[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just played this for the first time, had a fucking blast. I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 7

File: thotd.jpg (93KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
thotd.jpg
93KB, 1280x720px
Just played this for the first time, had a fucking blast.

I played the PC version in Arcade mode, is it worth it playing the original or Saturn version aswell?

Also, THOTD thread I guess
>>
2nd is much better.

Also, Stage 1 music in HOTD2 is GOAT.
>>
>>3648550
Man, you're queuing up some vivid Dreamcast memories for me now.

That crappy voice acting.

I shall destroy... and hate mankind! I am the Emperor!
>>
>>3648541
2&3 are on the Wii if that's your cup of tea
>>
>>3648541
Play it with a light gun if you can.
>>
Remember playing this game at the arcade with a buddy? Frantically shooting away at the screen? Popping in tokens to keep going?

Those feels, man.
>>
>>3648541

The graphics are very poor in the Saturn version relative to the arcade original, not only because the Saturn was weaker but supposedly the game shipped when it wasn't entirely finished. Pretty sure the PC is similarly inferior.
>>
>>3648541
One of the funnest series ever.

>>3648639
THIS.
>>
>>3648541
Saturn port of the original was poorly done.
>>
File: IAmABurritoOfSaddness.jpg (21KB, 420x509px) Image search: [Google]
IAmABurritoOfSaddness.jpg
21KB, 420x509px
>>3648541

I used to win this game in the arcades with one coin

I had a callus inside my index finger

nowadays I probably could not hit the coin in the slot
>>
>>3648709
>>3648720
It's a shame, Virtua cop 1 and 2 are fantastic conversions so I have to believe that it could have been done better. What's worse is that it's basically the only version of the game you can get with proper lightgun support.
>>
>>3648550
>2nd is much better.
but the voice acting in that sounds like shit and the 40's b type japanese horror film ambience is gone.

both are equally as good, but I remember this one more fondly.
>>
I have been watching a video of the Saturn version, do you even aim? Or just shoot? Where is the fun in that?

I wish I could play the arcade version

>>3648634
I don't have a Wii, but I guess the PC versions should be as good?
>>
Strongly recommend Hotd2. That was worse than crack for me. Couldn't stop playing.
"Suffer like G did?"
So many good times.
not retro, but hotd overkill is pretty good fun too[\spoiler]
>>
File: HOTD.jpg (175KB, 1242x717px) Image search: [Google]
HOTD.jpg
175KB, 1242x717px
AW NAH
>>
can you play this online?
>>
>>3648709
>>3648720
>>3648937

The Saturn was on life support by the time House of the Dead got ported, so Sega probably didn't want to put more time and resources into it than necessary. If I remember correctly, they couldn't even be bothered to preserve the source code to the original. That alone speaks volumes.
>>
File: typing_of_the_dead.png (134KB, 500x276px) Image search: [Google]
typing_of_the_dead.png
134KB, 500x276px
>>3648639
>Play it with a keyboard if you can.

Fixed.
>>
>>3648541

Virtua Cop 2 is also a fun game that can be played on PC.
>>
>>3648550
True. The voice acting is top notch and you have the ability to levitate your keys to your partner. How fucking cool is that?
>>
I'm playing 2 on PC now, with the mouse. It doesn't have the charm of the first one, but it still is a lot of fun.

