[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the best option for a retro TV box? I'm not planning

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

File: donkey_kong.jpg (152KB, 1143x946px) Image search: [Google]
donkey_kong.jpg
152KB, 1143x946px
What is the best option for a retro TV box? I'm not planning on building one right away but to my knowledge the best options right now are a Raspberry Pi, a PC, or an FPGA computer. The latter option is a lot more exotic though and the options that are specifically for gaming are pretty expensive from what I've seen, and right now they only work with emulating certian systems. Best example I can think of right now is the Turbo Chameleon 64 and that thing costs like $200 plus the dock to plug it into.

The RPi option seems really simple, but is it powerful enough to emulate stuff like N64 games well? It doesn't need to be good enough to run Dreamcast, PS2 and Gamecube because that stuff isn't quite retro enough that I feel like I need a dedicate box to play them on (although it would be a nice bonus).

I've built gaming PCs before and I like the idea of building a little console-sized PC just for retro games, but it would be more expensive than an RPi and the process of setting everything up would be a lot more involved. It would also end up being a lot bigger than an RPi and being more power hungry, but I have no experience with the RPi platform so PC is more familiar to me.
>>
>>3643371
I should also mention that having analog output options (composite, component, or SCART) would be a welcome feature too but isn't a requirement.
>>
>>3643371
Lol this is kind of cute. Are there mini (but not christmas ornament sized) video game console models a Raspberry Pi could go inside?
>>
>>3643371
x86 box, Rpi is weak and its nice to have a windows based setup for other things, or if you already have a desktop with an extra pci slot, just slap a cheap hd4/5/6/7XXX card in it and run it to a crt for a second display
>>
>>3643443
Yes.
Look up 3D Printed Consoles
>>
File: 20160727_181044.jpg (121KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
20160727_181044.jpg
121KB, 1600x900px
>>3643443
>>3643464
>>
>>3643461
Out of curiousity I checked Newegg and I was surprised to see that there does actually exist a low-profile GPU that is not a complete potato.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125680&cm_re=low_profile_gpu_gtx-_-14-125-680-_-Product

A 2GB GTX 750 Ti isn't exactly cutting-edge but it's not shabby either. If I was to go that rout this could potentially be much more than just a simple box for playing old Nintendo games, but I'd have to weigh it. At that point it'd be a full-on consolized gaming PC (even if only a modestly powerful one) and I'm not sure if that's a project that I want to dive into until I have my own house.

I guess it's a fundamental question of whether to go as small and cheap as possible or go for something in the medium price range, and the latter category could easily end up costing the same as a new game console if I were to get carried away. Used parts is something I should probably also consider. Maybe find a nice cheap AMD CPU or APU to stick in there.
>>
asking /vr/ about emulation is like asking /g/ about consumer electronics.
>>
>>3643371
RPi is a poor choice for emulation. It's not just the power; RetroPie has a horrible amount of input lag. You'd be much better off with an x86 mini PC.
>>
File: 20160727_181304.jpg (268KB, 1423x1600px) Image search: [Google]
20160727_181304.jpg
268KB, 1423x1600px
>>3643502
That thing is fucking insane
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.