[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Since I'm never going to be able to afford a Hi-Def NES

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 189
Thread images: 18

File: maxresdefault.jpg (55KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
55KB, 1280x720px
Since I'm never going to be able to afford a Hi-Def NES mod or even the NES RGB mod, it looks like my best option is to look into getting a Nintendo AVS.

Does anyone have one of these? What are people's experiences? I know it only does 720p but apparently it looks fine on 1080p displays and with the newest firmwire update has options to make the color pallete 1:1 with original NES hardware based off composite video analysis someone did.

I don't emulate, so no emulation stuff.
>>
Lots of people have been buying them and the seem like an acceptable middle ground for people like you.
>>
>>3636285
It's a fantastic system, OP. The 720p is stunning despite the fact it doesn't have 1080p.

It's an actual hardware reproduction. It uses custom circuitry to essentially reproduce the NES circuitry. So it has the same exact slowdown, sprite limitations, and all that of the original NES. Every game plays flawlessly, and dirty cartridges and half inserted carts produce the same flaws they would on an original NES.

It's basically an exact replica of the hardware using new technology. There would normally be no point to do this (who the fuck would reproduce slow and flawed hardware), but, because retro stuff is big now it's happened.

The Analogue NT is a meme and for 600 dollars is a ripoff. They use torn up NES parts and it's still a meme. The Hi-Def NES is going for like 600 dollars now too, which is also a meme. The actual NES original console is worth maybe 100 bucks if it's in good condition, and someone should be able to buy the mod and do it for around 300 total including NES, but they instead charge double the price because people are stupid fucks and paying it.
>>
>>3636298
What's the difference between the AVS and stuff like the Retron? Retron is way cheaper.
>>
>>3636303
The Retron is a cheap piece of plastic running low powered PC hardware. It's an emulation box and comes with all the same flaws of emulation. Everything looks good, but it's all too bright and washes out the colors of the games. It also doesn't play or feel like original hardware at all in many parts of many games. There's no slowdown or anything like you'd experience playing a real NES.

It's a clone console, a reproduction of software that reads the ROMs and basically spits out what it thinks the ROM is supposed to look like and play like.

The benefit of the AVS also is that it plays original Famicom games AND for around 100 bucks you can pick up a basically new Famicom Disk System and play Famicom Disk System games as well. Lots of gems on that machine.
>>
>>3636308
Its not a clone console.
Its a shitty cheap PC that emulates games using the cartridge ROM
If your gonna buy a retron you should literally just emulate on PC and hook up your pc to HDMI.
>>
>>3636292
> for people like you.
what's that supposed to mean
>>
>>3636285
Hipster trash
>>
>>3636329
How do you play on a high definition display, then?
>>
What's wrong with just playing a regular NES on a CRT?
>>
>>3636334
Composite looks like fucking trash, I can't play Famicom games, and I can't use my Famicom Disk System.
>>
>>3636334
My CRT is about 20 years old, and is slowly fading. Over a long time period, CRT's age and their brightness starts to fail.

I don't want to buy a new CRT, and I don't have any interest in hooking up my original NES to composite with mono audio. It's a 25 inch CRT basically, and is heavy as shit and looks like shit. It's really fuzzy, as well. I'm tired of gaming on 1980s quality technology, and I don't want to spend 800 dollars to upgrade to a PVM and RGB NES.
>>
>>3636335
>Composite looks like fucking trash
On flatscreens, yeah. It looks just fine on CRTs.
>>
>>3636341
It looks like trash on CRTs, too. That and there is no point for me to buy a new CRT when I could just buy the AVS and have crystal clear picture.
>>
>>3636341
Home CRTs are over 100 dollars now, and they are all mistreated or look like garbage.
>>
>>3636285
>Since I'm never going to be able to afford a Hi-Def NES mod or even the NES RGB mod, it looks like my best option is to look into getting a Nintendo AVS.
This doesn't make sense.

AVS = $600
NES RGB kit = $75
Hi-Def NES kit = $120

You can't afford $75-120, but you can afford $600? How fucking retarded are you?
>>
>>3636357
>AVS = $600
Sounds like you're thinking of the original Analogue NT. The AVS is $180. (The Analogue NT mini will be $450.)
>>
>>3636330
I don't, faggot.
>>
>>3636376
So it's still more expensive than the options OP "can't afford"?
>>
>>3636381
We could speculate that OP doesn't currently own a NES, and also has no experience with soldering or any tools to do so, and is looking at the prices for pre-modded complete NES systems.
Though if OP considers pre-mods completely unaffordable, that probably means he doesn't make much money, meaning his time isn't worth much, meaning he could spend it learning to solder and it wouldn't be a waste of time.
>>
>>3636357
How fucking retarded are you?
I have an original NES, but I can't pay to get it modded because that's going to run me like 400 dollars from these fucks on Ebay. I've tried message boards to no luck.

