[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have a fully functioning FDS, with a new belt. I use it sparingly

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 7

File: 148391-famicom_12.jpg (57KB, 575x430px) Image search: [Google]
148391-famicom_12.jpg
57KB, 575x430px
I have a fully functioning FDS, with a new belt.

I use it sparingly so it won't just randomly break because these supposedly are shit longevity wise.

But the games are another story. I've heard they will just randomly go bad. Which scares me.

Does anyone have a Famicom Disk System and how do you store your games?
>>
File: FDS_disk_inserted.jpg (46KB, 440x330px) Image search: [Google]
FDS_disk_inserted.jpg
46KB, 440x330px
>>3640127
From a post before I did:

FDS games when not being played must immediately be put back into their storage from the system. No laying them down, no passing them around.

You want to keep the environment warm, no static electricity, etc. Never wet or humid. Always store in an airtight container when not being played. If you do not have an airtight container, go buy one. Keep it sealed in a room temperature or slightly cool DARK place. Do not put the container in sunlight and even avoid keeping it out in normal light.

I have had several copies of games go blank after
Mishandling,
Dropping,
Inserting and ejecting too many times,
Storing in a hot environment (moved in the back of a uhaul like a moron),

None of my FDS games have stopped working if they were handled and stored right.
>>
I just have them scattered about. Some are on boxes. Keep them away from magnetism and store them in their sleeves and cases and try not to worry about it.

One option is an FDS Stick, which I myself need to get. It is basically a flash cart for the FDS, connecting directly to the RAM adapter. Using this will help preserve your real disks since they won't get used as much and will therefore be less likely to succumb to dirt or drive insertion mishaps.
>>
>>3640138
Gentle, regular use should be fine.
But I've seen some stupid fucking stuff happen with those disks when people overuse them, overrun them, or treat them poorly. They think they're floppies.
>>
>>3640138
FDS consoles and the games are really cheap and readily available because normies and retro fags don't want Japanese stuff or can't deal with Japanese stuff.

So there's nothing to really worry about.
>>
>>3640154
You don't need to know japanese to play these, though.
There's only like one good RPG that I can see on the FDS and I'll just skip that one. I want the platformers and action adventure games.
>>
I have a FDS and 1 game for it but I've never been able to use it because I don't have a second power supply.

So It's just kinda sitting on a shelf on my room, which kind of gets hot and humid. Sometimes I feel like I should sell it to someone who can take care of it better or something.
>>
>>3640219

It can run on batteries, anon.
>>
>>3640221
Batteries are expensive and I bet it only runs like 5 minutes on battery.

Besides my Famicom only shows a grey screen and i'm too retarded to know how to fix it.
>>
>>3640127
Get fucked, hoardercuck.
>>
>>3640272
>You take care of your games and consoles? HOARDER!!!!"
>>
>>3640272
How the fuck is he a hoarder
>>
I keep my FDS disks in a large reptile terrarium. I have it temperature controlled with a heat lamp to the perfect temperature. Every day I feed them live mice. To play these games would be a sin.
>>
>>3640826
Mice deserve a nice home with a computer you sick fuck
>>
>>3640826
heh
>>
>>3640127
If you have an earlier FDS and the FDSStick, you can re-write the games if they are demagnetized.
>>
>>3640226
Buy NiMH rechargeables like eneloops. You really should already own them for /vr/ portables anyway.
>>
Do you guys use step down converters?
>>
File: fedora-cape.jpg (41KB, 350x463px) Image search: [Google]
fedora-cape.jpg
41KB, 350x463px
>>3641009
>>
>>3640127
The FDS is a tank that will last forever. The belt, on the other hand, is shit. Replace it with a good one and that will last forever as well.

Games go bad because the data is stored on rust. Literally. Like a standard floppy. No random quantum fluctuations are involved just plain old rusting.

I store my games a number of ways.
On original media, because I have a shitload
On my server, so I always have a copy
On SDs, for use in my FDS emulators

There is really no reason to use a FDS anymore. Even if you can't make your own emulator you can now buy an FDSStick for something like $10.

>>3640226
It lasts for something like a month of solid 24 hour a day game play champ.
>>
File: pengüin.jpg (7KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
pengüin.jpg
7KB, 250x250px
>>3641049
>40$ each.

