that you aint played it yet,i wish i could play it from scratch again :(
>>
>>3650190
>III is best NES FF
>V is best SNES FF
>VII is best PS FF
Correct.
>>
>>3651536
you are gaggin for a smack in the mouth m8
>>
>>3651369
>6 is my least favourite

You might be the first person who has ever said that.

Why do you feel that way? I'm interested to know.

For the record I think 6 is overrated as hell, but it's definitely not my least favorite.
>>
>>3651871
Not that guy, but while VI isn't the worst game in the series it's definitely my least favorite for the lasting impacts it had on the series. It's not fun, it's braindead easy to the point where it's tedious(see point 1), its mechanics are fucking retarded and nearly as poorly designed and easily broken as II or VIII's, and nearly everything it improved over V, like monster AI, was squandered on stupid bullshit, and worst of all it made all of these things normal for FF.
>>
1, 4, X/X-2, maybe even XII.
>>
>>3650502
FFIV for the DS because it's more challenging than the rest
>>
>>3649812
>Story
IX
>Gameplay
V
>>
>>3649912
>VIII is the best of the PS trilogy.
Don't lie to him.
>>
File: Amano_FFII_Cast.jpg (256KB, 760x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Amano_FFII_Cast.jpg
256KB, 760x1000px
>>3651871
The story feels like a scattered, disconnected patchwork; much like the game maps bunch of separate environments that only interact through plot scenes that I don't influence.

I enjoy some of the characters, and the story has its moments. Mechanically, the game play doesn't really stand out or give me much time and space to experiment with character customization.

I like the game, but I haven't played it in more than a decade. It's getting into the territory that keeps me away from FF7 and beyond, and other games in the series are more to my taste.
>>
>>3650142
this

>Also XV is great.
but not this
>>
>>3649812
9 is best

>>3649912
absolute shit taste; is probably a troll

>>3650128
>>3651549
bro

>>3651871
he's definitely not, it's just that we've learned that saying it comes with a holocaust of nostalgic butthurt

>Why do you feel that way? I'm interested to know.
ITS A TRAP

>>3649812
tactics is great, and try 12 sometime (and play for at least 12 hours; takes a while to get to the game proper)
>>
>>3649812
You can't go wrong with anything between I and X to be honest
>>
>>3649812
VI best SNES game
IX vest PS1 game
XII best PS2 game
>>
>>3649812
3, 5, 9. Forget the rest.
>>
>>3649912
>II is the best of the NES trilogy.
>VIII is the best of the PS trilogy.
>X-2 is the best of the PS2 trilogy.

This is bait
>>
>>3649912
Wow, you were literally wrong with every single one of those. Except maybe the SNES one.
>>
>>3652891
At least X-2 got a decent job system.
>>
>>3652883
Based anon.
>>
XII was pretty good. A+ Artwork for ps2. Very fluid gameplay. Good sense of exploration. The Story could have been better, and had a more influential villan.
>>
>>3649812
>No FFTactics
>>
>>3653105
and it should have been harder, but yeah, I completely agree
>>
>>3653557
The subterra was the best part of the game in terms of difficulty.
>>
Obligatory Vagrant Story post
>>
>>3649812

SNES releases:

IV and VI are the best. (US II and III).
V had a completely different feel to it and i didn't like it. It looks good graphically though.
>>
File: zeromus.png (27KB, 512x448px) Image search: [Google]
zeromus.png
27KB, 512x448px
>>3650920

Well spoken.
>>
>>3653591
Bravely Default is a better Final Fantasy game than most of the Final Fantasies
>>
>>3653612

Its not retro, its not better and it contains in game purchases with real money. Not to mention the second half of that game....

Never again.
>>
>>3653612
While it's a spiritual successor to Final Fantasy, one could argue that it's not actually a Final Fantasy game as it doesn't take place in a Final Fantasy land. Vagrant Story, while also not technically, Final Fantasy, DOES take place in Ivalice, the setting of Tactics and XII.
>>
>>3653624
>contains in game purchases with real money
You mean the easy button for people who are shit at the game? I agree with the second half though, ugh
>>
File: Here we go again.jpg (101KB, 500x568px) Image search: [Google]
Here we go again.jpg
101KB, 500x568px
>>3653626
Vagrant Story was retconned into Ivalice.
>>
>>3653628

Those potions you can buy, cost actual money. The art style is also not my cup of tea.
>>
>>3653634
Then don't use them, it's not like the game is impossible without them, even on hard mode which is pretty fucking cruel at times
>>
>>3653635

Good thing that game sucks. I would rather play FFIV and VI on my mobile. Fuck paying full price for a 3DS game with in game purchases.
>>
>>3653632
Tactics world, different story.
>>
>>3653637
Then don't use them, anon.
>>
>>3653643
Tactics is FF12 after everything regressed to feudalism following a disaster that wiped out just about everything but humans and monsters.
>>
>>3653650
I wasn't saying it wasn't. I'm just saying that VS should be considered FF because it is part of a Final Fantasy world (Ivalice) whereas BD is not (its own world). That's it. That's literally ALL I'm saying.
>>
>>3653654
Not trying to start a fight or anything, but if BD had taken place inside of say...the moon on FFIV then yes, it too would be considered Final Fantasy, as it's in a FF location.
>>
>>3653654
Vagrant Story was RETCONNED into Ivalice, and contains no references to Ivalice whatsoever. You might as well say that X-Files and Law and Order (and by extension; Homicide) take place in the same universe because John Munch appears in all three of them.
>>
>>3653612

