[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

there's been a ton of animal video game characters in the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: bub.jpg (96KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
bub.jpg
96KB, 1000x1000px
there's been a ton of animal video game characters in the past, both successful (Sonic, Crash, Spyro) and failures (Aero the Acrobat, Bubsy, Croc). For some reason they've died out in modern games.

Who're your favorite vidya animals, /vr/?
>>
>>3638078
Real talk, Rocket Knight (Sparkster) is so much better than Sonic but I guess I was part of the problem as I didn't even know of the game until long after Genesis was dead while getting all four of the Sonic games. Ristar was also pretty cool while having a simple design.

Beside those I honestly can't say I like any that had died off. Kirby and his pals survived.
>>
>>3638103
Man, I loved Rocket Knight as a kid, but it's a Konami game so I wouldn't have high hopes for the franchise even if it had been successful.

At least it died with pride and we managed to get a whole trilogy between counting the 2010 or whenever the last one came out.

>>3638078
I liked Aero as a kid but playing it now I think it's kind of shitty desu. I guess my favorite vidya animal would be Tails.
>>
>>3638078
Modern games are tryhard schlock made by insecure babymen, made for insecure babymen.
>>
Conker was arguably the sexiest.
>>
I really liked Sparkster as a kid and even enjoyed the (bastard sequel) Rocket Knight on PS3/360. I also really enjoyed playing Super Alfred Chicken when I was like 6. I haven't played it since god knows how long so I wonder how I would feel about it nowadays. I think games starring animals during the 90's had some sort of nice feel to it. I can't really think of that many games that include animal characters that I would consider awful or bad. However, I do have Bub and Bob tattooed on each forearm so I guess they would be my all time favourites. Both Bubble Bobble and Bust-a-Move carry a lot of good memories so I'm thankful for that.
>>
File: header.jpg (28KB, 460x215px) Image search: [Google]
header.jpg
28KB, 460x215px
Back then animal characters were associated with kid branding.

Now they're associated with degeneracy, both things are partly related.

There's definitely good games starring animals still coming out tho.
>>
>>3638131

Dust was furbait though, wasn't it?

Well, to be fair even retro animals are furbait now. Conker's never the same after getting railed in the ass by Banjo.
>>
>>3638132
Even if it was it was still a damn good game. The combat was slick and stylish.
>>
>>3638078
>and failures (Aero the Acrobat, Bubsy, Croc)

Aw man, it's kinda unfair to label Aero and Croc as failures. I mean I know they failed as mascots themselves, but they did have good games. Not sure about Bubsy.
>>
>>3638078
>Croc
>failure
http://www.vgchartz.com/game/426/croc-legend-of-the-gobbos/

I think your problem is that you think all animal platformers should have dozens of sequel, which is just false.
>>
>>3638143
Also a damn gorgerous game
>>
Definitely Sparkster and Klonoa. They need more love.
>>
>>3638078

>Croc
>Failure

Literally everyone I knew had that game and most loved it. PS1 was fucking starving for platformers at that point and it was the closest thing to filling that Mario 64-sized void until Ape Escape came out. It didn't really take off as a franchise but it's probably better that way.
>>
>>3639349
I kinda wanted to post about Klonoa myself but generally he have a habit of ruining threads on /v/. I'm sure /vr/ is much better about it but still. You can't say his design isn't cute.
>>
>>3639504
oh I'd say he's more then cute :^)
>>
>>3639349
You literally can't talk about Klonoa on /v/ because of a shitty forced meme perpetuated by furfags.
>>
File: 1388459819281 (1).png (89KB, 494x349px) Image search: [Google]
1388459819281 (1).png
89KB, 494x349px
>>3639508
>>
>>3639314
>you think all animal platformers should have dozens of sequel

He didn't mean them as animal platformers, just as mascots. You know, when they try to create a whole franchise out of it, make a lot of sequels, merchandise, etc.

But you're right, Croc was very positively received. I liked Croc 2 as well.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.