M-maybe after I move out of here. Also the Famicom and the FDS are my only /vr/ consoles, after I fucked it up I went back to being an emulator cuck.

>>3641245
Is that how effective the FDS is energy-wise or are modern smartphones just garbage?
>>
Is there anywhere else to buy the FDS Stick or Magic Wild Card? famicom.tech is always out of stock
>>
>>3641049
>NiMH
What, I thought they were shit compared to LiOn. I just use regular Duracell rechargeable LiOn batteries or a power pack.
>>
>>3641645

The FDS doesn't run constantly during gameplay, it only activates when reading the disk (which is only happening during loading).

The actual game data is loaded into and played from the RAM adapter, which is why the FDS stick works - it simply replaces the drive by feeding the game data into the RAM adapter.
>>
>>3641245
>
There is really no reason to use a FDS anymore. Even if you can't make your own emulator you can now buy an FDSStick for something like $10.

I have a thing about using original hardware. I'm more in it so I can experience what things were like in the past, not just to use original hardware.
>>
FDS data will decay overtime, but if it used very sparingly and cared for expertly, it'll last a long ass time.
>>
File: Famicom Disk Writer Case.jpg (19KB, 220x350px) Image search: [Google]
Famicom Disk Writer Case.jpg
19KB, 220x350px
>>3640127
Yeah I have a FDS. I store games in pictured.

It is a plastic molded case that looks like a Famicom Disk Writer kiosk.
>>
>>3641821
So, I take it the RAM adapter also contains the additional sound chips and other components?
>>
File: Punch Out!! Special.png (2MB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
Punch Out!! Special.png
2MB, 800x600px
>>3640127
Oh hey, it is >>3641918 again.

If you are worried about losing games and have some spare time and money and want to do something cool, you can always reverse-engineer a Disk Writer with existing Famicom hardware.

Best community.

http://famicomworld.com/workshop/tech/famicom-disk-system-fd3206-write-mod/
>>
>>3641920
More or less: http://wiki.nesdev.com/w/index.php/FDS_audio
>>
>>3641920

I believe so, yes. The adapter is what the console is actually reading during gameplay, the data from the disk in the disk drive is just loaded into the RAM of the adapter. You can unplug the adapter from the Disk System during (non-loading) gameplay and the game will play as normal (until it tries to load, of course).
>>
File: CTG Collection SHARE.png (853KB, 819x681px) Image search: [Google]
CTG Collection SHARE.png
853KB, 819x681px
>>3641932
This is correct.
>>
Do we have a top 10 or top 20 for Famicom Disk System games?

I know that super hard samurai game is one, but there are some other cool games that never got released that were on FDS weren't therE?
>>
>>3641946
The actual English speaking Famicom Disk System community is niche. You don't see lets players and youtube e-celebs talking about the FDS or it's games much, because they avoid foreign shit like the plague, despite the fact you don't need to know the language to play a lot of the good FDS games.

With that being said, there's limited top/best game lists for the system as well. But most of the games are really cheap. I think Doki Doki is getting up there, though.
>>
>>3641946
http://famicomworld.com/game-list/

Famicom World's game list. There are even reviews of games. This is the resource for Famicom info, these guys have been in it for decades.
>>
>>3641952
Oh man, I don't even know where to start on this list.
>>
>>3641954
Hit the forum up if you need more direction. It is still very active. You can find top ten lists narrowed down by genre, I know I've seen a few in the past.
>>
>>3641960
Okay, I'll check there.

Does anyone else know about the power adapter? Some people said just use a Sega Genesis one.
>>
>>3641967
Power adapter for what? I can help you.
>>
>>3641967
>>3641972
Fuck it, here I found the thread for you on FamiWorld. It's comprehensive and should help. Deals with adapters and step up/down converters.

http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=6933.0
>>
>>3641967
I also use the step-up/down converter listed on that page. It is this one: https://www.amazon.com/VCT-VT-1000J-Japanese-Transformer-Converts/dp/B000PC4SVU

Highly recommend it if you plan on using your systems. Your systems will still run in the US and some other places, but the frequency difference will put your hardware at major risk.
>>
>>3641980
So just plug the FDS power adapter into that step down converter and turn it on?
>>
>>3641980
Can you get the 200 watt?
>>
>>3641982
Yes that is correct. Since you'll need to run multiple items, you can just plug a small power strip into the appropriate outlet on the step up/down converter.