>>3636389
Anything in the realm of 200~ is affordable and fine.

Anything beyond that is just a fucking rip off.
>>
>>3636381
How is 180 more expensive than a 500 dollar Analogue NT or a 600 dollar Hi-Def NES?
>>
>>3636389
>meaning he could spend it learning to solder and it wouldn't be a waste of time.
Take it from me OP, do not use your only NES and a 120 dollar Hi-Def NES Kit to "experiment"

If you can't solder and can't do any of that shit, do not attempt it.

I ruined two NES by completely fucking up soldering. One I thought I soldered right and when I turned it on it fried the system.
>>
>>3636406
Not as retarded as you, since I can actually solder and not spend $400 for a fucking install service.

>>3636409
$180 is more than $120 or $75. Reading comp dude.

>>3636416
If you are "learning" on the hardware you plan on working on, you are full fucking retard. You learn on junk electronics, NOT on the shit you actually want to keep.
>>
>>3636419
>Not as retarded as you, since I can actually solder and not spend $400 for a fucking install service.

I'm not going to spend 400 dollars for a fucking install service either.

>If you are "learning" on the hardware you plan on working on, you are full fucking retard. You learn on junk electronics, NOT on the shit you actually want to keep.

Not him, but I have no junk electronics. How do I get them to start learning?

Bear in mind, I have no tools whatsoever, and will also need to make a perfect cut for the HDMI port on the back of the NES.
>>
File: 1478422018647.jpg (26KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1478422018647.jpg
26KB, 480x360px
>>3636406

>current year
>can't solder
>>
>>3636419
>>3636423
Takes a lot more than soldering, m8s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvBSoZ1MkRk
>>
>>3636330
scart
>>
File: 1450117064154.png (88KB, 5000x5000px)
1450117064154.png
88KB, 5000x5000px
OP, I would actively ignore the shitposters in this thread.
Like this
>>3636423

Half of the people on /vr/ can't solder, and even more are just shitters that game using 1980s displays over RF or composite. A lot don't even play games, they just shitpost on this board.

The AVS is great, affordable, and knocks the piss out of the HDMI/RGB mods. It looks identical. Taking the time to order both a fully working, good condition, recapped and serviced NES vs an AVS is literally pointless.

>B-but original NES capacitors don't go bad!
They do
>Learn to replace them!

Okay, so, now we've bought... An original NES or top loading NES, a soldering kit, a drill with proper dremmel to iron out the HDMI port, a 120 dollar hi-def NES kit, all new capacitors, and more to make it output identically to the AVS.

Really makes you think...
>The AVS is hipster trash!

So is owning a CRT and playing over composite. That's even more hipster, actually.
>>
>>3636421
>How do I get them to start learning?
Dumpsters, garbage cans, neighbors with broken electronic shit. Broken shit is everywhere. Worst comes to worst, go to your local pawn shop and buy a cheap ass VCR.

>>3636421
>Bear in mind, I have no tools whatsoever, and will also need to make a perfect cut for the HDMI port on the back of the NES.
>have no tools
>but won't pay for install service
How do you plan on doing this then? Magic?
>>
>>3636426
So you use the NES RGB mod?
>>
>>3636434
>How do you plan on doing this then? Magic?

I was going to order the AVS, and that's why I made a post asking about it.

But instead I got people telling me to pick up soldering and start the learning process.
>>
My issue with both the AVS and the HI-Def NES mod, are the mixels, aka, when pixels looks inconsistent in size because of the stretching, i dont like the 1:1 pixel perfect mode the ACTUAL NES resolution outputs.
>>
>>3636435
yes
>>
>>3636436
The AVS is actually a fine option.
The soldering is for people who want 1080p or RGB out but consider the NT Analogue mini to be too expensive.
>>
>>3636437
You can adjust all of that with the AVS.
>>
>>3636442
Not OP but the original NES I want in the condition I want is going to run me over 100 dollars now. And I was told to get all the capacitors replaced. Which I can't really do either, so that's a job I'd have to pay for.