Its not better then IV, VI and IX. (and Chrono Trigger).
>>
File: FF2_Emperor.gif (453KB, 768x672px) Image search: [Google]
FF2_Emperor.gif
453KB, 768x672px
>>3651369
>bugs in the NES version
>>
>>3653689
or V, XII and Tactics
>>
So basically I should play IV, VI, VII and IX, right?
>>
>>3653603
>V had a completely different feel to it and i didn't like it. It looks good graphically though.
>It looks good graphically though.

No it doesn't. Its a downgrade graphically from IV. And VI blows it away. 99% of the love for V is because of the job system. Which is a fun system in a mediocre game.
>>
VI. It's a generic choice for a reason.
>>
>>3653739

Skip VII (was good at the time). IX is Retro FF with a new coat of paint.
>>
>>3654018
>skip the best one
ignore this guy
>>
>>3654023

IV and VI is the best. VII is good but it looks like shit and lost its charm.
>>
>>3654026
>being a graphics whore
>le games can age meme xDDD

kill yourself
>>
>>3654028

Im not a graphics whore but that game really does look like shit. IV looks way better.
>>
>>3654026
7 improves on most of 6's failures, and the game was ripe with them. 7's combat is much better, the materia system is excellent, the story is much better and has actual fucking character development.

6 being a good game is a meme that needs to die. kefka is also shit.
>>
>>3654036
>story
7 > 6
>graphics
6 > 7
>game mechanics
6 = 7

Call it a draw.
>>
>>3654036

>7 improves on most of 6's failures, and the game was ripe with them. 7's combat is much better, the materia system is excellent, the story is much better and has actual fucking character development.

True. There is a romhack for VI that fixes many problems and improves the game making it the better choice imho.
>>
File: 1480561054936.gif (2MB, 330x166px) Image search: [Google]
1480561054936.gif
2MB, 330x166px
Unrelated but I started playing Final Fantasy XV.

Jesus Christ do I fucking miss turn-base gameplay. I don't mind this action RPG shit but turn-base in my opinion is WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY nicer. But I guess in 2016 turn-base is LOL EW BORING
>>
>>3654043
what's the battle system like? XII?
>>
>>3654047
It's a Kingdom Hearts clone. I love Kingdom Hearts, I really do and a perfect example of using say Fire in Kingdom Hearts you press the button and the fireball homes on the target. Very simple, works good. In XV to use spells you have to find it on the battle menu, select it, then aim it like throwing a grenade looking at it's AoE all during live moving combat.

It's a mess at times.And I think the most annoying thing is attacking, you just spam the attack button that's it.
>>
>>3654051
I see, doesn't sound amazing, but it doesn't sound as bad as XIII either
what about the other party members? can you control them, issue commands to them or set their A.I.?
>>
>>3654043
Turn based got dull somewhere in the 90s. There's such a lack of player interaction it has rotted to nothing. More games could've taken the Mario & Luigi route but noooooo.
>>
>>3654051
>then aim it like throwing a grenade looking at it's AoE all during live moving combat.
Reminds me of Soul Sacrifice, but no way it will be as good.
>>3654070
>There's such a lack of player interaction it has rotted to nothing.
Like?
>More games could've taken the Mario & Luigi route but noooooo.
Mario&Luigi RPGs are gimmicky garbage though, for me it's a good thing most turn based RPGs didn't' take that route.
>>
Whew, am I going to sound like a troll. Opinions, though.

FF1- Fun little NES game. Repetitive, sure, but the whole game's like 10 hours, and that's if you stretch it.

FF2- Great ideas, good story, and probably the only FF to really give you an open world (early on). Too bad it's way too easy early on to get your ass handed to you by wandering off too far. The inventory system is a pain in the ass, too. Nothing stacks, and you have a shitload of key items to carry around.

FF3- Hey, I loved it. A little TOO easy, but it's all in how you play. Haven't played 5, so I can't compare it. Really fun though, especially for an NES/FC RPG.

FF4- Only one of the SNES I've played to finish so far. Love the difficulty (harder one). The dungeons suck though, and I didn't care for the story. Maybe if you're a teenager, it'll hit you harder. I should've played it when I was 13.

5+6 are on my backlog. Don't really have any interest beyond that, but I've played through most of the PSone games.
>>
>>3654043
Yeah, I hate that Final Fantasy has drifted away from turn-based. If I wanted an Action JRPG, I'd just play Tales.
>>
>not playing iv, v, vi on the psp

plebs
>>
9 is objectively one of the best final fantasies.
/thread
>>
File: 7[1].png (15KB, 240x320px) Image search: [Google]
7[1].png
15KB, 240x320px
>>3650190
Enjoying 2 is not being a contrarian. 2 is actually the FF that delivers the best story/characters. All the complaints come from people who only can enjoy the combat.

