[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>always hated metroidvanias >everyone says how perfect

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 11

File: PS_WiiUVC_SuperMetroid.png (316KB, 456x409px) Image search: [Google]
PS_WiiUVC_SuperMetroid.png
316KB, 456x409px
>always hated metroidvanias
>everyone says how perfect super metroid is
Perfect games don't exi..
>play this

And I still don't like metroidvanias but Super Metroid is probably by far the best one in the genre so it doesn't really matter. I don't even know what to say. The graphics, the music, the atmosphere, the controls, the level design, the game progression, no handholding - forcing the player to learn trough the level design, the game is just masterfully crafted.
>>
File: super_metroid_fan_art.jpg (917KB, 800x1102px) Image search: [Google]
super_metroid_fan_art.jpg
917KB, 800x1102px
>>3649439

Super Metroid and Zelda ALTTP are the best games developed by Nintendo for the SNES. Mario's and all the spinoffs don't even come close.
>>
>>3649439

>The graphics, the music, the atmosphere, the controls, the level design, the game progression, no handholding

> the game is just masterfully crafted.
>>
File: Hyper Metroid_00008.png (22KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
Hyper Metroid_00008.png
22KB, 256x224px
>>3649439
The thing about Metroid games compared to Castlevanias is that since they're missing the EXP based system, combat is more fair and challenging, and relies more on twitch controls. Some Igavanias do that too (though SOTN clearly doesn't), but not to the same extent.

Metroids can be great but I enjoy exploration more in CVs though.
>>
>>3649489

Super Metroid is better than all Castlevania's.
>>
>>3649474
>>3649495
>trying to throw other fanbases against Metroid fans

That's a good bait, actually.
>>
>>3649474
ALTTP doesn't even desrve standing next to Super Metroid. Super Metroid not only created a genre but is still the best game in this genre. ALLTP is fucking worse than the original Zelda on the NES.
>>
>>3649498

Its no bait, i have played them all and its my opinion. Mario is a cute platformer and Castlevania is excellent, but Super Metroid is perfection.
>>
>>3649439
I wish I could erase my memory of this and enjoy it like the first time again.
>>
>>3649502

>ALLTP is fucking worse than the original Zelda on the NES

Just...NO.

You misread what i said, They are the 2 BEST games created by NINTENDO for the SNES.
>>
File: 1472273174534.png (10KB, 507x401px) Image search: [Google]
1472273174534.png
10KB, 507x401px
>>3649502
>Super Metroid created a genre
>>
>>3649507
Just leave it as Super Metroid is the best game on the SNES by Nintendo. Even if it was true that ALTTP is on second place which I don't agree with, the game doesn't deserve the implication to be equal with Super Metroid.
>>
well that's unusual, someone who actually likes a game after hearing all the hype.
>>
>>3649514

>Just leave it as Super Metroid is the best game on the SNES by Nintendo

That we can agree on.
>>
>>3649519
Super metroid gets the super silver medal, with earthbound getting the gold.
>>
>>3649516
Or it could just be that he doesn't feel the need to pretend that he doesn't like something for internet chill points.
>>
>>3649527
The gameplay may be "comfy" but in the end it's still just pressing one button most of the time, with some bosses needing barely more strategy. You also have barely any customization options. Comparing something like Earthbound to gameplay perfection that is Super Metroid is hilarious. And it's not even like Earthbound tops Super Metroid in any other category. Even with music, Earthbound's strongest point I could only settle for a "just as good" as Super Metroid.
>>
>>3649536
Yep.
A game in which you only press one button is side by side with metroid.
Psst, I agree friend, we both know earthbound is superior. I won't tell anyone.
>>
>>3649541
>Earthbound is superior
That's funny.

Listen, the SNES had some top tier games, and the Nintendo-developed games were incredible. But Super Metroid is one of the most organic playing experiences ever, and that beats a satirical DQ clone.
>>
>>3649703
Listen friend, we are all on the same side here. Super metroid isn't nearly as comfy as earthbound is. It's good,but it's not great. And a game that forces you to go places isn't organic. Plus it isn't nearly as sought after as earthbound. You can grab metroid loose for 35$, but even a beat up copy of earthbound will run you at least 150$. And that's because everyone would rather have earthbound because it's more desireable.
It's not like you just lost, everyone wins. Everyone can play both games!
>>
>>3649775
Ok, so youre just a hipster with monumentally shit taste in vidya, yep I guess its a win in some respects.....
>>
>>3649775
He is right my man. Earthbound is a game that doesn't shine trough it's gameplay, it will never stand among the true greats. That you bring some irrelevant shit in like scalper prices won't change that.
>>
File: shoo.jpg (31KB, 450x337px) Image search: [Google]
shoo.jpg
31KB, 450x337px
>>3649795
>>3649791
>>3649703

These are the correct answers.

