[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you anons consider "retro" on a personal level,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 4

File: 800px-Game-Boy-FL[1].png (452KB, 800x970px) Image search: [Google]
800px-Game-Boy-FL[1].png
452KB, 800x970px
What do you anons consider "retro" on a personal level, and not just going by the rules of the board, in terms of video games? No, this isn't another cancerous line-blurring thread.
>>
Personally I always labeled anything before the NES as retro and unplayable.
>>
Retro is anything that I have some sort of particular positive memory of the past associated with, especially as representative of larger past trends. To put it simply, retro is about nostalgia but "false nostalgia" can even be about recognizing good things that have passed.
>>
sub-HD

For handhelds, sub-3D.
>>
>>3633776
NES ruined video games

pinball, golden age arcade, a few circa-1980 mainframe games and like five games from atari 2600 and intellivision combined are honestly all that's worth playing
>>
>>3633791
God you have shit taste
>>
I think it retro means like 8bit or old
>>
>>3633807
>>
Anything Quake 3 engine based or earlier
Any sprite based mainstream RPGs, unless I'm mistaken and there's been some from this decade
Any pre-WoW MMOs, though I'm not interested in playing them
Most games that had their source released
Any games from that were firm, loyal continuations of established series starting from the sprite era.

or to look at it another way...

Practically anything mainstream that would run well on a VIA nano system with a directX 7 or lower GPU.
>>
>>3633791
A truly elite gamer. NES style storylines, pace, boss fights, and overall culture ruined the pure "zone" experience of twitch play action to be found in archaic gaming. Behind hyperbole lies a truth.

>>3633798
No, that is patrician taste. I would, however, greatly expand the worth playing list. Until you faggots have experienced revelations like real time vector graphics on an Asteroids machine, you will remain benighted in your worship of meme tier NES and later illusions of "good" gaming.
>>
File: vr.png (258KB, 889x1074px) Image search: [Google]
vr.png
258KB, 889x1074px
I still have a hard time seeing n64/ps1/saturn as retro, because the jump between snes and n64 is just massive.
I wish the term "retro" was more defined. Like you can't just say "no 3d games" when super early 3d games exist.
Thankfully gc/ps2/xbox will never be considered retro.
>>
>>3633872
>Thankfully gc/ps2/xbox will never be considered retro.
That's the exact same thing that people like you said about the Super Nintendo ten years ago.
>>
>>3633872
>No, this isn't another cancerous line-blurring thread.
>>
>>3633774
Personally I don't see any reason why GBA isn't retro BESIDES the pre-2000 rule.
>>
I don't know about "retro", but gaming prior to 2006 or so was a completely different beast than what it is now. There will always be a divisory line at that point separating "classic" gaming from the current era of internet-dependant gaming, regardless of how many decades pass. Maybe gaming will suffer another major change in the future, but that'll just mean a 3rd era.
6th gen was sort of transitional, but it'll always feel closer to old gaming than modern at least to me. After all, I still hook my PS2 to a crt.
>>
>>3633904
I view "retro" as anything that's at least a decade old and consists of a style that's no longer relevant, instead of having a static cut-off date like /vr/ does. In order for me to view something as retro, the style of the piece of media needs to be drastically different from the trends of the present. For example, the interface of the original Xbox is just about as turn-of-the-millennium as it gets, with its dark colors, cybernetic-hologram design choices, fonts that throw back to those of early home computers, isolated and mysterious atmosphere, and science fiction-inspired sound-effects. Even the name of the console is representative of the kinds of trends that were popular at the time. This, to me, is just as retro as '50s Populuxe culture. It's interesting just how much design-trends can change in such a relatively-short amount of time. Nowadays, everything is flat, minimalistic, inoffensive, and fruity - the complete opposite of what was trendy fifteen years ago.
>>
Anything pre-Win95.
>>
N64 is the latest retro console in my book.
>>
>>3633774
16 bits graphics max AND prior to 2000, I mean, I piss on all those shitty indy games with a "retro style". It's not old, it's not retro, simple as that. And I think in most of the time it's due to laziness from the devs (or incompetence), like "graphics are not ugly in my game, it's retro, duh".
>>
>>3634650
>I piss on all those shitty indy games with a "retro style"