It might help that i never played the original one.

>2 gets a lot of crap, but it has a great story with an understated protagonist and a very interesting game system that lets you just play instead of grinding.

And some might say that there are better FF with more likable characters. That's true, but what i most enjoy is the balance between story and interesting chars. They don't seem to be as infantile or plain as others more recognizable.
>>
>>3654218
what version is that?
>>
>>3654226
Looks like the phone version...which I'm guessing is based on the GBA version.

>>3654218
You're not wrong. But there's a whole lot of weird shit in it that makes a bit harder to enjoy

>No stacking items
>Don't use magic early on? You're fucked later.
>VERY open world from the get go. Wander too far, and you'll run into a Landturtle, who will wreck your shit.

Love the story and characters, though. There's no other FF like it (least that I know of).
>>
>>3654304
>which I'm guessing is based on the GBA version

The mobile port is based on the original Famicom version, with some graphical updates from both the WonderSwan Color version, and some of the original Famicom tileset with enhanced detail. (i.e. dungeons look like their generic Famicom counterparts) There are no new items or bonus features, and the difficulty is mostly similar to the Famicom version. I believe the translation is also completely different from earlier versions.
>>
>>3654070
I disagree. I think there's plenty of depth to be found in turn-based combat, and there's some great examples of turn-based games coming out today.

Bravely Default and it's Brave/Default system, however, is not a really great innovation of the concept. I works well for very specific instances, like Time Mages and Dragoons, but some of the ways they integrated it into certain classes were half-assed and not really all that great.
>>
>>3653612
How's the sequel to Bravely Default? Is its second half as shitty as the original's second half?
>>
>>3654070
You need to play Etrian Odyssey 4.
>>
anything past V doesn't feel like a FF game to me
>>
>>3654442
I did, and I loved 1, 2, and 3, also played Elminage Original and Gothic, and also Dark Spire, and SMTSJ and SMT4 but by EO4 I was starting to get really drained.

I've had SMTA sitting on my 3DS for ages now and I have no will to play it.
>>
>>3654456
Oh man, Apocalypse is so good. They take all the things that were unpolished in IV and fix it, and they even add some great new abilities and mechanics revolving around Smirk. It's honestly one of my favorite RPGs ever.
>>
File: Ffl_boxfront.jpg (49KB, 256x255px) Image search: [Google]
Ffl_boxfront.jpg
49KB, 256x255px
>>3649812

Protip, you forgot the best Final Fantasy
>>
>>3654663
but that's not a final fantasy game
>>
>>3654448
Yeah, FFV feels more like a fairy tale than the other games.
>>
>>3654663
Please don't lump SaGa together with FF, they're radically opposite series.
>>
>>3657095
>Please don't lump SaGa together with FF, they're radically opposite series.

They definitely didn't start out that way. Both Mana and SaGa borrowed several elements from FF, and even ripped much of their spells and items directly from FF staples. It wasn't later until the series branched off and started establishing more unique conventions.

SaGas 1 - 3 are very much Final Fantasy in spirit. After that, it's a whole other ballpark.
>>
V for gameplay, VI for everything else. IX is third best but should only be played with the PC port in modern times.
>>
>>3657186
>They definitely didn't start out that way.
They did though, SaGa is the natural evolution of FFII's design, which is to this day the most radically different FF in terms of design choices, the series was created quite literally to make something different from FF.
I'll give you Mana starting out as a FF Gaiden but even there it was a completely different game in concept with just a few cameos in the form of chocobos and reused FF sprites.
>and even ripped much of their spells and items directly from FF staples
Not really, especially not in the case of SaGa.
Unless you want to convince me that FF had any staple design element by that time or that DnD items or spells like Flare were something FF invented, I don't remember FF having chainsaws, glass swords, SMGs or literal nukes, don't remember having character races with heir own different growth systems either.
>SaGas 1 - 3 are very much Final Fantasy in spirit
Maybe GB SaGa 3, which was the closest the series got to the FF, and the least liked title in the series for that very reason. Even the DS remake fixed that terrible clusterfuck of decisions. The other games? Not really.
>>
File: finalfantasy7dirgeofcerberus.jpg (149KB, 640x930px) Image search: [Google]
finalfantasy7dirgeofcerberus.jpg
149KB, 640x930px
I'll just leave this here.
>>
III is the best of the third gen games.
VI is the best of the fourth gen games.
IX is the best of the fifth gen games.
XII is the best of the sixth gen games. Nothing after XII is worth touching.
>>
>>3659456
I liked XIII.
>>
>>3654663
well its a saga game but without a doubt its one of the most comfy games ive ever played

>>3654218
2's story is good, and the antagonist is well developed while also being a badass too
>>
>>3649812
NES: I
SNES: V
PS1: VII

Play V.
>>
>>3651046
tactics advance even was pretty fun
>>
>>3649812
Unpopular opinion but, I think they're all good.
>>
>>3662094
I respect your opinion.
Thread posts: 123
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.