The up/down converter plugs into the wall and depending on which way you have the switch set (please read the fucking manual before you use it) you'll either step the current up or down to suit your needs.

There is also a easy-to-replace fuse within the converter, which is nice.
>>
>>3641986
Forgive me, I don't quite understand what you're asking.
>>
>>3641992
https://www.amazon.com/VCT-VT-1000J-Japanese-Transformer-Converts/dp/B004S2COIC?th=1

The cheaper one, lmao.

I appreciate your help, by the way. I'm actually a different anon who is probably going to buy this stuff now.
>>
>>3641997
Yeah that one should work fine, it just has lower tolerances all-around. But for a Famicom or something of that era it isn't a huge deal. Peak demand for a Famicom with FDS attached is under 20 watts.

It is from the same manufacturer so it'll work well for you.

As a rule of thumb in the future, never ever ever ever cheap out on power supplies, converters, or adapters. For the love of god don't make that the component you spend less on. If it fails, everything on the circuit is at risk.

Happy gaming! And if you have any questions and want a real human on the line, ask the guys at FamiWorld. They're up there with Assemblers in terms of knowledge and community support.
>>
>>3642010
Not that anon, but I have used a Sega Genesis Model 1 Power Supply to power two of my FDS for years and they have never experienced a problem. The FDS has the tolerance for it.
>>
>>3641997
>>3642010
>>3642019
Q3: What AC Adapters (other than the original) that I can commonly buy are compatible?

A3: The Famicom will run from a Sega MegaDrive/Genesis (Type-1) AC Adapter and the Sega Master System/SG-3000 AC Adapter, from your local area, with no need for a step-down transformer. (e.g., a USA AC-Adapter for people in the USA, or a European AC-Adapter for people in Europe, or a Brazillian AC-Adapter for people in Brazil, etc.).

Local AC-Adapters (designed to run on your local voltage specifications) of this type do not need a step-down transformer, as they are (after all) designed to be used locally. If you use one fro out of your area (such as a MegaDrive AC_Adapter from Japan, when you live in the U.K., then you will need an appropriate step-down transformer to convert the current, as normal.)
>>
>>3642010
You only need a step down converter for the Japanese Famicom and Famicom Disk System power supply.

If you use one that's compatible like the Genesis and it fits, you don't need a step down.
>>
>>3642023
>>3642025
Both correct.

Different options for different people. I went with the step up/down converter because I have multiple systems and because I had the money to burn at the time to never have to worry about the issue again.
>>
>>3642029
Yeah, that's not a bad idea, since it'll work with other Japanese hardware.
>>
>>3641817
>I just use regular Duracell rechargeable LiOn batteries

Those don't exist. Duracell makes alkaline disposable batteries and NiMH rechargeables. Energizer advertises "lithium" disposables but they are basically just alkaline with a different anode material. Kentli makes the only actual rechargeable lithium ion AAs, which can be used in the FDS with a AA to D cell adaptor.
>>
>>3641645
It's a few chips and a motor that spins at something like 300rpm for a few seconds while you load a game or half. Powered by a wheelbarrow full of big ass old flashlight batteries. I think my first set of shitty 80's batteries lasted me six months or so.

>>3641804
Aside from the "official distributors" that come up as the first google results when searching fdsstick? I don't think so.

>>3641854
That's not a reason to use an FDS. That might be a reason to try one. Maybe even buy one, if you have no friends with one. That's not a reason to use one. Riding a horse and buggy is an interesting experience. Riding one to work every day is fucking insane, or Amish. Same difference.
>>
>>3642175
God dammit, I understand that they don't have the same manufacturing capabilities as a major electronics corporation, but this is such a niche product I can't believe they have trouble keeping up with stock.
>>
>>3643281
That may be why there is no stock, because it's too niche.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsnHi9qQEug
>>
>>3642056
You're very naive and sure if yourself. Millennial by any chance?

>>3643281
They just lowered the price from something like $50 to $10. Of course they're out of stock. I personally contributed to that by buying a buttload to go with my buttload of RAM adapters....that I bought knowing the price would drop. If you're having trouble finding stock check out my ebay shop.
>>
>>3644096
Man fuck you. I just wanted something to play my FDS games on since my drive stopped working.
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.