That's already got the price close to the AVS. Then buying the mod kit, the price is way over the AVS.
>>
>>3636430
>The AVS is great, affordable, and knocks the piss out of the HDMI/RGB mods
lel no, there's no diference
>>
>>3636449
>lel no, there's no diference

lel, lel, updated firmwires and new colors and other options available.

>its the same
>>
>>3636443
but havent still fixed the stuttering and shimmering and screen tearing?

Also does this thing has save states?
>>
>>3636451
$500 shitshow made by some guy that might damage carts because the sides are bit to wide

vs

$20 ~ $30 Famicom/NES + NESRGB (for $100)

>B-but it has more colors to choose from and HDMI
>>
>>3636462
>500 shitshow

What the fuck are you talking about tubs?

A toploading NES or classic NES with RGB mod is super expensive, the AVS is 185.
>>
>>3636459
There's no stuttering, shimmering, or screen tearing. I'm not sure where you read that.

The AVS has no save states.
>>
>>3636462
Nes RGB requires a high quality converter called the Framemeister, which can run 400 dollars when flashed with proper English BIOS.

If you are using a 50 dollar cheap converter, it shows during any movement. The backgrounds generally smear.
>>
File: AVS-Evolution.jpg (48KB, 729x960px) Image search: [Google]
AVS-Evolution.jpg
48KB, 729x960px
>>3636462
>$500 shitshow made by some guy that might damage carts because the sides are bit to wide

The AVS
IS NOT
THE FUCKING
ANALOGUE NT
>>
>>3636474
>requires

>>3636470
it's still cheaper than the AVS
>>
File: nes RGB.png (322KB, 826x796px)
nes RGB.png
322KB, 826x796px
>>3636482
No, no it isn't.

>learn 2 solder!

RGB kit plus original NES is like 150 or more. Then you need the converter, cheap ones run 50, and they suck.
>>
>>3636487
nigger, I bought a Famicom for $20 than I send it to one of those people who has -and can solder it for you (costed about 120 to 135).
>>
>>3636494
What converter do you use for RGB to HDMI?
>>
>>3636498
There's absolutely nothing wrong with Scart, I don't need a converter.
>>
>>3636504
Oh, I'm American.
>>
>>3636494
>>3636504
Nigger, what do you use for Famicom and Famicom disk system games?
>>
>>3636514
Everdrive :)
>>
>>3636514
Nothing, because he bought a single use system with an outdated RGB mod for 160 dollars.
>>
>>3636524
Oh, so it cost you hundereds of dollars for a system that'll cost me about 185, since I have the Famicom games and Famicom Disk System already.

Interdasting.
>>
>>3636524
>165 for the nes and rgb mod
>100 for the everdrive
>he's now spent 265

I love how costs keep materializing.
Get the fuck out.
>>
>>3636528
>>3636531
Are you both being retarded on purpose?
You both want to tell me you got free games?
>>
>>3636536
Yep. My grandmother passed away and I got my uncle's entire NES collection, and my brother gave me his Famicom and Disk System games for free when he moved to California.
>>
>>3636471
>shimmering
The AVS's 1280x720 output means it can't get as close to the NES pixel aspect ratio without uneven pixels (shimmering) as the 1920x1080 output devices can.
The best for the AVS without shimmering is 4x horizontal + 3x vertical, whereas 1920x1080 output allows 5x horizontal + 4x vertical (still not 8:7, but closer than the AVS).
A hypothetical 4k output version could use an exact 8x horizontal + 7x vertical (2048x1708) ratio with borders around the image.

>stuttering
>screen tearing
Those shouldn't be happening unless there are bugs in the video output which hopefully they'd fix.
>>
>>3636541
You can watch RetroRGB's video on it. The shimmering is a meme from scalers and converters.
>>
>>3636541
Finally, someone who isn't shitposting.
The shimmering is an issue with any NES if it's not scaled appropriately.
>>
File: fr-300.jpg (9KB, 342x287px) Image search: [Google]
fr-300.jpg
9KB, 342x287px
>>3636424

>current year
>can't desolder

mfw
>>
>>3636583
So you can solder the hi-def NES and stuff?

How much for your services?
>>
OP, I have an AVS, as well as tons of other clone consoles, and a Hi-Def NES/NES RGB.

Buy the AVS.