>>3652339
I played a Virtua Cop game that came with a compilation of SEGA PC games long time ago, possibly it was VC2, fun game.
>>
HOTD2 for Dreamcast on a rear projection TV with a Sega brand imported light gun was probably the best shooting game experience I ever had. Saturn port of 1 is cut down, arcade cabinets are hard to find and expensive, pc versions use mouse type aiming, ditto for wii versions, good luck getting an absolute position light gun to work for mame.
>>
>>3648541
It's really hard to explain but the Saturn version is not worth it. For one the PC port is just a port of the Saturn port so you already experienced it but also the Saturn port with a light gun is plagued with some type of lag that causes the game to recognize you pulled the trigger like a second and a half later fucking up your aim if you're trying to shoot multiple things in a hurry.
>>
>>3648541
Played this with a friend at a local games store for the first time yesterday and had a blast. Can't wait to try the next two, but I love lightguns so I may have to go looking around for them
>>
>>3648550
>Also, Stage 1 music in HOTD2 is GOAT.
It's decent but nowhere near as good as st1 from the first game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WGnP3AgSB0
>>
>>3648937
Xbox port of HotD 3 uses a light gun. Also the arcade board of hotd 3 is based on the Xbox so it's a really good port. It has an unlockable hotd 2 port on the disc as well. Hotd 4 never used a real light gun it was the first HD arcade game. If I'm not mistaken hotd4S arcade bad is based on the ps3 so that port is really good too.
>>
>>3648937
Correction the lindbergh and ps3 use a similar gpu.
>>
>>3650343
You aim, there's just no reticle on the screen.
>>
what are the odds these old titles could get ported or remade for one of these new VR platforms? could it even work
>>
>>3657352
>>3657352
>what are the odds

0%
>>
>>3648541
You should play Typing of the Dead instead
>>
>>3657447

Sadly, I imagine that the only way we'll ever play a good official release of the game is to play it on an original PCB. It probably just wouldn't be profitable for Sega to go through the trouble of reprogramming the game from scratch, since apparently the source code was lost. I managed to get an original cabinet of it a few years ago, though, so I'm happy about that.

Apparently there were some scrapped bondage-themed enemies that Tantalus discovered when they received the assets from Sega to make the Saturn version:

http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=36064&pid=872691&st=0&#entry872691
>>
>>3657510
forget the stupid bondage zombies, how could you not mention JUDGE DREDD was almost in the game.
>>
File: tod2-2008-11-28-23-57-12-71.jpg (156KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
tod2-2008-11-28-23-57-12-71.jpg
156KB, 1280x1024px
whats crazy is that typing of the dead 2 has you typing japanese words but in english
>>
>>3657553

Who knows what the Judge Dredd stuff is about. Maybe the original design of the game was Dredd-related and they took it down a different route when they couldn't secure the license or something, or maybe they were some sort of test textures, or maybe even things that someone working on the game made while just dicking around. Too bad we'll probably never see the entirety of that drive, it'd be fun to poke around in the original Softimage scenes.
>>
>>3657619
Can you turn off the Romaji? Might be a fun Japanese learning game.
湯煙温泉美人女将殺人事件
>>
>>3657480
See
>>3651887
>>
>>3657619
>whats crazy is that typing of the dead 2 has you typing japanese words but in english
Do you think Japanese keyboards are magic or something? They use the exact same keys, dude, it'd be impractical to have a 50 key keyboard.

>>3657830
It'd be a trainwreck. Even the best occasionally stumble on a kanji, or its specific reading in an uncommon jukugo. As for learning, the game loses a lot of the fun factor if you're stumbling through phrases on easy, and you won't even know what half of them mean anyway.
>>
>>3658190
>it'd be impractical to have a 50 key keyboard.
Kana input would like a word with you.
And that's not touching crazy shit like thumb-shift.
>>
>>3658364
Kana input is a clusterfuck. Anything that expects me to reach up to the number row on a regular basis deserves to die.
>>
>>3658371
That's Chinese.
>>
>>3648541
Download the Model 2 emulator and play the original arcade version instead. The Saturn port (and the pc version it served as the basis to) isn't complete trash, but since you're already playing on a pc might as well go for the real deal.
>>
>>3648592
..Like G did! (?)
>>
>>3658385
Kana input does it too. Thumb-shift looks alright, but it requires you to buy a specific keyboard with 2 space bars.