>new style games are shit
>new games made in old style are shit

tough crowd
>>
>>3634650
Modern indie games made to look old are literally retro.
Actual old games are just old.
>>
>>3633779
Idiotic logic the post
>>
>>3633774
10 years old for game, 15 years for console. In my book the xbox and gamecube are retro, as are games like Halo and God of War.
>>
This is a stealth "make 6th gen retro" thread and OP is a faggot.
>>
>>3633834
>zone experience
Ok anon whatever you say :^
>>
>>3633890
They don' remember, in there mind snes has always been retro. Even on release. 10 years ago snes would have been like xbox today.
>>
>>3633890
>>3634708
I remember

~10 years ago I bought an xbox, did the splinter cell hack, and used it primarily as an NES emulator
>>
>>3633774
Videogames older than 10 years.
>>
>>3634917
>ps3 is retro
>>
>>3634704
My point is that "Retro" still has a completely subjective definition. If you'd like me to go the other way with it, "retro" will ultimately come to be associated with the iconography of a period coming after "antique" and "vintage" and before the point of whatever fresher term kids of today come up with when they no longer want to be associated with our "retro" junk.

Remember that the word "retro" originally entered our wide lexicon to describe design that artificially appealed to nostalgia.

If I were to take a stab at what retro will ultimately come to mean will be in reference to certain modernist objects and styling from the 80s, 90s and 00s.
>>
Oh, and to nail myself down even further where it comes to video games I expect that in the end the Gamecube and PS2 will be lumped in with the "retro" umbrella while the Xbox will be the earliest console to be excluded.

I realize this is "generation splitting" by convention, but Xbox is the first console that homogenized itself to being more or less the same as a PC. Also, released after 9/11 which was the for-real end of the second millennium.
>>
File: 1392762942421.jpg (454KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1392762942421.jpg
454KB, 1280x1024px
>>3633774
Everything early 64 bit and below I can personally consider "retro"

Honestly? I could care less. I grew up with my primary consoles being an original Gameboy and then a Nintendo 64. Was only on rare occasions I got my hands on something like a SNES or even NES.

First game I ever played was probably Duck Hunt though, you fags will probably call me a millennial faggot hipster anyway.

>tfw you were born at the wrong time.

I was lucky though, my folks paid zero fucking attention to ESRB or video games in general, so I got stuff like Doom in pretty early, like 5-6.
>>
>>3633774
After N64 is the end of retro for me
>>
>>3633774

My personal feeling ends at ca the GC, the N64 and PS and Saturn are the last retro consoles, with 240p low poly graphics and 2D. From the GC on the graphics look too "life like" to be "retro" which also will never change, as reality doesn't change, therefore the step in direction of realism the GC made compared to the N64 will always be the same as you can always see how much more you can campare it to reality than N64 graphics.
I personally don't count the DC as retro but can see its unique between- gens status.
>>
>>3635282
My 3 1/2 year old enjoys retro games but he also has extremely high standards for what earns one of his highest accolades "like for reeeeal!" and ONLY HD 7th gen+ games qualify.
>>
>>3633872
It is very very specifically defined. Anything reminiscent of the recent past. Technically NOTHING posted here is 'retro'.
>>
>>3635325
Definitions change.
>>
4th gen, because 3rd and 4th gen were mostly the same crowd, and people before that stopped playing games after 2nd gen. 5th gen brought in different people and things started to change. 3rd gen can be thought of a vague (re)starting point for games.

I guess you could also argue 2nd gen and before is retro and nothing else, but most people don't.
>>
>>3633774

Retro is a MINIMUM 15-20 years. Anything newer than that is not retro in the slightest.
>>
>>3633774
Personally I just go by the dictionary definition used by everyone in the world except some hipsters. Obviously I have brain damage and muh lennial lobe is missing.
But for the purpose of discussing vidya with kids I'm OK with anything that's been out of production for a few years. In particular if it's no longer officially supported.
>>
Texture-mapping and T&L marked the end of retro in my opinion.

3D is OK, it just has to be flat or Gouraud shaded.
>>
>>3633774

Anything after Dreamcast and Game Boy Advance will never be retro to me.
>>
>>3633774
20 years is my threshold for retro, so Duke Nukem 3D and the N64 just barely make it.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.