Literally 90% of this thread is shitposters. This board is a piece of shit now.
>>
>>3636620
this.
it's literally all shitposters who go on about playing shit on old blurry ass CRT televisions, emulation, emulation machines, and everdrives.
>>
>>3636316
People who want to use cartridges but don't want to use real hardware. The AVS is the best possible clone system.
>>
>>3636658
It's not a clone.
>>
>>3636619

Lol I do it 8 hrs a day at work so I don't feel like doing it in my spare time for other people

If I did I'd charge the market rate. I.E. whatever I thought I could get away with. I value my free time highly.
>>
>>3636669
>I value my free time highly.

>Shitposts about soldering on /vr/ in a kids nintendo system thread
>>
>>3636662
Of course it is.
>uh ackshully it's an fpga recreation of the real hardware
>literally the definition of a clone
>>
File: 2016-11-25-1848-33_1.webm (3MB, 630x354px) Image search: [Google]
2016-11-25-1848-33_1.webm
3MB, 630x354px
>>
>>3636623
>people who actually play old games NOT in the same way as my totatally-not-shilled-itemâ„¢ are shitposting
>>
>>3636684
Clones are not recreations of the hardware, dumbfuck.
>>
>>3636684
A clone is not built to run games identically.
Clones are just random hardware mashed together that will run the game.

They often have all new sets of issues, run the games differently, or have inherent flaws in the gameplay brought on by not knowing how the NES worked. Tons of chink clone systems are like that.

This is the FPGA circuits programmed to run literally identically to the NES.

>>3636719
The primary issue in this thread is that people aren't helping OP. They're just saying
>That's not the way I PLAY it...
>Just play with old shit
>Just solder yourself
>Just ...

Which is not what the OP asked in his post.
>>
>>3636719
>I play on old, outdated, inferior technology because that's the way it was MEANT to be played

Okay, get a Ford Model T, a record player from 1930, a toaster from 1930, a fridge from 1930, a stove from 1930, and don't forget to throw that cell phone the fuck out, we use landlines here. That's the way phones were meant to be heard, anyway, and cell phones introduce lag and other bullshit.

You sound like a fucking Luddite.
>>
>>3636725
That may be. But it's obvious that if he can afford AVS he afford other options.
>>
>>3636731
How can he? No one has listed any option in here cheaper than 185. Even the "SOLDER YOURSELVES" people have failed to mention that's BEFORE expensive video converters.
>>
>>3636719
>AVS
>A cheap HDMI NES
>shilled

>analogue NT
>a 500 dollar NES
>with a GOLD VERSION that went for like 1,000

You're on the wrong side.
>>
>>3636338
>mono audio
i must be missing something here.
>>
All clone consoles are for retarded homosexuals.
>>
>>3636338
Time to get rid of the baby games, faggot.
>>
>>3636285
If you plan on being poor and retarded forever but must play on muh HD LCD this is really your only option if it's the only option you're aware of.
I can get an HDMI modded FC for less and mod one myself for even less. But if you can't do either that doesn't help you much.
>>
>>3636747
It's not a clone.
>>
>all these "I mod myself!"
>"I can mod one myself!"
>faggot postings.

Why do people lie on the internet
>>
>>3636754
>I can get an HDMI modded FC for less

Less than 185? Impressive. The NES Hdmi mod itself is 125 dollars.

Linky linky.
>>
>>3636720
What definition of clone are you using, anon?
>>
File: Not a Clone.jpg (90KB, 475x633px)
Not a Clone.jpg
90KB, 475x633px
>>3636720
o rly
plz tell me what a clone is
mr xpurt
>>
>>3636725
I'm not sure "random hardware" is an accurate description of the Nintendo-on-a-chip SOCs used in most cheap Famiclones. (Aside from the really early ones.) Those chips are made specifically to run Famicom games.

Seems like it's just a semantics discussion really. Traditionally chip-clone systems were made to be cheap rather than good, so the word "clone" has a bad reputation. The AVS is made to be good rather than cheap.

FPGA technology itself isn't directly why the AVS is good. That is to say, you could create the AVS chips with traditional ASIC production and it would perform identically to the FPGA AVS.
But FPGA did make the development and small-scale production of this niche device economically feasible.
>>
>>3636785
Cheap famiclones were not clones like the AVS.
>>
>>3636785
"Clone" was used for cheap famiclones because they were fake, not because they were attempting to be identical hardware wise.
>>
>>3636416
How did you fuck that up? The hardest part about it is just removing the chips in the first place.
>>
>>3636807
>>3636808
>clones are not clones
>only the clones I say are clones are clones
newfags, everyone
>>
>>3636826
Old clones used custom/third party random chips to play games in their own unique way, not exactly like a NES.
>>
>>3636826
You can look it up. It literally describes why older clones and systems like Generation NEX are shit clones.
>>
>>3636853
>>3636857
I'm fucking aware of the points you're attempting to make. Not all clones are created equal and the NOAC just like the FireCore is either the work of Satan or a gift from God depending on just how dirt poor the person you ask is. It's kind of fucked up that slick shysters packaged $2 NOACs in hip ways and marked them up 10,000% but it's that market force that made the development of your precious FPGA feasible but it's still a clone and it still by design is not exactly like an NES.