Now off with ye, hipster trash.
>>
>>3649775
For real, Super Metroid's gameplay is utterly impeccable. This game set the gold standard that all games could only hope to be like.
Just because a game is worth a lot more than another game doesn't mean that that game is better desu. Every room in metroid is filled with such wonderment and beauty with suprises around every corner.
It doesn't even matter that this game isn't "comfy", you can go be "comfy" playing whatever you want, I'm gunna be busy cuddling Samus.
>>
>>3649703
I don't like EB, but Super Metroid is meh at best. Just a hipster and try hard as EB now, luckily the prices are at least low, not for a game so mass produced, but lower than it could be.
>>
>>3649495
>>3649498
>>3649502
>>3649505
>>3649507
>>3649514
>>3649519
>>3649528
>>3649536
>>3649541
>>3649703
>>3649775
>>3649791
>>3649795
>>3649807
>>3649819
Jesus Christ, this whole fucking thread is just straight cringe.
>>
>>3649439
Gee, what a non-controversial and original opinion you have there OP. Now that you're done posturing can we talk about something else now?
>>
>>3649836
Check out the atari thread up right now if you want some controversies and banter.
>>
File: You.jpg (3KB, 125x122px) Image search: [Google]
You.jpg
3KB, 125x122px
>>3649835
>>
File: pearl cringe.jpg (39KB, 371x457px) Image search: [Google]
pearl cringe.jpg
39KB, 371x457px
>>3649819
>I'm gunna be busy cuddling Samus.
>>
I hate every single one of you.
>>
>>3650170
I thought this so many times. There were days I was really frustrated because I hated anons so much and I knew I had no way of killing one of them. And yet I'm still here.
>>
>>3650189
I totally agree. These anons are the worst. And I bet they really do actually think that metroid is better than earthbound.
>>
>>3650203
Earthbound is just some shitty JRPG that is pretty comfy because it plays in a cute modern world. Super Metroid is a perfect game.
>>
>>3650203
Nice try
>>
Metroidvanias are a meme genre. They might start out okay, but around halfway through the game your character always becomes too OP and game balance is thrown out the window as it turns into a cakewalk. Games like Ecco the Dolphin do "explorative action" right: no backtracking, very few upgrades, and level design that would make Metroid cry.
>>
>>3650203
Will you please just STOP. STOP.
Metroid is console perfection. It is a PERFECT game. From the architecture, to the story, to the protagonist, super metroid is flawless. Theres not a single game in the entire history of games that is better. Yoshio Sakamoto would spit on you if he could right now.
>>
>>3650170
Next time post it with the tripcode
>>
>>3649439
>>3650232
SotN is superior.

>>3649489
>combat is more fair and challenging
Super Metroid is not that hard. The only remotely hard one in the series is Fusion, and that's only medium difficulty.
>>
Why has there never been a, uh, "literal" Metroidvania? Like an actual crossover between the series? It would probably be terrible, but I'm surprised no one has even tried. All you need is some diluted "multiverse" premise and you're good to go; I mean, it's a fucking video game, not even a comic book, and one where the RPG elements balanced in favor of mechanics rather than story-heaviness.

Maybe there's some slashfiction out there or something but you'd think it would be a meme by now if it existed.

I've never even seen a shitty College Humor skit about it or anything.
>>
>>3649819

And the Autism-Award 2016 goes to...
>>
>>3649439
>no handholding
Please... It's one of the most braindead easy games of the gen.
Metroid 1 is better.
>>
>>3651786
Nah, Metroid on the NES is fine but it has crippling design flaws like there being no way to hold the ice beam and wave beam at the same time and horrible enemy placement with enemies being often times unavoidable when you get into a new room.

Super Metroid is also way harder than Metroid alone for the the more difficult platforming. I mean, the hardest platforming in Metroid is freezing enemies and jumping on them. You also don't get a direct continue if you die in Super Metroid like in Metroid, you need to start from a save point. This makes suicide attempts to get upgrades meaningless. You also restart with full health instead with 30 energy that you need to grind back up tediously in Metroid.

You could argue that Metroid is harder to complete since items are hidden without any hint to get them while in Super Metroid you get hints on the map, on top of the xray. But this is actually just horrible game design. Same a no save point before mother brain and tedious shit like that they did when they had no idea how to make something difficult and not difficult and annoying as fuck.

There are tons of other things Super Metroid improved. Shit like wall jumps that are difficult to execute. So many more control options with stuff like the speedbost charges. Super Metroid is the perfect sequel. It improved on everything and stayed completely true to its roots while attempting flawless game design.
>>
>>3649439
It's simply cause
>metroid-likes>>>>metroidvania
>>
I agree that SM is a masterpiece but it's a pain to play without the control freak hack or at least remapping some buttons to buttons that didn't exist on the snes controller. The physics were also wonky as fuck.
In all honesty the GBA entries were a lot more satisfying to play.
>>
File: AV7iFVXfPimC8FRU.jpg (880KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
AV7iFVXfPimC8FRU.jpg
880KB, 1920x1080px
I know this is /vr/, but:

I finally got around to playing this a week ago, and I gotta say it's pretty damn spectacular. It's not as long as Super Metroid or SotN, but it's still really good and I highly recommend it.
>>
Cause grinding is never fun and why anyone thought Metroid needed grinding is beyong me.
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.