[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I need to get this off my chest, I'm pretty sick of these

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 6

File: at least 80s vcrs still work.jpg (800KB, 2500x1406px) Image search: [Google]
at least 80s vcrs still work.jpg
800KB, 2500x1406px
I need to get this off my chest, I'm pretty sick of these fucking things. They never work. I've tried boiling pins, buying new ones, they never work as intended. At best you'll get one game to work and the next one you put in, grey screen. blue screen, pink screen, nothing. You tilt the cartridge to the right, to the left, you get a jumbled mess of data. The wings of a butterfly flap so perfectly on the opposite side of the world, the planets align, the game magically finally fucking works until the next time you start it up. Stupidest design ever. I've ordered new pins, and they only work when the cartridge isn't depressed? The fuck? Some games work when the cartridge is depressed? This is stupid.

I can deal with disabling the lockout chip. I can't figure out why the lockout chip would be going off despite a legit cartridge being inserted. The hell is wrong with this thing?

Is there any way to get these pieces of shit working reliably? Like at least 75% of the time? No fucking around constantly, cleaning, re-cleaning, brassoing the fuck out of it?
>>
Better just buy a NES CLASSIC MINI rite? My wife and I love ours!
>>
>>3641548
I've never had that kind of problems. sure, games don't load sometimes cause the thin is a bit old. but it isn't that bad
>>
>>3641556
how is your wife's son doing?

>>3641557
I spend a lot of time fixing these things and I still get returns. I just want to know if there's a way to get them running reliably.
>>
>>3641562
probably not. but I've heard that baking the board works very well with old computers since it re-assents weak/broken connections inside the machine itself
>>
This is why I purchased the AVS.
The old NES are just too fucking old and shitty.
>>
>>3641548

Ditch the damn thing and never look back. Nes emulation on Wii is basically 100% BTW and has no noticeable input lag with the GC control.
>>
File: 1466954307594.jpg (50KB, 490x490px) Image search: [Google]
1466954307594.jpg
50KB, 490x490px
>>3641582
>>
Haven't used my childhood NES in years, but my Famicom works great. Easier to clean the pins, easier to play non-native region games. Seems to work pretty reliably for me.
>>
>>3641586
the main issue all seems to come with the retarded spring lever cartridge mechanism.
>>
>>3641548
Dude. I have cleaned literally hundreds of nes's, and every single one I have cleaned I have gotten to read games on the first try every time.
I know people that have the same problem you are having. And I always offer to take a shot at "fixing" it. And after cleaning Their systems that they "already cleaned" while they swear to me up and down that it won't work, like some form of fucking voodoo magic, there they go working fine and ready games on the first try every time again.
The reason why ur having problems is because the system is still dirty. If you are using a "brand new" third party pin connector you have to clean it out of the box. Every new pin connector I have ever used was dirty upon receiving it.

Also you have to really clean all of your games. This is what usually fucks most people up. clean system + dirty games =dirty system again.
>>
I have 3 NES 01 consoles, one works almost every time, don't even need to adjust the cart usually. Other one works but often needs games with hyper clean pins. Lastly I have what I call the 'freezer' - basically it takes a long time to get it adjusted before it will boot and when it does the games glitched so it needs to be slightly inched into place before it works properly - then after about 20 mins it will randomly freeze and produce a gnarly tone sound.
>>
OP, probably have a bad power supply/AC adapter, or weak caps.

Because the lockout chip is mostly triggered by irregular voltage changes, a bad connection (the pins) can cause it, but since you've already replaced that then it could be a deing AC adapter thats not feeding the system a consistent voltage. Its frankly more common then the pins being worn down really.

Try a new AC adapter that has the same output as the official one.
And if it still dosn't work, its probably a bad cap on the main board.

Cliping the pin on the lockout chip will at least make it less sensitive to voltage changes and might be good enough to get your going, but would really just serve as a band-aid.
>>
>>3641548
Did you try blowing in it?
>>
Google "Blinking Light Win'. You won't be able to 'push down' the games anymore, but it makes this model of NES not bluescreen anymore. I haven't had an issue since I installed one.
>>
>>3641548
Just get an NES-101.
>>
>>3641634
sounds like the solder points below the pin connectors are bad, try adding some fresh solder to them.
>>
File: Nintendo Press Conferences.jpg (402KB, 1300x778px) Image search: [Google]
Nintendo Press Conferences.jpg
402KB, 1300x778px
>>3641548
All you need is a metal pick and twenty minutes to bend the pins back yourself. It works. You're just incompetent.

The fuck are you boiling shit? This isn't a Virtual Boy, motherfucker.
>>
>>3641548
Bend the pins back and make sure the cartridges are clean. Clean them with brasso to remove corrosion, then iso to remove the brasso and then only iso from there on out to remove dust. Don't blow on them. Don't push them down when inserted. My games work 90% of time. If they don't I just reinsert them until they do which only takes a few tries.