You might consider it BETTER than real hardware and that's a defensible but ultimately subjective opinion. I'm fine with you having it though because I'd love to see FPGA clones of other consoles start to appear, or even self-flashing FPGA multi-consoles. Sadly, only fully documented chips will be applicable so the most poorly emulated consoles will also be the ones without FPGA replication.
>>
File: Sage 2.jpg (65KB, 746x526px)
Sage 2.jpg
65KB, 746x526px
Why is this shill thread still here? It's dead and "super old"! Why won't it make way for the new one?
>>
I'm happy with my RGB modded Famicom, though I still need to reflash it to get the recent better color options. I'm not a fan of the AVS's appearance, though that's pretty subjective.

A shame that it doesn't do standard RGB since I don't play my old systems on my modern display.
>>
Figures the cheap option is the digital only AVS while the RGB option is retarded expensive.

Is there an option for an NESRGB mod that costs less than $200?
>>
>>3637226
I wish you would fuck off.
>>
>>3637629
LEARN 2 SOLDER LOL
>>
>>3637604
If you don't mind me asking, what is it about the appearance you dislike?
>>
>>3636285
I want one but shipping to Canada is a bitch
>>
>>3636298
>hardware reproduction
>actually is hardware FPGA emulation. so still emulation
It is 1 step above a retron, and about even with a proper pc emulator.

Get the NT or mod your own Nes/pay someone to mod yours, or emulate.
>>
>>3636734
don't buy a video converter then. You should really have a more universal setup unless you have some really outstanding, special reason. and none of that "hurr I have no space for a CRT!"
>>
>>3637629
Viletim has a list of people who can do it for you,
http://etim.net.au/shop/shop.php?sc_page=105
>>
>>3637825
It isn't a PC emulator or even close to what a PC emulator is.
>>
>>3638178
Those guys are all sold out/not doing shit.
>>
>>3636730

Nah, it's more like the hippy from the 70s who's happy with listening to his Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Sabbath, etc. vinyls instead of "getting with the times" and listening to it digitally via lossless FLAC.
>>
>>3638445
I guess I was just lucky than.
>>
>>3636713
CONTEXT? played on the AVS?
>>
OMG, how can you backwards fucksticks even play a game without seeing super sharp pixels in glorious 1080p.
>>
File: 1420978402776.jpg (40KB, 650x366px) Image search: [Google]
1420978402776.jpg
40KB, 650x366px
>>3636669
>I value my free time highly.
>posts on 4chan
>>
Just buy the NES Clasic Edition goy
>>
>>3636541
So there's no way to fix the inconsistent pixels?
>>
File: gamerztek 8bit.jpg (578KB, 2048x1742px) Image search: [Google]
gamerztek 8bit.jpg
578KB, 2048x1742px
It's not HD / HDMI, but I am kicking myself for not grabbing this. Saw it at a local game shop for twenty five bucks. Was gonna get one for a cousin's kid to replace the cheaper retro one I got them,
>>
File: cheap shit.jpg (12KB, 225x225px)
cheap shit.jpg
12KB, 225x225px
>>3638736
Oh and it sold out. And they discontinued it due to a CnD from Nintendo.

So they are stuck with this one which has shitty controlers and the cart is a pain to insert.
>>
File: gamerztek 16bit.jpg (25KB, 480x403px) Image search: [Google]
gamerztek 16bit.jpg
25KB, 480x403px
>>3638739
I did get a SNES one for myself along with a Super Gameboy. Never had a SNES before. I was a blast processing kid.
>>
>>3638740
They shouldn't put Nintendo terms on the system box.
>>
>>3638610
You didn't read the thread.
it isn't about SUPER SHARP GLORIOUS 1080P PIXELS

It's about having modern displays and modern setup and only enough room for that. I can't buy a 25 inch CRT and put it in some back room for all my games. Nor would I want to. That shit looks badly aged.