>>3658386
The problem with emulation is getting a light gun. I'd go for the inferior Saturn version with a stunner over playing it on PC with a mouse or one of those shitty Wiimote knock-offs.
>>
>>3658371
Typing Japanese is a clusterfuck. It's inevitable with with the language has become. 2-3 alphabets plus kanji all mixed together.
>>
>>3650358
>>3648947
>>3648592
DOGS OF THE AMS...
TIME THEY MADE A MOVE
>>
TO PROTECT THE LOOIYF CYCLE!
>>
>>3659115
t. someone with no understanding of Japanese
>>
OUR NEW RULER
THE EMPRERRER
>>
>>3659223
Project much?
>>
>>3659218
HOW COULD ANYONE DO THIS?
>>
~i don't wanna die~~~

MY GOD.
>>
>>3659331
I AM... I AM...
>>
File: Akimbo_fun.jpg (662KB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
Akimbo_fun.jpg
662KB, 2592x1944px
I enjoyed playing these with my cousins. The guns needed their own power bricks and pausing is needed because the weight of the guns is rough for a long playthrough, but you can't deny the fun to be had on a CRT screen.
>>
File: Everybodys_looking_for_something.jpg (671KB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
Everybodys_looking_for_something.jpg
671KB, 2592x1944px
Getting two friends together with a high words-per-minute count together made it sound like mowing down zombies with gatling guns. Silly and brings a smile to our faces.

(I also think the new PS4 commercial is pretty cool)
>>
>>3659115
You type is as you speak it. Switching between homophones isn't that much of a deal.

>>3658371
I have to do that all the time for numbers and special characters so it never really bothered me.
>>
>>3660471
I found that gun absolute garbage. The pedal just doesn't work half the time, and it's at a really dumb angle that's a hassle to use. I wound up buying a portable rockband pedal that works perfectly and has a nice low activation distance.

The recoil was weak at 12V, the gun sights are fucking fused across so you can't even look down them, and mine came with a manufacturing defect in the lens that made it incredibly inaccurate. The plastic on the top rattled a lot because the molds were garbage and it didn't sit in the channels properly.

If you've got a decent 24V PSU lying around, they might be worth a punt. I tried with a cheap one but the voltage leakage just fucked everything up, if I find one that works I'll probably take out the circuit board and wire it up as an interface board to use my arcade Namco gun on PS1 and Saturn.
>>
>>3651671
They wanted to finish up all Saturn projects as quickly as possible and then switch to Dreamcast development.

HOTD and TOCA were both victims of this, they were extremely rushed.

The source code getting lost is due to company mismanagement, but what can you expect from a company that went through so many pitfalls? I lost count as to how many times they merged/almost merged/had a merging cancelled with another major company, have been restructured, or have almost went bankrupt.
>>
>>3648541
The first HotD is definitely my favorite.
>>
Anyone know where to get Typing of the Dead?
The one on TPB seems kinda sketchy.
>>
>>3662952
Ebay.
>>
>>3660493
Strange, both of mine works fine. Granted I mostly played the Saturn lightgun games, but the pedal worked for Time Crisis for me. Its angle I think was designed for a seated player instead of standing as the arcade had it. If a Rockband pedal is just a plug and play replacement, that's great news in case I ever need a replacement, thanks for the info!

As for the force feedback, one of them is pretty strong to me, the other one is slightly weaker. I've only ever used the power bricks that are included with the guns, I would fear using a different one may damage them.

I got these lightguns because I loved the Time Crisis (1 & 2) arcade lightguns with the moving slide (imitating the feel of a shell casing being ejected from the barrel). I don't think there were many home console lightguns which offered that feature at the time. After calibrating the guns with the in-game options, the accuracy is pretty good for me, sure it does not match the accuracy of the arcade cabinets, but acceptable to me. I think I got them for around $20-25 each which is pretty costly for a peripheral for use with those few games I have pictured, but I am glad to have them as playing lightgun games with a controller is not as fun to me.
>>
>>3662952
theisozone.com
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.