Alternatively What ,>>3641714 said.
>>
>>3641913
Boiling the pins works insanely well for helping to fix bad connections.

I have a blinking light win in mine, which seems to work perfectly. It's tight as shit and I need to use pliers to get them out sometimes. But I use a cloth as to not marr the finish.
>>
>>3641615
Dood! Me too!

Did you grow up with a NES, because that's my explanation. I can make almost any game work in our giant collection, especially when others have given up on them. I have the magical fucking touch for making carts work.
>>
>>3641548
Sure it's not your games? Mine was having all kinds of trouble running my old games no matter what I did with the pins. I recently bought an Everdrive though and it always works 100% perfect one the 1st attempt plugging it in without having to fiddle around with the cartridge.
>>
File: licu.jpg (18KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
licu.jpg
18KB, 480x360px
Not OP, but I was wondering if it's ok to use an old used toothbrush to clean the NES/Famicom contacts or if I should use a brand new one.
>>
>>3641937
Sounds like you should just grab a Toploader then.
>>
>>3641548
my pin connector worked 25yrs until I got out of college and I because shit. I bought a new one from a trusted store online and it takes a single signature blow of mine (shirt on the cart, blow deep 2 times, left side and right) and the game always works.

Im not a believer in blowing makes it work, but that blow never fails. I can blow normally, like any 6yr old kid would have in 1986, and its a 50/50 shot. My "filtered" blow always works.

New pin connector is virgin mary tight, but its connected. Observing mine and the new one I can see how worn out mine got after 20+ yrs of yearly use. Those first 10yrs I can guarantee it always had a game in the slot keeping those pins bent.
>>
>Atari 2600
>Colecovision
>Genesis
>SNES
>Gameboy
>Gameboy Color
>Gameboy Advance

All of these "just work" when I insert a cartridge. Just how bad are Nintendo's engineers to fuck something so simple up this much?
>>
>>3642098
Also add C64/128 and Virtualboy to that list
>>
>>3641556
Not spending 200$ for some reseller faggot to make 150$ off me.
>>
>>3641580
>baking the board
Please, for the love of god do not do this in your regular oven. You will probably be poisoned the next time you cook food in it.

The technique you are (technically) doing is called reflowing, for smaller jobs you can just reflow most retro stuff by hand with a soldering iron, or if you're serious about doing this multiple times a reflow oven or station. But please, please do not actually do this in a regular conventional oven.
>>
>>3641582
Love that ald NES controller though
>>
>>3642037
wet a cartridge up with some isopropyl alcohol and insert and remove it rapidly in the consoles pins. Clean the cartridge, repeat a few more times. You'll remove a lot of built up dirt this way.
>>
Why the fuck are people still talking about the pins on the NES when the OP right off the bat says that they were replaced even? There are other components to an NES then just it's contact pins.

OP, see >>3641652
>>
>>3642545
OP here, I work at a store and have tried different power supplies when necessary. In fact we have tons of new third party ones which we use occasionally. I think next time I'll experiment with using more third party ones to observe if I get more consistent results. NES' cost a lot of money and customers returning them isn't helping anything. At the end of the day I'm just trying to improve at my job.
>>
>>3642549
Given the age of the original manufactured power adapter I wouldn't trust any of them any more to keep the system in the very specific voltage range the lockout chip wants to operate in.
If you're not clipping the pin, then going with a new 3rd party power adapter is totally the way to go.
>>
>>3642554
Disabling the lockout chip is actually part of my mandatory routine for every NES I get in. Still get less than desirable results. I'll try that and packing the system with a new third party AC adapter.
>>
File: boyaintright.jpg (12KB, 301x265px) Image search: [Google]
boyaintright.jpg
12KB, 301x265px
>>3641582
>playing NES games with a GC pad
>>
>>3642098
I've had gb/c games that I had to jiggle a little but to get them to load properly, not often though.

The issue with the NES was the loading mechanism.
Ninetendo didn't want the NES to look like a game system when they released it in america, so they redesigned the famicom to look more like a VCR, giving us the NES.
Problem is, there's loads of moving parts and connections to be made, so it's not the most reliable after 30 years
>>
File: WP_20151016_19_29_39_Pro.jpg (2MB, 3264x1840px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20151016_19_29_39_Pro.jpg
2MB, 3264x1840px
I took the 72 pin connector from a game genies as they are mega cheap and sired it to the console in place of the default 72 pin connector as a home made alternative to the blinking light win.

Works perfectly, just need to use pliers with the teeth wrapped in electrical tape to get games out.
>>
>>3642109
I'm not stupid anon
>>
>>3642109
>poisoned
>having a fit of the vapors
The only way anon would be poisoned is by the hundreds of spider eggs laid decades ago.
>>
>>3641548
Just get a top loader.
>>
using a game genie in mine makes it work every time.
Try it out.
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.