It's about bringing the games into a modern setup and having them look good, instead of like ass with a composite cable.
>>
>>3636298
>The 720p is stunning despite the fact it doesn't have 1080p.

what does this even mean?
>>
>>3638794
They are redesigning them and will probably avoid that in new versions.
>>
>>3638852
I would assume he means that the 720p looks great
>>
>>3638863
why is that despite it not doing 1080?
>>
File: 32-36935_2.jpg (47KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
32-36935_2.jpg
47KB, 1000x1000px
>>3638740
>>3638739
>>3638736
I got one of these for $6 at a thrift store. I keep it hooked up to a 5" color crt as decoration/mood lighting
>>
File: 1412701657222.gif (2MB, 220x190px) Image search: [Google]
1412701657222.gif
2MB, 220x190px
>>3638797
Well, I'm afraid that your precious modern displays weren't built to do that so tough titty.
>>
>>3638875
Eh. That seems like a hell of a waste of energy, but if you got the money for it...
>>
>>3638867
I think people have been wary it doesn't do 1080p
>>
>>3638875
What the fuck...

Do you seriously?
>>
I don't think OP has gotten a definitive answer on whether or not to buy the AVS yet.

What a horse shit thread.
>>
>>3638903
Yes

>>3638901
Consumes less than an incandescent bulb. Not having my PCs hibernate wastes much more.
>>
>>3638934
A 6 inch CRT powered on does not consume less power than a bulb.
>>
>>3638947
It consumes about 15 watts.
>>
>>3636759
By posting on an adult board as an underage you're lying about your age. So whatever your reason that's one reason why.
>>
>>3636760
Much less. Unfortunately it seems the key point of my post went over your head. Just because I can get something or do something doesn't mean that everyone else can. If you shop exclusively at Your Basement just resign yourself to paying Your Basement prices. If you send your consoles to be modded by a hot glue spewlord just resign to paying those prices as well.
>>
>>3638910
OP should just take a original console and either RGB mod or no mod. Otherwise go with an emulator (no Retron or the like)
>>
>>3636423
kiddies these days wouldn't know what to do with a weller wes51
>>
>>3636308
Not to mention the guys behind the retron 5 are using the retroarch code with no permission. They make money unfairly by using someone else's work that was meant to be open and non lucrative. DO NOT ENDORSE THIS; DON'T BUY THE RETRON 5.
>>
>>3638706
The 4x 3x setting on the AVS has consistent pixels, they're just slightly further away (slightly fatter) from the real NES pixel ratio than the 5x 4x setting a hi-def NES or ANTmini can use.
>>
>>3638797
>That shit looks badly aged.
>badly
You misspelled "stylishly."
>>
>>3636430
>>Half of the people on /vr/ can't solder
Yes, they can. Soldering is piss easy.

If anyone is limiting themselves because they haven't soldered before, you need to knock it off. Just do it.
>>
>>3636285
I have one and it works fantastic, when it works.... Don't know if it is just mine BUT sometimes I have trouble getting picture. Not sure if it is the hdmi port or the hdmi cable it came with. Also sometimes got to pull in and out games because they aren't connecting. The pins on my games are clean so I think it is the pin connector in the console that is the problem.
>>
>>3636430
You're a faggot fyi.
>>
>>3639694
Fuck you.
>>
>>3636285
I've heard that it doesn't output the native NES aspect ratio, that you have to fiddle with an integer scale thing that changes pixel width and try to bullshit it into 4:3. Also it only has HDMI output
>>
>>3639862
Yeah, you have to mess with the integer scale with NES RGB and Hi-Def NES too.
>>
>>3639534
No they can't. This place as been overrun by retarded underage fucks. They can't even change a battery. Don't encourage them to play with hot sharp objects. It's a danger to themselves and others.
>>
>>3641564
People on /vr/ have become worse than /v/ in many ways.
>>
File: 4K gaming.png (265KB, 480x386px) Image search: [Google]
4K gaming.png
265KB, 480x386px
>>3636330
What are upscalers?
>>
Not sure off this thread is still alive, I skipped 90% of it when I saw the first few replies.

