[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So we all agree that this is the best looking game of the 90's,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

File: Unrealtournament.jpg (141KB, 326x398px) Image search: [Google]
Unrealtournament.jpg
141KB, 326x398px
So we all agree that this is the best looking game of the 90's, but what is the best looking game of the 80's?
>>
>>3639254
Quake 3 looked better, IMO.
>>
File: DSCF6097.jpg (20KB, 650x488px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF6097.jpg
20KB, 650x488px
>>3639254
The Crysis of 8bit era
>>
>>3639254
>So we all agree that this is the best looking game of the 90's
No. Shiny effects doesnt equal good look, art direction matters too. And that is better and more cohernt even in Q2. Frankly, Unreal aged like shit.
>>
>>3639727
>Quake 3 looked better, IMO.
Don't be so modest, I loved UT, but the Q3 engine destroyed the Unreal Engine 1, by far, and this game was the best example of it.
>>
Best looking game of the 80s is Galaxy force 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uzBUwh5msY
>>
>>3640452
I was gonna say this one too.
It looks like an out-of-place artifact.
>>
>>3640345
you're seriously trying to say the art direction is better in that everything BROWN game?
>>
>>3640617
Yes, i am trying to say the art direction is better in Q2 than in that DUDE 3DFX LMAO engine demo. Architecture is better too.
>>
>>3640345
You're delusional. Unreal and UT both look much better than Quake 2. Quake 3 is another thing entirely though and still looks great to this day.
>>
Wasn't Quake 3 also incredibly well optimized?
I remember playing pretty well in the same shitty PC i was completely unable to move Baldur's Gate 2.
>>
>>3640672
The reason I know your a troll is because no one actually likes quake 2.
>>
>>3640793
Good taste is surely a rare thing nowadays.
>>
>>3640972
You're quite the dedicated troll, I still don't believe you.
>>
File: Unreal 2016-09-12 16-40-57-653.jpg (548KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Unreal 2016-09-12 16-40-57-653.jpg
548KB, 1920x1080px
>>3640972
Interesting how contrarians always hide under the guise of "good taste"
>>
>>3640975
If my opinions upset you that much - i also can't understand why Earthworm Jim and MDK are getting that much love.

>>3640994
Do i really need to explain why i prefer the clever use of palette and low-poly models to create military-industrial atmosphere of Q2 over Unreal's "Let's make this floor in a spaceship reflective for no fucking reason. Oh, and also make spaceship out of square rooms with vertical walls and horizontal floor and celling" approach? Let's at least agree that first of the two aged better.
>>
>>3641075
Q2's levels always seem oversimplified and too crude. Almost felt like a slight upgrade of the simplistic, boxy Wolf3d levels. Even Q1 looked and felt better than Q2's unimaginative snorefest levels.
>>
>>3640793
Not him. I also like Q2 a lot.

But unlike him, I'm not delusional enough to think the Q2 engine could compete with Unreal, Unreal looks much better.

As for what game is better, hard to tell, I like Doom, Quake and Unreal so much, that I just don't bother trying to figure out which was my favorite, except technically of course, that would be:

Q3>UT99>U1>Q2>Q1>Doom, but again this is just graphically, I do like Q1 better than Q2 and I think is superior gameplay wise, and that has more attractive level design, but that could be just subjective taste, besides I also enjoy a lot the "dullness" of Q2, it gives it a creepy atmosphere that I really enjoy a lot.
>>
>>3639254
Unreal had more grandiose levels and more effects in view because it was a singleplayer game. That said they both look amazing, even today.
>>
>>3641220
OP is referring to UT, not U1.

UT was multiplayer based like Q3
>>
>>3641223
OP is talking about best looking game, and the best looking game was Unreal, not UT.
>>
File: 454545454.jpg (98KB, 808x542px) Image search: [Google]
454545454.jpg
98KB, 808x542px
>>3641226
You are delusional, models in U1 were way more blocky, UT looks much better
>>
>>3641381
isn't that a player model? compared to those enemies are designed to have like 500 in the level so you don't want them too high poly.
>>
>>3639727
It wasn't as fun. UT ran good on my Rage 128
>>
>>3641394
500? What are you talking about? It has been a while since I played but I don't remember more than 4 or 5 at the same time at worst, its not at all like Doom or Serious Sam where 500 Kleers would come to get you.

On the other hand UT games of 10 to 20 players on one map that is far smaller than any level in Unreal were very common.
>>
>>3641075
>i also can't understand why Earthworm Jim and MDK are getting that much love

EWJ is your average run and gun but holds up with style.

MDK on the other hand was one of the first TPS games that wasn't clunky shit and you could go fast while shooting hordes of robots, while having amazing graphics for 1996

sequels were pretty shit though. EWJ2 had more gimmicks than proper gameplay and bioware turned MDK2 into generic 3dfx blue and purple corridors with infuriating puzzles
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.