I bought an AVS as soon as they went up on retrousb. I have an original top loader that it's unmodded but no CRT to play it on. The AVS has been pretty satisfactory for me. The case is injection molded ABS so it feels good like the original. The cart connector is tight, but you can wiggle the cartridges up a bit to increase your grip when removing. Controller ports are snug. I used my power pak for testing. When I first booted it on, the colors and picture looked the same as I remember it on my old CRT save for the aspect ratio and resolution. It was set a bit wider, but it was a correct integer scale. I always used RF on my NES so I was pleased at the bump in picture quality and no noise in the background when navigating the power pak menu. I tried several games and got a strange audio glitch in some where the volume would randomly lower. The firmware update fixed the issue, however I think Mr Gimmick is still acting up audio-wise. I remember there being sound effects when you create and throw a star, but the AVS isn't performing it. This is the only game I've experienced this occurring.

Overall it's good for $180, but I think saving up to mod my top loader would have been a more worthwhile investment in the end.

OP, if you own a top loader don't buy the AVS. If you don't own one then it might suit you.
>>
>>3642412
Upscalers are devices similar to the seven second delay devices used in live broadcasts but with a slightly shorter delay.
>>
>>3636285
It's neat, but I really hate how it's based more around the NES than the Famicom, the lid stays half-open when there's a Famicom cart in it.
>>
>>3636349
The hell are you smoking? I got my CRT for £5 and it gets the job done. I've literally seen bigger, better CRTs on the street with "free to a good home" labels stuck to them before. I would have taken one if they weren't so big and heavy (which is a legitimate reason not to use one, if they take up too much space or are impractical for your living arrangement)
>>
>>3643087
Well you didn't order your CRT on eBay with your mommies credit card now did you?
>>
>>3642692
>OP, if you own a top loader don't buy the AVS. If you don't own one then it might suit you.

I don't own a top loader or an NES, and I contacted multiple modders who said they were sold out/not doing modding, or wanted 100+ dollars after the cost of the mod kit.

Also, the Famicom compatibility really sold this, since I have an original Famicom Disk System with a lot of FDS games including The Mysterious Murasame Castle
>>
>>3643916
>since I have an original Famicom Disk System
Unfortunetly, the RAM adapter barely fits since they based the console more around the tubular radical reaganomics NES than the Famicom.
>>
>>3644783
It fits fine.
>>
>>3636406
>400 dollars from these fucks on Ebay
Jesus, are they really getting that much to do these mods? I RGB modded my own NES last year with like, zero fucking soldering experience. I bought a cheap iron from Sears and went at it.

>>3636416
I guess I just got lucky, then. I actually did buy a second NES for about 40 bucks because I didn't want to risk frying my childhood NES on the experiment, though.
>>
>>3644918
They really are getting that much. Just look at the cornucopia of stupidity ITT. Some of these dingi would be out of their depth changing batteries in a game boy. Throw in coddling parents with a credit card and you have a recipe for disaster.
>>
>>3644918
You could make close to 400 dollars profit if you buy a NES and an RGB kit.
>>
>>3644918
>>3646229
It's not really that. It's that with options like the AVS there is no point to buy an original NES and then RGB mod it.

The AVS is identical to the original NES and plays Famicom games identical to the original Famicom. So why would you buy two systems, and mod two systems.
>>
>>3646256
This.
I understand why the Retron is a piece of shit, because it's a computer running a shit emulator. But there is no argument for the AVS.
>>
>>3636285
Just watched the My Life In Gaming video about it and watched a stream where they played games on it, I think it's the perfect solution for what you're asking for.
>>
>>3646264
Oh shit, I forgot about them.
>>
>>3646264
Do you have a link to the stream video?
>>
>>3646256
>there is no point to buy an original NES and then RGB mod it
So, how do I play AVS on my SD CRT.
>>
>>3646308
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FW1rl78aFE
I didn't even know about this thing until I saw this thread, and I've never played Ninja Gaiden 3 but besides the sharpness of the graphics I can't tell that it isn't running on a normal NES.
>>
>>3646256
The AVS isn't identical. But for the sake of argument let's say it's close enough. A FC can play NES and FC games so you only need to get/mod one system. The only thing you need to do is not overpay for your shit. If you can't manage that, sure, get an AVS. But don't pretend there's any reason to do it other than being lazy and/or foolish.
>>
>>3646604
>integer scale
that's the thing that bothers me, the inconsistent pixels, when i watch mofos playing capture footage of it, there's always a 3rd pixel being bigger.

that's what's turning me off.

And also the shimmering and stuttering on frame movement and screen tearing.
>>
>>3646727
They go over that in the other video, it seems like there's ways to minimize it. Don't know about the shimmering, stuttering, and screen tearing though, I didn't notice any. Then again I don't have one. It is probably the cheapest and most accurate way to play NES games, though, granted you already own cartridges.
>>
Whats the lag like with the AVS system with a HD tv?
>>
>>3647436
No inherent lag.
>>
>>3646664
It is identical.
>>
>>3648614
This is sort of like the time I volunteered for tard wrangling and had to deal with one insisting he owned an ice cream cart. Does your wrangler know where you are?
>>
>>3648691
The guy who made the fucking thing openly admitted he fucked up the cartridge slot and that a few games don't fit. He also openly admitted that it plays every single game the same as the NES.

He's a straight shooter, he doesn't make shit up. His intent was to copy it and he did.
>>
What would be the best retro videogame console for me?

I hate RPG games.

I hate pokemon games

I hate the legend of zelda games

I hate horror games

I hate shooter games

I hate Role games of any kind

I hate survival horror games

I like video games that are suitable for all ages and for all audiences

I like realistic racing

And I like FIFA games
>>
>>3648909
None. You just have shit taste.
>>
>>3648930
Well, everyone has their tastes.

I'm just asking you to recommend a console, that's right for me

I'm someone who hates role playing and RPG.

I am someone who I hate violent video games.

And I like to play video games that are for all audiences and for all ages.
>>
>>3648909
>being this much of a hipster contrarian
>>
>>3648934
Is that I have my own tastes in video games.
>>
>>3648909
Playstation 1
>>
>>3646727
That's a settings issue. You can choose to eliminate inconsistent pixels and shimmering by using integer scaling. The tradeoff is that the pixels (all pixels, evenly) will be slightly wider than NES pixels are supposed to be.

The 1080 solutions such as the hi-def NES have the same issue; it's just they can get somewhat closer to NES PAR while still using integer scaling because of having more pixels to work with. (Using 5x 4x rather than 4x 3x).

See >>3636541
>>
File: 61fF2JW5QpL.jpg (70KB, 1024x1024px)
61fF2JW5QpL.jpg
70KB, 1024x1024px
>>3648909
>>
>>3638736
>>3638739
>>3638740
So are these any good or are they as shitty as most other budget famiclone
>>
>>3648909
An Xbox 360
>>
>>3648694
He "openly admitted" that his clone is 100% identical to an NES. How fucking big of him. What a fucking tard.
>>
>>3636298
>So it has the same exact slowdown, sprite limitations, and all that of the original NES.

Just emulate and you dont have to deal with this shit. And can hook up to any screen you like
>>
>>3649313
>100% identical
>openly admitted he fucked up the cartridge slot and that a few games don't fit.

You're the only fucking tard here, and are trying to read into things whatever you want.
>>
>>3649315
>Just emulate and you dont have to deal with this shit. And can hook up to any screen you like

The reason I don't emulate is because it feels like it's not the same as a real NES. It feels like garbage and it feels like I'm just wasting my time instead of beating a game.
>>
I am in a similar situation as OP. I have about 30 NES games, but no more NES. I have a CRT computer monitor but it only accepts VGA 31kHz and BNC5. I would really like a RGB modded NES, as that is how I hook up my other systems to that screen. The physical carts hold sentimental value to me as they were mine. I also have no experience soldering.

The RetroUSB AVS sounds ideal for me. Sadly, its asking price is more than most consoles I have bought. HDMI and RGB modded NES systems are even more. I just can't win.

>>3636406
>Anything in the realm of 200~ is affordable and fine.
I fucking hate being poor. I wish 200 was affordable. I am currently stressing out over $25 needing to be spent.

>>3636541
>>3638706
>>3646727
I remember my NES, SNES, and TurboDuo, kind of in 4:3 (with a bit of the solid color on the left for NES) on the CRT screens I played on. Some games I know account for rectangular pixels to create thier circles (linearity?), and some CPS1/2 games counted on the CRT to squash the wider reolution to 4:3. Since I got used to RGB line doubling on XRGB2 for sharpness/colour back then, I deal with the every other pixel being duplicated on modern digital displays.

>>3649315
>Just emulate and you dont have to deal with this shit. And can hook up to any screen you like
In my situation, my dedicated emulation computer only outputs HDMI. So I have one of those 3D 1080P ASUS monitors which claimed under 2ms of lag, but its TN panel is shit at color reproduction (like really shit). Limiting lag would be nice for Mike Tyson's Punch-Out.

I also missed out on getting an Everdrive N8, when they were discounted which would be ideal to pair with the AVS. I hate being so poor that I cannot even afford things even after discounts.
Thread posts: 189
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.